[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can somebody explain to me why "you shouldn't want

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

File: 1471675780330.jpg (5KB, 460x215px) Image search: [Google]
1471675780330.jpg
5KB, 460x215px
Can somebody explain to me why "you shouldn't want to play all of the game you bought" is deep and meaningful commentary? Both this and Spec Ops: The Line chastise you for playing to completion, but it all just falls flat for me. The developers created content for the players to view, then slapped them on the wrist for wanting to see what they'd made.

I'm not trying to start a shitfest. I just don't get it.
>>
>chastise you for playing to completion
It did no such thing, you're just playing a character doing bad stuff, it's the character that gets punished, not you
>>
>>383424567
2015 called and it wants its fucking thread back.
>>
Undertale has a tasteful examination of common player behavior that is entirely voluntary, spec ops railroads you and then tries to make you feel bad for it.
>>
>>383424567
It's not chastizing you. It holds no moral high ground over you. It just established a set of rules and you're allowed to play how you like within them.

It clearly made a point to say the monsters wouldn't like it if you killed them. You're free to do it. The monsters won't like you.

So yes, you're free to "play the game to completion" but part of the game has negative undertones in response to your actions.
>>
That's like saying the developers don't want you to play hard mode because the game is actively resisting your attempts to complete it.
>>
>>383424567
>Play the evil route
>Get a bad ending
>WOOOOOOW DUDE HOW WAS I SUPPOSED TO KNOW
The permanent corruption of your save file is gay as fuck though.
>>
>>383425290
Can you show me a game with a hard mode where the characters break the fourth wall by addressing the MC (and by extension the player) for wanting to be challenged? Silly text descriptions for the modes don't count.
>>
>>383424567

I understand what you mean and i agree, it's stupid, it's like having a book that tells you, "don't turn to the last page or everyone in the book will die!"

The game try to guilt trip the player through his actions but the player action are determined already so what should you be guilty about? It's like having a moral choice without the fun of the choice part
>>
>>383425447
>The permanent corruption of your save file is gay as fuck though.

"permanent"
>>
File: 1418139982249.png (96KB, 600x295px) Image search: [Google]
1418139982249.png
96KB, 600x295px
>be a sociopathic genocidal maniac
>characters react accordingly
>somehow this is bad
The very end of it was gay shit but up to that point it was pretty well done. If you cared about the characters' well-being while going down this route you weren't playing the role correctly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWBtpBwzzdM
>>
File: 1484255054717.jpg (37KB, 1024x672px) Image search: [Google]
1484255054717.jpg
37KB, 1024x672px
>>383424567
>you shouldn't want to play all of the game you bought
That's a gross misinterpretation of the commentary in those games.
The devs of those games fully expect anyone who bought their game to finish as much content as they desire from the game, especially ALL of the content in that game.
What they're doing is pointing out the absurdity or triteness in the design of many games and the behaviors most game devs expect from players.
Because they're addressing concepts relevant the real world, it's reasonable for those games to address the real world, i.e. break the 4th wall, so the player can pick up what they're putting down.
Now you might say in response
>But that's stupid and I don't care about that shit.
That's completely and totally okay
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.