[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why does almost every upcoming game feature combat? When wil

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3

File: 1493769676239.jpg (62KB, 320x371px) Image search: [Google]
1493769676239.jpg
62KB, 320x371px
Why does almost every upcoming game feature combat? When will developers realize that combat is holding video games back as a medium?

https://youtu.be/9Sq-EjKYp_Q
>>
>>383280827
>John McIntosh
ohhhh shit LOL
>>
>>383280827
is this one of those pretentious hipster videos i see everywhere nowadays
>>
It's very difficult to make anything but conflict simulators. For example, I think a game in which you play a diplomat trying to mediate conflicts might be interesting, but even cutting-edge natural language processing is completely inadequate in parsing and responding to your arguments. If you tried to make something out of such a concept, it would be a CYOA barely-a-game at best.
>>
Videogames ARE combat. Ever since Spacewar! came out
>>
Because combat is a style of conflict that lends itself easy to the medium of video games. Complete battles of wits only work in puzzle games, and that's just a visual metaphor for people fighting anyway. What's the last great game you played where argumentation is the primary mechanic?
>>
>>383281732
CYOA would be better than gunning everyone down to solve their conflicts. We need more fresh ideas like Offworld Trading Company. It's an RTS with no guns and therefore no violence. You "fight" with the in game economy.
>>
>>383282169

>no guns and therefore no violence

How many do you expect to reel in with this one?

In any case, economic violence can be much more damaging than physical violence.
>>
>The Unfulfilled Potential of Video Games

Fun, responsive and engaging gameplay with minimal handholding, scripted setpieces and less emphasis on graphical fidelity.
>>
>>383281447
yes. This faggot is gonna tell you all about videogames.
>>
>>383282353
>In any case, economic violence can be much more damaging than physical violence.

Hahaha what? We're talking about a video game here. If anyone suffers as a result of you taking over other companies in game, it isn't shown to you. That's like saying Katamari Damacy is a violent game because all the people you roll up are eventually blasted into space and turned into a star.
>>
>>383282482
So essentially the potential that indie and Japanese games are already fulfilling, then?
>>
File: 22MJVbx.jpg (44KB, 480x384px) Image search: [Google]
22MJVbx.jpg
44KB, 480x384px
>>383282169
>CYOA would be better
But then what was the point of making it a game?

There's plenty of non-violent games or games that are designed such that non-violence is a viable and supported playstyle (such as many 4X strategy games). Given the difficulty of making games that aren't conflict simulators and conflict-simulators that don't involve violence, I'd say such games are well-represented, despite the fact that there's a big demand for games about violence. For example, there's countless armchair generals and armchair soldiers interested in reliving past conflicts at the comfort of their armchair without having to get hurt or hurt people (although it's worth noting that some of them really want to do tedious paperwork or actually see the horrors of the war first-hand, not all people want glorification of violence even when dealing with subject of war) and far fewer who want to play a doctor operating on wounded soldiers for instance.
>>
>>383280827
You mean like Everybody's Golf, Gran Turismo Sport, Madden 18, Cities Skylines, etc etc etc.
>>
>>383284575
Those games aren't original ideas. Just retreading tried-and-true genres.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSBn77_h_6Q
>>
>>383282580
>If anyone suffers as a result of you taking over other companies in game, it isn't shown to you.
Eve says what up
>>
>>383284575

The first three have conflict in the way that you have to beat others in a competition
>>
>>383283584
>tedious paperwork
Papers, Please was great.
>>
>>383286423
Eve is a violent game nonetheless. Point me to a more mature game that doesn't appeal to redbull-chugging 14 year olds.
>>
>>383286658
Conflict != combat. I'm specifically talking about the overabundance of games that use physical violence to drive gameplay.
>>
>>383286702

subjective

I found it boring as hell, if I'm going to do stressful paper work I would just get a job that requires it
>>
>>383280827
Because that is the essence of a "game"

Anything else is a "simulator"

People have forgotten what a game is.
>>
>>383285118
But what about violent games? Let's consider games about war for instance: there's a bazillion conflicts they could be about just a few conflicts are extremely over-represented (WW2, ACW etc) and it's difficult to find games from even some of the largest and important conflicts in the history (for example, this recently changed but there weren't many noteworthy WW1 shooter games, and as far as I know, to this day there's no strategic-operational computer wargames that even remotely compare to WW2 ones in terms of detail: compare something like Commander: The Great War to War in the East/West).

Perhaps there's just a fairly limited scope of games people are interested in playing (or developers know how to make, or dare to for financial reasons)? There's clearly a market for games in which you operate heavy machinery, a market for games in which you design cities, a market of games in which you manage a football team or games in which you play golf. But why aren't there games about operating cash registers, designing clothes, managing circuses or playing curling? Actually, let's make it "many/noteworthy games" because ALL OF THOSE GAMES EXIST Probably for the same reason there really isn't games about Russo-Japanese War or Wars of Spanish Succession (actually, there does seem to be /tg/ wargames, but I didn't find any vidya after a quick search). And the reason there isn't [insert innovative non-violent game concept] probably is the same why there really isn't, say, any tactical games in which you design battle plans like a historical general would as opposed to having relatively omniscient control even though that's a fairly obvious idea: they're difficult to design, difficult to execute, and appeal is all but guaranteed.
>>
>>383286840
>Conflict != combat
>physical violence = gameplay
>is overabundant
Wow. Really? How can you be so dumb.
Conflict may be violent, thus involving combat.
Physical violence alone can't be considered gameplay.
Overabundance may be due to the fact that competitive game, involving various kind of conflicts, are popular.
>>
File: fun.jpg (2MB, 2816x2112px) Image search: [Google]
fun.jpg
2MB, 2816x2112px
>>383286702
Agreed, although I was thinking of hardcore wargaming (which is way closer to tedious paperwork than glorification of violence, even if you do send thousands to their deaths).
>>
>>383282105
Ace Attorney
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.