[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

RPGs are the worst genre of the worst kind. They're treated

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: Q9S9xw3.jpg (210KB, 2000x1127px) Image search: [Google]
Q9S9xw3.jpg
210KB, 2000x1127px
RPGs are the worst genre of the worst kind. They're treated as being complex when the most 'complex' ones rely on either hiding its mechanics from the player or being grind/RNG/ oriented.

People yearn and wriggle for the lack of traditional turn based RPGs, but to anyone who's played them it is of no confusion why they're slowly going away. The nature of the games rely on pure numbers with only visuals and a story (always shit to mediocre) to accompany them.

Fans of the genre will tell you they're strategy based, but that is far from the truth. Strategy boils down to figuring out how the mechanics work and then using the most obvious and clear cut way to go about encounters and bosses. This is the reason even "difficult" RPGs are only difficult at the beginning and far easier with spikes for bosses.

So if the gameplay is generally terrible what and the writing is only 'good' by video game standards, what's left? Visuals. You need to look no further than Darkest Dungeon and Persona a like to see that pretty presentation is all that matters for the traditional turn based rpg and it's of no surprise that people have moved towards ARPGs and SRPGs. CRPGs are the same, except with visuals there's more emphasis on sub par writing and the illusion of choice.

CRPGs have been revived, but only temporarily, as now people have already seen the cracks in them thanks to Pillars and Divinity. Namely mediocre to terrible gameplay, verbose text, and the game being a virtual CYOA book. Also, JRPGs are as much as an RPG as Borderlands is.
>>
Agreed.
>>
>>382792087

Wassamatter, widdle babby get rekt? :3
>>
>>382792972
>Say a something is easy and simple
>"Git gud"

Is this dumb meme some secret language?
>>
File: honk honk.webm (3MB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
honk honk.webm
3MB, 480x360px
>>
>>382792087
You are not wrong, but I still like a few RPGs. Mostly for their ability to create a unique world for me to explore.
>>
>>382792087
>Darkest Dungeon
>pretty presentation
what?
>>
I think they're fun
>>
>>382793612
eh
>>
>>382792087
>Fans of the genre will tell you they're strategy based, but that is far from the truth
>Strategy boils down to figuring out how the mechanics work and then using the most obvious and clear cut way to go about encounters and bosses

That's exactly what strategy means though, coming up with a plan. Tactics is execution.
>>
Well OP, I do agree with this, but their could be something in the genre I am missing. I certainly have no interest in the obtuse mechanics and autistic lore but some people do.

I love Time Crisis, I beta tested Time Crisis 5 during the best years of my life when I worked for Namco, but its just a rooty tooty point and shooty wow grandpa you can't even control your character lol thats gay, and thats easy to criticize, doesn't stop me from enjoying it and having fun getting 1cc's and high scores.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.