[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Modern Sonic’s affair is precisely what you’d expect

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 13

>Modern Sonic’s affair is precisely what you’d expect; a cookie-cutter modern Sonic-style course more akin to the ‘mach speed’ sections in the 2006 remake we daren’t mention by name, although thankfully hitting a wall doesn’t result in a ridiculous and instant death. Run as fast as you can collecting rings if you want, jump every so often and then after a moment stop dead still and kill a group of characterless robotic minions. This kind of gameplay - although perhaps not entirely to everyone's taste - can work, and we’ve seen it do so in games like Sonic Colours, but the entire level felt overly short and had nothing in terms of secrets or hidden paths that we could find, likely because the game kept encouraging us to speed through without taking the time to absorb anything of any detail.
>The Avatar’s stage, on the other hand, was even worse. Speed is put on the back burner - which is a good idea in theory - but there’s no speed at all beyond a handful of CPU-controlled manoeuvres that have plagued Sonic games for well over a decade now. Instead you have to use your weapon - the demo we played offered a choice of a flamethrower or an electric-like whip - to swat away foes like wet tissue paper, and each activation of said weapon slows you down, meaning the core mechanic of the Avatars has nothing to do with speed. It feels worryingly similar to Shadow the Hedgehog on the GameCube, which isn't something to be too thrilled about in this writer's opinion.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2017/07/first_impressions_running_scared_from_sonic_forces
>>
>The Classic Sonic stage was a boss fight, starting off as very typical and straighforward, and then immediately getting carried away by having Robotnik (no, we're not calling him Eggman) enter a giant mech, which he naturally uses to throw rocks from a great distance. You know, rather than just stamping on the blue blur’s face repeatedly which a giant mech usually lends itself rather well to. For the most part gameplay for this level was fine, although the controls and weight of Sonic felt slightly off. No doubt this is either just your scribe playing too much Sonic the Hedgehog 2 recently or a small error that can easily be resolved before release. On the whole though the boss was relatively boring to fight.
>Plenty are excited for Sonic Forces, thinking that perhaps Sonic Team has learnt - from approving Sonic Mania and just generally being a group of humans who enjoy video games - that substance is far more important than style. Unfortunately the Sonic Forces demo falls down flat in almost every regard. On the Switch it runs like an asthmatic slug through a salt mine (by Sonic standards, of course), and the gameplay is bland and utterly predictable. Developers have proven that Sonic in 3D can work with the likes of Sonic Colours, Sonic Generations, and even the Sonic Adventure series, providing of course you ignore all the levels that aren’t Sonic or Shadow orientated.
>>
sega should have killed sonic and picked someone else to lead their brand
>>
>weapons
What
>>
>>382959559
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJZfptketUc
>>
So will Sonic Forces be good?
>>
Sonic Forces confirmed to have the same charm as Dragonball Xenoverse; you'll only care as long as you're willing to role play.
>>
>>382959917
Time to Zap to Exxxtreme!
>>
File: 1465864574059.jpg (9KB, 165x148px) Image search: [Google]
1465864574059.jpg
9KB, 165x148px
>>382959495
>>382959495
>>382959495
THIS
Know when to stop beating the horse. NOBODY should want what Sonic has turned into in recent years being the figurehead of their company.
>>
File: eggmanbackthen.jpg (86KB, 750x582px) Image search: [Google]
eggmanbackthen.jpg
86KB, 750x582px
>>382959443
>Robotnik (no, we're not calling him Eggman)
They sound like nostalgia fags who refused to even give it a chance and went in wanting to hate it.
>>
File: 1495341997016.jpg (31KB, 352x450px) Image search: [Google]
1495341997016.jpg
31KB, 352x450px
On a brighter note:
http://nintendoeverything.com/sega-will-be-looking-at-the-reception-of-sonic-mania-to-determine-the-direction-of-the-series/

>>382959443
>immediately getting carried away by having Robotnik (no, we're not calling him Eggman)
>>
>>382962096
Adding Izuka's words.
> “[laughs] In the past two decades Sonic games have been trying to target a broader audience from kids to adults. And Forces has that same idea, so that means a wider range of characters that we know children like. Even if other fans may not be quite as keen.

> But for Mania it’s kind of like a new approach. To target specifically 2D fans. So we don’t know whether it’ll be accepted positively in the market. We’ll find out after the game’s released, and we can figure out the direction of future titles after seeing the reaction.”
>>
File: sonicmania00_0.png (535KB, 848x480px) Image search: [Google]
sonicmania00_0.png
535KB, 848x480px
>>382959495
>>382961795
don't give up yet bros
>>
>>382961795

I was thinking more like in the early 00s. Sonic should have never moved to 3d.
>>
>>382962584
It'll probably be good, but it has next to no chance of turning Sonic around as a whole.
>>
>>382962095
Is that why they praise other recent Sonic games at the end?
>>
>>382962838
I didn't read the entire thing.
>>
>>382962725
desu 3D Sonic could've been a good thing if Sonic Team knew what they were doing when they made the switch over to it
They still don't
>>
>>382962725
kys nigger. Early 3D Sonic games were good, new ones are bad.
>>
File: fleetway.png (446KB, 410x449px) Image search: [Google]
fleetway.png
446KB, 410x449px
>>382962725
>>382962961
Sonic Adventure 1's style worked well. It just needs more polish.
>Sonic has weight and momentum
>When he rolls down a slope he gains speed, when he goes up a slope, he loses speed
>He can spindash up a slope and jump off it to gain massive height, just like in the classic games
>The spindash can be used creatively to cross distances
>Level design didn't just focus on speed, but exploration as well, unlike SA2's hallways.
>>
>>382962816
>>382962096
>>
sonic team is fucking shit and has been fucking shit for years now
when romhackers have outdone them several times you know theyre screwed
>>
>>382963319
U smart
>>
>>382959372
We already knew sonic forces was going to be trash. Sonic team died in 2010. Just get sonic mania like everyone else is
>>
File: Sonic Then And Now.jpg (705KB, 1442x940px) Image search: [Google]
Sonic Then And Now.jpg
705KB, 1442x940px
>>382962191
>In the past two decades Sonic games have been trying to target a broader audience from kids to adults.
The problem is that they go back and forth to ridiculous extremes between games, instead of having each game being universally appealing. Shadow and 06 tried way too hard to be "adult" and Colors and Lost World tried way too hard to be "kiddie". Both approaches were just as embarrassing.

>But for Mania it’s kind of like a new approach. To target specifically 2D fans.
If there's any statement that shows Iizuka doesn't get it, it's this. He does not even refer to it as targeting fans of the classics, but "2D fans". He sees classic Sonic as just "2D" and "pixels". He doesn't understand the appeal or essence the games had in the 90s, he cannot separate classic Sonic from being solely a 2D video gamey pixel thing. This shows he doesn't understand the gameplay either, as he just refers to it as "2D" first, and not "physics and momentum based". Given classic Sonic's inclusion in Forces and this statement, it would be safe to say he does not see any difference between Forces classic and Mania, in terms of gameplay, style, or anything. He is likely unable to understand why Sonic 4 was received so poorly and Mania is already doing so well.
>>
None of this shit is surprising, anyone with half a brain knew forces was going to be mediocre at best garbage
>>
>>382963319

Sonic Adventure 2 had its share of levels that rewarded exploration as well. Final Rush and Sky Rail come to mind with their endless shortcut potential.
>>
>>382963319
holy shit why was Fleetway Sonic such a huge ass
>>
>>382963719
Nah, you could see the ball less cucks saying "a-anyone hyped for both! haha forces is going to be epic sonic colors was cool right guys?! all those blocks were fucking epic!!" for months now. Forces is a fucking tire fire
>>
File: 1497584251409.jpg (201KB, 1200x1195px) Image search: [Google]
1497584251409.jpg
201KB, 1200x1195px
>>382964445
>cucks
>>
Said it before, I'll say it again.

Retire him for a decade. Come back fresh.

And without Iizuka.
>>
>>382964939
>words trigger me i need a safe space

go back to tumblr kid
>>
File: IMG_3322.jpg (73KB, 654x663px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3322.jpg
73KB, 654x663px
>>382961795
>kill off an incredibly popular gaming IP that still manages to sell well all these years later because a few games sucked

I love it when people bring up these retarded ideas of what a company should do because of how they feel personally.
>>
>>382964939
>Babies first week on 4chan
>>
File: 5235235353.jpg (6KB, 344x146px) Image search: [Google]
5235235353.jpg
6KB, 344x146px
>>382965087
Only if you go back as well.
>>
>>382964981
Cool idea, Boco.

Now financially justify that move given the current state Sega's in.
>>
>>382965520
>tumblr vs a fellow board on 4chan

hm really thikning.....
>>
>>382965741

I dunno, maybe use one of their other two dozen or so IPs that have been rotting in obscurity for decades.
>>
>>382966015
Yeah man. Clockwork knight and burning rangers will just take the world by storm. Never mind the fact that they made the most new IPs of last gen and most did either ok (bayonetta) or bombed terribly (binary domain). Its always segas fault! The market is always right!
>>
>>382959372
Sonic the Hedhehog in terms of 3D games should be infinite Runner style games akin to tablet, the gameplay of the 2D series literally doesn't work in 3D otherwise

Sonic stopped being good post 16bit era, and they should stop making all 3D sonic games completely in favour of 2D where the series makes sense

debate me
>>
>>382966137

Milking Sonic to death clearly isn't working either.
>>
>>382959443
>no, we're not calling him Eggman

Great, another reviewer stuck in his childhood. Opinion discarded.
>>
>>382966393
Sonic games are guarantteed a few million sales. Sonic heroes and mega collection appeared on segas financial reports for years after release. Unleashed sold 5 million+. Colors and generations were cheap as fuck to make and sold 2+ million. Clearly thats better than binary domain topping the charts with...20k sales on first week lol!
>>
Shitting on 3D Sonic games is such a fucking meme.
I've played pretty much every non-spinoff Sonic game, and only three of them did I genuinely not enjoy CD is one of them

>>382966393
Yeah, because people totally didn't buy the last couple games that weren't locked to the Wii U.
>>
>>382963652
""""""""""2010""""""""""
>>
>>382967416
? Sonic Unleashed was the last real Sonic game. It was meant to be the final one as well. It came out in 2008, and Baby Autism Sonic started in 2010 with Colors.
>>
>>382966510
Didn't Boom bomb?
>>
File: 1413425906062.png (183KB, 477x342px) Image search: [Google]
1413425906062.png
183KB, 477x342px
>>382968225
>It was meant to be the final one as well
Oh, so that's why they spent a shit ton of time and money building a brand new engine instead of just recycling assets from 06.
>>
>>382968225
>It was meant to be the final one as well.
Source? I doubt they'd kill off one of their big money makers.
>>
>>382968483
It was an apology for 06. The hedgehog engine development started in 2005 with the 360 starting the next generation. Sega planned to license it out as a graphics engine like unreal but that never panned out, a shame really since its so beautiful.
>>
>>382968360

Spectacularly.
>>
>>382968360
Yeah for obvious reasons. It still broke 500k+ though and the 3DS game got a sequel even. 500k, sure as hell did better than games like Yakuza or the Nights 2012 port.
>>
I feel genuinely sorry for people who are fans of the "modern sonic" concept. Not just because it's been simply "above average" at its highest points, but because they are relying on a team who doesn't understand anything about their fanbase or even the IP itself. The only reliable customers are the inane furries who buy Sonic because it's Sonic rather than for an actual game and probably won't even play it to completion. I truly hope Mania does well and makes a difference, but it probably won't beyond getting a sequel. Maybe we can just get Mania sequels forever while Sonic Team pisses in their own mouth while occasionally shitting out a golden turd.

It'd be sad if it wasn't just video games.
>>
>>382968620
>planned to license it out as a graphics engine like unreal

As shitty as that game is, sometimes it looks preddy guud considering
>>
>>382968725
Yet the tv show was well received and got renewed for second season (third rumored) so you can't even argue Boom was a total failure.
>>
>>382969778
Because believe it or not, children like watching free (to them) retard humor above playing a $50broken game with retard humor.
>>
>>382969778

Yeah, apparently the comic was enjoyed too. Or not, since it didn't last a year.

Also, the studio that makes Boom is starting work on the Sly Cooper cartoon, so unless they can multitask it might be dead.
>>
File: IMG_3363.jpg (117KB, 866x972px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3363.jpg
117KB, 866x972px
>>382969967
b8

Boom is one of the funniest shows on CN in years.
>>
>>382970292
>CN

You mean Boomerang.
>>
>>382970292
Yeah, I don't really watch cartoons that I don't have nostalgia for because I'm an adult and don't find what passes for humor these days enjoyable, but I've seen clips on YouTube, and watched the entirety of the Metal Sonic episode and have to say that you have brain cancer of some sort.

>on CN in years
OOOOOH I get it, because it's fucking trash now
>>
>>382966453
Is that why they praise other recent Sonic games at the end?
>>
>>382970674
Just realized how fucking pretentious the "I'm an adult" bit sounded and I apologize for being an edgelord
>>
>>382970674
>because I'm an adult

Where do you think we are?
>>
>>382959495
Yes, maybe some sort of Billie guy.
And he is a hatcher.
And there's a giant egg.
Hmmmmmm.

SEGA is just beyond redemption, it's basically the Japanese EA, the directors are a bunch of pachinko old fucks from Sammy.
>>
>>382971569

Hey, Sega may have slipped over the years, but they're nowhere NEAR as bad as EA.

If they were, they would have slowly killed Atlus and all its IPs, forcing them to make changes and concessions, and then blaming the devs when the game flops.
>>
Why is Sonic the only franchise that I know of that has survived any major franchise killing moment, not once but twice!
>>
>>382972103
but thrice!
>>
>>382971846
Just wait enough.
I played a game by studio that got bought by sega. They stopped updates, went full force on making more profit only, moved most of the staff to mobile crap, and eventually just fired everyone and killed the studio in a short 5 years.
>>
>>382972601
And what studio is that?
>>
>>382973038
Three Rings Design "OOO".
The old owner bought back the IP after they killed his company, and keeps the game up, but all the devs are gone.
>>
>>382972103
Because even the flops sell a lot. Even 06 sold enough to be a Greatest Hits game. Boom is the only one that actually flopped in sales and it was 1) a third-party spinoff, and 2) a Wii U exclusive so that's the excuse they used for poor sales.

There are plenty of major franchises that pump out shitty game after shitty game but survive because they still sell well.
Thread posts: 71
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.