[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can someone explain to me why people like this series/game so

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_6106.jpg (118KB, 400x293px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6106.jpg
118KB, 400x293px
Can someone explain to me why people like this series/game so much? I like it but it seems very overhyped and I don't get why people are so obsessed with it.
>>
>>383408293
Hipsters just like to namedrop it as a way to prove their gamer """cred""". It's like with Zelda, except people actually played those games.
>>
Smaah Bros made it popular, no one knew about it before
>>
great music
rpg that isn't weebshit
>>
>>383408293

At this late in the game it would be useful to read up on the creator, Shigesato Itoi, and his general vibe/reasons for making the game, beliefs, etc to clear your mind of the fanbase and random bullshit. It's a deep philosophical game (ayylmao) that obviously may feel much less so given that it was made in like 1995 on the SNES so it may feel super old news to you.

Helps to be touchy feely as a person. Does not help to be a sjw tumblr hipster faggot. This was made before that time by a dude who loved blues music, the beatles, and hippie shit.

People always forget hippie shit is NOT modern day hipster sjw tumblr shit
>>
>>383408436
Fucking undertale sold better than breath of the wild, no one plays zelda
>>
>>383408293
I used to make threads just like this one to troll M2 fangoys on /v/.
>>
>>383408653

Didn't that unironically happened with fire emblem in west?
>>
It's fun
>>
unusual setting, quirky writing, good graphics and sound
>>
I'm 35 years old

I played Earthbound when it came out, along with all of the other snes greats...

I feel that it was overrated desu. It did have a cool feature where you could play one handed, using only the d-pad, L button, and select button, so you could eat with the other hand. That was kinda of neat. Otherwise I didn't get it. FF3/6 and CT seemed a lot better to me.
>>
>>383408293
You don't have to like it, OP. /v/ isn't a total hivemind just yet.
>>
I felt the same way when I played Earthbound, playMother 3 and you'll find out, faggot.
>>
>>383408293
decent feel good story, great music, the npc dialog is very fun and quirky and the whole game is full of charm and a lot of heart. these days it's overshadowed by stuff like Mother 3 and Undertale, but back then it was amazing for its time.
>>
>>383411076
Yep
>>
>>383408293
Japanese RPG with an innocent but sincere plot that is neither overly clichéd nor pretentious.
Great sprites, good musics, original setting, some jokes here and there, and some more serious stuff too, but the game is never an ass with it, insisting too much on it.

It aged a bit unfortunately. I tried to do it again some months ago and the pacing of the game is a bit inconsistant, and some fights are really tough.

Maybe you could try Mother 3, it fixed most of Mother 2 issues, while keeping the same gentle but emotive tone. It's a fantastic game imho.
>>
>>383411230
>good graphics
graphics are one of its weaker points especially when you factor in that you don't even see your characters in battle
>>
Mother 3 isn't very similar to the other 2 games at all.
>>
>>383412132

lol
>>
>>383408293
I'm convinced its popularity is the result of a social experience from whoever runs starmen.net. Those guys over there simply raided eBay and bought every copy at any price. After doing that forever it's self-sustaining, with the game being basically the most expensive SNES game for no good reason.

Years ago I bought Earthbound for $2. I think that's about the right price for it
>>
>>383411849
>overshadowed by Undertale
>Undertale
b8
>>
>>383412589
social *experiment
>>
>>383408293
>can one person explain why people think a thing?
no they cannot.
>>
>>383412132
Battles are indeed not the strong point of Mother 2 visually speaking, but the graphics outside of this are very good. Of course Chrono Trigger was WAY MORE impressive in terms of technic, but Mother 2 just adopted a very simple and yet very lively graphic style, which suited perfectly the atmosphere of the game.
>>
>>383413050

Enemy sprites are well detailed but lack animation, in line with old Dragon Quest games. The backgrounds are trippy and psychedelic.
>>
>>383412589
if retro games where normalized i would expect games like earthbound, megaman x, chrono trigger, super mario world. ect to be around the $20-30 range while junk being $5 and obscure but maybe good games being $10-20

i think they used to run around this price in 2003-ish.
>>
File: tumblr_m7qynaAqzX1qhuulj.jpg (82KB, 500x384px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_m7qynaAqzX1qhuulj.jpg
82KB, 500x384px
>>383411232
Fellow oldfag here.

> be 12
> read Nintendo Power, Howard and Nester will not shut up about Earthbound.
> wow, this looks really cool. It's an RPG that takes place in modern times.
> live in backwoods
> can not find the game anywhere.
> not at Kmart, not at Blockbuster

This is '94. As a middle-school kid, you could not purchase every game you want off the internet. You had to know a dude.

> go around looking for game
> find issue of EGM with an-order-by phone number
> call purchase line
> [sold out]
> be dad to take me to Egghead software
> dude behind counter looked confused
> "we sell computer games, not console games, here"
> dejected
> 13th birthday
> gift wrapped box the size of a game cartrege
> it's a Famicon edition of Mother 2
> dad bought it from the clerk under the table
> no SNES adapter
> years go by
> dad dies
> more years go by
> be in my 20s
> have kid of my own
> more years go by
> me early 30's
> my son turns 12
> give him 3 boxes
> 1st box: my original SNES from when I was a kid
> 2nd box: the copy of Mother 2 his grandpa gave to me
> 3rd box: a Super Famicon converter I bought off e-Bay

Little shit doesnt speak Japanese, but he plays it everyday.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.