[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why didn't these two games see the same amount of success

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 7

File: OFF_Lisa.png (71KB, 654x241px) Image search: [Google]
OFF_Lisa.png
71KB, 654x241px
Why didn't these two games see the same amount of success as undertale?
Both are excellent games and they both offer close to the same amount of content as undertale. OFF is even free.
>>
OFF is good, Lisa is vastly overrated
>>
>>383381006
both are still better than undertale
>>
>>383380913
no weeb/furry/manchildren pandery
>>
>>383380913
>Both are excellent games
>>
>>383381153
>implying they aren't
>>
>>383380913
They were both very dark and therefore less accessible, yes Undertale had dark moments but it didn't have dismemberment and fuck words.
Same kind of reason why One Piece has been the biggest in the big 3 shonen manga and is the lone one still going.
>>
>>383381307
>implying they are
>>
File: Lisa The Painful storyboard.gif (825KB, 960x612px) Image search: [Google]
Lisa The Painful storyboard.gif
825KB, 960x612px
>>383380913
Undertale has accessible quirky gameplay and a funny feelgood story.

Lisa has unforgiving turn-based combat and a story that makes you feel like shite. It's great, but isn't going to carry the same widespread appeal.
>>
File: 1440772410921.png (17KB, 600x500px) Image search: [Google]
1440772410921.png
17KB, 600x500px
>>383380913
Undertale is a cutesy game with characters you'd find in a cartoon and a feel-good ending for the pacifist route, which is what most people took. At worst, you get a sad moment with Asriel at the end, and if you do the genocide route you get a dark, but rather unoffensive story. Lisa and OFF are much darker and don't have the same kind of lightheartedness to balance it out.
>>
>>383381587
>not giving reasons why they aren't

>>383381135
>>383381474
>>383381604
>>383381702
Do dark stories really put people off? Plenty games have dark stories and are incredibly successful.
>>
>>383381785
>Do dark stories really put people off?
No, it's the exact opposite. Look at Dark Souls or Persona or Death Note or Game of Thrones or anything else """dark""". It's edgy, so it's cool, so people buy it.
>>
>>383381785
I'm specifically saying Lisa is the bad game, making "both" of them not good. But OFF is.
>>
>>383380913
Do people even know those exist? I don't know many people who played LISA but everyone I know enjoyed it a lot. Not sure if Undertale was better marketed, haven't played it.
>>
>>383380913
Undertale had the Homestuck fanbase and Earthbound fanbase behind it for one. It's also an optimistic little game about making friends and relatively easy combat.

LISA is a game about humanity on the verge of dying and all the unpleasantness that comes with that. It's filled with allusions to rape, murder, drug abuse and a general atmosphere of hopelessness. The gameplay is also honestly rather standard fare, if harder than usual RPGs.

You tell me.
>>
undertale is wacky homestuck tumblr comic: the game
off is grimdark as fuck, plus the combat is pure ass
>>
File: can't escape.jpg (85KB, 786x1017px) Image search: [Google]
can't escape.jpg
85KB, 786x1017px
>>383381785
Child rape is taking it too dark for some people.

Especially in video games, which still aren't taken quite as seriously as a medium.
>>
>>383381969
OFF is virtually unknown outside of /v/ and Lisa had some success but is relatively unknown when compared to undertale

>>383382013
>being a shitter
>playing on auto
>>
Never played off. Anyone recommend a good place to download it?
>>
>>383380913
Both of them have shit gameplay
Lisa has shit story too
>>
>>383382287
https://rpgmaker.net/games/6697/downloads/6084/
>>
>>383380913
OFF came out almost a decade ago and was translated half a decade ago. Any hype that it could have had came around slowly. It's been talked about to death as probably one of the best RPGMaker games.

LISA didn't succeed on the same level because of an awkward release time at the end of the year where most reviewers have already blown their load over everything else. Undertale came out in September 15', where everybody with any sort of clout could say it was good and for it to stick around in people's memories. Also, no one knew who the fuck Dingaling was.

Also, Toby Fox had a guaranteed fanbase from the demo and Homosuck. Heck, it was fairly well liked on here before the actual release.
>>
>>383382149
>being a shitter
>playing on auto
getting "gud" doesn't make you enjoy trashy JRPG gameplay
>>
>>383380913
LISA is shit, though.
>>
>>383382475
I found the whole timer mechanic very fun and it made it very frantic, especially when one of your add-ons are low on health and poisoned.
>>
>>383380913
>games that are uncomfortable and disturbing sell less than a game filled with cutesy animals
It really doesn't take a genius to figure this one out
>>
>>383382380
Obliged.
>>
>>383380913
wtf is off?
>>
File: Wally.jpg (136KB, 500x735px) Image search: [Google]
Wally.jpg
136KB, 500x735px
>>383382657
>tfw we will never get a Wally plushie
>>
>>383382657
I LOVE grim dark shit. I hated LISA though because the story isn't actually good and the gameplay is shit. Admittedly, I only played the first hour or two of the game. I tried to play through it on three separate occasions because some on /v/ claimed it's a great game, but it being boring combined with uninteresting gameplay made me give up on it every time.
>>
>>383380913
OFF and Lisa both have dreadfully boring combat systems that made me want to just get it over with when I got to the last stretches. Say what you want about which game has the better story, but at least Undertale's combat was varied enough to keep it interesting.
>>
>>383382784
>only played the first hour or two
Not for nothing, but I don't think it's fair to judge the story after the first hour.

Probably won't change your mind about the gameplay though.
>>
>>383381604
>Lisa combat system
>anythinf other than braindead easy
>>
File: good day.png (554KB, 540x540px) Image search: [Google]
good day.png
554KB, 540x540px
>>383383209
It's not complex or anything, but it's easy to ruin your run and lose your best characters to RNG events and Russian Roulette.
>>
>>383382784
I played it more or less like a walking simulator, fighting being lame as fuck but still kept going out of curioristy to see what kind of places I'd get to and how the story would develop. And it still ended up one of the more memorable games I played last year. If you don't like the story and worldbuilding it's probably not worth playing though.
>>
File: Why LISA isnt popular.png (97KB, 1858x848px) Image search: [Google]
Why LISA isnt popular.png
97KB, 1858x848px
>>
>>383383435
now that's just embarrassing
>>
OFF! had a big following on tumblr. Because of the way it was translated/release later without fanfare meant people only discovered it a while later through word of mouth, and that prevented it from really exploding in popularity like undertale.
>>
>>383381006
OFF aged terribly.
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.