[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How did a unity game made by a developer who never made a game

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2

File: ori vs nintendo.jpg (726KB, 2808x1082px) Image search: [Google]
ori vs nintendo.jpg
726KB, 2808x1082px
How did a unity game made by a developer who never made a game before, funded by one of the worst publishers in gaming manage to make a better platformer than Nintendo, a company known for making the best platformers
>>
>>383442919
Subjective opinion
>>
>>383442919
>implying ori and the story forest has better platforming than any nintendo game released in the past decade
it's a cute game with a unique art style and solid platforming, that's why it succeeded
>>
>>383442919
unsubtle bait is unsubtle
>>
>>383443491
>>383443518
>>383443686
t. never played Ori
>>
Nnitendo platformers are built on a legacy that it pioneered back when games were very simplistic, and their design philosophies are forever rooted in a foundation of nostalgia for that simplicity.

Modern platformers have the luxury of their audience being familiar with all sorts of platforming mechanics that have evolved over the decades, so they are free to experiment and do whatever they want without expecting a Mario game to be like Mario or a Metroid to be like Metroid. That advantage comes with the trade off of never being able to attain Nintendo levels of ubiquity.
>>
>>383445305
so nintendo doesn't try because they know their fans will buy it anyways
>>
>Literally who the game
>Better than Nintendo shit
O I am laffing
>>
>>383445445
They don't try because if they deviate from the formula too much, fans will bitch about it. If they ever try anything different or actually creative with a new IP, no one buys it. They can't win, their only option is the obvious one.
>>
>How did a unity game made by a developer who never made a game before
You're shitposting and you know it but for those that don't, these were all industry professionals who worked as a bunch of freelancers/contractors online to make this game. Hardly "indie" from their MS funding and hardly inexperienced.
>>
>>383445785
and Nintendo is full of industry professionals who are still phoning in games
and i never called the game an indie
>>
>>383445445
lol yeah, Nintendo would never do anything out of the ordinary like,

Make a Mario game where you play as Yoshi and eat enemies and toss eggs, or,

Turn Metroid into a first person game that still captures the platforming elements from the earlier games, or,

Make a Kirby game where Kirby pilots giant robots, or,

Hand over tools to make Mario levels to fans.
>>
>>383442919

>talking shit about Tropical Freeze

Bitch I'll smack you
>>
File: 1497381891080.gif (2MB, 446x324px) Image search: [Google]
1497381891080.gif
2MB, 446x324px
>>383446487
pff yeah nintendo would never do that, remember the narritive guys,
nintendo is just rehashes, they cant possibly innnovate
>>
>>383446487
>Make a Mario game where you play as Yoshi and eat enemies and toss eggs, or,
WOAH THAT'S FUCKING CRAZY MAN
>Make a Kirby game where Kirby pilots giant robots, or,
that's hardly innovated.
all it adds on is, you have all the same powers, but now you're bigger
>Hand over tools to make Mario levels to fans.
New Super Mario Bros 5, make it yourself edition
>>
>>383446623
It's bait. No one has even played Metroid: Samus Returns.

I've never played Ori so I can't comment on it.

He may very well be right. Ori might be the most badass game to come out in 20 years. That's not a reflection on Nintendo though.

This guy isn't an Ori fan. He's someone who is, for some reason, insecure about his choice of toys and wants to hate on Nintendo because of it.

It's trendy to hate on Nintendo. Just like it's trendy to hate the Yankees or the Lakers or Disney Movies.
>>
>>383446784
>it's okay for Nintendo to phone in a lot of their games just as long as they make a few good games
>>
>Responding to console war bait
Just report the goddamn thread.
>>
>>383446849
>It's bait. No one has even played Metroid: Samus Returns.
it's supposed to be a remake of the Gameboy Metroid
>I've never played Ori so I can't comment on it.
play it
>He may very well be right. Ori might be the most badass game to come out in 20 years. That's not a reflection on Nintendo though.
kinda is considering the 2D platformer genre has been in a slump for the last 20 years but this manages to improve upon that. Shame on Nintendo, a company that still makes these games in mass hasn't figured to actually improve upon them
>>
>>383446849
>It's trendy to hate on Nintendo. Just like it's trendy to hate the Yankees or the Lakers or Disney Movies.
>please stop expecting more from Nintendo!
>>
>>383447678
>11 posters
>20 replies
>being this desperate
>>
>>383448117
what are you implying?
>>
>>383445305
Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze wasn't built on nostalgia, and if that game is simplistic then every other game is.
>>
Shut the fuck up. Ori is on the level of artistic indy trash.

https://youtu.be/Bd2T-QjRQPk
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.