[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why was Halo so hated before, but now almost universally accepted

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 118
Thread images: 14

Why was Halo so hated before, but now almost universally accepted as one of the best franchises ever? Why did Mario, Zelda or any Japanese franchise ever have to deal with such an uphill battle?
>>
>>383052121
>Why was Halo so hated before
Because it's a shit game that mangled an entire genre

>but now almost universally accepted as one of the best franchises ever?
Because the people who grew up with it are the ones in charge now
>>
>>383052121
because it was solid first game and the multiplayer was fun af

but everyone wants to hate whats popular
>>
>>383054127
fpbp

>>383054268
>af
case in point
>>
>>383052121

When I had a 360 it was up there with cod and fifa in popularity.
>>
>>383052121
>now almost universally accepted as one of the best franchises ever?
Ummm not it isn't?
>>
>>383054396
The Xbox 360 was dominating the industry back then. Once Xbox fell in popularity, so did Halo. Ironically everyone thought it was Halo fans keeping the Xbox alive, it turned out to be exactly the opposite.
>>
>>383054127
>>383054375
Not an argument to be seen
>>
>>383052121
It was never hated outside of the internet hate machine, i.e. basement dwelling forum cultists. The world over otherwise loved the series when it first came out.
>>
>>383054552
Your post is so wrong, holyshit. It was the PS3 being 499. Hence X360 even got exclusive jrpg games like the last odyssey, Blue dragon & Infinite thing
Halo 1 & 2 were also on PC.
>>
>>383052121
>but now almost universally accepted as one of the best franchises ever
Is it? I haven't heard anyone talk about Halo, positive or negative, in forever.
>>
>>383052121
>but now almost universally accepted as one of the best franchises ever?
nigga you better be joking or 15 years old
>>
>>383055026
>Hence X360 even got exclusive jrpg games like the last odyssey, Blue dragon & Infinite thing

MS paid for those games. In fact Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey were published by Microsoft. This was when they still cared about the Japanese market.
>>
>>383052121
Because the newfags on v are the type of people who grew up liking halo and console shooters.

Why do you think we have 10 threads about OW right now, heres a hint it doesnt have to do with v having good taste.
>>
console shooter trash. it's slow, aiming is a joke. it's popular because it's babby's first fps. it's not a good game. shooters are for the pc, not consoles
>>
hating halo wasn't cool until 3 and then people only did it ironically because it was so popular

after three there was valid reasons to hate it
>>
>>383052121
>Why did Mario, Zelda or any Japanese franchise (n)ever have to deal with such an uphill battle?
Oh gee, I wonder if 4chan not existing in 19FUCKING87 had something to do with it.

And Halo was hated because of console wars, mostly. There were some who hated it because it changed the course of shooters, but they tend to forget Half-Life already changed shooters to be way more story driven, i.e. slower.
>>
>>383054594
Halo pioneered things like regenerating health, weapon limits, and further popularized the general idea of designing shooters around the limited aiming capability of a gamepad. None of those things serve to make a shooter more fun, regenerating health for example encourages a defensive or outright passive (i.e. BORING) playstyle since damage is only an immediate threat, but has no long term consequences.
>>
File: laughing_lizard.jpg (33KB, 373x550px) Image search: [Google]
laughing_lizard.jpg
33KB, 373x550px
>>383052121
It was never hated. Only basement dwellers like the /v/ermin at inhabit this rathole were ever vocale about their hate for Halo, but they equally as likely to hated Mario, Zelda, MGS, Sonic, or whatever popular franchise you can think of.
>>
>>383055794
> regenerating health for example encourages a defensive or outright passive (i.e. BORING) playstyle since damage is only an immediate threat, but has no long term consequences.

Wrong retard, it encourages to stay in the battle. Unlike old shit like DOOM where it encourages a retreat or fallback (i.e. BORING) playstyle
>>
>>383055794
They don't serve to make shooters fun per se, but make them more immersive, which in turn makes it more enjoyable. Halo was an extremely immersive game when it came out.
>>
>>383055724
Uh no, thats not how it works. Halo was a slow shooter but its real sin was shifting the focus of fps from pcs to consoles. Halo fucking sold the xbox and xbox 360 and brought a larger generation of console shooter loving fans to the industry. Fpses having stories isnt new nor is having a focus on them. The problem is that console shooters will naturally have a limitation on both control and rendering power which led to the degeneration of what fpses are now.
>>
most of the halo hate is euros and weebs because they fear america
>>
>>383056201
>Wrong retard, it encourages to stay in the battle.
Regenerating health turns "battles" into a dull war of attrition, a glorified waiting game where you pop out to shoot enemies (who unlike you most of the time don't regenerate health) and go wait in a corner when your health/shield gets low

>a retreat or fallback (i.e. BORING) playstyle
Actually playing a game is more boring to you than literally waiting for your bar to fill up as you twiddle your thumbs?
>>
File: 1499144124268.jpg (15KB, 363x363px) Image search: [Google]
1499144124268.jpg
15KB, 363x363px
>>383052121
I played it on pc recently I liked it they do reuse to much setpieces though
>>
because it probably still is the best console FPS, but at the time FPS games were all on PC

now PC FPS is dead and console FPS is still shit
>>
>>383056412
>its real sin was shifting the focus of fps from pcs to consoles.
Well, that was going to happen anyway, once dual analog really took off. Shooter were already picking up on console, SOMETHING was going to bring everyone on board eventually.

If PC gamers couldn't keep their style of fps alive, it's mostly because they were just outnumbered and not as profitable. Sucks, but that's life.

>Fpses having stories isnt new nor is having a focus on them
That's kind of a load though. A lot of fps at the time had a text story and then it was just rooms and enemies. Most games with a big focus on a story before Half-Life just didn't catch on as much, HL opened the floodgates for a fps story to be as, if not more, important that entering a room and fucking killing everything that moved.
>>
>>383052121
I always liked the first Halo game. I must have never gotten the memo. Or more likely I don't give a shit.
>>
File: 21543-MLM20212850156_122014-Y.jpg (7KB, 210x210px) Image search: [Google]
21543-MLM20212850156_122014-Y.jpg
7KB, 210x210px
>>383057231
>HL opened the floodgates for a fps story to be as, if not more, important that entering a room and fucking killing everything that moved.

And why again is this a problem? Does story give you a headache?

Story was always there by the way. In the manual. Tech just was'nt there to show it much.
>>
>>383057926
Half Life and especially Half Life 2 are the most cinematic games ever created. If you played Half Life 2 recently you would see that they are the most linear, basic shooters you can get. It was basically Uncharted 2 in 2004.
>>
>>383055428
>babby's first fps.

It came out in 2001 iirc. Let's not pretend most of /v/ wasn't 5 back then so this argument is rather strange.
>>
>>383057231
This sounds like the mebtal gymnastics of a blizzdrone who doesnt want to admit that WoW ruined the genre and tried to pretend like EQ was even remotely similiar in scope.

Halo ultimately sold two consoles and pretty much made the hold of fpses so strong on the console market that its still going on till this day. You can pretend it was already headed there through headcannon but to ignore a giant millions of dollars franchise like halo and pretend it didnt have a giant shift on the market is retarded.
>>
>>383054127
>Because it's a shit game that mangled an entire genre
cs did it first and was cited as a direct inspiration for halo by the lead designer.
>>
>>383054552
You post is wrong. Halo sold the XBOX. Halo 3 was the most played XBOX Live game for over two years until Modern Warfare 2. Not only did Microsoft fuck the XBONE at launch in 2013, they essentially killed Halo's momentum with Halo 4 in 2012. Following this, they release the disastrous MCC and shit, microtransaction based Halo 5. Two simultaneous trainwrecks that only compounded each other, especially Halo
>>
>>383057926
No, it's not a problem. But it does lead to games slowing down, taking a different direction. It basically derailed shooters from being defined by Doom and Quake. Just like how ideas in Halo were used sloppily and poorly by imitators, HL's emphasis on story was used by a lot of competing games to lesser effect. Hell, Doom 3 is arguably a huge offender on trying to copy HL's formula in the worst way possible. Doom 3 actually does a lot of things people associate with Halo, due to trying to push hardware that just wasn't ready yet. Fuck, Doom 3 was purposefully show as shit because they didn't want people to gloss over all pretty the graphics were... what a huge misstep for the genre.

I think a lot of PC gamers want to pin everything on Halo and pretend PC shooters weren't going through their own growing pains at the same time.
>>
>>383052121
/v/ hated mario when it first came out
/v/ hates every new zelda game until a newer one comes out
/v/ thinks every Dark Souls is worse than the old one
/v/ hates every new Final Fantasy
/v/ is a channel for hate and ire more than love and understanding (of what makes a good game), this is just how it is
Enjoy your stay :v)
>>
>>383052121
Did anybody actually dislike halo:combat evolved?
I never really liked first person shooters, but it was one of my favourite games ever.
Maybe it's just nostalgia, but i was actually talking with my friends about getting it on pc and making some servers to play
>>
>>383055405
>v
>>
>>383058282
>a blizzdrone who doesnt want to admit that WoW ruined the genre and tried to pretend like EQ was even remotely similiar in scope.
wow was a refinement of eq's formula which is why it won and eq died. it was objectively a better game.
>>
>>383058264
Cinematic isn't a curse word for me. Videogames are interactive movies. Or interactive books. Or interactive anime.
>>
>>383052121

Halo was never hated. Only edgy contrarian types on here would hate it or people that never played it. Most of this board is too underage to even.play it back when it was relevant. The game legit made pc fags jealous make then.
>>
>>383058631
Other than the story bits HL was very much in the vein of Quake. HLDM especially was all about going fast and map control. The gameplay wasn't intentionally slowed down until CS which did it to appeal to a wider audience.
>>
>>383052121
Because it was the last good shooter. No one realized it at the time, as it introduced many new mechanics. Since then 95% of available shooters have been recycled cod and battlefield garbage, and now all you have is multiplayer only garbage that still costs $60. You pretend you're having fun with the limited content and lackluster characters and false progression, but you're not. Deep inside you're trying to rationalize that having "skill" on esports based games will fill the void of having nothing to show in your life.
>>
>>383057926
>And why again is this a problem? Does story give you a headache?
>>383059342
>Cinematic isn't a curse word for me.
No one is saying it's a problem, retard, they're just pointing it out to you. HL changed the direction of the genre, for better or for worse.
>>
>>383055794
Isn't it the other way around....

If your health doesnt regen you'd play more defensively
>>
>>383059184
Whatever you say blizzdrone, I never knew WoW had meaningful pvp or openworld dungeons or rvr for even that matter. Hell even questing itself is a casualization that only serves to create more problems in creating communities and getting people to work together by defining objectives and placing progression on a traintrack that can be completed alone. Im sure the focus on instanced content and shards was a healthy dose to the genre.
>>
>All of this contrarian Halo hate popping up recently
summer sucks
>>
File: halos.jpg (589KB, 659x1035px) Image search: [Google]
halos.jpg
589KB, 659x1035px
Halo was never universally hated. Everyone who actually played the game knew exactly how fun it was.

Some fat fedora wearing PC fanboys like to shit on it and boast about how they only play hardcore shooters for PC, but what these idiots often forget is that games exist to entertain, and the original Halo trilogy offers an an amazing package of fun, both in singleplayer and multiplayer. Deep down they probably realize this, but are just extremely sour over the crappy PC ports.

Halo 3 is the game that generated the most animosity because they didn't even make a PC port. On top of that, it came out in 2007, where the Xbox 360 was at the peak of its popularity, and the PS3 was in the toilet thanks to its botched launch. Sony has been trying to replicate Halo's glory since Timesplitters, always failing, and with Halo 3 being so successful, Sony fanboys got massively MASSIVELY assblasted and campaigned furiously to make people think the game was overrated.
>>
>>383059910

It's a fucking joke. I'm not even a hardcore Halo guy but it was far from shit and was the best console fps back then by far.
>>
>>383059783
I think nearly every shooter now has SOME degree of regenerating health, simply to avoid impossible situations. If you used all the health packs in Doom, and still had one room full of tough enemies in, you either had to be very defensive/lucky, or start the whole level over. Regenerating health was mostly to avoid backtracking, and keep you focused on moving forward. The two weapon limit was also based on that idea, you wouldn't normally search for more ammo if you could just take a gun from a downed enemy. The reason that Halo is both a great game and hated by so many is due to imitators coming along and not really understanding why Halo was the way it was. They'd just toss in two weapon limit or regenerating health, but not design the whole game around those mechanics. If you just make a Doom map with regenerating health and two weapon limits, it makes for a bad game. Doom levels are made to work for Doom mechanics, and Halo levels are made to work with Halo mechanics. For a few years, FPS were all varying degrees of Duke Nukem Forever, trapped between multiple styles of shooter with no real direction.
>>
>>383052121
On which planet is Halo "acceptable"?
>>
>>383059863
purely by vanilla standards instanced content was a healthy dose to the genre because it meant the top guilds couldn't keep everything on farm and prevent anyone else from progressing. wow was made by eq vets based on all the things they didn't like about eq which is why it blew eq the fuck out. it also had different tiers of content with equivalent rewards. whether you were low tier picking flowers or a poopsocking autist doing the highest end raids you always had a place in your realm and received rewards equivalent to what you did.
>>
>>383060121
Did you play FPS online in the late 90s/early 2000s? Halo felt incredibly slow, clunky, and floaty compared to most FPS at the time. I played a bunch of different online friends at the time and most of them did not like Halo anywhere near as much as games like Quake 3, Unreal Tournament, Rogue Spear, Ghost Recon, Raven Shield, and Medal of Honor: Allied Assault.
>>
>>383060121
Yeah those crazy pc fps players, who would've guessed they'd prefer their franchise over a slow console shooter with limited inventory. Who could've guessed they would be sour knowing that a console focus only made their genre less complicated mechanically and in terms of level design. How crazy is that?
>>
>>383060904
>Halo felt incredibly slow, clunky, and floaty compared to most FPS at the time.
Counter-Strike was the most popular FPS at the time Halo came out and it's where Halo lifted most of its mechanics from.
>>
>>383061323
That really has nothing to do with my post, but mechanics ≠ execution. CS was much faster and played much more fluidly than Halo as well.
>>
File: now.jpg (81KB, 1269x655px) Image search: [Google]
now.jpg
81KB, 1269x655px
Halo is cool it's just stuck where most people can't play it. Hell it'd be easier for me to play the entire Killzone series (including Shadowfall) on PC right now than more than half of the Halo games.

Put this shit on steam or something already.
>>
>>383061323
PC friends like to forget CS existed whenever this topic comes up.
>>
>>383061773
We've all been pushing for Halo 3 on PC for a long time, but nothing so far.
>>
>>383060904
>>383060984
And these are exactly the kind of fedora tipping retards I was talking about.

Table Tennis is a lot faster and more technical than regular tennis, yet nobody outside the chinese and koreans give a shit about it. Meanwhile regular tennis is hugely popular, wonder why?

Believe it or not, how fast or complicated a game is doesn't exclusively determine its quality, contrary to what morons like you think. Part of the reason Halo is regarded by many as a great game is because of it's simplicity. Not every shooter needs to be fast paced, twitch-reflex hyper autism.
>>
>>383061646
>CS was much faster and played much more fluidly than Halo as well.
Unless you're talking console Halo only that's total bullshit. Movement speed and shooting mechanics were very similar other than a few engine quirks but Halo had things like powerups, teleporters, and vehicles.
>>
>>383061798
I never really played CS during that time outside of a few instances because I only had a Mac
>>
>>383062138
>Mac
You almost had Halo, if Microsoft hadn't bought Bungie.
>>
>>383062452
Actually, I played Halo on the Mac. It got a port, believe it or not.
>>
>>383052121
>now almost universally accepted as one of the best franchises ever

Haha, good one.

Halo was never anything more than a good party FPS. The stories and the single player campaign designs are complete jokes. The games are consistently fugly as well.

However, the series was unjustly hated for starting the linear-with-checkpoints and two-weapons-only trends that has permeated FPS as a genre for far too long.

It's not Bungie's fault that other designers don't have a creative bone in their body.
>>
>>383062546
I actually had no idea, just looked it up. That's pretty cool.
>>
File: 1461016078525.jpg (30KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
1461016078525.jpg
30KB, 300x300px
Daily reminder that "You don't get to have an opinion on Halo's campaigns unless you've spent 1000 hours playing them on all difficulties"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBv8UVOSG8U
>>
>>383062808
You don't need a half hour long video explaining why Halo 4 is bad. The series left the creators and went into the hands of a bunch of hacks who don't understand the original design philosophies.
>>
>>383062991
>Only x company is allowed to do this franchise/IP
>>
>>383062808
Isn't there a bunch of qte's and scripted stuff where take the control from you in halo 4?
>>
>>383063168
>a bunch of hacks who don't understand the original design philosophies.
>>
>>383063332
*citation needed*
I'm pretty sure they did know, but ended up sacrificing a lot of it for the sake of graphics tech and padding out the gameplay
>>
>>383062991
343 Industries was helmed by Metroid Prime veterans to boot.

Maybe they WANTED to fuck it up.
>>
>>383052121
The children who grew up with it weren't on image and message boards before. Now that they can articulate their thoughts better they put it out there more. It was hated before because it popularized slow shitty console shooters, and rightly so. It's effects as a downgraded casualized shooter are felt even today. Consoles and FPS are a cancerous combination.

popular=\=good
>>
>>383063717
Another fat, neckbearded PC worshipping idiot.

Halo 1-3 is a great trilogy, and there's nothing morons like you can say that will change that. The more you use words like 'casualized', the stupider you look.
>>
>>383063564
>giving covenant weapons such high ammo consumption that they're almost unusable for anything but short bursts
>qtes and on rails sections
>enemy design based on how cool they look rather than how they perform in the game
>getting rid of a series weapon like the plasma rifle and replacing it with a generic rifle
>>
File: halo-combat-evolved.jpg (43KB, 620x350px) Image search: [Google]
halo-combat-evolved.jpg
43KB, 620x350px
Halo haters will always be massive fucking plebs in my eyes. There's no other FPS from 2001 or earlier that you can point to that had the same level of atmosphere and immersion as Halo CE, none. It was a fucking slam dunk on that front and all of its detractors, who were the minority, had their heads too far up their own assholes to see it.
>>
File: free shrugs.png (159KB, 549x437px) Image search: [Google]
free shrugs.png
159KB, 549x437px
>>383064075
Ad hominems everywhere, no arguments. Halo popularized slower paced shooters in both limitation of enemy amounts and the speed of combat because of the consoles limitations, controllers limitations, and the audiences limitations

So yes, infact Halo not only was casual, but it casualized an entire genre. Provide an actual arguement, peasant. Or did I cut off your only argument by saying sales dont equal quality.
>>
File: 8806.jpg (130KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
8806.jpg
130KB, 1280x720px
>>383064156
pff nah, halo is too slow and casual. only normies play it.
real men like me play quake 3 and cs.
>>
>>383064131
Look, I haven't really played Halo 4. I just watched Raycevick's video on it that basically explained "Yes, they fucked up, but it was due to lack of experience, unfocused development, and graphics requirements". That's where I'm coming from.
Though I do kinda agree with you that it's weird how they removed the Plasma Rifle completely when even Reach still had it as a Campaign-only weapon at least.
>>
>>383058430
Halo 3 was more played than Cod 4 online?

DOUBT.jpg
>>
>>383064392
What am I even arguing? Your utterly mindless agenda? Fast gameplay isn't always better. To imply it is goes to show what a moron you really are. Refer to >>383062040

By all means, keep enjoying your super fast, "non-casual" autism games. Won't change the fact that Halo is still a great game and that you're likely envious you weren't able to play the series in its prime.
>>
>>383064710
Spotted the underage idiot.
>>
>>383064549
Bungie's design philosophy was that the combat area was supposed to be a sandbox where everything in it interacted in some way and every fight was engaging. 343 just threw a bunch of shit in that they thought looked cool.
>>
>>383064919
>responding to genuine skepticism with ad hominem
Yeah, you're certainly the oldfag among cancer here.
>>
>>383065024
>genuine skepticism
>DOUBT.jpg
Sure kid.
>>
>>383064156
Surprise, Halo worshipper never played System Shock 2 or Deus Ex.
>>
>>383065003
*citation needed*
>>
>>383065162
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qfx9eoB-88
>>
>>383065162
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qfx9eoB-88
somewhere in here is a clip of a 343 employee talking about the knight enemy and he says they designed the effects first and the actual enemy was an afterthought built around it.
>>
>>383064710
When you compare Xbox to Xbox. I'm sure that CoD4 would pull ahead when you include all platforms.
>>
>>383065116
Yes, he fucked up by not using an actual fucking image, but he said "doubt.jpg", not "laughinganimegirls.png".
>>
>>383065116
where's your source that halo 3 was more played than cod4 until the end of 2009?

it sounds like utter shite
>>
>>383065461
No source required, it's common knowledge for anyone who played games in 2007/2008.

You're just further proving what an underage idiot you are.
>>
>>383065356
>>383065325
>crowbcat
You mean the guy who tried to make a video about how TF2 has gone downhill by saying Demoman's bottle doesn't break upon crit? I like his Todd Howard video as much as the next 4channer, but this guy really needs to be taken with a grain of salt, especially since he never actually tells you any conclusions and just lets people assume it themselves in all the myriad ways they can alienate themselves to each other with.
>>
File: master feel.jpg (67KB, 425x518px) Image search: [Google]
master feel.jpg
67KB, 425x518px
>>383052121
Because at the time Halo CE got around there was actually still a Quake/Wolfenstein/Unreal Tournament scene where speed was the indicator for your skill.
Looking at the rather slow combat and the overal casualization coupled with the controller controls made for a pretty vocal group of people who shittalked the game because it's not Quake and the like.

Turns out the combat was tuned to the controls with a focus on teamwork instead of indivudual speed and the Singleplayer was equally fun as the Multiplayer.
>>
>>383065142
Surprise, a fat fedora tipping neckbeard trying to argue the relevancy of his favorite games.
>>
>>383065583
lmao, ok then pal.

what an angry, strange little man you are
>>
>>383065652
>2007 version (still available on console with Orange Box) compared to the most recent Steam version (build 4016097). This video highlights visual details in texture, lighting, animation and physics. "getpos" and "setpos" commands were used to record everything at the exact same angle and location on both instances.
That video was nothing but comparing visual stuff from the launch game to the current one.
>>
>>383065461
Are you an underage that doesn't remember Xbox live numbers? Halo 3 was the most played Xbox live title https://majornelson.com/2010/01/11/the-top-20-live-games-of-2009/ for several years.
>>
>>383065142
>System Shock 2
Hahahaha. SS2 doesn't even come close.

>Deus Ex
A contender for the throne, but Deus Ex is not really an FPS, it's more an ARPG. And I still think Halo CE is above it for immersion.
>>
>>383065676
I guess all you really can do is say that they're less popular when you're so blatantly wrong.
>>
>>383065841
He could have just linked you an article. But you are obviously an underage eurofaggot or prisoner offspring of one. Literally anyone who can remember 07 and onward knows how huge halo 3s player count was for years. It took reach to kill it.
>>
>>383056218
Haha I'm sorry you think bump mapping textures and bloom did that
>>383058264
Have you ever played a call of duty campaign?
>>
>>383066109
>>383066368
> https://majornelson.com/2010/01/11/the-top-20-live-games-of-2009/
thats literally all you had to post. not sure why you people here get so angry and aggressive over nothing.

and for the record i got my xbox in 2007 along with fantastic 4: rise of the silver surfer and spider-man 3. i never played gaylo 3 because i spent my time on the much superior cod 4 when i recieved that game at christmas
>>
>>383052121
Because oldfags an hero, manage to leave or have actual things to do while kiddos who grew up with this being their Doom or Quake are the main inhabitants of this shithole.

It's the same on every board, the bigger the faster. I actually enjoy the Halo series; namely because I have memories of multiplayer with friends, but to say it's one the best is to ignore that it was the overrated swan song of the genre. It and CoD became the reason no one but the most casual player is seen as the market for any major shooter.

Only good thing it really did was get me into fighting games more and now even that's becoming casualized.

tl;dr: we're here forever, but the majority of any population is toxic to the fundamentals and 'heritage' of any activity or idea they engage in.
>>
>>383067172
Only an underage wouldn't know that halo 3 was the most popular Xbox live title for several years after launch. Remember it caused live to be unusable for weeks after its launch?
>>
Yeah twitch shooters are fucking great if you're 15. Muh Quake 3 Arena. Muh LAN. You're old now go die.
>>
>>383056201
Gamrs like doom with no regeneration forces you to stay out of cover and run and gun.
Because you'll be low on health, trying to stay in cover, when all of a sudden that enemy comes to flank you when yoh're not paying attention, plus, you gotta go foward some day.
>>
>>383069307
Halo was always best on LAN.
>>
>>383056201
Doom encouraged going fast to avoid getting hit instead of hiding behind walls to avoid getting hit.
>>
>>383062546
Same here. The wife noticed how much I was playing it and got me an Xbox with halo 1 and oddworld: strangers wrath for my birthday. I actually preferred the xbox version over mouse and keyboard though it did take a little while to make the transition to dual stick, it just felt more fluid than only being able to move 4 directions with the keyboard. Stayed with the series till H4 which blew chunks, I abandoned it after 3 levels and never looked back. Left the xbox for Nintendo and didnt even realize that h5 was out until the e3 shitposting.
>>
>>383068681
why would i know that if i didn't play that? cod 4 was far, far more popular in my school

and i'm 24 champ, older than you.
>>
>>383070783
>and i'm 24 champ, older than you.
You're practically a fetus.
>>
>>383065652
>about how TF2 has gone downhill
you're the one coming up with that conclusion, not the video which was just a comparison
>>
Halo was a fad that some people saw cracks in day 1
I dislike it more now than I ever did back when it came out.
I can play classics like Half Life and Unreal like they just came out yesterday, same fun and engagement
Halo plays like a chore: no fun weaponry, slow movement, poorly made levels, shit health system.
A game I will never understand the passion and dedication for.
>>
>>383052121
>but now almost universally accepted as one of the best franchises ever
Yeah no. Halo was always shit
>>
>>383072469
You will never understand because you're a fat elitist neckbeard.
Thread posts: 118
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.