[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>revolutionary, skillbased, and tight gameplay. Still the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 5

File: quake-logo-papel-de-parede---wal.jpg (710KB, 1278x958px) Image search: [Google]
quake-logo-papel-de-parede---wal.jpg
710KB, 1278x958px
>revolutionary, skillbased, and tight gameplay. Still the crème de la crème when it comes to competitive multiplayer
>great level design
>great aesthetics
>great enemy design
>great sound design
>great soundtrack
>great lore
>massive and dedicated fanbase providing support to this day

How did it all go so right, lads?
>>
>>383276921
>>massive and dedicated fanbase providing support to this day

uhh...
>>
File: [confused HUUUH].gif (100KB, 805x540px) Image search: [Google]
[confused HUUUH].gif
100KB, 805x540px
No idea.

>half the team wants to make a futuristic shooter
>have of them are ALREADY making an open-world medieval RPG
>someone made a bunch of egyptian art assets, too
>mash them all together, throw in some doom-esque guns
>somehow it turns out great
>>
They still had Romero.
>>
>>383276921
You obviously don't play quake because the fanbase is tiny and I almost never see more than 10 people on at a time. Quake 2 and 3 are much more popular which is a shame because ztndm3 is only fun in quakeworld.
>>
>>383277049
Quake is still insanely popular despite its age and the death of the arena shooter m8. While games like CoD and Battlefield draw in a large crowd during their initial release they quickly vanish into obscurity less then a year after. Quake has managed to draw in and hold a massive and dedicated fanbase who actively supports the game with mods and level packs.
>>
>>383278067
Meme. Quake is still has a great modding community backing it up.
>>
>>383277049
It's not massive, but he's right that it's dedicated. You can still find Quakeworld games and the single player fans are still making massive map sets and mods to this day.
>>
>>383278130
Popular in which way?

http://steamcharts.com/app/282440
>>
>>383278540
Dummy.
>>
>>383277093

Pretty much. It's one of those games that works perfectly almost despite itself.

>>383278384

Yeah, anyone who hasn't played Arcane Dimensions should get right on that.
>>
>>383278672
Not an answer or an argument.
>>
>>383278384
it's dead as fuck
>>
>>383278384
Can we really call them dedicated if all the players, aside from a few autists, have vanished?
>>
>>383278951
hop in any of the various irc channels and find someone to play, man, that's still way more than you'd expect for a game from over 20 years ago
>>
>>383279390
quake 2 has a much tighter knit community with tastyspleen DM hitting 16 players daily
>>
>>383279262
>ded·i·cat·ed ˈdedəˌkādəd/
>adjective
>(of a person) devoted to a task or purpose; having single-minded loyalty or integrity.
Yes. Size of the group doesn't matter, what matters is the group still exists.
>>
>>383279493
quake 2 is arguably better balanced plus people seem to prefer instagib railguns to overpowered lightning guns
>>
WHAT SERVER?
>>
>>383279520
I don't know, your goalposts are starting to wear thin. The majority of the fanbase is not dedicated, as evidenced by the extreme lack of them playing. I wouldn't call them dedicated anymore.
>>
Practically a lucky accident. It is great though. The sound design truly is amazing, the game still sounds very full even if you disable the music which can't be said of other games of the same time period, or most games that came later too. Only flaw is the weak feel of the guns.
>>
>>383279821
103.11.67.137:28503
i haven't been on a computer in over a week lets do this
>>
>>383276921
It also has a really good VR mode, i played through the og campaign and arcane dimensions with a Rift and loved it.
>>
>>383279985
I'm not even the OP you originally replied to, dude. Your logic is all fucked up- the fact any fanbase still exists at all to make content is a testament to its dedication. No goalpost moving about it, considering I agreed that said fanbase can't be considered massive in any sense of the term, but anyone willing to learn the tools to make maps and mods for a game over two decades old is dedicated in my book. No different than the tiny dedicated fanbases for all those other old, nearly forgotten DOS games, including other id stuff like Keen.
>>
>>383280156
>weak feel of the guns
are you kidding the rocket launcher and lightning gun are obscenely strong to where nothing else comes close in terms of power and online revolves around those two + GL
>>
>>383279520
But then one guy can be a "dedicated playerbase". Or if one guy isn't a "playerbase", then two guys.
>>
>>383280278
Mechanically yes but the sound and feedback are very weak
>>
>>383280161
I'll be there
>>
>>383280269
By your logic you could call any fanbase dedicated because each one still has one retarded autist who won't let go.

Sorry, your argument is incredibly weak. Just give it up, stop embarrassing yourself.
>>
>>383280161
Shit my client crashed and the server seems down
>>
>>383280421
where did you go
>>
>>383280708
Then yes, that one retarded autist counts as the dedicated fanbase. Are you inherently angry at old games or something?
>>
>>383280834
>>383280809
>>
>>383280809
its still up try again
>>
>>383280934
if you can't join just pick a different KTX server and link me the IP
>>
How old were you when you realized that id Software 1992-2003 (Enemy Territory) is literally the GOAT and always has been?
>>
>>383281259
id software didn't make enemy territory
also doom 3 mp was god tier
>>
File: beast4.jpg (431KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
beast4.jpg
431KB, 1920x1080px
>>383276921
Fucking hell, I want a remake of it with the idTech 6, something like the Shambler's Castle mod.
It's so damn sad that the author dropped the project a long time ago
>>
>>383281392
I know but I'm counting it anyway.

I never played multiplayer with Doom 3 back in the day, but if it was anything like Q4 MP I can guarantee you were just imagining things
>>
>>383281509
>wanting a 10/10 game to be remade in an objectively worse engine
Neck yourself, you can't even go fast in idTech 6
>>
>>383281509
>Shambler
>not fuzzy
It's shit.
>>
>>383281710
>watning to keep that old as fuck and outdated engine
Here's (you)
Quake Champions seems pretty fast
>>
>>383276921
>boring monotone levels up the ass
>only way to make it challenging is to ramp up the enemy attack rates and make them spongy as fuck
Fucking dare tell me that fighting ogres, shamblers or death knights is fun.
I like the overall feel and the atmosphere, but c'mon, it's nowhere near the quality of Doom.
>>
>>383280809
game crashed but GG
there's a lot of tricks to ZTNDM3 you didn't know which is why i got so many frags

>>383281596
it's nothing like Q4 MP and even if it was, Q4 with q4max is like quake 3 but faster
>>
>>383282603
>only way to make it challenging is to ramp up the enemy attack rates and make them spongy as fuck
Difficulty doesn't change enemy health.

Ogres are literally more fun than any enemy in Doom 1 or 2 and if you disagree, you're an idiotic doombabby who thinks 'mow down slow cannon fodder enemies with easily avoidable, also slow projectile attacks with your kill-all shotgun' is the epitome of good gameplay.
>>
>>383282749
GG I fucking suck, was fun though
>>
>>383282874
don't feel bad that's the nature of quakeworld
your best chance was to go for the yellow armor and LG and try to ambush me as i went for red armor
>>
>>383282979
thanks for the tips
>>
If Quake is so good, why there isn't a Quake ASSFAGGOTS?

Checkmate quakers!
>>
>>383283087
if you want to try to get into quakeworld duel you can watch kovaak's guides online from youtube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLmuRRm1Bag&list=PLxP7tvMqaXzDjw7OYYIEbplCdZOaHLFPg
>>
>>383283242
Honestly, a MOBA with Quake's pacing could be interesting.
>>
>>383282603
Deathknights no but ogres are fun as fuck as are shamblers. You do realize that enemies in Quake have weaknesses, right? The game is all about weapon switching, it's not Doom. Also funny you mention ogres because the difficulties increase their fire rates and make them really fun to fight.
>>
>>383283273
also alternatively check out CPMA since the community is more active than quakeworld and you can easily get games from the discord and have a higher chance of playing newbies
>>
>>383282749
>Q4 with q4max is like quake 3 but faster
Still doesn't seem to have similar physics, but I've never heard about this mod, might reinstall
>>
>>383283636
>>383283273
thanks, ill check out CPMA
>>
File: shot00321.jpg (793KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
shot00321.jpg
793KB, 1920x1080px
>>383283698
it fixes a lot of the issues with the main game and implements options for brightskins and things of that nature
quake 4 is an objectively faster game than vq3 and lets you keep your momentum with crouchsliding
D3 has a promod as well and is still played but it's regular strafe jumping + stair jumps, slope jumps, and lift jumps
>>
>>383284002
>quake 4 is an objectively faster game than vq3 and lets you keep your momentum with crouchsliding
But is it as acrobatic? That's a major part of what makes Q3 good.
>>
>>383284145
well yeah it's closer to CPMA than VQ3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tDC5V3TZCQ
>>
>>383283882
make sure to get the DEZ installer and not the package from playmorepromode.org because that one is out of date and shit
>>
I'm an oldfag but I never had a PC capable of running Quake when it came out, so I never got to play it. Finally managed to give it a go a few months ago and it is absolutely one of my favorite games. The atmosphere, the smooth and responsive controls, those fucking guns, that music, that level design.

I just wish Bethesda would pay somebody to give Q1 an updated release so you dont gave to go looking for the right way to run it.
>>
I thought Wolfenstein 3D was better then Quake. And more fun.
>>
>>383285969
Peek around corners and shoot : the game
>>
so what do quakefags think about painkiller?
https://youtu.be/b56dp-EdnYE?t=20m45s
>>
>>383285969
Wolf3D is the fucking best. My childhood was knife only runs of the entire game. Fuck I love killing nazis.
Thread posts: 64
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.