[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Since all the casuals and weebs are distracted by overwatch and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: 1414389440190.jpg (183KB, 960x600px) Image search: [Google]
1414389440190.jpg
183KB, 960x600px
Since all the casuals and weebs are distracted by overwatch and splatoon news, maybe I can get some straight heads in here about something.

I've seen the most terrible trend lately among people who say they want to be able to do anything in a video game. And if a game structures them or railroads them, then the game isnt good, no matter how small that railroading is. The open world meme has obviously been a topic for the last decade of people having the freedom to do "anything", and Im sure we can blame both skyrim and minecraft for making consumers now believe that a structured game that progresses you through challenges and has level design meant to make you think about things is evil. The two most important aspects of game design have been thrown under the bus for the sake of "broader worlds and more freedom."

What a mess our industry is in.
>>
>>383038465
>open-world is shit game-design
No shit sherlock
>>
>>383038652
my patron
>>
>>383038465

Open world is objectively the best genre possible. Unfortunately it's very difficult to make, so none have yet surpassed the best hand crafted linear games.

But rest assured, someday, a developer with a clarity of vision, true talent and a team of geniuses will create an open world game so great that every other genre will appear facile and unimportant.
>>
>>383040586
old crpgs devs already made good open worlds. why we cant do it with 16 GB of ram and large amount of CPU/ GPU power is beyond me.
>>
>>383040586
>objectively
>best genre

That makes no fucking sense, since it's a matter of taste if you like a genre or not. Sometimes I don't want to explore, but play through a bunch of challenges
>>
Whats more hilarious is how so long ago, actually having nothing to do or having direction was a big sin. Now, if you're not autistic enough to make up your own gameplay, you're considered a bad gamer and your game is considered bad.

If people want to play a true open world freedom experience, they should play the old Odyssey console games. All you did was basically move a pointer around on the screen and put a map picture over the tv screen. That fact alone shows that even open world memers want structure.
>>
>>383041172

Alright.

It's OBJECTIVELY the genre that will produce the greatest peaks of enjoyment with the largest audience.

It will OBJECTIVELY be most peoples SUBJECTIVE preferred genre.
>>
>>383042518
Open world is the ideal game structure for people, but I honestly believe what you're describing is effectively the ultimate adventure game.
>>
>>383042614

Yes I guess I am describing the ultimate adventure which would naturally have to be open world.
>>
File: morrowind fans.jpg (24KB, 360x270px) Image search: [Google]
morrowind fans.jpg
24KB, 360x270px
Oblivion is better than skyrim and morrowind. This is fact.
>>
>>383042738
When you say open world, then, then you should be saying adventure. Adventure was the right term before minecrafta kids got their hands on video game terminology.
>>
>>383038465
but gothic 1/2 were open world AND managed to have a nice level design with challenges and thought put into progression
>>
>>383044307
I dont called games like gothic, Vampire Masquerade, Magic, etc as open world. I just call them adventure rpgs with massive content.
>>
>>383044516
but gothic is legit open world. they just put thought into it instead of random generation with some shit here and there like elder scrolls and witcher
>>
>>383044795
At that point, I wouldnt call it open world. Open world is a terrible term at this point. I would avoid using it considering every bad game has used it this century. Just call them adventure rpgs like they're suppose to be.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.