[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Am I the only one who wasn't blown away by the "would

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3

File: atlas.jpg (10KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
atlas.jpg
10KB, 480x360px
Am I the only one who wasn't blown away by the "would you kindly" plot twist?

I don't understand why Fontaine decided to hide his motivations from you at all. He's got you where he wants you, why fuck around with trying to pretend he's Atlas by this point in the game? The power struggle has already broken out. He can just order you around with "would you kindly" without the pretense of anything else.

And why didn't Andrew Ryan didn't just say "would you kindly kill yourself?" to get you to fuck off?
>>
Well, back in 2007 I think a trick like this was a lot more novel. I think it was received well at the time because a lot of people hadn't experienced anything like this.

I think the problem was that the trick was in service of tricking the player, not the main character. It's kind of contrived but I have to give the game credit for thinking like that. It's kind of interesting to think about how a part of the game could have different meaning to the player than it does the characters in it.

Of course, it would be nice if as a bonus it makes sense in context... I guess the answer is that it doesn't make sense, but it works at the time. It doesn't hold up when you really start to think about it like this though...
>>
This is why video games can never be art, they're too juvenile.
>>
>>383380427
>And why didn't Andrew Ryan didn't just say "would you kindly kill yourself?" to get you to fuck off?
he was a man of principle
if anything he knew his time was up and killing you wouldn't stop the end of him and rapture
all he could do was show you your puppet strings, which while it was technically helping you, was a last act of power he could use against you
>>
>>383380762
I mean yeah, I understand how it might've blown people's minds because it was a 4th wall manipulation. Atlas seems like a stand up guy to you so you want to work with him. I think in the moment it might be brain blasting, but very shortly after the twist was revealed to me my immediate thought was "Why didn't he just do this from the beginning?"
>>
does anyone know why Atlas was trying to get to that sub that had his "family" in it? the one ryan blew up. Was he trying to escape to the surface?
>>
>>383380427
it would be much better if they didn't shove it in your face to make sure you see it. It kills fun from twist, like explaing a joke.
Dropping you into lab and doggo record right before revealing it, to make you you didn't forget it was lame, Flashbacks to make sure even mouth breathers will get what it's about were acepalm indicting.

If you drop story twist, do it in one stroke and leave rest for player to figure out.
>>
File: AndrewRyan.jpg (45KB, 640x400px) Image search: [Google]
AndrewRyan.jpg
45KB, 640x400px
>>383380427
>>383380937
>And why didn't Andrew Ryan didn't just say "would you kindly kill yourself?" to get you to fuck off?
Plus, didn't he realize that Jack was his son?
>>
File: Shodan SS3 Concept.jpg (114KB, 1000x636px) Image search: [Google]
Shodan SS3 Concept.jpg
114KB, 1000x636px
Fontaine turning out to be Atlas manipulating Jack is the same exact twist as Shodan pretending to be Dr. Scientist whomever manipulating goggles.
Levine is a hack.
>>
>>383383195
why did he even care in the first place? He was spermjacked, and Jack wasn't even fully human
>>
>>383380427
>Am i the only one
Yes. You're alone in this, in the whole universe you're the only one of a kind.
Idiot.
>>
>>383380427
No, you're not unique, regardless of what your teachers told you.
>>
>>383383404
Probably just the principle of the thing. Rapture and his dreams for its future were too far gone, so Ryan wanted to go out on his own terms in the end.
>>
>>383383581
It's a turn of phrase you outrageous autist.
>>
>>383380427

Because he wanted to prove that you were a slave and not in command of your own actions, everything he hated in a person. He knew Rapture was dead so had nothing else to live for other than to show his son that he was Fontaines puppet.
>>
>>383383730
No, its fucking retarded. You saying stupidest shit and calling it normal doesnt make it normal, dumbass.
>>
>>383380937
>>383383930
Then why did he spend so much of his time trying to stop you and prevent you from getting to him?
>>
>>383385062
You literally have autism.
>>
>>383380427
You weren't the only one. It was the same trick from System Shock 2, and back then it wasn't impressive either. Levine is a hack and his games are contrived and generally suck.
>>
>>383385231
he was jerking off and didnt want you to interrupt him
>>
>>383380427
>I don't understand why Fontaine decided to hide his motivations from you at all.

Better to be safe than sorry. I forget just how strong his control was supposed to be, but imagine if you found out you were being controlled. Imagine you happened to get away from him and he lost control of you. You would use your freedom to figure out a way to escape from his control. There is no reason to show your cards just because you think you have the game set.
>>
>>383385821
The control was pretty strong. Ryan commanded you to do just about anything, even kill him at the end so that he could be vindicated that he was a man and not a slave. His characterisation was on point, Fontaine's wasn't though.

Towards the end he tells you to go get stepped on by a big daddy and seems surprised that it doesn't work. So that assumes that with that sort of control even commanding Jack to suicide isn't off the table.
>>
>>383386446
>strong

I think maybe strong wasn't the right word to use.
I mean how dedicated are you supposed to be at task X that you are given. Meaning if he tells you to go through a door, but the door is impenetrable, are you going to keep hammering at the door until you die, or are you going to recognize it is a futile attempt and be released from his latest task (supposing you know for sure you it is impossible to go through that door)?
>>
>>383385317
Not him, but it's pretty reddit. "Am I the only one who [extremely common opinion]" for those sweet upvotes. Learn to express yourself without using cliches
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.