[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

is it worth going back and playing old games you never played?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 5

is it worth going back and playing old games you never played?

are they really that great, or is it muh nostalgia
>>
Imagine asking this on /lit/ or /tv/
"gamers" are cancer
>>
>>382824596
Yep. I hate replaying games, so if I have any kind of old game Ive never played Ill play it. When I was younger, Id buy a lot of $1 games from the bargain bin and have a good time. If youve never played FF6 or FF7 etc you should once in your life. Granted, I played a lot of those classics maybe 5 yrs after they came out and thought that I was freaky for doing so, but honestly with how shitty some new releases are I wouldnt blame you for doing so, even for 10 or 15 yr old games. I love games that had text only before voice acting, they have so many lines and the worlds and lore were so amazing, even if it was only in 2d.
>>
>>382824596
A good game is a good game. I could say the same about books, music and movies. If it's good, it's good and I don't care if it's something from the 80s or something from 2 days ago.
>>
>>382825039
movies and books are far more timeless than video games. most old games aren't worth playing if you've played the newer ones
stuff like the OP and Chrono Trigger are still worth it though
>>
I've done nearly only that for the past 7 or so years, OP.
I got into PC games at that time and was fed up with mainstream games so I found refuge in timeless classics. I'm so much more cultivated about vidya now, I absolutely don't regret playing those ancient games.
>>
>>382824596
they're is only way to find out :)
>>
>>382825227
>most old games aren't worth playing
Whoa... no way... what a powerful claim... Did you know that most old books and film aren't worth reading or watching? Most books and films period are not worth it. Sturgeon's law. Look it up.
>>
I replay Deus Ex and Chaos Theory every year.
>>
>>382824596
Whatever happened to Banon? He just kinda vanishes once you get to the empire and is never brought up again.
>>
>>382824596
The game in your pic holds up pretty well.
>>
>>382825571
1984 is still good.
All About Eve is still good.
Ocarina of Time is shit if you play it today for the first time in your life.
>>
>>382826521
>his example of a good old book is 1984
just lol
>>
If you actually like videogames* is easy to play old ones even if they are dated. They usually give you some insight on old game design, make you appreciate how genres have changed over time and see how companies have changed some of their core philosophies. You will also be able to tell your opinion on older games and be part of broader conversations.

There are also a fucking lot of videogames that haven't aged poorly at all, and are a great time to have any day.

*If you are asking this shit, you don't.
>>
>>382825115
well books and movies don't rely on technology as much as video games.

The more you rely on technology, the less you seem to be able to whistand the trial of time

That being said, i think that there's a lot of old games which are still very enjoyable
>>
>>382826964
The Islam holy book is a good read ((goy))
>>
>>382825323
what are your top games?
>>
>>382824596
Is it worth going back to read old books or watch old movies?

Of course it is.
>>
old games play poorly when look bad compared to todays high standards
>>
File: 1489182000596.jpg (1MB, 1440x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1489182000596.jpg
1MB, 1440x1080px
>>382824596
Of course it's worth it, as long as you're going back to play the best game ever made.
>>
File: images.jpg (9KB, 300x168px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
9KB, 300x168px
>>382828960
>todays high standards
>>
If you have to ask this question, you've probably only recently started playing games and you're used to modern design choices and quality of life. It'll be worth going back but you need to be able to temper your expectations and accept signs of age. If you're the type to nitpick and shitpost over the most minor of annoyances then it's just going to be a headache trying to adapt.
>>
File: timeless.jpg (51KB, 306x437px) Image search: [Google]
timeless.jpg
51KB, 306x437px
>>382825227
>movies and books are far more timeless than video games.
This is what /lit/ fags actually believe.
>>
>>382829792
You're my least favorite shitposter.
>>
>>382825935
I thought he got sold out after the emperor pretended to play nice but I cant quite remember
>>
It's depends on the game, but a ton of older games have aged like fine wine
>>
>>382824596
No way, compared to the latest cutting edge AAA cinematic experiences on the Sony Playstation 4 these old games are pathetic, only losers play them.
>>
What are some actually good books you'd recommend, and where can I read them on the internet?
>>
>>382824596
played chrono trigger about a year ago
i honestly didn't expect to enjoy it so much, the music, the combo attacks and a crazy rollercoaster story were all alot of fun
>>
>>382832596
I played chrono trigger in 2012.

the only snes games ive beaten are chrono trigger and earthbound.
>>
>>382824596
ff6 is not worth it, maybe one or two areas are interesting, I kept pressing just one button in the rest
>>
>>382830403
you sure proved him wrong with that 168p screenshot
>>
>>382825039
This, /v/ is legitimately the worst board on the site and deserves all the shit it gets.
>>
>>382832115
Journey to the End of the Night by Celine
Amerika by Kafka
>>
>always see people on /v/ say it's impossible to die on Chrono Trigger
>finally buy and play it
>get stuck at Golem Twins, can't beat them no matter how hard I try
I-i'm just bad at turn-based combat, please don't bully me.
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.