[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Want to play this sometime soon, do I play the snes version or

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 147
Thread images: 11

File: chrono.jpg (22KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
chrono.jpg
22KB, 480x360px
Want to play this sometime soon, do I play the snes version or PS1 version.

I'm leaning towards PS1 because neat cutscenes, but I keep hearing SNES, why?
>>
>>383110854
Neither, go ds.

Snes has a weird translation and the ps1 version has terrible loadtimes and the weird translation. Ds has the cutscenes, postgame content, and the best translation.
>>
>>383111359
arigatou kami-sama
>>
>>383111742
I don't speak dumbass but okay.
>>
Never play the ps1 version because load times.
>>
the added content in the DS version is lazy and not anywhere near the quality of the original game. fortunately it is optional
>>
I hate the tiny text on the ds game. It really bothers me for some reason.
>>
>>383110854
Play SNES first because of faster load times and better music/sound effects.
Then DS if you want extra content and a refined script but not really required.
Beware of the PSX version because yes the load times are awful.
>>
Ps1 has long loads. DS is for babies and tiny screen. Play it on the snes with a crt you pussy.
>>
>>383111907
>>383113579
>>383114498
wouldn't playing it on an emulator solve the loading problem?
>>
>>383114498
Ds is the best you fucking idiot.
>"I played as a kid on snes so that makes it the best"
>>
>>383114587
Playing on an emulator still gives you the shitty script of the snes version. Play ds dude.
>>
>>383114587
Emulators are for neets, lazy cheap fucks and kids. The game is worth owning.
>>
>>383110854
the best version is the ds one.

If it was a 3d game, the ps1 version on an emulator, upscaled to a good resolution would be the best one, but sprites dont look good upscaled
>>
>>383114634
Go play it on your 3 inch screen faggot. Men will play it on the snes.
>>
>>383114751
you described 95% of /v/ in that sentence
>>
>>383114587

No.
>>
>>383114845
That's why this place is worthless. It can't even have a proper collection thread because no one has jobs here.
>>
>>383114836
Enjoy shit like Frog being the only person from 600 AD with a accent. Don't forget that someone close to you needs help fast either.
>>
>>383115073
then why are you here? gtfo
>>
>>383110854
neither, play the ds one. If small screen is a problem, just get a ds emulator
>>
SNES for better music quality, DS for better translation and anime cutscenes but with awful optional content you should ignore, don't play PS1 because loading times out the ass
>>
>not owning the SNES version and the PS1 collection version
I thought /v/ being shitters was just a meme...
>>
File: Chronocrossbox.jpg (116KB, 256x244px) Image search: [Google]
Chronocrossbox.jpg
116KB, 256x244px
What went wrong?
>>
>>383115567
Nothing. It's KOTOR 2 to CT's KOTOR 1.
>>
>>383110854
OK, let me give you the run down on this shit.
The Playstation version has ass load times. It takes like 5 seconds to start every battle, or go into your menu. And the anime cutscenes plat *on top* of the in-game cutscene. So you end up seeing the same thing twice anyway. Plus, the anime cutscene can't account for your party configuration. Which typically means you only see the main character, and perhaps the required supporting character for that portion of the game. It just looks awkward that characters are missing. And the cutscenes don't add anything. They're overrated.

The DS version is actually trash. First off, the screen resolution is smaller. The color palette has been skewed more yellow, so all the colors are slightly off. The bonus content is all half baked garbage that breaks the awesome pacing of the main game. An embarrassing monster battling mini game, and a giant fetch quest bore with reused assets, ultimately rewarding you with broken super equipment that completely trivialize the battle system.

Autists will tell you the new translation makes it worth it. But honestly, the differences are super minor. And the new translation actually removes a good amount of flavor from one character.

Ultimately, the PS1 and DS versions were failed ports. The PS1 version failed for being technically inadequate. The DS versions failed by muddying the experience with gimmicky bells and whistles. Stick with the SNES version. It's pure.
>>
>>383115143
>implying I'm not getting paid $27 an hour right now while taking a break.

Someday when your balls drop you might be doing the same thing.
>>
>>383115096
>Frog having a flavorful manner of speech is a bad thing.
>>
>>383115096
Not him, but I like the accent thing because it provides some context for why he was picked on as a kid. The real annoyance of the SNES translation is all of the fuckups in syntax and punctuation, but there's a patch for that.
>>
>>383115507
It's not. None of these idiots even own games around here.
>>
>>383115975
Ironically the only reason I never sold the Snes version for beeg American dollars, which I have a complete set on (including original box) is because I read the manual while shitting. It's a good manual.
>>
>>383115714
This guy is a nostalgiafag.

The original snes version is okay but the better translation is worth it. The colors barely fucking matter, unless you actually constantly compare them he change is nearly unnoticeable.
>The bonus content is all half baked garbage that breaks the awesome pacing of the main game. An embarrassing monster battling mini game, and a giant fetch quest bore with reused assets, ultimately rewarding you with broken super equipment that completely trivialize the battle system
You are never at any point forced to ever do any of this, not an argument.
>And the new translation actually removes a good amount of flavor from one character
Yeah I loved wondering why the fuck Frog spoke like no one else from his time period, really adds to the game.

That was cute and all nut no, just stop and say you have nostalgia.
>>
>>383115883
>Frog having a flavorful manner of speech is a bad thing
No one else in 600 AD talks like that, it makes him feel out of place and doesn't work. If everyone did, even if they didn't originally, I would forgive this but this is just shitty.
>>
neither, play the ds version of final fantasy VI
>>
>>383114751
>giving money to literally who slant eyed fucks
fuck off gook cum guzzler
>>
>>383116438
There isn't one, though.
>>
>>383116438
FFVI is shit compared to CT.
>>
File: 364.jpg (16KB, 400x356px) Image search: [Google]
364.jpg
16KB, 400x356px
>>383116438
>final fantasy
this shit is way too fucking cringy
>>
>>383115567

Everything but the soundtrack.
>>
>>383111359
But it has a tiny screen.
>>
>>383116148

If the DS version was the fist one you played, how would you know the new content from the old?
>>
>>383116809
Most people have working eyes. Get glasses or stop complaining.
>>
>>383115567
Same thing that went wrong with Xenogears, I imagine.

>Square allocates all their big budgets to FInal Fantasy, but will fund small games to generate sales and interest and to test their engines
>Director gets a budget for a small game
>Ambition gets the better of him and he decides to make the game much larger in scope than anyone anticipated
>Goes to Square for more time and funding, but they turn him down because they need those resources for Final Fantasy IX
>Game ends up rushed and unfinished

Note that I'm not basing this on any evidence, this just seemed to be the pattern for some of their games.
>>
>>383111359

This. Go with the DS version unless you can read Japanese, in which case, well, SFC or DS version will do.

>and the best translation.
It does, yeah. Though Tom Slattery (I think he's the one who worked on the DS version?) fucked up Mazoku though. Mystics fit better than Fiends. Still, DS version is better overall.
>>
>>383116910
>intentionally doing damage to your eyes to play an inferior game
>>
>>383110854
I didn't even know there was a PS1 version until now.
>>
>>383116874
Because the new content is forced as fuck, even if someone only played the ds version they would be able to say "this thing seems to have been incorporated weirdly".

New content was last minute shit to tie CT to CC better, unless you're a lorefag it won't matter. Why this doesn't matter is that the new content is NEVER forced on you, if you don't want to do it the game won't even tell you anything about it.
>>
File: Color Comparison.png (143KB, 512x223px) Image search: [Google]
Color Comparison.png
143KB, 512x223px
>>383116148
>The original snes version is okay but the better translation is worth it
It's really not. The DS translation doesn't preserve some meaning that was otherwise loss in the SNES translation. Not anything significant anyway.

>The colors barely fucking matter
Crono and the gang look like they have Jaundice.
Hekran cave is green instead of blue. All the color on the DS version is done over with a lazy yellow color filter

>You are never at any point forced to ever do any of this, not an argument.
True, but regardless, that stuff is always brought up as a plus for the DS version. When in fact, it's at best nothing, and at worst, a negative.

>Yeah I loved wondering why the fuck Frog spoke like no one else from his time period, really adds to the game.
It adds flavor to his character. Better than him speaking like everyone else.
>>
>>383117030
>intentonally playing a inferior version of a game
No reason to go back to snes.
>>
>>383116268
>No one else in 600 AD talks like that
So? Why is that a an issue. Sounds like you want uniformity like someone with OCD who can't deal with something being unique from the bunch.

I watch the game get streamed all the time, and everyone almost instantly falls in love with Frog, and his way of speaking.
>>
File: 1498351325257.gif (2MB, 236x224px) Image search: [Google]
1498351325257.gif
2MB, 236x224px
>muh tiny screen
Get a DSi XL. Shits crisp as fuck.
>>
>>383115714

>ultimately rewarding you with broken super equipment that completely trivialize the battle system.

It's not like that doesn't happen already by the end of the game if you do every sidequest.

>Autists will tell you the new translation makes it worth it. But honestly, the differences are super minor. And the new translation actually removes a good amount of flavor from one character.

Since I've played the game in Japanese and am a professional translator, would you like me to tell you why this is wrong, or are you just going to say "STFU nerd, that doesn't affect the gameplay"?
>>
>>383117091
>The DS translation doesn't preserve some meaning that was otherwise loss in the SNES translation. Not anything significant anyway.
Arguable, still things were altered. Some of Ayla's lines were altered to be less explicite in the snes version.
>a cave went from being blue to green
Wow, amazing argument here.
>It adds flavor to his character. Better than him speaking like everyone else
No, it makes him seem distant from everyone else. Why would he speak like that when no one else does?
>>383117221
People like Frog because of his character, he is more then a funny accent.
>>
>>383117363
>>383117389
Shh, you guys are using logic, the nostalgiafag may not like that.
>>
>HAHA I SAID NIGGER AREN'T I SHOCKING AND SO FUNNAY

kys OP
>>
>>383115832
You don't have to lie to feel better about yourself, if in the wild chance you're not, then reconsider your life choices that made you end up here trying to claim superiority in an anonymous board

Faggot
>>
>>383117549

I have a feeling that u mad.
>>
>>383117389
>It's not like that doesn't happen already by the end of the game if you do every sidequest.
True, you get some strong stuff by end game normally. But it's still balanced enough that Lavos gives you a bit of pushback, so you feel like there's a chance you might not make it. And in fact, I have witnessed players fail to Lavos with end game equipment.

But I feel sorry for the poor soul, whose first game was the DS version, and they completed all the "bonus" fetch quests. And then got gear so powerful, they only needed to tap A to beat Lavos.

>would you like me to tell you why this is wrong, or are you just going to say "STFU nerd, that doesn't affect the gameplay"?
Since you are a professional translator, would you mind giving an example of how the DS translations is significantly superior to the SNES version? And then I'll give you my take on it.
>>
>>383117705
>would you mind giving an example of how the DS translations is significantly superior to the SNES version?
not him but I think having things like proper grammar and sentence structure is a pretty good example
>>
>>383116994

Xenogears was definitely overly ambitious, there's so much stuff in there that could have easily been cut in favor of the important stuff that gets abridged later. A good editor would have done that game a huge favor.

CC on the other hand never had a chance. The game has the feel of bad fanfiction from the start and structurally is a huge mess.
>>
>>383116994
Seems like director's fault.
>>
File: 1487958530564.jpg (39KB, 573x598px) Image search: [Google]
1487958530564.jpg
39KB, 573x598px
I tried to go back and play it on my DS version and I couldn't get back into it. Felt too old and archaic. Was my Childhood favorite.
>>
>>383111359
This.
>>
>>383117030
>doing damage to your eyes
Not the console's fault you have subhuman eyes.
>>
>>383115832
>$27/hr

lel poorfag
>>
>>383117423
>Arguable, still things were altered. Some of Ayla's lines were altered to be less explicite in the snes version.
Like what? Ayla commenting on Marle's small breasts? The implication remains, even if the line is tamer in the SNES version.

>a cave went from being blue to green
>Wow, amazing argument here.
Why are you trivializing such a drastic palette change? They can't just change a color palette like that, and expect the environment to give off the same mood. Don't you understand anything about color theory? The fact that the cave is green, just goes to show how they handled the palette of the entire DS game. They just slapped a yellow filter on top. Blue+ yellow=green. They weren't diligent enough to actually go through the environments and fine tune the palette. That's hwy all the characters look like they have yellow skin, and Crono's normally bright blue tunic, is dull. Lucca's bright purple hair, is now dull almost brown hair. Etc.

>No, it makes him seem distant from everyone else. Why would he speak like that when no one else does?
"Distant" is a weaselly way of describing someone who stands out. Frog spoke like that, because it gave him more of an honorable air about him.

>People like Frog because of his character, he is more then a funny accent.
His accent is a reason why people like him though. They read it, and it makes them laugh. Their first impression of Frog, is that he's different than your normal human character, he hops, and he has a cool manner of speech. They instantly fall in love before the whole character building with Cyrus stuff.
>>
>>383117768
Only grammar Nazis notice or care about some minor grammar mistakes.
>>
>>383110854
Is there a romhack for the snes version that provides the DS script?
>>
>>383117705

As far as translation goes, there's a lot of shit I could cover. Wish I still had my notes from when I played through the game, but I'll just pick a few things.

- I imagine I don't need to mention Frog, but I will. Even if you don't care that he only spoke in a polite tone to royalty and normally any other time, his (very bad) faux Elizabethan speech style makes no sense when literally no one else in the era speaks like that.

- The "Someone close to you needs help fast" line. Confused people for years.

- The tone is changed in certain scenes. Take Magus' meeting with Frog at the top of his castle. It's had some comedy inserted into it for no reason in the English versions, which is something that bothers me. It's not like Chrono Trigger is bereft of comedy, why shove it into one of the few serious scenes in the game?

- There's various mistranslations here and there. I seem to recall something Lucca second before the second to last boss fight being flubbed, but I don't remember the specifics. Can look it up if you want.

- Censorship, if you care about that. Some people just don't understand why someone would, but it's really important to some people.

- I think Woolsey messed up something when they were all chatting about the Entity?

Basically, it may night be a huge night and day difference, but the DS version is more accurate and consistent overall, and makes more closer experience to the Japanese version and a more coherent feel overall. It's not perfect. Black Dream was still left as Black Omen, Mystics was better than Fiends, but it has more improvements than not.
>>
>>383118325

>because it gave him more of an honorable air about him.

Which he wasn't supposed to have. His character was drastically changed in the SNES version. He went from a vengeance seeking but good guy to ye olde honourable knight.
>>
>>383118523

may not be*
>>
SNES, because it has no fucking weaboo cutscenes.

That and it loads a little bit faster.
>>
>>383118452
https://www.chronocompendium.com/Term/Translation_Differences.html

Defend literally all of this.
>>383118804
You turn cutscenes off as well as skip them by pressing start. Maybe if you played the game you would know that.
>>
>>383115096
>njoy shit like Frog being the only person from 600 AD with a accent.
Instagrambabbies don't get it. Frog was a refined, posh, super noble Knight. That's like watching a Batman movie and saying "herr derr nobody talks all refined like Alfred the butler!"
>>
>>383118938
>You turn cutscenes off as well as skip them by pressing start. Maybe if you played the game you would know that.
Uh, the op was asking which version to get. PS1 version has shit cutscenes (regardless of whether you can skip them or not, because most of the retards from your generation can't play a game that doesn't have 26 hour of cutscenes).
>>
>>383119147
>Uh
Why did you type this, are you this retarded?
>retards from your generation can't play a game that doesn't have 26 hour of cutscenes
So basically you have no actual way to argue? Just say you were wrong. If you don't like the cutscenes you can turn them off. Nothing wrong with admitting you were wrong.
>>
>>383118938

I just wanted to say that Magus works fairly well, actually. The term for the monsters in the Nip version is Mazoku (魔族). "Ma" (魔) is commonly translated as devil/demon, but it has other implications as well. It's kind of hard to describe, but it's something you pick up eventually. 魔 also has magical connotations (zoku is just tribe/people, by the way. It's not as important as 魔), which fits since they are strange creatures, creatures who can either use magic or are magical/otherworldly in some way. Mystics works rather well I think, a damn sight better than "Fiends" (though it'd make sense for their enemies to call them fiends, but if I get into that I'll digress too much). Magus is Maou (魔王) in Japanese, which I'm sure most of you know. It's normally translated as Devil/Demon King/Dark Lord/etc. However, given the reason for translating Mazoku as Mystics, it'd make more sense for him to be "Sorcerer Supreme" or "Lord of Mystics" or something, but that obviously is way over the space limitations. It's not perfect, but Magus fits, since magus is a sorcerer.

But yeah, most of the other stuff I probably wouldn't defend.
>>
>>383119297
>Why did you type this, are you this retarded?
Being this much of a post fag.
>So basically you have no actual way to argue? Just say you were wrong. If you don't like the cutscenes you can turn them off.
Yeah, you can turn them off, but op wasn't asking that. He was asking if the cutscenes made it better than the SNES version, dummy. And still doesn't changed the fact that the SNES version loads quicker than the PS1 version.
>>
>>383118523
>Even if you don't care that he only spoke in a polite tone to royalty and normally any other time
In which version? As I remember, Frog always speaks formally in the SNES version, no matter who he is addressing.

>his (very bad) faux Elizabethan speech style makes no sense when literally no one else in the era speaks like that.
I think it's fallacious to think that one must speak uniform to others. That's your OCD getting triggered.

>The "Someone close to you needs help fast" line. Confused people for years.
Right. But ultimately, it didn't affect the quest. Whether you regard or dismiss the line, comprehension of the story will remain unchanged.

>Take Magus' meeting with Frog at the top of his castle.
The line about kissing princesses?(I think that's what he says) It makes Magus sound more dismissive of Frog. Gives Magus an arrogant tone. The DS version is a more generic, "Ah so it's you again" kind of thing.

>There's various mistranslations here and there
I'm sure there are. But they're likely all minor.

>Censorship, if you care about that.
I do, but not enough to recommend the DS version. We don't need to read the words "ale" and "sake" to know characters are drinking alcohol. It's a minor issue in comparison to something visual like the color palette.

>I think Woolsey messed up something when they were all chatting about the Entity?
Dunno about this.

>Basically, it may night be a huge night and day difference
My point exactly. The translation is not refined enough to warrant a recommendation over the SNES version.
>>
>>383118647
>It's a shame the SNES translation made his character better than intended. It's a good thing the DS version made him more mundane.
>>
>>383116470

> being racist while anonymous on the Internet

wow brave
>>
>>383119494
We're talking the ds version here, no one in thier right mind plays the ps1 version. Have you not been reading the thread?

If all you're saying is the ps1 port is shit then fine, I agree.
>>
>>383118938
>Defend literally all of this.
I'm sorry, but I don't think that showing a bulk of minor changes only an autist would care about proves anything. Like who fucking cares if they're called fiends or mystics? Who cares if they're called tonics or potions.
That's such minuscule nitpicky shit.
>>
>>383119637
>We're talking the ds version here, no one in thier right mind plays the ps1 version. Have you not been reading the thread?
OP:
"Want to play this sometime soon, do I play the snes version or PS1 version."
This is what I replied to. Are you mentally disabled?

The DS version has it's own problems (small screen, dull, uninspired translation).
>>
>>383110854
I played an actual snes cart of this recently. Very fun. I want to play the PS version at some point for the cutscenes though.

>>383111907
>>383113579
>>383114498
When you say it has long load times, are they equivalent to the load times in the PS ports of final fantasy V and VI?
>>
>>383119507

>In which version? As I remember, Frog always speaks formally in the SNES version, no matter who he is addressing.

No, he speaks in an odd way no one else in the era does, and is always putting on an honorable knight tone, which just doesn't fit his character.

>That's your OCD getting triggered.
No, it's the fact that it sticks out like a sore thumb and is the result of the localization. Woolsey wanted everyone in that era to speak in faux Elizabethan like that, but he didn't have time.

>Right. But ultimately, it didn't affect the quest.
But a new player would have no idea what he's talking about and would end up confused.

>I'm sure there are. But they're likely all minor
Not as minor as you'd hope. Woolsey was a good localizer, but he made some horrible mistakes. I can't exactly blame him as he translated JRPGs by himself, I'm sure I'd fuck up too if I had to translate a text heavy game by myself in a month, but still, mistakes are mistakes.

No hostility, but I find it funny that you care about minor color differences enough to count them against the DS version because they affect the mood, but you write off dialogue differences most certainly do affect the mood as being "minor things".
>>
>>383119794

A lot of people, obviously. And yes I know, everyone who doesn't think the same way you do is an autist.
>>
>>383119896
>No, he speaks in an odd way no one else in the era does
So everyone in a certain era of humanity speaks the same? Are you a fucking psychopath? Frog was a wanna be posh knight who spoke like some fancy pants in order to impress his royal employers.
>>
>>383119507
>Right. But ultimately, it didn't affect the quest. Whether you regard or dismiss the line, comprehension of the story will remain unchanged
Yes it did. It literally confused the fuck out of players and most thought you could save Schala from this one shitty line. If convincing players that they are missing something isn't major then you're crazy.
>The line about kissing princesses?(I think that's what he says) It makes Magus sound more dismissive of Frog
No, it sounds out of place. This is literally the big confrontation of what is believed to be the main villain, the dumb joke feels unfitting.

Also as >>383119896 said calling others autists for not liking script differences while sperging out at some color differences makes you a hypocrite.
>>
>>383120153

>Frog was a wanna be posh knight who spoke like some fancy pants in order to impress his royal employers

Why are you using the incorrect localization to prove your points?
>>
>>383120153
You're telling me it's normal to have everyone talk one way and have one, just one, person talk a different way is normal?
>>
>>383115096
Ayla has an "accent" too.
>>
Play DS.
Don't let any nostalgiafag tell you otherwise.
>>
I wish I could enjoy CT but the "here's a map, here's what you have to do now wander aimlessly until you accidentally trigger a plot-related event" approach doesn't appeal to me.
>>
>>383119876
Any load time is a detriment for how well the game plays. The transition from the field to battle mode is perfect in the DS and SNES versions. Even the small stutter the emulators have in the playstation version dampens the enjoyment of how awesome it is to hear Crono draw is sword and the bassline of the battle music kick in.

And honestly, the cutscenes don't add anything to the game. They come after the scene plays out in the game engine and your imagination fills in the blanks just as well.
>>
>>383120298

Broken cave person speech isn't an accent, it's broken cave person speech, which, unlike Frog's random speech style, was actually in the original version.
>>
>>383120208
>Why are you using the incorrect localization to prove your points?
Because it fits his character perfectly. He was the little engine that could of knights. He tried so fucking hard (even going so far as to speak like some royal douchebag born with a diamond spoon up his ass) but at the end of the day he was too small and weak to be the hero.

I think the translator wanted everyone in 600AD to talk like this, and that would have worked as well, but it would have affected Frog's character. It's one of those serendipitous things that just works.
>>
>>383120352

I'm sorry, but are you 12? Do you really need a big, glowing arrow pointing you where you go in fucking Chrono Trigger? The game where there's usually only a couple places to go at any given time for most of the game and always makes it clear where to go if you read the mandatory dialogue?
>>
>>383120298
Ayla's "accent" is used by every other human in her time period too. A person saying "ooga booga" isn't a fucking accent.
>>
iOS version best version.
>>
>>383120415

>Because it fits his character perfectly

>I'm using the localized personality as an argument that it fits his localized personality perfectly despite his personality being different in the Japanese version.

I really don't know what else I can say, so I won't say anything.
>>
>>383120269
>You're telling me it's normal to have everyone talk one way and have one, just one, person talk a different way is normal?
Dude, you're talking about a video game world where the population of 600AD is probably around 50 NPCs. Not exactly a huge sample size.

And I'm sure if you searched around say NYC you'd find a handful of douchebags that speak the old kings english all proper and what not.

Frog was trying to sound more like a royal snooty asshole than the royal snooty assholes he worked for.
>>
>>383120415
>I think the translator wanted everyone in 600AD to talk like this, and that would have worked as well
Yeah but he didn't so it doesn't matter. If it was consistent and everyone then yes, it would be perfectly fine, but the actual final product doesn't so it just looks shitty.
>>
>>383120519
>I really don't know what else I can say, so I won't say anything.
Dude, sometimes things just work out for the better. I've played the SNES version and the DS version and like the SNES version better because of the quirks and eccentricities.

Numerous types of media is translated into English and sometimes the translators put a slight spin on it. Usually it's a "whatever", but sometimes it works. In Frog's case, it works.
>>
>>383119896
>No, he speaks in an odd way no one else in the era does
No shit. you don't have to repeat that for the 100th time.
>and is always putting on an honorable knight tone
Yes, and? It *does* fit his character. He's an honorable knight. He saves the princess. He was reluctant to even become a knight, because he doesn't like hurting people. He ends up being the only one capable of unlocking the magic sword's power, because of how honorable his intent was in wielding it. As was the dream of the sword's blacksmith. Frog is super fucking honorable. And that manner of speech fits him.

>No, it's the fact that it sticks out like a sore thumb and is the result of the localization.
That's a weaselly way of saying that that he was distinct and unique. You say he "sticks out" as though that is a bad thing. But again, it would appear bad to someone with OCD.

>But a new player would have no idea what he's talking about and would end up confused.
No doubt. But not terribly confused. Trust me, I've seen this game played a bunch on stream. And most streamers barely give the line any notice. A few of them will pause on it for a moment. But then just trudge on, because it's so baffling, they can't even begin to imagine what it might mean.
I'm not defending the line. But I am saying it's not worth recommending the DS version over.

>Not as minor as you'd hope.
Then why can't you or I think of any? Nothing stands out, because they're not a big deal. I can only vaguely recall that perhaps a comma was misplaced.

>but I find it funny that you care about minor color differences enough to count them against the DS version because they affect the mood
Well for 1, I defend Frog's speech, because it has a nice flavor to it. So I don't write off all dialogue. I just look at like this: Most of the dialogue changes still give the player the same understanding of intent and context. While the color palette is persistent visual stimulation that you must remain fixed on.
>>
>>383120524
>Dude, you're talking about a video game world where the population of 600AD is probably around 50 NPCs. Not exactly a huge sample size
What so consistency shouldn't exist because there are only a handful of npcs?
>And I'm sure if you searched around say NYC you'd find a handful of douchebags that speak the old kings english all proper and what not
Yeah, maybe a autist in a fedora or two. I'm everyone cringes when they do and think he's a pretentious asshole.
>>
>>383117091
Isn't DS version on the left? I remember it being pretty crisp on DS's low res screen. The right screen looks like low res game on big CRT TV. Also left screen has no UI which could be on the lower screen
>>
>>383120548
>Yeah but he didn't so it doesn't matter. If it was consistent and everyone then yes, it would be perfectly fine, but the actual final product doesn't so it just looks shitty.
No it doesn't retard. It makes perfect sense. Frog is trying to hard to be a part of this royal world that he's speaking more royal than them (even though oddly enough he's a shit knight). It's beautifully sad. You're just looking for a generic translation.

If faggots like you were in charge things like "you spoony bard" would never exist.
>>
>>383120139
>A lot of people, obviously.
Most people I watch play the game confuse heal for their HP recovery item. They have a laugh, and then they move on. They really don't care that tonics aren't more appropriately named potions.
>>
>>383120698
>What so consistency shouldn't exist because there are only a handful of npcs?
They didn't have time do properly translate them all that way. Real life time budgets. But it works better because it sets Frog apart. He's a fucking little try hard who so badly wants to be some royal savior.

>eah, maybe a autist in a fedora or two. I'm everyone cringes when they do and think he's a pretentious asshole.
That's more or less what frog was.
>>
>>383110854
snes

i have psx version on my real psx and god almighty those loadings. you spend more time waiting than playing in many cases
>first section where you go back in time and meet marie in the castle
>you go up couple floors
>every floor, there is 5 sec loading
>every floor takes less than half an second to get through
>watching black screen with game blinking from time to time
>every time you go into menu, loading

it's fucking terrible, i bear with it only because i play on real psx with crt so nostalgia value
>>
>>383120738
No, there are translation changes I honest to god defend because I prefer them. Frog's is just shitty as fuck. He isn't meant to be some lowly fuck who has no idea what he is doing. From the second Crono encounters him you see he is fully experienced knight. When Lean thanks him she knows who he is, showing he has already done great deeds for the kingdom.

It's one thing to say you like a change but admit it's wrong, it's another to say your headcanon is better since you like it.
>>
>>383120669

>He's an honorable knight.
He's a bitter guy who never wanted to become a knight to begin with. Would you say it's no big deal if Magus spoke like a Jamaican for no real reason?

>That's a weaselly way of saying that that he was distinct and unique

Nothing wrong with distinction, but that wasn't a proper way to do it.

>Then why can't you or I think of any?
I was talking about his translations in general. If I was talking about FF VI, I'd have more fuel. But this is a CT thread and I'm going to bed in a minute anyway since my sleeping pill is kicking in.

>Most of the dialogue changes still give the player the same understanding of intent and context. While the color palette is persistent visual stimulation that you must remain fixed on.

Ha, no offense, but that's pure hypocrisy. Yeah, players can understand what's going on with the dialogue, but some of the changes affect the mood of the scene. You know, like those slight color differences affect mood. You can deny it all you want, many people will perform amazing mental gymnastics to prove to themselves that they're right, but you really have a double standard here.
>>
>>383120840
All I get from this is you don't know Frog's character. Frog was a beteran haunted by his failure in his past. He is not some tryhard who becomes a real hero, he is clearly already a hero when you meet him.
>>
>>383120970
>He isn't meant to be some lowly fuck who has no idea what he is doing.
I never said that. I said he's a try hard.
>From the second Crono encounters him you see he is fully experienced knight.
That was after years of training.

>It's one thing to say you like a change but admit it's wrong, it's another to say your headcanon is better since you like it.
It's literally only a couple of autists like you complaining about it. Frog's refined speech sets him apart. It gives his character some dimension and personality. It shows how much he loves the royal family because he talks more "royal" than they do. He is the classic protector knight, that failed when he was needed most.
>>
>>383120738

>Frog is trying to hard to be a part of this royal world

>Using the literally made up personality as a supporting argument

Nostalgia is a ridiculous drug. No one's saying you're wrong for liking the SNES version more, but pretending it's not highly inaccurate is baffling.
>>
>>383120352
Have you tried speaking with NPCs and paying attention just a little?
>>
>>383121086
>All I get from this is you don't know Frog's character. Frog was a beteran haunted by his failure in his past. He is not some tryhard who becomes a real hero, he is clearly already a hero when you meet him.
You got it wrong. He was always a tryhard. He wants to protect some douchebag royals and his ultimate failure is not being able to protect them. His classic speech patterns are combination of him wanting to fit in combined with the old (our world ideas) ideas of a knight protecting the crown.
>>
>>383120178
>It literally confused the fuck out of players and most thought you could save Schala from this one shitty line.
Maybe it made *you* think you could save Schala, and now you're projecting?
From my experience watching streams, the only time someone thought about saving Schala, was when someone from chat starting going off about how confusing the translation of that line was. And that conversation confused the streamer into thinking he could save Schala. Until the chatter explained that's what the line did to *other* people. And then the streamer caught on that the dude in chat was autistic, talking about shit he never even thought about and moved on with the game.

>calling others autists for not liking script differences while sperging out at some color differences makes you a hypocrite.
1. Hypocrisy isn't necessarily bad. Believing one thing, and acting another, doesn't invalidate your beliefs. Example: I believe that it shouldn't be a crime to depict the prophet Muhammad. I will never depict the profit Muhammad. I'm a hypocrite. But is my belief wrong? And am I a bad person for thinking about self preservation over an idea?

2. I didn't say I wasn't an autist. But it just so happens that the thing I'm autistic about, actually matters to most. While the thing you're autistic about, doesn't. Priorities.
>>
>>383121142
>Nostalgia is a ridiculous drug. No one's saying you're wrong for liking the SNES version more, but pretending it's not highly inaccurate is baffling.
I'm saying that was Woolsely's spin on it. A spin that I agree with.
>>
>>383121141
Literally this
>>383121142

If you said "I understand that Frog appears characterized wrong in snes English script but I personally like it" there would be nothing wrong here.

We all love "you spoony bard" and "son of a submariner" but we know these are factually wrong.
>>
>>383115567
Nothing. It was a fun sequel.
>>
>>383115832
>>implying I'm not getting paid $27 an hour right now while taking a break.

>Still barely getting by because of cost of living
>>
>>383120718
The left is the SNES version. I tried to find the most crisp versions of the games I could find via a google search. But unfortunately, I could only find a blurry DS version, that was at an odd resolution. I had to scale the DS image down to match the SNES image.
>>
>>383121289
>Maybe it made *you* think you could save Schala, and now you're projecting?
Literally google the line and just see how many ask what he means.
>Hypocrisy isn't necessarily bad
Okay, you really might have brain damage. You literally are saying it's okay that what you said applys to your argument but not mine.
>>
>>383121003
>He's a bitter guy who never wanted to become a knight to begin with
Frog was never bitter. That would imply some kind of resentment or anger. Frog was sad and depressed. He couldn't protect his friend, and he couldn't protect the queen. So he got emo and went into isolation. The source of his angst, was that he was such a good guy, that he was sad he let people down. How is that not the most honorable thing you've ever heard?

>Nothing wrong with distinction, but that wasn't a proper way to do it.
How so? I would say most everyone loves it. No one complained about Frog's speech until the DS version presented itself, and sowed the seeds of the idea that it was a "proper" translation. Then autists gravitated to the "proper" way of doing things. Rather than the fun way we all enjoyed.

>I was talking about his translations in general.
Well his general body of work doesn't change the facts for Chrono Trigger one way or the other.

>Yeah, players can understand what's going on with the dialogue, but some of the changes affect the mood of the scene.
I never claimed it didn't. I believe you're right about that. But that's why I always qualified my argument with the word "significant". The changes in mood for dialogue are insignificant, when compared to the visuals. Changing tonic to potion is small time, compared to changing blue to green. You're talking about a completely different visual wavelength. Digital color is measure with 3 channels. Red, Green, and Blue. So you're talking about a complete channel hop visually. Of course other things aren't changed as drastically. But it's still significant.
>>
>>383121525
>You literally are saying it's okay that what you said applies to your argument but not mine.
You're over simplifying the matter. Merely caring about these changes the way we do, doesn't make us equal. Because the changes I'm comparing, has a different value than the changes you are comparing. And then we are comparing those values, in order to determine which is more important to potential players.

You're saying that the differences in translation is of more value than the differences in visuals. And I'm saying the opposite. While my actions may appear hypocritical, my belief ultimately has greater value than yours.

>Literally google the line and just see how many ask what he means.
I'm shocked that after over 20 years and multi millions of players, that such a line would cause a bit of confusion, not at all.
No, I don't think everyone thought the could save Schala after they heard that line. It's not as confusing as you think. No one is out there riding around in Epoch for hours and hours looking for Schala. They do all the other sidequests. Realize they're at the end, and beat Lavos.

Captcha: guardia pizzaria
>>
>>383118460
Bump
>>
>>383122567
>my belief ultimately has greater value than yours
No it doesn't. You are just stranger on the internet upset no one characterizes a character like you do. No one here has even defended your point.

You have honest mental problems. I'm stopping here as this is just pathetic.
>>383122689
Sorry to inform you but no. There exists two fan translations but they over do it with shit like honorifics.
>>
DS ver > SNES ver >>>>>> PS ver
>>
>>383122936
>No it doesn't
Yes it does.
>You are just stranger on the internet upset no one characterizes a character like you do.
I don't know why you went for a personal attack. I bolstered my beliefs, not myself. Attack my beliefs.
>No one here has even defended your point.
I'm not shocked that in the den of autists, breaking down the differences between version of a 20+ year old game, that many of you settle for the """proper""" version. Some of you even played the nostalgia card. Implying that the DS version was your first experience. And thus, betraying your age, and lack of experience with the SNES version. So of course you lack perspective.

I'm hilarious that you think anyone who asserts their belief being greater than yours, has mental issues. As if it's currrazzzeee to think some beliefs are better than others.
>We're both autists, so we're both equally right.
PFF
>>
>>383117705
But you don't unlock the Dimensional Vortex until after beating the game? The equipment in the other place isn't really all that great.
>>
>>383116809
And you have a tiny dick.
>>
>>383111359
This, I tried each version for a few hours over the years and beat it for thr first time last week on DS. I can say completely unbiassed, DS is objectively the best.
>>
>>383119463
>The original term was used in Japanese transliteration of the Indian (Hindu) mythology's clan Asura and Yaksha, as well as Zoroastrianism's Daeva, and is the general term for devils, demons and evil beings.
>>
>>383118970
Frog wasn't a knight but a commoner, Cyrus was the knight
>>
File: fire.gif (223KB, 468x380px) Image search: [Google]
fire.gif
223KB, 468x380px
What about android version?
>>
>>383125921
don't bother, square enix mobile ports are always dogshit. i've never played one that didn't have weird scaling, control issues, or huge framedrops. you're better off emulating if you want to play on your phone.
>>
>>383110854
DS version. If you don't have one or don't want to emulate duel screens then stick with SNES. PS1 load times are killer.
>>
File: 5.jpg (49KB, 285x600px) Image search: [Google]
5.jpg
49KB, 285x600px
KINO
>>
File: e55.jpg (161KB, 1890x1417px) Image search: [Google]
e55.jpg
161KB, 1890x1417px
>>383120938
Hot damn. Sounds like digimon world 3
>pause, losd
>change maps, load
>battle, load briefly
>battles every few steps so it really adds up
God damn it all. If you open the pause menu to do something you better be damn sure you did EVERYTHING you had to before leaving unless you really like looking at blue squares and an area name
>>
>>383117883
I tried playing Xenogears a few years ago on an emu since an old high school friend recommended it to me back when I was still in HS.
I couldn't do it. The game seemed too complicated yet repetitive in some parts compared to FFVIII/IX on ps as well as CT on snes.
Just wasn't fun to play.
>>
>>383128837
I hit a wall with Xenogear.

I was digging the fact that it's basically Eva but then I got to Nisan and they started talking about war shit and got bored.
>>
>>383128965
I think I tried playing it 3 times over 5 years
I got a little further wach time i played but i remembered why i stopped playing it the last time and just stopped
Maybe i'll play it to completion later....when I'm retired 40 years later
or just watch a playthrough on youtube or something
>>
if you're gonna emulate then emulate the snes version.

If you're gonna buy then buy the 3DS version.

also you are all fags
>>
>>383125921
Honestly its not bad, they didn't fuck it up like they did with some of the others. Its ok in a pinch, but the SNES original is the best followed by the DS version if you can avoid the shitty additional end game content.
>>
>>383127161
honestly though if you don't have a DS and you like jrpgs you should pick one up and a flashcart. i picked up a DSi for 15 bucks and a flashcart for 20 and it was a good deal, you got dragon quest 4-6 and 9, chrono trigger, suikoden tierkreis, etc. the dragon quest ports alone are worth it imo.
Thread posts: 147
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.