[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

alright lads So, two games, Player Unknowns Battleground and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: deadgame.jpg (17KB, 293x164px) Image search: [Google]
deadgame.jpg
17KB, 293x164px
alright lads
So, two games, Player Unknowns Battleground and The Culling. They're both battle royale games

The Culling is dead. PUBG is far from it. Why?

Is PUBG just one of the lucky ones in the battle royale genre? Does the genre not have room for other games?
I've heard a lot of complaints about the culling (I've never played it), but I want to know if they are the reason the game is actually dead
Any ideas? Is it the fault of the genre or the game?
>>
are you asking why the game from 2 years ago is dead by the game from 3 months ago still has players?
>>
I have no idea. I don't play those games, but there is H1Z1, DayZ and those kind of battle royale games and I also have the same question, they kind of like rotate in a spotlight, seems like 4 or 5 months into the future other game will take its place.
>>
>>383206620
So you think its purely about age then?
Even still, 3 months into The Culling, it wasnt doing nearly as well as PUBG is now

>>383206684
Good point, and maybe I'm just being naive in thinking PUBG will be different
To clarify I dont play the games either. PUBG looks good admittedly but its a bit pricey
>>
>>383206506
>>383206898
You are comparing a no-name, straight ripoff of BR with crafting elements and the work of the person who single handedly made BR game modes popular.

I fucking wonder why PUBG is so much better, since it's the same exact fucking thing as the other popular BR game modes like ARMA's, but stand-alone and not leaning on a broken "simulator" engine.
>>
>>383207919
So you would say it is the quality that killed it?
As I said the question was really is this a problem with the game or the genre, you clearly think game.
>>
>>383206506
PUBG is doing well cause it's a well made game and it's a lot more balanced. The Culling is mostly derived around melee combat and the devs kept fucking it up making it all about who can cheese the game the hardest.
>>
>>383206620
The Culling wasn't REMOTELY as popular as this game.
>>383206506
The Culling was melee focused, thus lag/desync hits the game much harder. The game had a REAL balance problem with perks, which none of the other similar games use. There was not-fun metas like Golden Arm which gave a damage boost to throwing shit so really defeats the purpose of melee.

They basically could not balance the game, and people would rather have launch balance than what they gave. They also fucked up by trying to overhaul blocking/staggering/parrying mechanics and people just got fed up.
>>
>>383208316
>>383208505
yeh so it seems it was the fault of the game, not the genre. Good to know, cheers lads
>>
>>383208316
>>383208505
These 2 posts are right. The Culling had serious balance issues that got worse and worse every time they tried to fix it.
>>
>>383208684
Well it's definitely not the genre, PUBG, H1Z1 King of the Hill, and Ark are all still in top ten on steam charts and for the later people mostly just play the battle royale version.
>>
>>383208245
>>383208245
>bad marketing with no preset fame
>niche genre game
>online only with bad hit detection
>small map
>little content and no updates
>25$

as supposed to
>already set name for himself
>niche genre game MARKETED TOWARDS the target
>still online only, but doesn't rely on broken hit detection
>fuckhuge map
>multiple game modes (solo, duo, team)
>loads of people on same map
>content pouring in left and right
>better balanced
>vehicles

PUBG is just the more polished, more thought out game. Culling was riding on the dying hype of Hunger Games and the devs probably have never even seen the original Battle Royale.
>>
>18 people playing the culling right now
>there are literally not even enough people playing to have 2 full games
>>
>>383209092
This is a brutal example of how competition between businesses and products works. The bad stuff have no place on the top.
>>
>>383209171
Especially in multiplayer games, where players that leave one game to play another actually hurt the original game
To be clear Im not saying thats the wrong thing to do
>>
>>383209092
You knew the game was dead when they changed it so you only need 8 people for a singles match for it to start.

>>383209171
And you could say it was competition but The Culling was dead well before PUBG was even a thing. I would say really the devs themselves destroyed their own game.
>>
>>383206506
The Culling died when they added the weird, disjointed, counter system where you become inexplicably unable to block and start glowing yellow. It felt way too gamey, and had no real life parallel.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.