[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can we have an MMO discussion that doesn't devolve into

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 4

File: mmorpg.png (442KB, 4550x1355px) Image search: [Google]
mmorpg.png
442KB, 4550x1355px
Can we have an MMO discussion that doesn't devolve into WoW/FF14/GW 2? Its bad enough you can't talk about mmo in /vg/ anymore and I don't want to visit reddit.
>>
The PSO/Monster hunter model works best and I wish more western games used it
>>
MMOs stop being good a long time ago. The last 10/10 MMOs that I can remember are Guild Wars, Star Wars Galaxies (on launch), vanilla WoW, and Dark Age of Camelot
>>
>>382850906
What model?
>>
>>382850772
What would you like to talk about. and if you are talking about /mmog/ because of that bot it became /ammo/
>>
WHY IS THERE NO DEVELOPER TRYING TO RECREATE GW1 COMBAT/PVP?
>>
>>382855332
amm get anal if you try to talk about any other mmo that isnt anime.
>>
PSO2 was really fun while that lasted.
Started BDO, it's alright so far.
>>
>>382850772
I've sunken hundreds if not thousands of hours into many different MMO stretching as far back as Ultima online. The entire genre is trash.
>>
>>382858181
It's easier to make cliche holy trinity grindfests with cash shops. The people who make these games have budgets in mind, no passion.
>>
>>382858470
>The entire genre is trash.
Pretty much this but they're the kind of trash I like.
>>
>>382858696
I've played mmo's that aren't really good games and still had tons fun, the main thing is the trash nowadays isn't even a worthwhile experience
>>
Everything before WoW was awesome. WoW was okay, but invented the railroad/theme park cancer copied by every game since. Instead of building a world with locations and players who interact, they have you travel from quest marker to quest marker like you're on a theme park ride. You see a world around you but you're actually stuck to a train track of quest markers, minimaps and dungeon queues. Instead of exploring a world and making your own adventure, you have to do all the quests or else you get no gear and experience. And the people around you are all doing the exact same quests as you (because why else would they be there?), making it less like a real world, and more like a single player game where you can see other players' characters. MMOs should realize they can't win at giving a good single player experience and should stick to the genre's strengths.

The best part of early MMOs like EQ was that you were forced to interact with other players. Not only in groups, but in things like begging for buffs, bind, teleport, twinking gear, etc. Most of the newbie areas were actually frequented by high-level players, unlike the theme park games where you never visit the newbie zone again. You also couldn't randomly teleport your character for a dungeon queue. It was hard but things like that made it feel real. Travel was a serious undertaking. Without an auction house, you had to haggle and talk to people. And since they were able to hand out imbalanced gear or buffs, high level players were like gods when interacting with noobs. You could wander off in any direction and find interesting stuff going on like people killing town guards or dueling each other... Or you could get lost and lose all your gear and have to beg for assistance and directions. AO, DAoC, and CoH still had some of the open-world model and had their own interesting innovations.

Are there any non-WoW-style MMOs now? Pantheons: Rise of the Fallen could be good. Are ESO or BDO worth the time & $?
>>
The problem with MMOs is the same problem with phone games.

They're all designed by incompetent game designers who think waiting mechanics is good game design despite them being unfun garbage.

The daily quest and any systems designed like it has been a blight on the genre for a long while now.
>>
mmos haven't been fun in over a decade, there's nothing to discuss except maybe lamenting the death of them.
>>
File: tower of fun.png (2MB, 1128x645px) Image search: [Google]
tower of fun.png
2MB, 1128x645px
>>382859467
Another problem is money.

Too much time and money needs to go into MMOs.

But I feel like if a group of indie developers, like the fuckers who keep making private servers, just created an open door project thats essentially in infinite alpha, like how toadyone develops dwarf fortress, we'd see something awesome, if a bit dated, show up.
>>
File: IMG_5505.jpg (70KB, 1063x799px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5505.jpg
70KB, 1063x799px
This is now a stealth XIV thread

So who's more fun, SAM or RDM? SAM has those big dick direct crits but RDM has CAST CAST CAST CAST and is the most stylish job of all time
>>
>>382859303
Eso and bdo, no. Pantheon, maybe. For pvp, darkfall rise of agon until darkfall new dawn releases is a deal sandbox.
>>
>>382859707
Im actually early in the process of trying to make something like this. The earliest it even might be playable will be in a long time
>>
MMORPG is a dead genre. both game design wise and player wise. nobody wants to play them anymore when u can just play a moba and get the same enjoyment out of 30-60 min matches rather than spending weeks/months grinding for shit so u can pvp people
>>
File: 1421725771956.jpg (85KB, 425x640px) Image search: [Google]
1421725771956.jpg
85KB, 425x640px
There's a free trial up to level 35. Come join us, Gaijin-san.
>>
>>382859303
>MMOs should realize they can't win at giving a good single player experience and should stick to the genre's strengths.
The main reason this keeps happening is a dieing community/population. If your game force players to group up for levels, quest, raids, ect. often then once the population starts to dwindle, they'll have no reason to play the game. This forces dev's to start creating more single player contend to give players something to do. I remember playing a few shitty mmo's where you had to be in a party just to level and not just any party either but a full party. Wasn't even an end game thing either. While it was ok at first, the game's community started dieing more and more, to the point where I had no reason to login anymore since I was spending hours within days trying to find a good party that'll last.

Another problem I feel is that not a lot people play mmo's anymore, atleast not kids and teens since all they do is watch people play games or play minecraft.
>>
Anyone still playing Runescape?
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.