[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm interested in getting involved in a "competitive"

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1

File: compgaming.jpg (231KB, 1280x721px) Image search: [Google]
compgaming.jpg
231KB, 1280x721px
I'm interested in getting involved in a "competitive" video game.

I am pretty well versed in games in general, I have 500 game completions on my backloggery. But I guess today it is all about being able to hold your own against people in a live competitive environment and the single player aspect is all but dead.

What is a good competitive game to start with that isn't so old I won't be able to improve against anybody of my skill level.
>>
>>383400754
Real answer that /v/ won't like is League of Legends.

It is the most played competitive game now. It is more polished than DOTA2, and in most countries it is the easiest game to find other players.

If you are college aged there are collegiate teams in America (idk about europe), as well as local and regional tournaments that you can compete in.
>>
>>383401204
Well, I am 30.

I still take come classes in computer science paid for by my employer but I don't know if that makes me college aged.

I played DOTA when it was new on Warcraft 3 and while I found it interesting for a couple of days I didn't really enjoy it.
>>
>>383401659
You can still compete in local/regional events, or online tournaments and things of that ilk. There certainly is skill in playing a MOBA solo, but most of the strategy that sets pros apart from the common players is from teamwork and coordination. Despite how toxic the community is reputed to be, you will get people that are looking for partners in voice/etc. You can also find partners/team members on /lolg/ or other websites. /v/ shits on league because the perceived skill ceiling is much lower if you play solo.

If you want to play a solo/1v1 competitive game, you could get into fighting or starcraft. These games have much smaller playerbases, and any other 1v1 competitive games are pretty much dead.
>>
Get into fighting games. Hardest genre with the biggest learning curve.

Or you could always go the moba route where nothing is ever your fault and when you lose it's just your shitty teammates.
>>
>>383400754
>What is a good competitive game to start with that isn't so old I won't be able to improve against anybody of my skill level.

the "old games are only played by seasoned veterans" meme only really applies to very small niche titles.
if your game of choice has a big enough community, then you will find plenty of competition at all possible skill levels.

what kind of competitive experience do you want?
>straight one on one competition
starcraft 2 and other old RTS (dead genre, only starcraft is really alive and even that is dying)
street fighter 5 and other fighting games (insufferable community, especially the anime fighters and smash fanbases)
>team based competition
dota 2 and other mobas (league of legends is basically dota on easy mode, and heroes of the storm is basically league of legends on easy mode)
CSGO and other shooters (CoD is cs for kids, battlefield is CoD for kids who think they are mature hardcore gamers)
>meme "competition"
hearthstone and other card games (might as well just play poker at this point)

i'd say just pick a game or genre that you already enjoy and check out the multiplayer community of it.
>>
>>383400754
do you want to play in a team? csgo, lol, dota
do you want to play solo? sc2, hs

>Well, I am 30.
lol, forget playing comp games
>>
>>383400754
FGs are the only worthwhile competitive games to get into. If you play any other game, namely LoL and CSGO, you'll just be a nobody playing with tryhard chinese and underaged faggots
>>
>>383403021
>street fighter 5 and other fighting games (insufferable community, especially the anime fighters and smash fanbases)
I can't speak for Smash autists, but generally the FGC is incredibly welcoming to newbies. I don't understand where you get "insufferable community" from.
>>
>>383402935
How would I get into fighting games.

The only fighting game I really played was Soul Calibur. Probably my most played Dreamcast game besides D2 all things considered, and I remember at the local arcade here I was "Platinum Edge Master of the Cerberus" in Soul Calibur 2 conquest.

I never really delved into the genre with any depth, or any other Soul Calibur games. I understand they are "the mario party" of fighters.

>>383403106
>lol, forget playing comp games

Yeah this is probably true. I can already feel myself slowing down a bit.
>>
>>383400754
exdotard here, lol is the reddit game and dota is the game balanced by reddit.
bugs that existed for years are fixed the moment reddit complains about them and many of their suggestions get into the game. this shit genre got few years to live
>>
>dota
infested by shitskins, ruskies and beta whites
>lol
dominated by soulless gooks, full of omegas and aspies
>sc2 and other rtss
again dominated by soulless gooks who work 18 hours a day on perfecting themselves on a "strategy" game
>ow
blizzardrones who failed at life
>fighting games
niggers, weebs and social rejects
>csgo
pro scene is %90 numales and redditors. other ten percent is schoolshooter candidates. white on apperance but nigger on mind, cheating is prevalent
>any quake derivative
not a single minority in pro scene. skill cap towers that of csgo and any other fps. truly whiteman's game
dwhy havent you migrated to the true esport that is qc? are you by any chance a shitskin thirdie?
>>
>>383403945
/fgg/ on /vg/
Pretty much pick one of the newest fighting games (SFV, Tekken 7, whatever animu fighters are hot), figure out what system the player base is on (current gen fighters have a small pc playerbase), and buy console+game. /fgg/ has guides on how to get good.

If you want to get into an older arcade fighter, download Fightcade on your pc. Certain games on Fightcade of respectably large playerbases, others are very niche.
>>
>>383403945
>How would I get into fighting games.
shoryuken forums, dustloop forums, and such, depending on the game that you are interested

avoid discords and general threads in the meantime. they don't offer the comprehensive knowledge needed to get good at playing
>>
>>383400754
Rocket League is the best balanced competitive game thats popular. There's no bullshit lag or bugs or imbalanced shit.

If you want something non car related there's

LoL/DotA 2: Prepare to rage at teammates for playing suboptimally and costing you the game.

R6 Siege: Prepare to rage at bugs, lag, and it happens to be the only competitive game in existence that rewards people for having very high ping. Brilliant concept marred by Ubisoft being terrible shovelware developers.

CS:GO: Like Siege but not as clever in game design. On the other hand it doesn't have major bugs and the experience is stable.

Hearthstone (yes its competitive): I don't play it but apparently its a card game for disabled people. Super popular.

Starcraft 2: Its still popular despite /v/ hating competitive RTS games.

Brood War: This violates your caveat that it can't be old and have a high skill entry level. Still its the best competitive RTS. Try SC2 instead of its interesting theres more noobs.

That's all I can think of that I've played/vaguely know of
>>
>>383403106
>>383403945
>>Well, I am 30.
>lol, forget playing comp games

I'm 30. I'm Master in SC2, platinum in Rocket League and Siege, and a few years ago I was 3500-4000 in DotA2.

The only difference between 20 and 30 is you're an adult at 30 and don't spend all night grinding.
>>
>>383405909
>I'm 30. I'm Master in SC2
i'm 33 and i could get to master in sc2 easily, but we're talking about comeptitive gaming, not master shitters who are an absolute trash in comp setting. Trust me, i know.
>>
>>383406359
>I couuuuuld do [competitive thing] but..
yeah fuck off
>>
>>383405909

Ok lets say I want to start Starcraft II, how would I do that. I googled around and some of these videos look pretty overwhelming.
>>
>>383406815
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/sc2-strategy/
https://www.reddit.com/r/allthingszerg/
(or protoss or terran depending on what race you want to learn about)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wzmS19ipF4&list=PLFUDU8AOevUf-8cdOzmuZ5QZqVg3A3VC6

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smlOUOJ2jIU&list=PLubOCgpR4-76PTw6H7ncpjjBotnQReLZG
(Neuro is Zerg centric and much more indepth)

Anyway short and sweet are those links which will teach you what you need, in addition to the ample in game tutorials in the single player campaigns etc.

It is a pretty intense game with a lot to learn, a lot of really quick reactions and things you have to be able to figure out from a moments notice. Its a hard game I won't lie.
>>
>>383406719
>>I couuuuuld do [competitive thing] but..
are you an idiot? master isn't competetive, MAYBE except absolute top master 1 people who aren't in GM for some reason, and even then, low GM aren't even considered pro players by most people, beacuse they mostly suck in tournaments. And i didn't say i could be competetive, because i couldn't, but i could get into master 3, because it's easy as fuck most of the time.
>>
>>383401659
>>383401204
Insider here. You can definitely be part of the League scene, no matter the age. Not even the experience and skill is important. Most of the players and hence teams are not very good competitively. You would be able to kick their ass in soloq and with a good and organized team even in LCS.

The worst thing that can happen is that you will not be known very well. If you happen to catch at least some attention, you can easily transition to streaming, or being a part of the e-sports in a different role. Be it working for Riot, Twitch, Teams, Sponsors etc.

The door to League is open now. The scene is growing but it was underdeveloped thanks to problematics when it comes to financing the professional play. That should change thanks to new financing models. Finally.
>>
Despite what you might have seen online, the offline fighting game community is actually very welcoming, but only as long as you're willing to put in the time to get good and willing to put aside your own pride for a little bit while you're getting good. Shoryuken and Facebook offer outlets for you to get into your local scene. Find out what's popular in the group, practice a little on the game's ranked mode or something to get a handle on things, then get into local practice sessions. In almost every case, a newer player will be shown what they're doing wrong and how to fix it, because at the end of the day everyone else just wants to play against someone who can challenge them.

Side note: If you're looking for money the FGC is not the way to go.
>>
I'm hoping Quake: Champions provides a decent competitive scene.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.