[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I still can't figure out why Kojima decided to put the majority

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 6

File: cassettetapes.jpg (100KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
cassettetapes.jpg
100KB, 1280x720px
I still can't figure out why Kojima decided to put the majority of the game's voice acting, story and context conversations into optional cassette tapes that the game barely even tells you are there, are hard to spot in the first place and require you to piss about in the pause menu to get them.

On the plus side, they really fill in the blanks left by the maps being largely barren and silent.

Would MGS5 have been vastly improved if there was a Codec system instead and all the cassette tape briefings/conversations were instead part of that?
>>
>>383104801
It's significantly cheaper to do that than to have it all done in cutscenes with motion capture and everything
>>
>>383105039
Doesn't even need mocap, just portraits in the old codec screen would do.
>>
>>383104801
He took the audio log meme too seriously. That shit sort of works on System Shock/Bioshock since in those game's settings most sane people are already dead and shit already happened in there. I don't have any issue with a few of those in MGS but codec conversations were a serious staple and can cover the same shit easily with a few adjustments.
>>
>>383105356
*series staple
>>
People complained for years about how the codec system stopped you from being able to play the game.

The tape system was made for peace walker because of the mobile set up, they wanted to distill codec conversations into something a lot easier to pick up and put down.

And then it translated into MGSV (which is really just a sequel to Peacewalker's experimentation) where you could listen to the tapes while doing other stuff like traveling around the open world.

The problem wasn't the tapes system, it was that Snake barely participated in any conversations within them. Off the top of my head I only ever remember him having a conversation once, which was during the tape when they were explaing Psycho Mantis' powers and Snake was skeptical.

Every other tape is either 2 other people talking, or Snake grunting along.

I don't mind the tape system itself, but I felt like codec calls were more engaging simply because Snake was a character and you could learn more about both Snake and whoever he was talking with during their conversations.
>>
>>383105241
Yeah i felt like that was really cheap I couldn't finish one of the cawset3a
>>
>>383104801
Because Kojima gave up and started listening to the MGS4 audience in attempt to modernize everything. Apparently listening to two humans with human qualities do human things like have conversations is too much to handle for these brainlets and would rather listen to some bullshit while cruising around their """"open world"""".
>>
>>383104801
It's an open world game, as such, the story is presented as a non-linear, separate piece that the player can experience (or not) at their leisure.

BotW did the same thing.
>>
>>383105595
I'm listening through them now and Snake speaks quite a bit. He's mostly listening to Ocelot explain things right now, but he's definitely talking.
>>
>>383104801

Kojima got a bit uppity with one of the producers and must have said something against the boardmembers and CEO of Konami which was captured on a hidden microphone. The yakuza chairmen said he Kojima doens't pipe down they will sue his ass for blowing millions of dollars and then send over some big black nigerians to rape his wife while his son watches.

Kojima then did what he needed to do to survive and protect his family.
>>
>>383106336
I think that was his point. He isn't part of the conversation. He talks and comments on a few things but it's rarely a conversation between Vemon and another character.
>>
>>383105595
the real problem is that the writing was fucking atrocious

it made no sense, wasn't interesting, and lacked any humor
>>
>>383106824
The fuck are you talking about? The tapes about Afghanistan and especially Zeroe's set were well written and engaging.
>>
>>383105039
>>383105241
Perhaps he should have written a betting script
>>
>>383105678
It becomes a problem when they babble on for 20 minutes in a video game
>>
I quit playing after shooting ghosts appeared. No, don't fight them just run pussy. whatever
>>
>>383107504
isn't that the first mission?
>>
>>383107552
first one in Afghanistan.
>>
>>383105595
Snake grunting and making smartass comments was the best part. Also asking para-medic if it tastes good.
>>
>its a Code Talker tape
>>
File: 1458360375916.jpg (107KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1458360375916.jpg
107KB, 1280x720px
>>383107737
>its a Kaz hamburger tape
>>
Because he recognized that people weren't fond of the massive amount of cutscenes in 4, and wanted to still have all that lore and shit without forcing it in the player's face

Plus, like you brushed up on there, it's a good way to absorb information while doing more pertinent shit like hunting down resources/soldiers/side missions in the overworld
>>
>>383108037
>it's a good way to absorb information while doing more pertinent shit like hunting down resources/soldiers/side missions in the overworld

It would've been good if the tapes didn't get interrupted by Ocelot's and Kaz' radio chatter.
>>
It's less about them using the tapes and more about them overall being way worse than PW's.

PW had slice of life shenaningans, plenty of humor, and plenty of educational stuff, even if it had the tendency to suck Guevara's dick for no reason. What does V have? Some old fuck in a wheelchair falling asleep to his own technobabble about how a shitty, magical plot device tends to copulate between itself.
>>
>>383104801
You problem isn't really that tapes were worse than Codecs.

It's than MGSV should never have been open world.
>>
>>383108020
>"what kind of dive did your old man takr you to..."
>>
I can't look at that image without thinking about the hamburgers.
>>
>>383104801
The first Splinter Cell game did this extensively but it was mostly flavor text. I liked it.
>>
File: Code_Talker.png (1MB, 916x720px) Image search: [Google]
Code_Talker.png
1MB, 916x720px
>>383107737
TRIGGER
COPULATION

MALE
TO
FEMALE
>>
>>383105595
i hated the fact that they got fucking kiefer sutherland and kojima barely fucking used him
all because he saw drive and thought it was cool and wanted a silent protag halfway through the games dev cycle
what the fuck was wrong with kojima?
>>
>>383110192
>all because he saw drive

It was Mad Max Fury Road.
>>
>>383110291
Mad Max 2*
>>
File: image.jpg (230KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
230KB, 1024x1024px
>Playing GZ
>Listen to audio tapes
>Snake knew Chico was captured while trying to save Paz
>GZ mission briefing
>Kaz and Snake talk about saving Paz
>"So who's the other target?"
>"It's Chico."

How did they leave in such a stupid plot hole?
>>
>>383110029
VOBAL CORB BARASITES

DINEEEHHH
>>
>>383110029
>Beware of Kazuhira Millah
What was this all about? some kind of reference that he was going to get killed or something?
>>
I listened to all the tapes in my helicopter while dispatching my boys on deadly raids and staring at my sniper wife. I found the peace inside myself.
>>
>>383111292
In Metal Gear 2, Miller helps Solid Snake over the radio.
>>
>>383111335
why is everyone in love with quiet?
she was pretty bland
>>
>>383110737
But he didn't necessarily know Chico was being kept at the same facility, or even that he was still alive
>>
>>383105039
this would be fine if it actually played these cassettes when missions fucking started or whenever you acquired one

Just because the game doesn't pause for mandatory Codec memes anymore doesn't mean they have to not be present when they used to be... Just play the shit
>>
I bet they were added in the eleventh hour when he knew the game would be released unfinished. It does fill in a lot of blanks, and would be pretty easy to implement.
>>
>>383104801
>Would MGS5 have been vastly improved if

Yes.

To whatever that sentence ends with, yes.
>>
>>383111505
Yeah, i played MG2
But Venom gets killed in MG1
>>
Guys, i just did the mission where snake kills all of the men on base who are infected and I'm not getting any new mission objective, what do i do?
>>
>>383111962
nothing youre done with the game
>>
>>383111962
Watch the hidden cutscenes on YouTube
>>
>>383111962
That's the last non-Expert mission besides the True Ending Super Twist Rusemaster Special. You need to level Quiet's bond up to max and trigger the Huey Trial. After that, watch mission 51 on youtube and feel real bad.
>>
>>383111637
He did though? "Chico" sent tapes and they had radio contact with him.
>>
>>383112319
I have quiet to max, do i just keep doing side ops or something till i get a new mission?
>>
>>383111517
Quiet was a good girl that saved Venom's life then wandered off into the desert and shot herself. She determined that the life of Big Boss was more important than her own, the same way Venom leapt in front of Big Boss to block all that shrapnel. Big Boss is what allows a world for fighting men to exist. Your mileage may vary.
>>
>>383112362
Ok I forgot about those Chico tapes. My guess is that briefing scene was done earlier, then they decided to add all the cassette tape fluff towards the end of development
>>
>>383112450
I think there's a particular Side Op that triggers it, but I can't remember. Just Google it my dude
>>
>>383112532
that stuff never really hooked me
quiet and venom dont talk and barely have any interactions yet im supposed to be sad when she dies?
>>
>>383112537
My thoughts exactly. I just thought it was interesting that it went pass Q&A and no one seems to have brought it up before either.
>>
>>383112450
Yeah at a certain point she should leave Mother Base. I'm not sure what the trigger is but I think it's intentionally vague. Just keep playing side missions and make sure you don't have the butterfly emblem equipped.
Thread posts: 56
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.