[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is Tekken the only prominent 3D fighting game at the moment?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 6

File: kazumi.jpg (47KB, 730x439px) Image search: [Google]
kazumi.jpg
47KB, 730x439px
Why is Tekken the only prominent 3D fighting game at the moment? You'd think that there would be room for another 3D fighter that would contrast with it, namely something simpler with easier movement and execution, something with more obviously contrasting characters. weapon-focused, magic-focused, whatever... OK basically Soul Calibur. But the later installments of that series haven't been that successful and it is doubtful whether the series will return at all. But if it doesn't, I'd expect another series to take its place.
>>
Anyone else love Kazumi's voice.
>>
closest you're gonna get are those over-the-shoulder fighters like Naruto
>>
Sonybros and casuals are the ones keeping Tekken alive,

I like Tekken, but VF, SC and DoA are better franchises.
>>
BLOODY ROAR REBOOT WHEN
>>
>Slowly approaching yellow ranks
>With none other than Lars

I'm going to make it!
>>
>>383506940
I do. And her hairstyle. And her outfit. And her looks in general. But the fighting style is one of the most boring ones, a real shame. My mind always keeps going on the same loop "Damn Kazumi's such a grand-MILF, I want to play her... Oh I forgot, she hasn't got any cool moves.. Damn such a GMILF, I want to play - oh I forgot..."
>>
File: literally tekken.jpg (81KB, 800x1000px) Image search: [Google]
literally tekken.jpg
81KB, 800x1000px
>>383506885

Because fighting games have been dropping the ball and the ball has been dropped so much now we have to meme out the most cancerous fighting game series of all time
>>
>>383506885
I think it is because they are so much more expensive to make than say Shit Fighter V, but don't necessarily make more money. People still think of 2D fighters when they think of fighting games. There were actually a lot of relatively major 3D fighters, but almost all of them are dead

>SoulCalibur (I will forever mourn this)
>Virtua Fighter
>Bloody Roar

And more.

Dead or Alive recently got a revival, but the devs quickly gave up on pushing it as a fighting game and instead went back to 100% just focusing on fan service.

Virtual On is getting a new entry, but it looks to be a ways away.
>>
>>383507084
I almost posted a pic of Bloody Roar in the OP but then thought Kazumi might better catch the attention of all the waifufags which is the whole population of /v/. I have never played it but among the dead 3D fighter franchises it looks perhaps the most interesting besides SC.
>>
>>383506885
3D fighting games are way harder and expensive to make than 2D ones. With FG being a niche market no one wants to risk.
>>
File: unnamed.jpg (56KB, 530x297px) Image search: [Google]
unnamed.jpg
56KB, 530x297px
>>383506885
Because the last other prominent 3D fighter got turned into fucking this
;-;
>>
>>383507546
DOA5 got a shitton of gameplay adjustment patches. They gave up on it this year though.
I want more VF and BR
>>
because Virtua Fighter is literally too complicated for mass appeal and Namco killed Soul Calibur because they fail time and time again to understand why everyone on their mother loved Soul Calibur 2.
>>
File: BloodyRoar.png (159KB, 356x336px) Image search: [Google]
BloodyRoar.png
159KB, 356x336px
>>383507546
>yfw there will never be a bloody roar 5
>>
>>383507970
>tfw you only like Soul Calibur because it let you make your own fighter
>>
>>383506885
Bloody Roar is dead since forever
SEGA is on the verge of bankruptcy so no VF
They fucked SCV beyond belief so no SC
DOA is doing okay I guess? But it's not like anyone actually cared of it as a fighting game
>>
>>383508146
the later title's customization options were great, but from a gameplay perspective the SC games got worse every release since 2, and V was fucking retarded.
>>
Tekken is pretty fun to play at entry level. You need to learn a couple of combos to punish and you're good to go. You will be able to pick up a lot just by fighting different characters. Also, the way the combos are built, you don't have to go for the hardest ones. Just know your launchers and screwdriver moves, you can squeeze in easy bits in between those.
>>
>>383507031
I wish those were good, but they went for the easiest solution available: all the fancy shit is left for the cut scenes supers. I really think they could go for a great Smash like game, Narutimate was already half way there.
>>
>>383508410
>You will be able to pick up a lot just by fighting different characters.

What the fuck. Hell no. Tekken is very knowledge/lab/practice-room heavy. It's very juggle heavy and those can't be learned on the fly (good ones anyway), there's tons of different mechanics, the move lists are bloated and have many bullshit gimmicks that you have to watch a tutorial to learn to deal with it.

The only casual friendly thing about Tekken (but a very crucial one to its success I guess) is that cool stuff happens when you mash buttons. Beginner level Tekken is random as hell but visually appealing.
>>
It's no wonder IMO that VF and DoA aren't doing well when we have Tekken, as they don't contrast with it that much (in an obvious way). But give me new Soul Calibur or new Bloody Roar or something similar.
>>
>>383509060
When you get hit by the same low time and time again, you will be forced to learn blocking/parrying it is what I meant. When you can't beat the other player spamming the same shit, you will be forced to learn dealing with it. It's not like a new player will be matched with pros right away.

You don't have to go for the complex combos, it's just not mandatory.
>>
>>383509568
VF isn't doing well because it almost doesn't exist and it's managed by Sega, the down syndrome potato of the vidya industry.
>>
>>383507827
Just fucking reboot it at this point
>>
>>383507546
I miss Powerstone. Not exactly a high skill-cap game, admittedly, but it scratched that same wacky itch as Smash.
>>
My dream is that because of some random meme YouTube video people will start playing some old 3D fighter at significant numbers which inspires the company of the game release a new installment in the series.
>>
>>383510747
I like your dream.
>>
>>383506885
3D fighting games take a lot more work to make and Soul Calibur and Virtua Fighter are dead. DoA is too busy making endless DLC to bother with another game that won't make nearly as much money as lewd outfits do.
>>
>>383508331
>V is retarded
>SC2 from a gameplay perspective and not in a content perspective
Yes, anon. Parry and Step The Game was so high depth in comparison to V.
>>
>>383507827
Damn japs and their pachinko ruining everything I love
>>
>>383511352
The older gambling addicted generation will be dying off soon so the hopefully the market will shrink. People that actually grew up playing Castlevania, MGS, SC, etc will demand more real games instead of this pachislot bullshit.
>>
>>383506885
>she uses the dumb tiger move
>i demon flip/Hadoken the shit out of her
>>
File: 689958.jpg (185KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
689958.jpg
185KB, 1000x1000px
After playing Eliza and Akuma i really really want Tekken x SF to happen so bad
>>
>>383511762
I'm still pissed they turned Eliza into a SF-like character. There was no reason to give her a meter and so many QCFs.
>>
>>383512341
for a certain new crowd who only play cute girls
>>
>>383508331
What is retarded about V gameplay? Other than sideways movement being discouraged at high skill level.
>>
File: DAJ8l8KVYAIA92j.jpg (22KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
DAJ8l8KVYAIA92j.jpg
22KB, 300x300px
What the fuck is it with Bloody Roar fags coming out of the woodwork lately? Like half a year ago you'd barely see anyone even acknowledge its existence, now every damn motherfucker seems to have been playing it since ST.
>>
>>383506885
There's Pokken and DoA.
>>
>>383507084
>>383507637
The only major drawback of bloody roar is these days it would attract the furfags to it like never before. So we'd probably end up with a DoA scenerio except "sexy" outfits for your animal form. And as much as I want a new entry in the BR series, it's probably best to let it stay dead if that's the case.
>>
>>383509781
Sega is doing good, they're slowly becoming less xenophobic. Maybe if region-free VF5 wasn't inside FUCKING YAKUZA 6 and had online it'd get players again.
VF6 FUCKING WHEN
>>
>>383513737
>it would attract the furfags to it like never before
If that helps the game's success, then I'm all for it. Then again, a new BR coming out is just wishful thinking.
>>
>>383513737
man, get over yourself. turning into beasts that can fuck up your opponent in 1 string is kino as fuck

>>383513415
eat shit, /v/ not only playing pleb tier games for once is something to celebrate and BR has been namedropped around here for a good while longer
>>
>>383514367
>not pleb tier games
>Bloody Roar

Funny joke.
>>
>>383514367
yiff in hell furfag
>>
>>383513737
>it would attract the furfags

Who cares? Hating a game based on its fanbase is dumb. Sonic games are still fun despite having the most autistic fans in the history of gaming. There's a 1000 page fanfic with ponies in the Fallout universe, so no series is safe when it comes to faggotry.
>>
>>383514457
not even a furfag
monsters and shit are just cool

>>383514449
it's esoteric in the sense that a median gamer may have been playing all their life and never have known about it, it's pretty alternative. yeah plebs can still get into it, but I'd trust their palate to be more developed than their peers'
>>
VF is a pretty in depth game. The only reason it is not big, is because it isn't flashy.
>>
because the fighting game won't play anything not made by capcom
>>
>>383514934
Unaesthetic fighting games deserve to die to be quite honest.
>>
>>383515186
>Unaesthetic
A matter of opinion.
>>
>>383515186
prettier than you
>>
>>383516057
Nah, I don't have many things to brag about - but being pretty is among those few things.
>>
>>383516457
post yourself
Thread posts: 54
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.