[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why'd you guys shit on this game? Playing through it now

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 290
Thread images: 29

File: Fates_Boxart_-_Conquest.jpg (351KB, 1500x1372px) Image search: [Google]
Fates_Boxart_-_Conquest.jpg
351KB, 1500x1372px
Why'd you guys shit on this game? Playing through it now and it's pretty enjoyable.
>>
Because Elise << Sakura
>>
>>383032675
Shit story but it's generally praised for its gameplay.
>>
File: 1496420118501.jpg (67KB, 514x379px) Image search: [Google]
1496420118501.jpg
67KB, 514x379px
>>
It's the best of the 3DS titles and one of the best FE games ever.

You can tell who's a real FE fan by how much they like Conquest. Casualfags who play FE for "m-muh story" fucking hate it.
>>
The story. That's pretty much it. Oh and oldfags hate it for being post-Awakening, while the Awakeningfags hate it with a "me too!" mindset.
>>
>>383032675
Nostalgiafags and 4chan in general will always shit on things
>>
>>383032675
Because the entire Fates package was a wasted potential (It didnĀ“t live to the hype, the premise was actually interesting), but Conquest is well liked and praised for the gameplay.
>>
>>383032675
Shitty story and easily exploited online/personal castle stuff.
It's still a really good title, but it isn't the best in the series. Great maps but they peter out towards the end. One of those titles I'd recommend to an older player who can tolerate the abhorrent plot to make it to the fun parts, but not a new player.
>>
>>383032675
Literally just finished Conquest a week ago and was amazed at how good this game is. Just goes to show you that you should just ignore /v/ when they trash a game since this place is filled with shitposters trying to out-contrarian each other.
>>
File: Female_Corrin.png (880KB, 1000x1418px) Image search: [Google]
Female_Corrin.png
880KB, 1000x1418px
>>383034263
fucking this. I play vidya for the gameplay. if I just wanted story or to fap to Corrin, I'd just watch a walkthrough of it on YouTube.
>>
>>383034263
This. It's the most FE game released. You can tell someone is cancer to the series when they say genealogy is their favorite
>>
>>383032675
I'd rank it in top 5 but it has a story and characters so bad they'd be better if they weren't there at all and you were fighting for no reason at all.
It nails the most important aspects, but in the areas it doesn't nail absolutely, it's shittier than anything else in. Too many extremes for it to be a perfect game, but also too many for it to be bad.
>>
>>383036654
I'd say the biggest are those who are obsessed with FE7, not because it's a bad game but because they consider it to be perfect in all ways.
>>
>>383036889
If we're talking about starting points in the series, I would say it's really good. The problem with genealogy is that all it has going for it over conquest is story, which is not something that should be focused in this series.
>>
>>383032675
It sold well and I can marry fucking anyone. Why would it be bad? Aside from Azura being kind of dumb, it was everything I wanted from awakening. A nice little house castle, online stuff where I could visit other people's castles and gather stuff to make things with, and a difficulty where I didn't have to worry about characters dying on me so I could complete the support log without having to reset all the time.
>>
>>383032675
>make game
>cut into three separate parts and sell them individually as dlc to bleed customers
>shit tier localization with "problematic" content like waifu minigame and bikinis removed
unless you pirated it of course and got the superior version.
>>
>>383032838
I've played 6, 7, 8 and Awakening and they all had shitty stories.
>>
>>383038373
what a silly accusation. This isn't pokemon where each route had minor differences. Each of the Fates routes had completely different maps, characters, storylines, difficulty, and even equipment. They were actually different enough to warrant being separate games.

I mean, I pirated everything, but still
>>
>>383032675
I would have appreciated it more had they worked in the switching armies dynamic from some previous titles, giving even the shittier stories some depth due to showing both perspectives as you battle, and testing the player's skill by changing up the available units. Instead they split it into two games with an asinine third. Conquest is still a good game but its wasted potential was too high.
>>
>>383038373
>make 2 separate games each with more content then the series "holy grail" that is FE4 FE7 and FE9
>one of them is literally the best game in the series
>fans still mad

Literally worse than metroidfags
>>
>>383039338
Not him but hold the fuck up, not even metroidfags are as bad as you guys.
FE fans are nearing sonic-tier bad.
>>
File: 1445492064853.jpg (268KB, 860x826px) Image search: [Google]
1445492064853.jpg
268KB, 860x826px
>>383032675
>expect you to side with Nohr so you can regain your birthplace by war
>think you'll find reason with your father, perhaps tempering his aggression so he can rule with a heavy but fair hand
>"lol no he's a monster and you should feel ashamed for not choosing Birthright as you want peace and everyone to live happily"
>>
>>383038940
the minor differences between pokemon games are so minor they're not worth complaining about. these are huge routes through what should be a single game being sold separately simply to make a quick buck at the expense of you.
>>
>>383032675
It's usually just retards hoping for (you)'s, because the fanbase at large has always acknowledged it being one of the greatest FE titles in terms of map design and playability, which is all that really matters in a FE game.
>>
>>383034263
Conquest's map game becomes shit towards endgame though, they just force so many stupid gimmicks. I couldn't take the shitty gimmicks anymore and was burnt out on the game by the time I got to the endless faceless stair chapter.
>>
>>383039546
It's weird when the fans don't even like a game that had everything the series needs and then some.
>>
>>383039959
>huge routes
that's the point you goddamn retard

if 80% of the game is different in each route then yes, they do warrant being sold as separate games

>>383040216
casual as fuck
there is only one shitty gimmick chapter and that's fox village
>>
>>383040216
Seriously?

Drop the series, you make the rest of us actual fans look bad
>>
>>383040426
>if 80% of the game is different in each route then yes, they do warrant being sold as separate games
no they should be a single game. any attempt to justify this shit is corporate bootlicking.
>>
>>383032675
Literally because of waifus. If it didn't had waifus, people would enjoy it and ignore the shit story, like everyone's been doing in this series since FE7 was released
>>
I finished Conquest a few days ago and I'm about to jump in Revelations. What can I expect lads?
>>
File: Smash_Corrin_F.png (1012KB, 756x342px) Image search: [Google]
Smash_Corrin_F.png
1012KB, 756x342px
>>383032675
I just beat it a few hours ago and I had a good time with it in gameplay. But the story is just so offensively bad along with Corrin's character being one of the worst things that I have ever seen in a video game that it knocks off a few points. It could have been so much better, and the hype surrounding it before release didn't make dealing with these faults any better.

In conclusion, good game tainted by a abysmal story, Corrin is cute and I want her feet in my mouth.
>>
>>383040692
you realize that it costs extra money and resources to make those separate routes, right?

literally no other FE in history has even close to the sheer content of all 3 Fates routes combined.

you're so blinded by your supposed "corporate bootlicking" you can't see two fucking inches in front of your face

again, I pirated the entire thing so I don't give a fuck about giving money to Nintendo or IS. Saying Fates should be one game is simpyl fucking stupid
>>
File: [IhavenowillIhavenoobjections].jpg (62KB, 396x691px) Image search: [Google]
[IhavenowillIhavenoobjections].jpg
62KB, 396x691px
>>383039338
Yeah about that.
FE fans are spiraling out of control for some reason now, it's actually worse than post FEA FE fanbase now. Particularly contentious about the 3DS still though
>I like Conquest
>shitty story, the maps lose quality near the end, split halfgame, what are you, retarded, have some standards and play a full game, also (X) game is better
>I like Birthright
>retarded awakeningbaby play an actually good game "muh honorabu" and maybe stop being such a faggot that you like (FEA feature), also (X) game is better
>I like Awakening
>ruined FE you fucking casual I bet this was your first game go back to school kid and take your shitty waifus with you, (X) game is better
>I like Echoes
>wow are you braindead worst maps you aren't allowed to like the crawling or story go back to your NES nostalgiafag kill yourself (X) game was better
It's fucking impossible to discuss any of them without some dunce jumping in and telling you that the game they liked was better and using the ever popular insult "the cancer killing FE"
We have surpassed Pokefags as the shittiest nintendo fanbase.
>>
>>383032675

Conquest is generally praised for its gameplay, which is pretty good (Though the maps get annoyingly gimmicky later on in the game). The main problems are:

>Embarrassingly bad story. (No world-building, retarded characters, etc.)
>Game split into three parts + DLC.

I would dare to say that it is one of the best examples of "wasted potential" in video games. That said, I did enjoy my first playthrough of Conquest despite the story and characters.
>>
>>383040904
terrible unit balance
the most unfun starting chapters you can have in FE
>>
>>383040904
Don't.

Just don't. It isn't worth it man.
>>
>>383040692
It's less that they should be all integrated, and more that they should have not divided the separate armies between two games. They've proven themselves capable of making games with opposing sides in one game and it worked well in the story for showing both sides of a war in a single game and also testing the player's skill with varying units.
>>
>>383041223
I'm pretty sure this (X) game is almost always Thracia.
>>
>>383041131
at no point does any sane consumer look at a game and think "gee this game has too much content i wish they split it all up to sell separately". you have to be the biggest drone on the planet to defend this.
>you're so blinded by your supposed "corporate bootlicking" you can't see two fucking inches in front of your face
and you're too whipped to complain about shitty anti-consumer business practices. i don't even understand why you're defending it if you openly admit to piracy, do you just not care because it doesn't effect you?
>>
>>383040904

Expect terrible unit balance and boring gimmicks.
>>
>>383041586
no fucking shit it's better for the consumer if it was one game. Holy fuck you're so stupid it's mind-boggling. It'll also be better for the consumer if the entire game was free and if the 3DS was also free and came with a car and also paid your mortgage. You're so asinine and yet at the same time pretending to be intelligent by being pro-consumer that it legitimately makes me wonder how hard you were dropped as a child
>>
>>383041578
I don't see as much thracia praise as Genealogy praise
>>
dub only.
>>
Nohr's version is 10x better than Hoshido's version

https://youtu.be/ZpLnM6e49bE?t=52
>>
>>383041578
Not always.
"(X) game" has been genealogy, PoR, RD, Conquest, Echoes, SS, and a few others. It varies from thread to thread, the only thing that doesn't vary is it happening.
>>
>>383041859
Less people played Thracia because of garbage fan translation, but the ones that did can be pretty snob
>>
>>383041261
>>383041386
>>383041658
Thanks for the responses, I think I'll push it to the side for now. (or forever)
>>
>>383041928
They were both dogshit in the english version, her VA was terrible. Although the final boss one is good.
>>
>>383032675
The story is bad, like real bad. Which wouldn't be such a big deal if Nintendo didn't tell us that it was written by a famous mangaka. It's basically just deception about that I guess.

Though yeah Conquest has very good maps, very good balance overall, and pacing. Probably my favourite FE game in a while. I don't give a shit about story since, it's almost always garbage anyways. The only thing text related interesting for me are the support and ships.

So yeah great game for me. It was just a dick move to separate all the Fate series in 3 games (but most of /v/ probably don't give a fuck about that since we all freeshoped the game).
>>
>>383042001
Probably.

The newer genealogy fans are pretty awful as well
>>
>>383041836
>no fucking shit it's better for the consumer if it was one game.
then why are you defending it you mongoloid. retards like you are the reason dlc and microtransaction shit has gotten so bad.
>>
>>383032675
It was too hard for Awakeningfags so they cried about it
>>
>>383038506
Fates' story is way worse than any of those. And even if you consider those bad, it's not an excuse to make things worse.

And those games also have much better settings than Fates. They actually develop some lore for the setting and some backstory for their characters to make a believable world. Fates is just a clusterfuck. At least the Hoshido characters have a bit more to them than the ones from Awakening.
>>
Say what you will about Fates' story, but it gave us solid memery
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0ML-Uh-1nk
>>
>>383034263
I agree and I also don't expect much from a story in a jrpg. But godamn if it still didn't bother me how retarded the story was. Well until I my mind started adding laughtracks and it became a great comedy
>>
>>383042180
>too hard
>fates has phoenix mode
Bullshit
>>
>>383042136
read my analogy again, carefully, you dumb fucking retard
>>
>>383042404
Stop responding to him. It's obvious he's a butthurt tellius fag
>>
>>383042404
you're the retard who can't defend his own points so he has to take what i say and take it to a retarded extreme to avoid addressing it. shit son you already admitted i was right.
>hurr you don't like dlc shit you must think everything should be free
>>
>>383038506
No, their support dialogues are totally better written than fates.
>>
>>383042636
nice strawman
>>
>>383042758

I agree. Fates does have some good supports, but the fact that so many units have to support so many OTHER units really thins out their quality.
>>
>>383042815
>It'll also be better for the consumer if the entire game was free and if the 3DS was also free and came with a car and also paid your mortgage.
those are your own words boi
tell me what benefits you gain as a consumer by defending shitty business practices for free
>>
>>383043017
>can't understand why a company that spent more resources should ask for more money
so dumb it hurts
>>
>>383042251
>At least the Hoshido characters have a bit more to them than the ones from Awakening.
Not at all. Even the kid characters in awakening have a history and past relationships. Most characters in fates are introduced as a retainer and that's pretty much it. A few characters do have a history(e.g. peri, jakob, gunther, oboro) but a vast majority don't, and most of the time it just feels like a disconnected justification for a shitty archetype(i.e. Peri, Felicia)
>>
>>383043152
>so dumb it hurts
>still won't answer my question
the correct answer is that you don't have one so you try to redirect the conversation to avoid it.
>>
>>383043413
>answer question not once, not twice, but three times
>he can't comprehend the answer
>so he just denies it ever happened
>>
File: 1471947583449.jpg (54KB, 624x448px) Image search: [Google]
1471947583449.jpg
54KB, 624x448px
>>383032675
Some people think more dangerous enemies make better map design and some people don't.
>>
>>383043652
my question was what do you as a customer gain by defending them and all you've done is avoid it with insults and misdirection.
>>
>>383042251
The Hoshido characters were even weaker than the Conquest ones anon. The reason the BR plot isn't as bad (but still terrible) as CQ's is that it makes you feel for the Nohr characters, at least a little.
>Ryouma perishes by his own hand to further your goal, with "honour"
>Takumi was a dick and his spirit says "hey i'm sorry go kill me"
>Hinoka is sad but she was ultimately a cardboard cutout and she got over it
Meanwhile
>Xander resigns himself to death as he has no reason to live after being betrayed and accidentally causing the death of his youngest sibling
>Elise perishes blocking an attack from Xander and dies in his arms
>Camilla falls into a deep depression after losing her family and gives her rulership to Leon
>>
>>383032675
Because your usual /v/-goer typically has no actual taste in games.
>>
>>383043819
the consumer isn't the only thing that matters you giant fucking asshat. Holy shit. There's a difference between pro-consumer and being absolute fucking retarded and thinking nobody but the consumer matters. That's not how the world works. I'll repeat it again: You're so asinine and yet at the same time pretending to be intelligent by being pro-consumer that it legitimately makes me wonder how hard you were dropped as a child

this is my last (You) unless you say something intelligent in your reply. If I don't respond, you'll know you failed
>>
>>383043000
I find it evens out actually. There are still still some shit supports in the GBA games and those are limited. By the end there are more good supports in Fates then them, but there are also more bad supports. I depends also on which ones you get first.
>>
>>383043296
Yes, I agree with what you are saying, but lots of gen 1 character in Awakening have much less back story or personality. The Hoshido side has people that feel more human. Oboro has several sides to her, Saizo has lots of ties with other characters, and a personal history that defines him and gives him motivation. A lot of the Nohr characters are tropey, like you say. The notable ones are Peri and Niles.

Then Awakening has tons of shitters like Vaike, Kellam, Maribelle and other forgettable characters. Virion was one of the few I liked and even he was horribly underdeveloped. Had it been an older FE, we would've been shown exactly where he was from and what it was like, rather than just be told vaguely. Point is, Awakening develops characters less than Hoshido ones.
>>
File: 1448224423094.gif (125KB, 452x360px) Image search: [Google]
1448224423094.gif
125KB, 452x360px
>>383032675
It wasn't bad, but I found a lot of it to be incredibly forgettable.
I only really remember the famous maps and the finale. Elise was cute I guess? There's really not much more to say about it, it was a decent and playable FE, like all the other 3DS ones except for Revelations.
>>
>>383043926
All the royals are absolute trash, except maybe Leo and Takumi in supports. When I say I think the Hoshido side is better, I'm talking about everyone besides the royals.
>>
>>383044421
Leo has the most boring supports. He pretty much ties with Hinoka. Name one interesting one. Leo was the most disappointing royal and I am still bitter since I wanted to like him.
>>
>>383044421
All of the side characters were very one-note or blandly characterized with heavy cliches except for a very select few anon.
>>
>>383044141
Why do you automatically equate not wanting to get fucked by egregious amounts of DLC bullshit with being a faggot commie who wants everything for free? I never said I hated a company trying to make money, I just want to go back to being able to buy a full game instead of this "games as a service" bullshit where you get shit pieced out for more than the price of a full game.
>this is my last (You) unless you say something intelligent in your reply. If I don't respond, you'll know you failed
Okay.
>>
>>383044621
I like his rant at Forrest in the recruitment chapter
>>
Conquest > Birthright > Echoes > Revelations > Awakening
>>
>>383045385
>Birthright
>Above of Echoes
>Revelations above anything

No.
>>
>>383045385
>Revelations > Awakening
Let's not.
>>
File: 1086.png (126KB, 560x560px) Image search: [Google]
1086.png
126KB, 560x560px
>>383045385
>anything above revelation
>>
>>383045385
CQ>SoV>FEA>BR>Rev
>>
File: free-shrugs.jpg (50KB, 449x642px) Image search: [Google]
free-shrugs.jpg
50KB, 449x642px
>>383045385
I liked awakening
>>
>>383045116
Different anon.

The problem that I don't think both sides will ever agree upon is that conquest and birthright are completely seperate games. There is enough in most people eyes to justify calling them two different games.

I personally believe that to be the case. Both games are so different it deserves to be different games. You might not believe that to be so, but they didn't Pokemon people who bought both games, they also cut the price in half if you have one copy and give you in-game bonuses for having them.
>>
>>383045525
Echoes is not a very good or in my opinion, fun game. The story is so generic it is offensive, the gameplay is poor to bad, and none of the characters are remotely interesting. I get that it is a faithful remake, I understand that limits it. That doesn't make it a good game or excuse all of its flaws.
>>
>>383046180
Not him but I liked it. The story was good and I cared about the characters, and it had some really nice "new (remade)" gameplay stuff that was great.
>>
>>383046180
You can't say its story is generic and put fucking Birthright above of it, when it has an even more generic story, generic characters, and bland maps.
>>
>>383046180
It's still better than Birthright. Birthright was an even crappier version of awakening, with none of the good stuff.
>>
>>383046180
The characters were fine, standard FE grade, and the story was in the better half of FE stories. It's not the best but it's not a bad game at all.
Still better than Birthright on that list.
>>
>>383043926
>all this Nohr bias
I can make a biased description, too.
>Ryouma commits seppuku, so the Corrin doesn't haven't to suffer any more
>After all the shit you have done, Takumi manages to forgive you
>Can't really defend Hinkoa
Meanwhile
>Xander selfishly wants to die by your hand, when Corrin was obviously in the right
>Elise blocking an attack from Xander is a retarded plan
>Camilla falls into a depression about as deep for supporting the wrong side, instead of siding with Corrin
The plot is an important part of characterization and with the massive Hoshido-biased story turning the Nohr royals into insufferable retards, I honestly can't fell for them.
>>
>>383046643
not even him, but birthright at least wasn't offensively inoffensive

the plot was more complex then "farmboy turns out to be a prince to battle an ancient evil that has awakened" hamfisted with a terrible romance

characters actually have lines. Genny can go the entire game without a single support. Town conversations were a poor band-aid

Birthright maps sucked but they weren't even close to Echoe's shitty and repetitive maps. Echoes makes Birthright look like Conquest

Birthright also benefited from Fate's good mechanics overall, like attack stance/pair up, skill system, and class variety

The only thing Echoes has over birthright is that it was marginally harder than Ryoma Emblem: The Raijintoing, but both games are so easy it's really not much of a contest.
>>
>>383046490
I didn't care for it. I realize a lot of it is personal opinion, but it is a game I never need to pick up again. I don't like how predictable and generic it is.

>>383046643
Not that anon who ranked above, but I would still rank Birthright over Echoes based on soley on the fact that I would play Birthright again and never want to touch SOV again. I personally liked the characters in Birthright while I struggled to even see character in Echoes.

Echoes is what it is. I find it to be one of the best most faithful remakes around and would love to see more remakes made with that amount of loving detail. I just didnt like the game at all. That doesn't mean I don't appreciate what it is. If that makes sense?
>>
>>383047060
It isn't biased though.
Ryouma willfully ends his life and ends it on good terms with the MC.
Takumi did nothing to make the MC sympathetic to him, and there was nothing to indicate his possession in the plot aside from needing something less lame than Garon the goo man as the final boss.

Xander had memories of his father being an actual good person and harbored deep resentment for you betraying them after they were your family for your whole life for people who came out of nowhere and made some (actually untrue) claims.
Elise was legitimately the most caring and involved sibling in the route and even went against her father's instructions just to help you. If you can't feel bad for a little kid loving you so much they would die for you, then idk what to say.
And Camilla's depression was perfectly reasonable, considering she eventually went with Kamui anyway. Her whole family except for one brother just died, do you expect her to shake that off and be fine with it?
The Hoshido characters were terrible anon, and had deaths that just served to make the player like them more (honourable death, spirit apologizes for being a dick). It's not bias, it's called not being blind.
>>
>>383040426
Are you seriously saying you thought inevitable end ninjas or Iago's infinite hexing rod were fun to fight against?
>>
>>383047461
Eh, I can understand that. I feel the same about Birthright, it was so boring I never wanted to play through it again either, so I know what you mean. Forced myself through it and the finale was just idling and watching the boss kill itself. It was more predictable and generic than FEA imo, but meh.
>>
>>383045385
Conquest>Echoes>Birthright>Awakening>Revelations
>>
>>383048093
iago's hexing rod is easily played around. He uses all his staffs in order, it's extremely easy to play around. The biggest difficulty in that chapter isn't even Iago, he's a complete joke, it's the tons of high-statted berserkers and Faceless

Inevitable end is easily countered by Shuriken-breaker, which is easy to get since Niles gets that naturally. If you're playing on Lunatic, you have nobody but yourself to blame for not preparing correctly. And even if you do fuck up, you can just have Corrin solo Ryoma

The only unfair bullshit in CQ Lunatic is the Endgame, and 90% of that is due to lolnosaves. If you could actually save before endgame, all the staff spam and inevitable end wouldn't be nearly as big a deal
>>
>>383047461
I don't really understand considering how Birthright is almost autobattle tier in terms of gameplay and the characters are one and done without anything to them and Echoes at least has some good points compared to Birthright's zero good points, but I can respect that you have an opinion and articulated it without becoming a mindless ape like the rest of this board.
>>
>>383048560
Even with shuriken breaker they still have very decent hit rates on Niles and will kill him if you're not lucky enough to have him dodge anything.
>>
>>383047060
I would expect a character to become terminally depressed after losing her family when her character has been explicitly developed about being overprotective and caring about her family more than anything else.
>>
>>383049047
what? My Niles didn't get hit a single time and he tanked every ninja on that chapter like a champ. Ryoma's chapter was the easiest endgame chapter
>>
>>383047461
Well I suppose that makes sense, but really? You'd replay Birthright and consider the characters better than Echoes? I mean the gameplay is up to preference and I can understand not wanting to replay one, and so are the characters, but the characters in Echoes are a lot more organic and believable than the walking tropes in BR. And there's not much gameplay to speak of in it.
>>
>>383040771
Anti-waifufags are worse than waifufags desu, they'll trash anything in its entirety over it.
>>
>>383048060
>>383049049
I was saying your description were biased, so I wrote my description with extreme bias as well. I was not defending the Hoshido characters at all. They were all terrible. I honestly hated how the only reason Takumi could hate you was that he was possessed. Xander also has good memories of Corrin and compared to Garon is more honest and moral. The massive retardation is enough for me to rate them lower than the bland Hoshido side.
>>
File: elise_contemplating_suicide.jpg (48KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
elise_contemplating_suicide.jpg
48KB, 300x300px
>Echoes has good characters

where the fuck did this meme come from

Just because Echoes has low character quantity doesn't automatically make it have high character quality.

Supports between characters are non-existent, and the few times they do appear, their supports reek of filler. The town conversations are a lazy band-aid solution that are frankly a total chore to go through. Supports are so scarce that many characters can go the entire game without saying anything except their recruitment lines. Genny, a starting party member on Celica's route, has literally ZERO supports if you chose Deen over Sonya (which you should).
>>
>>383047060
It's biased toward the white night country instead of the dark night country because the white night kingdom we're stopping the darkness the dark night kingdom was bringing. I don't know why they changed Marx's or the kingdom names and I assume a lot of subtext was lost through shitty localization because of it.

Now if I could find a nip .3ds with the invisible country route on it I could finish the game because the nip special edition doesn't have the dlc on cartage. They were given a dlc code. And apparently the 3rd route goes full retard in the story.
>>
>>383049459
yeah and the gameplay in echoes is complete ass. On one hand I'm glad they were faithful to the original title's maps for posterity's sake, but on the other almost all of them are a monotonous slog that drain the enjoyment the cast and story bring.
>>
>>383049992
I was saying why they were better though.
All the Hoshido characters did was be absolved of their issues and emerge flawless and perfect.
The Nohr characters were better simply because they weren't perfect and it showed their flaws in their undoings, and that was the point I was trying to get across.
>>
>>383050048
It doesn't. But they are naturally more believable and less focused on a certain "like me please" trait that the Fates characters were. Even the Awakening characters were better than Fates ones though.
>>
>>383048769
I enjoyed a lot of Birthrights endgame stuff. Xander and Elises death was played out well, as well as Xanders end speech about how he knew his dad was evil and he wanted to support you but felt forced to stay due to wanting to bring his dad back and how he felt obligated to Nohr as crown prince. Things impact people differently though and I can see why people wouldn't like it. Just like you found SOV more interesting I found it almost offensively bland and almost a waste of time. This is just a matter of difference of opinion.

I also enjoyed that I could have a greater unit variety in Birthright, sure there are ways to cheese the ending and game, but I liked that I wasn't forced to just go one way. In Echoes I felt like In had to do things one way and on top of that hope that my units didn't get star screwed to all hell.

Most responses to either side are just people spamming hate and not reading thought out arguments. I stopped trying to argue for the most part since for a long time people would just post >fates, good then some anime reaction picture.
>>
File: imafag.png (7KB, 223x226px) Image search: [Google]
imafag.png
7KB, 223x226px
>>383050182
I enjoyed it, and the dungeon crawling, music, and unit mechanics.
But then again, I'm probably considered a stupid nostalgiafag by the rest of this board anyway, so I don't know why I really bother. Feel free to call me one, I've resigned myself to no one else liking the game, like every other game I like.
>>
>>383040216
just class change xander into a wyvern, then with only xander, camilla, and corrin on the map just ferry corrin to a dragon vein every turn. then beat the level in a very low amount of turns.
>>
>>383050048
The supports are as decent as they've always been, though there are less of them. But they're fully voiced, which makes them more engaging and charming. Unless you play with the sound off or skip the voices because you read faster, the voices go a long way in helping.
>>
>>383049459
I struggled to find any character in echoes. The characters that did have character I didn't like. The supports might as well not even be there. Not that I liked all the Birthright ones, but at least I liked some of them. So yes, I would rather play Birthright over Echoes and do consider them better characters since there is nothing but gimmick characrers in Echoes. They aren't allowed to expand past their gimmick due to so little supports, dialogue and no interaction besides their one support and Alm. All that is personal opinion though. You are free to like them just as I am free to not like them.
>>
>>383032675
/v/ is filled to the brim with dumb manchildren that hate on great games.
>>
>>383050863
Ah, well that's reasonable enough, Elise's death was far better than whatever was in CQ's in terms of narrative strength. I felt more impacted by the story of Echoes due to the more traditional story setting and worldbuilding, and I did think the same of BR as you have denoted (but with "I could have played CQ again" in my mind instead).

Fate's unit selection reminded me a tad too much of Awakening (since in many older titles you pretty much have whatever side you're on's army depending on the game, while in Awakening and Fates there is only one consolidated army), but overall I can respect that you enjoyed the wider, easier to get into appeal of Birthright.
>>
>>383051527
I suppose, but that is natural that you would find it easier to find the gimmick in Birthright's mostly one-note characters due to the amount of times they can iterate it over and over with a variety of characters versus Echoes only being able to characterize with limited supports. I don't mean to be rude but this really does remind me of when awakening was new and people were articulating why they liked it over previous installments in the series.
>>
Every time
>Fates thread
>"at least it's better than echoes"
>cue thread turning into bitching about and defending echoes
and then
>Echoes thread
>"well at least it's better than fates"
>cue thread taken over by arguing about fates
Every fucking time.
Shut the fuck up about the other games, make a new thread for it.
>>
>>383052570
We did.
>>
>>383052673
Then go there and keep fates here.
>>
>>383052163
Now that you point it out, it is pretty similar to the FEA release. Strange how we eventually circle back after all these years.
>>
>>383051715
Oh don't get me wrong, Fates dropped the ball in tons of spots. It could have had an amazing world with a rich history. It didn't though. To me Valencias world is just too generic, all that stuff they give you hardly matters or needs to be told to you due to it having been done a hundred times over. You can do that and make it good (see Skies of Arcadia for jrpg tropes done flawlessly.) But you need to pull them off perfectly if you want them to work or be good at all.

I enjoyed the unit selection, making units odd things and playing that way. Make Ryoma a Pegasus Knight if you want to use him and but not break the game. Making things unusual classes and playing around them is fun for me. How rigid Echoes was took some of that away. I know you couldn't really do as much customization in the previous FE games, but I always liked that addition in these ones.
>>
>>383052814
This is that thread you retard
>>
>>383053108
We then you have nothing to worry about retard, because then you weren't the people I was addressing.
>>
>>383040216
I'm on the 2nd to last chapter on first playthrough hard classic and haven't picked up the game in a month or so, the game just gets too frustrating near the end; every single map starts to have these areas where the only way to approach is to go to a space that can be targeted by 4 units at once and they'll all have poison strike bullshit.
>>
>>383042310
You're on to something there? Wanna try doing a video based on that and see where it gets you?
I'd watch it. Hope your comedic timing is good.
>>
>>383052163
I don't deny that a lot of Birthright characters are one note. That doesn't make any of the ones in Echoes any better or less one note.

Most echoes characters don't even get lines out of their recruitment and the maybe one support they get. You can't claim them to be better when they don't evolve or have anything going for them aside from their tiny amount of screen time.

Both games have gimmick characters. But at least some in Birthright have more then that. That isn't true in Echoes. The past games have characters that aren't just one note. Why can't Echoes? I guess I don't get why people can say Echoes has good characters when most are hardly characters at all.
>>
Personally, i like to pretend Fates doesn't exist.

We got Awakening, which was great, and then Echoes, which is good too.

Fates... everything just sucks.
The kid mechanic is shoehorned for no reason, fucking Awakening kids copies everywhere, the supports are garbage, in BR you end up overpowered as fuck just by doing the paralogues.

Yes the gameplay was slightly improved over Awakening but everything else was worse.
Even the setting, Samurai, Ninja and other japanese stuff just sucks compared to traditional medieval.
>>
>>383053082
Yeah, I would say a lot of it comes from the appeal of the older, more traditional FE setting rather than the newer style in Fates. If you like it changing styles, then stick with the new style. It might be an ill comparison, but it's like Pokemon fans who enjoyed the old setting of "interpretive excuse plot" versus the newer, story oriented approach of the newest games.

I do appreciate that the games did more to keep and attract a wide audience and were much easier to appeal to people than the old, rather archaic style of Echoes (which is of a game that even among older fans was considered an oddball). Like you said though, it's really a matter of preference if you like the strange, archaic style of Echoes or the modern, easy to take in appeal of Fates.
Good taste in other rpgs though, Skies of Arcadia was very good.
>>
>RD
Really? I still remember everyone hating it.
>>
>>383053808
Fuck off
>>
I just finished the birtright and found myself skipping almost all of the dialogues near the end because it was awful. The story was absymal. At the start I was thinking that I'm going to play Nohr after this or just Revelations, but there is no way I'm playing any of the fe games in the near future.
I guess it worked as a waifu simulator and reading some of the support dialogues was nice, but the story was so bad and so cliche that I just couldn't stand it. And I can stomach plot holes and shit like this if the story is at least fun. But I don't think you can find a more boring setting than playing the 100% crystal clear good guys. And 80% of the game was fucking filler. There was even no lore to fill in the boring parts. Ehh
>>
>>383042310
>Fire Emblem Seinfeld
Fund it
>>
>>383046180
>Story so generic
You do realize they just souped up what was already there two decades ago, right? They didn't rewrite a generic story, they fleshed it out. This is something worthy of praise for a remake, because both voice acting and the new characters gave some depth to an otherwise sapless story.
>>
>>383054092
Stay butthurt Fates faggot, the game is garbage.
>>
>>383051512
>The supports are as decent as they've always been
not true at all. Supports are extremely short and lack depth.
>>
>>383046180
>>383054187
Also, yes, I realize, you've addressed this point. But more the reason not to bring it into discussion.
>>
>>383053770
Echoes characters are simply more appealing to me because they focused on less of a "like me" trait, while most of the BR characters were deliberately overemphasizing some very cartoonish traits such as always being a ditz and falling in traps, being a silly clumsy maid, etc. The Echoes characters felt like they had more of a traditional motivation and were considerably more organic and believable as characters because they didn't have to be written to line up to a huge variety of characters. Although it's perfectly fine to like the characters of BR considering they were deliberately written to focus on appealing and easy to like traits that would elicit quick appeal from the viewer. There isn't anything wrong with that and it means they did their job efficiently and you enjoyed the game as it was intended.
>>
>>383053668
that's good map design you casual

One of the reasons Conquest stands out is because its AI is intelligent enough not to fall for bait tactics

I suggest you turn down the difficulty
>>
>>383053808
awakeningfags and echoescucks, everyone
>>
>>383053770
See, people fundamentally disagree with your premise that there's only one note characters in Echoes. Really, every single one? And as said, personality goes a long way. Mae might not have been an interesting character in old games, but people like her voice.

Just look at Endgame quotes. I find Echoes quotes to be superior, and not just because of voice acting.
>>
>>383053882
I have only played the GBA games in terms of other FE games but I enjoyed them. I did start with Awakening and went back to play them because I was interested in the series. All of them have their points and I like things in all of them. I might be hopeful, but I do hope that the series keeps moving on how it is and if they actually do make an effort for world building in the next game and keep the gameplay that Conquest has it can shape up really well.

>>383054187
I do realize that. I think Echoes is an amazing remake and very good for what it is. I just don't like the story, characters and gameplay. SOV was the blacksheep of FE wasn't it? So while I like what I have played from the other games that doesn't mean I have to like this one as it is very different. I hope they make more of the older games like Echoes is faithfully made so I can experience them. Basically I appreciate it for what it is but don't care for it.
>>
>>383054328
Your opinion is harmful to the series as a whole
>>
>>383037536
This pretty much
I know everyone argues about the maps but this was the best one for people like me who play to complete the support log, have a cool custom castle to play with my friends in, and marry whoever the hell I want instead of having to use some set, uncustomizable joe as the main character. I can breeze past the maps and build supports if I want to without having to reset all the time too, so that's a step up from awakening and echoes, one which doesn't have the option and the other which doesn't have many supports at all
>>
File: hero-primary-characters.png (395KB, 540x623px) Image search: [Google]
hero-primary-characters.png
395KB, 540x623px
I just beat Echoes the other day. I think it and Conquest are opposites of each other.
Conquest has amazing gameplay and maps. Some of the best in the series. But the story and almost everything else about it reeks of wasted potential. It normally fails to engage me because it felt like "what's the point" and I'll spend days on one map.

Echoes has fantastic world building, engaging story, characters you can actually care about, full voice acting from competent voice actors, and more. Everything is top notch, except for the core gameplay and maps. Enemies that exist only to spawn more enemies is an awful idea when maps are almost exclusively rout the enemy.

They're like two sides of a coin.
>>
>>383055164
Good post
I can guarantee whatever other replies you get will be arguing about one or the other being absolute shit though, because /v/ can't speak in moderation.
>>
>>383055162
Huh, thought I was the only one who played more for the supports than the boring grid stuff. Thanks anon.
>>
>>383055162
Why do ypu even care about supports in Fates when they are all written by a mentally retarded 5 year old?
>>
>>383054559
You are free to like them more. Like I said I found it difficult to find any reason to like them because I just didn't have enough to like them. I didn't hate them either because for the most part they don't have enough to them to hate either.

I didn't like Setsuna or Felicia in Fates, like I said, not all of them escape their gimmicks, but a few have qualities in them I like. You don't have to like every character but I at least want to like a few.

>>383054951
Voices might go a long way, I usually play with sound off and I in general dislike all voice acting. I made an attempt to listen to the voices in this one but honestly it didn't endear me to any of them, it actually made me dislike Mae (I also didn't care for her art at all either so her voice didn't help.) If all they have going for them is voice acting it doesn't really help.
>>
File: 1GcJHnk.png (82KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1GcJHnk.png
82KB, 640x480px
Conquest suffered from acute feature bloat. Reclassing, children, My Castle, there's so many unnecessary (and often cheesy/unbalanced) mechanics meant to appeal to casuals that I can't imagine anyone besides the retarded "fuck video games, i just wanna pet muh wayfu lol" crowd actually asking for. Not to mention the absolutely pointless other two routes, which also probably wasted shitloads of dev time and bears partial responsibility for the story being sacc'd. I wonder why so many Japanese devs seem to believe that more bullshit = more sales, when all it does is detract from the game's overall quality.
>>
>>383055164
>Echoes has fantastic world building, engaging story, characters you can actually care about
that's wrong though.

Echoes has incredibly mediocre and boring writing on every front. Just because Fates writing sucked doesn't make Echoes writing hood
>>
>>383055831
>reclassing in fates, let alone conquest
>meant to appeal to casuals
Want to know how I know you didn't play the game?
>>
>>383055831
conquest is the opposite of casual you silly retard
>>
>>383055813
Well then that's a fundamental disagreement; some people really like voices in their games or whatever. Generally, I've heard a lot of praise for the dubs here on /v/, and I agree with them. Honestly, that's probably the source of your problems with the characters. It is obvious that there are less supports than in previous games because the game is fully voiced. Hopefully FE Switch won't have to compromise between voicing and quantity of supports.
>>
>>383055813
Yeah, that's fine anon. Like I said, if you enjoyed the cast of BR, they were written specifically to be more likeable and their one trait was usually used to make them line up with a lot of characters for supports. You enjoyed the game the way the creators intended you to. I just can't share the appeal of it.
>>
>>383056034
>not utilizing reclassing
What, do you not use tonics because they're too OP?
>>
Conquestfags are hilarious, they are constantly looking out for threads to defend their garbage game.

And they are so fucking butthurt lol.
>>
>>383056245
Reclass abuse in Conquest doesn't exist because of limited money and the changed mechanics where you keep your level, as well as each class only having one reclass option outside of A+/S rank seals.
>>
>>383056283
not an argument
>>
>>383056473
I don't use reclasses, but I'm pretty sure you do use a couple of the seals, like with reclassing Jakob.
>>
>>383056034
The ability to grab skills from different classes means that class variety inevitably goes down, and the designers have an limit on how they can design classes as a result. Before you ask, I don't approve of moving skills around in the Tellius games either, and the implementation of skills in those games wasn't great as a whole.
>>
>>383056473
I didn't play with it but I imagine you can use that to really buff somebody up like turning Hinoka to a spearmaster in BR.

Apparently Charlotte is really good as a zerker
>>
>>383056626
But hasn't class variety gone up in FE?
>>
>>383054560
How is that good map design? It's essentially "send Xander in first otherwise the enemies will gang bang the same guy to kill him and there's nothing you can do about it"
>>
>>383056626
>The ability to grab skills from different classes means that class variety inevitably goes down
that's just...not true at all. Conquest and Fates as a whole has about as much class variety as every other game in the series (in fact even more so, because you get Hoshido and Nohr classes), AND classes feel more unique because they get class skills. You're trying to say that reclassing limits design space, but there's no evidence of this at all.
>>
>>383056691
>>383056610
Reclassing does exist and I'm not saying it doesn't, I'm saying reclassing abuse (I.E. min-maxing from Awakening) does not.
>>
>>383056821
>I can't think of any other strategies except baiting so I'm going to call the game bad

try using that brain of yours
>>
>>383032675
>I like gimmicks
>>
>>383056626
>means that class variety inevitably goes down, and the designers have an limit on how they can design classes as a result
Fates has the most classes in FE only rivaling Radiant Dawn. Class variation has only gone up as the series goes on.
>>
>>383056932
But Conquest has Eternity Seals now. Which aren't really relevant for a playthrough, but that's how it was in Awakening. Outside of grinding, you aren't going to be reaching caps.

Realistically, reclassing in Awakening got you OP stuff like a wyvern rider panne or a dark mage/merc MU. That kind of thing can be done in Conquest too.
>>
>>383056170
I understand I am in the minority of people who don't like voice acting, or at least don't consider it a selling point. I love to read and it is much more enjoyable to add a voice to characters in my head as I read them. I also feel that without the voices to them most people wouldn't like the characters since that seems to be a lot of what people say add to them.

I really hope that FE Switch has a good mix in text, support, and voice acting for everyone who likes that. With how they are responding and kind of using Heroes to test responses to things it shows that at least that team cares and they want to make something people enjoy.

>>383056215
Pretty much just a fundamental difference in what people like is what it is. I really enjoyed the discussion though. It was nice to talk about these things without just constant shitposting.
>>
>>383057251
There is no grinding in Conquest and it's a very large money investment to reclass the same character multiple times.
>>
>>383057539
But its the same way in Awakening, if you don't grind. Especially since second seals aren't buyable till at the minimum midgame.
>>
>>383057264
>>383057264
>It was nice to talk about these things without just constant shitposting.
Agreed. Pretty rare in FE threads but it was good discussing with you too anon, thanks.
>>
>>383057762
>Especially since second seals aren't buyable till at the minimum midgame.
And this is why it's different. I'm not saying reclassing and skill dipping doesn't exist. What I am saying is that it by no means appeals to casuals because realistically they cannot abuse the system. Unlike Awakening, money and EXP are extremely limited, so they can't change-class everyone they please as many times as they want to get whatever skills they desire. Normally it's just one reclass per character, if that. That's not what I consider means to abuse the reclass system.
>>
>>383053770
Let's compare to those who do have screen time. I'll simplify to avoid a wall of text, so you're advised.
>Birthright
Ryoma, Takumi, Hinoka (if you consider CQ), Saizo, Oboro, Scarlet. Present on the three: Kaze to some extent, Iago (Jafar and the parrot in one package, but it works), Garon.
>Echoes
Berkut, Fernand, Clive (Mathilda serves as a character accesory, though), Catria, Saber, Celica (just enough to warrant a mention), Rudolf, Sonia (w/Genny), Valbar, Jesse, Lukas, Python and Forsyth.
I tried writing a comparison, but 2000char limit.
You can't dis SoV's characters without dissing Conquest in terms of volume and quality. Sure, Echoes has less supports, but has some good stuff in what little there is.
>>
>>383058147
Sure I get what you're saying. I just think people can a bit unfair to Awakening because they assume everyone grinds because its so easy to. If you don't grind, resources are somewhat limited in Awakening, though there is OP stuff. Its like if people judged the gba games based on arena abusing.
>>
M A G I C
A
G
I
C

T H R O N E
H
R
O
N
E
>>
>>383059048
Not that guy, but by no means Awakening no-grind in Lunatic is for casuals, especially in the beginning. Thing is, pairups become a requirement in the beginning, but working the difficulty around that and the multiple factors that can make a unit OP, even without grind, is very hard. ISIS failed, thus needing to make Apotheosis to make something resembling a challenge to whomever grinded even a bit.
>>
>>383059654
I agree Awakening is easily broken, but the way some people talk about it, they're breaking it by grinding and using renown awards, and buying brave weapons and nosferatu from the bonus teams. That's making it even easier than it already is. I think some of the people who break Awakening like that would have no idea how to break it without those methods.
>>
>>383058462
You are missing Sakura's retainers who have some good banter, Rinkah, Zola, Hans, Keaton, all the Nohrian royals who are much more likeable in Birthright storywise.

You are right that some do get more screen time. Aside from Saber though the more screen time they got the more I disliked them, I don't hate any of them except perhaps Celica who might be more retarded then Corrin. I guess I just didn't like them. I didn't like Gray and Tobin, I didn't like Clive, I didn't like Mae. Everyone else I just couldn't being myself to care for one way or another.

Like I said, this all comes down to difference of opinion. But one of those is optional, two of them just show up once, and briefly at that. I just don't get a lot of opportunity to like them even if I was more inclined to. I wish there was more, there isn't, but when you don't care for voice acting their tiny bit of text and characterization doesn't give you much to go with. What it comes down to almost is you like them for their voice, not for them, at least to me that is.

Sorry if that didn't make sense.
>>
>>383060040
Oh shit, I forgot about Rinkah and Zola. Hans is EVIL EVIL EVIL and that's it - Iago shows more cunning. Not mentioning Nohrian royals, because they're better developed in CQ.
Tobin, Gray and Mae are unremarkable, true, the middle being that because of how plain Alm is. I liked the latter, but that doesn't make her a good character. Clive had balls to go against his very blood and comrades, and had moments of concern that put him on a spot as a not-so-clever leader. No wonder he gets outshone by his wife, gameplay and lore-wise. But it gives depth, more so than the soulless Lukas.
>>
>>383059048
But we were talking about how some anon, don't know if it was you, said that Fates was pandering to casuals listing reclassing as one of the options, which is stupid because Conquest reclassing doesn't break the game. I used Awakening's as an example, because that is a system on how it can break the game. Conquest cannot grind to abuse reclass. Conquest characters only have one class to second seal into outside of A+ and S rank seals. There is limited money and access to seals in the first place so they can't skill dip as many times as they please.
I was never implying that no-grind awakening was for casuals, but I was saying that the game does permit a min-max system very easily, where Conquest does not.
>>
>>383060757
It all comes down to personal opinion. Echoes just took out almost all the things I liked in the other games. It kept things that other people liked. The character thing is that outside of the story I can have character growth things outside of supports in the fates series. I like reading their little lines for meals, that some can't cook at all and some are good, I like the unique lines they have when I pick up items from them or sell things to them or some of the gift lines. I don't get the little character details that I really enjoy from Echoes. Without those little details they seem hollow to me.

I will say I liked the little town observations from Alm and Celica. In just wish I got that from the others.
>>
>>383050874
almost all of those things I liked too, so I'm not gonna rag on you for it. Honestly, that's exactly what I want; fans of the original to get the reboot they deserve. On the other hand, the litany of faggots crying about waifu-emblem when the series continues to be enjoyable gameplay-wise is really aggravating.
>>
>>383062428
I'm pretty sure Gaiden was chosen because it's the only one stuck on NES hell and the format doesn't help ANYTHING in the game. I'm sure I can download a ROM of Genealogy or Thracia and enjoy it the same way I enjoyed FE3.
>>
>>383062428
Thanks anon.
But yeah I agree, the fanbase has become pretty terrible.
>>
>>383062428
The fan base is so bad lately. You can't really talk about the games at all. I am very pleasantly surprised by how this thread has turned out.

We might not all agree on the same things but we don't all need to devolve into shit posting constantly.
>>
Do you really have to cheese the last couple maps of conquest lunatic? Want to play it but I think it's kinda lame if I have to cheese to beat them
>>
go back to r3ddit you cocksuckers. If you want to circlejerk over how great every FE is you can do it there. 4chan is the place to shittalk everyone and say how superior your opinion is to everyone else's, not tiptoe behind "m-muh opinions" out of the fear of offending anonymous strangers on a catalonia fishing emporium

Conquest is amazing
Awakening is trash and you're shit for liking it
Echoes is trash and you're shit for liking it, and anyone who praises the writing is legitimately retarded
>>
File: 1470309689965.png (297KB, 764x1058px) Image search: [Google]
1470309689965.png
297KB, 764x1058px
>>383064158
fucking epic my man, law down the law!
>>
>>383064151
Just play lunatic up to Hinokas chapter and quit there, there's nothing of value after that.
>>
>>383064795
Endgame is a little gem imbued with rage inducing bullshit, so it's fine to go all the way.
>>
>>383064151
No, it's only the Endgame that requires cheesing, and that's because it has no saves. The level is difficult (full of staff spam and inevitable end) but manageable, bad part is that having to redo 28 every single time then skip all the cutscenes then feed 100 tonics to your party is a fucking chore. You can also turn down the game to casual and battle save right before hand

also, get a unit with shuriken breaker for Ryoma's chapter unless you plan on solo'ing Ryoma with corrin
>>
File: 1497765341589.png (43KB, 203x207px) Image search: [Google]
1497765341589.png
43KB, 203x207px
>>383064158
What if I say fuck all of your opinions, especially the ones you have on how 4chan should work?
>>
>>383064151
No. The only chapter that requires cheese is endgame Lunatic since it's a poorly design mess.
>>
File: elise hug.webm (3MB, 889x500px) Image search: [Google]
elise hug.webm
3MB, 889x500px
>>383032749
>someone actually has taste this bad

Sakura is the worst loli in all of FE history.
Elise is tied for the best.
>>
>>383064795
>>383065140
>>383065191
>>383065281
Thanks for the info. Endgame sounds like a pain in the ass but I'll probably do the run anyways. Are child units really important? I don't really care about getting all the kids and minmaxing parents but I don't want to shoot myself in the foot either
>>
>>383064158
Shoo
we have asinine shitflinging every day, one civil discussion is fine
>>
File: 1477722775444.jpg (42KB, 720x720px) Image search: [Google]
1477722775444.jpg
42KB, 720x720px
>tfw I don't think it's mathematically possible for me to beat Conquest Endgame Hard on my file
>>
>>383066552
Did you iron man? You should know better than to iron man Conquest. That game is designed around not losing anybody.
>>
>>383066552
people have beaten Conquest lunatic with 0% growths

you have no excuse
>>
File: 1461952961189.jpg.jpe.jpg (206KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
1461952961189.jpg.jpe.jpg
206KB, 1024x768px
How good are the gba games, worth playing?
>>
File: 1488057570810.png (83KB, 960x640px) Image search: [Google]
1488057570810.png
83KB, 960x640px
>>383067042
Yes. All three of them are.
>>
>>383067042
FE7 is one of the best in the series

FE8 is okay

FE6 is trash
>>
>>383066929
>restarting on character death
Why not just play casual mode then. It's the same thing. If you restart of death then the difficulty is replaced with his much time you want to spend.
>>
>>383032675
Because the plot is the MC choosing to follow the bad guy and slaughter so many soldiers that only want to defend their land just to get the chance to expose the bad guy as a monster and kill him off
>>
>>383067042
FE7 is only good for introducing new people to the series, it's trash otherwise. FE6 and 8 are alright.
>>
>>383067631
brb restarting my lunatic run.
Now, I did know what casual was, but I finished CQ Lunatic just for bragging rights, no grind and shit. I felt irritated by that shameful "Casual" shit there, so I restarted every time.

Ok, now's for real. Outlook does NOT look good at all - I remember losing 2 or 3 units once. Key units.
>>
>>383067931
that is the shittiest opinion in this thread
>>
>>383065281
I wouldn't go so far as to say it's poorly designed, there are people who have beaten it legitimately with no cheesing. When someone describes a difficulty as "lunatic" I think conquest endgame hits it right on the mark. Conquest lunatic was pretty great on the whole, in my opinion.
>>
>>383068160
Good post.
>>
>>383066552
Xander and Corrin pulled it off for me.
>>
>>383066191
Ophelia's chapter gives a very good tome that reverses weapon triangle, and shes an okay mage as well
Kana is only ever worth it if you fucked mozu and pass aptitude to her
>>
>Everyone saying the writing and story is mentally retarded
Haven't played it, but I refuse to believe this. This is /v/ after all, contrarian autists with shit taste.
>>
>>383034369
>Awakeningfags hate it with a "me too!" mindset.

No they hate it because Fates took away a lot of the bullshit they say made Awakening "fun."
>>
>>383068636
Conquest's story is pretty bad. The only way to defend it is by saying they tried to do something new and unique but couldn't execute it correctly. Or that it was so stunningly bad that at least its memorable.
>>
>>383038373
You don't need all three versions. Each version is a different take on the same premise.
>>
>>383067260
>>383067337
>>383067931
Alright, I got all 3 loaded on my 3ds, guess i'll give em a go. thanks lads
>>
>>383066191
nah, child units all suck ass and are easily ignorable. That being said, their paralogue maps are free XP and can give you some good items, so if you're supporting like you should there's no reason not to play them. Do them ASAP though, some paralogues are fucking nightmares if you do them too late because enemies scale with you
>>
>>383068636
It really is fucking terrible.
>>
>>383042332
By that logic every Fire Emblem game is easy.
>>
>>383068636
It is bad.
Corrin waits until the Final. Fucking. Chapter. to say something (s)he should've said first thing. The royal siblings have plenty of opportunities to say what they're planning with a "HEY, RETARDS, GET A FUCKING CLUE, WE'RE SPARING EVERYONE!" as a good fucking argument.
Both armies even have dinner together. It's just forcing conquest just because, and drama for the sake of it. Could've gone WAY better.
>>
>>383069014
>child units suck
>ophelia exists

You are so incredibly wrong it hurts. Her paralogue is great for amazing loot and she herself can carry the game, she was crazy good on my lunatic CQ run.
>>
>>383043672
What the fuck are you saying? That a strategy game shouldn't be challenging?
>>
File: 1487799783041.png (383KB, 443x340px) Image search: [Google]
1487799783041.png
383KB, 443x340px
Anyone notice the plot is literally code geass with BR being Lelouch and Conquest Suzaku?
>>
>>383046643
Maybe Birthright has better gameplay mechanics to justify being above Echoes in his opinion. Did you ever think of that?

>>383047450

This is a very good post.
>>
File: 1487192127073.jpg (3MB, 1926x1500px) Image search: [Google]
1487192127073.jpg
3MB, 1926x1500px
>>383034263
If I wanted to play a pure turn-based tactical game bereft of all meaning, I'd be off playing Go, Chess, Shogi, or Stratego. I play FE games because I generally enjoy the characters/setting/music/visuals/etc that flavor its tactical gameplay. This is where Fates fails and is such a disappointment. With its story a list of contrivances, its characters unlikeable and horribly written, and its localization an insult, the three campaigns are easily some of the series' worst.
>>
>>383046809
Kek. Birthright was better than Awakening.

Awakening has a shit plot and gameplay. It chose quantity over quality.
>>
>>383069245
If people were whining about it being too hard, then easy mode exists, and this has the easiest easy mode there is. You have poor reading comprehension.
>>
>>383054187
None of that shit makes it any less generic.

>>383045772
What does Awakening even have that would put it above Revelation?
>>
File: 1438971135985.png (116KB, 816x587px) Image search: [Google]
1438971135985.png
116KB, 816x587px
>>383069917
https://youtu.be/wPnAwO5Fg1w?t=9
>>
>>383050874
>Nostalgiafag

Most people don't have nostalgia for Gaiden.
>>
>>383055164
>fantastic world building

I'd say it had decent world building.
>>
>>383069421
an okay mage in a game where magic is underpowered. The biggest mark against her is that getting her requires stapling Odin to some poor woman's back for a bunch of chapters
>>
>>383041131
>you realize that it costs extra money and resources to make those separate routes, right?

>Meanwhile, in Tactics Ogre
>>
>>383070087
Birthright's is even worse and the gameplay is just as bland. The final boss can be defeated by idling.
>>
>>383070224
Obviously. Doing otherwise implies not being faithful to the remake, that's why it's one. A problem would've been not doing anything to it, not adding Berkut or Fernand, making Mila even less relevant than she was in Gaiden, and Rudolf just a tool with a mediocre twist, and making the game absolutely boring.
A souped up generic story works when you're remaking shit. Echoes was a showcase of things to come, and I like it.
>>
>>383032675
Go away NoA
Go away NoA
>>
>>383069983
Didn't we already discuss why he didn't like it in a civil conversation where he outlined what he liked and didn't like about it?
>>
>>383070543
>Not playing the English translation patch 6 years ago
For some, that is old enough to be nostalgic over.
>>
>>383070543
Not saying I am one, just that's likely what I am considered.
>>
>>383070797
not even him but Awakening's gameplay is literally the worst in the series. The maps weren't even the biggest problem. The biggest problem was how piss-easy it was. Unit balance was a complete joke along with the most OP version of pair-up to date. Dark magic was so absurdly OP it's mindboggling how it got past developement. Nosferatu literally solos maps the moment you get it.
>>
>>383070058
>its characters unlikeable and horribly written
The supports of plenty of characters not only makes them likeable, but some of them actually manage to shout that they're well written, and in a bad story.
You're ready to provide examples of a significantly better written cast in the same series, correct? Not story, no one will argue against that.
>>
>Tfw I think Niles is a decent character
>>
>>383070794
Tactics ogre somehow managed to have shittier gameplay than Birthright and Conquest with the crafting and the fact there is no real challenge to the gameplay at all on top of horrifyingly poor class balance. It had a really good story and world to back it up at least but the gameplay was shit. The customization was garbage with level restrictions and one of the most tedious crafting systems to date so even if you did want to optimize your units you are spending 3 minutes per item in the late game sitting through 13+ menus or more to make something with a 60% success rate.

Barring that the final boss taking your entire fucking team is total trash basically taking everything you worked for and instead of making a fight geared around them making their own good unique enemies and strategy they are just like "fuck you we are going to take your team you spent 40+ hours making and we are using that as part of the final boss fight". It was fucking a lazy shitty excuse. As someone who likes to build up my army customize my units and do all of that this game was just a slap in the face. All I really needed to do was use 3 archers the whole game and every single fight was trivial, and even though I finally built up a bunch of melee units and shit none if it even mattered, they only existed to be used against me because those classes never got the chance to fucking do anything.

tl;dr Tactics ogre did have really nice routes, but fucking trash gameplay.

That said im not defending Birthright or Conquest, they really should have been separate games or it should have been one 60 dollar easily available game with all 3 routes instead of scalp central, though revelations isnt fucking worth any kind of money.
>>
>>383071174
Sure I guess, but FEA being a bland, autobattle piece of crap doesn't make BR any better. It's awakening repeated over again, by then they should have learned.
>>
>>383071296
I'm speaking in generalities, but there were some I could tolerate and a few I liked. Though, it really doesn't help when the main protagonist is the worst character (next to Azura) in the game.
>>
>>383071936
Honestly if you removed Azura and Corrin Birthright and Conquest would have been significantly better games.
>>
>>383071841
>Sure I guess, but FEA being a bland, autobattle piece of crap doesn't make BR any better
But it does when the original post is arguing whether BR or Awakening was better.

BR is pretty standard for FE, hovering on the low side of mediocre. It loses a lot of points for being way too easy, though most of that is due to Ryoma. It's significantly better than Awakening and did show that they learned a lot: dark magic got nerfed, pair-up got reworked, maps had more variety, child units were no longer OP pieces of shit that required truckloads of grinding, reclassing and skill system got better, etc. Saying BR (more Fates as a whole) didn't improve at all from Awakening is just not true.

BR also had Camilla's map, which was actually a memorable and excellent map
>>
>>383032675
Only bitter nostalgiafags and utter homosexuals dislike current FE.
>>
>>383072475
It lost a lot from it's intended appeal though, namely the characters. The maps were largely fairly bland though. I suppose I can agree that it's a slight bit better than Awakening's gameplay, but it's still a bad one. The story lost what little charm FEA's had (particularly from the few good moments it had, such as Basilio's return), and the characters were a step down even from the stereotypes in FEA. The gameplay was better but not by much, certainly not enough to warrant it being "significantly" better. Both it and FEA are fairly skippable.
>>
I bet storyfags play Yu-Gi-Oh! games for the plot.
>>
>>383071675
I don't know where that rant came from or why you felt the urge to post it, but I'm glad you can agree that Fates' piecemeal approach to three separate campaigns is bullshit.
>>
>>383073129
>such as Basilio's return

Basilio's return was fucking retarded.
>>
File: Quality writing.jpg (155KB, 471x841px) Image search: [Google]
Quality writing.jpg
155KB, 471x841px
>>383032675
>>
>>383032675
Birthright was the true garbage in Fates. The first few maps were enough for me to out down Fates because I knew then and there nothing was going to match my satisfaction when I finally got to kill Takumi for good at the end of Conquest.
>>
>>383073237
Because people act like Tactics Ogre didnt sacrifice anything for having routes. I also just felt very burned by that game because it had so much potential for me.
>>
>>383073314
It was a decent part of an otherwise bland story. It showed subversion of audience expectations and didn't follow in the game's normally cliche style as the character who had been characterized as a prideful, combative individual submits to playing possum to survive. It's not a literary masterpiece but it's certainly one of the higher points in the game.
>>
>>383073223
>implying all YGO games have bad plot
Play some
Or at least not the butchered ones.
>>
>>383073672
As a strategy game I find Yu-Gi-Oh! more fun than Pokemon. I can't believe I dropped this series for so long.
>>
FE Fans have always been fucking terrible, you guys just weren't aware of it until the 3DS era. GBAfags, Telliusfags, and SNESfags always fucking hated each other and were at each others' throats constantly. It's just hip to hate on the 3DS games and pretend they did nothing good now. If you liked them at all, you're a newfag who didn't play the old ones, and if you prefer the old ones, you're a grandpa who can't adapt. Every game is flawed, they have pluses and minuses.

>FE4's difficulty is stupidly easy thanks to Holy Blood and Holy Weapons, the maps are far too large even if they are that way by design. Great story though
>FE5 has brilliant map design and a good story, probably the closest to the most consistent FE game in both regards, but still has some wonky mechanics
>FE6 has some legitimate difficulty but the game is fucking broken (what is resistance) and Roy, while a good character, is an awful unit who holds your team back
>FE7 is a good introduction game but easy until HHM and also holds off the truly compelling parts of Nergal's story until HHM
>FE8 is stupidly easy and makes you either choose between good maps and a good Lyon (Ephraim) or a much more interesting story with development for side characters like Joshua and Cormag but a retarded Lord and shit difficulty (Eirika)
>FE9 I haven't played it in a while but I remember the difficulty being up and down, good maps and good story though
>FE10 was pants on head retarded at times and jumped focus around too much

You could go on and on. To treat the 3DS games as beyond saving is retarded, especially when you just blame it on Waifus (have existed for years, Lyn's rabid fanbase that STILL exists proves this) or MUs (Corrin is just a Lord that you design, he's bad because his pre-determined set character is bad).

For my money Conquest has some of the best maps in the series easily, up there with Thracia. It's probably my favorite FE gameplay-wise but I wouldn't call it the best if that makes sense.
>>
>>383073796
It's certainly a lot faster (depending on format) and more satisfying. Post favorite card
>>
>>383073501
http://www.moddb.com/mods/one-vision1
>>
>>383074036
This looks promising, im gonna check this shit out, thanks anon!
>>
Give me a good reason to play FE6 again.
>>
>>383073868
>Roy, while a good character

I agree with your criticisms overall though. Why does nobody ever mention book 2? I thought that was the most consistently solid game in the series as far as everything goes, the only problem is horrible SNES clunk
>>
>>383073451
Looking at some relationships between siblings, specially in feudal cultures, this isn't really that outrageous.
>>
File: 1496721226371.gif (3MB, 660x520px) Image search: [Google]
1496721226371.gif
3MB, 660x520px
I don't get the conquest hype. Yeah it has some good maps but combat in the late game is just turtling with the three good defensive units and using the boring fucking pairup mechanic. Not to mention that the further the game goes the map quality begins to nosedive as well.
>>
File: 1479815022631.jpg (92KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
1479815022631.jpg
92KB, 800x800px
>>383073868
Pretty spot on, but what are your opinions of SD/Mystery and Gaiden.
>>
>>383073868
Its true. Back in the day, the grandpas were FE4-5 people, and GBA starters were dismissed as kids. Now its changed. Its weird that I'm now considered a grandpa because I started with FE7; I remember the old days on gamefaqs and serenes.
>>
>>383074924
Probably because it's too clunky compared to the other SNES games, and its remake, while translated, isn't liked because it added a shitty MU that inserts itself into all of the old cutscenes.
>>
File: 1472696229007.png (875KB, 465x695px) Image search: [Google]
1472696229007.png
875KB, 465x695px
>>383073882
For me there's too many cards to choose from for me to have a favorite, at least for right now. The cards I do like are Dark Magician, Blue-Eyes White Dragon, Dark Necrofear, Slifer the Sky Dragon, Elemental Hero Sparkman, Elemental Hero Neos, Elemental Hero Rainbow Neos, and plenty of others.
>>
>>383073882
>a lot faster
Stop right there, criminal scum.wav
>>
>>383032675
Treehouse apologists will be removed
>>
>>383076052
They gave us boob jiggle. Surely that counts for something?
>>
File: 1484791716527.png (5KB, 162x229px) Image search: [Google]
1484791716527.png
5KB, 162x229px
>Some said that SoV was better
>played it and hated it
Why did I let /v/ talk me into playing that shit
>>
>>383076027
>slifer the executive producer
I love the dual mouths it has, probably one of the best YGO dragons.
>>383076038
shh
>>
>>383076426
Because you assumed you had the same taste in video games as some random anon online?
>>
>>383076426
I hope you at least pirated it.
>>
>>383076426
>assuming just because someone else liked it you would too
At least look up some gameplay beforehand m8, it's not that hard. I loved SoV but it's pretty niche as far as FE goes.
>>
>>383073868
Pretty much this aside from the Roy being a good character part. I started with FE7 but seeing people complain about Fates' cast while praising FE7's is weird to me. After going back and playoing it after Fates I realized it's cast isn't all that great.
>>
>>383070728
People who think odin is a bad mage are retarded. He basically solo'd half the lunatic maps in the game thanks to him being the best drain-tank in the game not named corrin.
>>
>>383032675
Because it's boring, and most of the characters are shit. Especially Corrin. He's literally a doormat, Camilla tries to kill him 3 times, and he let's it slide every time.
>>
>>383078860
Odin fucking sucks
Thread posts: 290
Thread images: 29

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.