[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So byuu (bsnes author) is doing a "preservation project"

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 7

File: 1499127838048.jpg (87KB, 768x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1499127838048.jpg
87KB, 768x1024px
So byuu (bsnes author) is doing a "preservation project" where he dumps every ROM of SNES games that he buys or borrows, asks for donations, etc.

But I don't understand how he's preserving anything if he's only one with a copy of the dumped rooms. Some of the games were dumped incorrectly originally and he claims to be doing it properly but what's the point if that never gets back to the community?
>>
why do girls pretend to like nier automata
>>
>>382726231
because it's le deep weeb game by le quirky moon mask man

real reason: it gives them an excuse to fish for compliments about their butts.
>>
"Haha hey Anon! Wanna support me on patreon and give me 80 dollars a month for basically nothing except some lewd shitty selfies and pictures of my shitty cosplays?"
>>
File: byuu.jpg (83KB, 1059x364px) Image search: [Google]
byuu.jpg
83KB, 1059x364px
huh I guess that's good enough
>>
>>382726561
t. The Anon Who Can't Get 80 Bucks For Being Hot
>>
byuu is a fucking autist. I like his emulator and all but fuck's sake he's anal about everything.
>>
>>382726590
Is Byuu really this much of an autist as this post makes him look like?
>>
>>382726231
Not sure if you are aware but nier automata is currently the most popular game between ironic weebs and a good portion of normies are already going for the "i play ''''''deep'''''' games" attitude, its pretty much the same that happened with Dark Souls and everyone wanting to be an epic hardcore player.
>>
>>382726231
thats not a fat blue haired american chick though so she probably does like it
>>
>>382726886
Nah, check his forum, it's much worse.
>>
File: fuego2.jpg (9KB, 574x435px) Image search: [Google]
fuego2.jpg
9KB, 574x435px
>trusting byuu
>>
I don't understand any of this shit but I think he included checksums or something to make the emulator tell if your rom is correct
>>
>>382727175
Well yeah but if no good dumps exist and only he has it what's the point of the checksum?
>>
>>382725542
He's creating a list of CRCs of all the ROMs as well, so you can know when the ROM you dumped is legit or broken.
Also cataloguing all the covers and stuff.
>>
>>382726550
>le

Fuck off.
>>
i want that hoodie
>>
>>382727289
That doesn't really help when he has the only "clean" version of the ROM in existence. I mean, your ROM is "broken", but then what? You can't fix it. Just look at it and cry.

That doesn't really sound like a preservation project to me.
>>
>>382726752
#Rekt
>>
>>382726790
Byuu is more than an autist, he's a crack addict on a world without crack so to say.

Programming emulators can be very, very addictive, because you know exactly what you must do, and everyday, a discovery, a new game booting, a speed up, a victory.
And he's the man that reached the end of the line.
Bsnes is perfect, there's nothing else you can do to significantly improve it.
No games that can't run, no significant speed bumps, nothing.
So he keep chasing his own tail, looking for something else to do, something to rekindle that passion but he can't let the snes go so weird shit happens.
>>
>>382727738
I thought he had a fixation on a Sakura Card Captors character? I'd remember the name, but it's been 15 years since I watched it.
>>
>>382727524
He's preserving it for himself. Just pay the patreon already.
>>
>>382727524
The idea probably is to get the pirates to redump the roms as well, but use his CRCs to fix it.
>>
>>382725542
Is this Anzu Cockroach Girl (male)?
>>
>>382728020
But couldn't they check the CRCs themselves, by doing a new dump with "clean" methods? That just looks like byuu being anal (as always).
>>
>>382727436
It's from the Square Enix Japan store
>>
>>382728032
Anzu is a girl. People saying she is a boy are just memesters.
>>
>>382728117
You can't check the CRC if you don't have the CRC.
>>
>>382728252
So, is it...her?
>>
>>382727270
then pirates can redump the games that have bad dumps
happens all the time
>>
>>382728324
Nope
>>
>>382728264
Couldn't they just dump the ROM using the same method byuu uses? I mean, it just sounds like byuu's work is for nothing.
>>
>>382728117
CRC is just a type of identifier, since all roms should have the same data they would have the same CRC

that's why "checking themselves" doesn't make any sense if you don't have a reference CRC, the point here is that people trust byuu dumping equips
>>
>>382728354
Not really a preservation project if it's not preserving things is it
>>
>>382728416
pirates usually don't care that much about accuracy, especially when you consider old games or games that flopped.

basically byuu is making a master list of hashes so that anyone could check if they got the right dump or if their dumping method is legit
>>
>>382728354
I rather doubt that some guys that dumped those games back in... I don't know, 1997? Are going to dump them again just to check them against byuu's copies. I mean, you can get tons of Earthbound, Super Mario World and whatever popular games to be ripped, but what about Super Daisakusen Whatthefuck Monogatari (Japan) or Unknown SatellaView Game #120? I doubt someone's gonna dump them again.
>>
>>382725542
when you say this what exactly is broken with the roms currently out there?
>>
>>382728390
who's this, then? :DDDDD
>>
>>382728513
eventually he's going to have all the dumps and covers/manuals/etc, therefore it's preserved somewhere

since it's still copyrighted material, he can't share but we can have a master list of correct hashes.

it's basically a trust issue that there's no other way to avoid legally. It would be worse for the preservation project if he shared the roms and got shafted by Nintendo before completing it
>>
>>382728512
What I mean is that, if someone cares about accuracy, what is stopping them from just ignoring byuu's master list of hashes, and just doing their own clean dumps? I know byuu is anal about a lot of stuff, but that doesn't mean people really trust him.

What about the Far East of Eden translation
>>
>>382728715
>but what about Super Daisakusen Whatthefuck Monogatari (Japan) or Unknown SatellaView Game #120? I doubt someone's gonna dump them again.
byuu probably will, for his personal "archive" of course/
>>
File: 1478482431069.jpg (260KB, 1280x847px) Image search: [Google]
1478482431069.jpg
260KB, 1280x847px
>>382728416
Byuu is extremely autistic, that's why he's redoing the same work that No-Intro does and coding an emulator according to his own personal standards of accuracy long past the point of diminishing returns. It's admirable autism, sort of, but there's not really any point in trying to analyze it.
>>382728763
They don't come with dumps of coprocessor firmware and shit. Or if the actual No-Intro ROM is bad it's a couple of bytes difference.
>>
>>382728715
if Byuu managed to get those cartridges then maybe other people could also get it, I think that's the point.

most people don't care about perfect roms anyway, as long as the defects aren't noticeable to the average gamer

and probably who cares about this has the money/patience/time to find these rare cartridges
>>
>>382725542
>But I don't understand how he's preserving anything if he's only one with a copy of the dumped roms.

He''ll make back-ups. This project isn't about giving the public access to the games. They already have that. It's about properly documenting the games for the next 100 years.
>>
>>382729030
>They don't come with dumps of coprocessor firmware and shit. Or if the actual No-Intro ROM is bad it's a couple of bytes difference.

So for someone not tech savvy what does this affect in the game itself?
>>
>>382728763
According to Byuu, there's shit like intros, fixes to make run on copiers and sometimes just sheer vandalism, like retards placing their nicknames on some part of the rom.
>>
>>382729141
Absolutely nothing. That's why you probably use snes9x and not higan.
>>
>>382728883
indeed there's a trust issue but apparently emulation people trust byuu since he's really into accuracy and is autistic af

ofc the point is that anyone can make a clean dump and compare with byuu's so that they can find inconsistencies in either byuu's or their dump
>>
I'm not byuu's friend but I've talked to him occasionally over the years.

The man is super connected when it comes to the real professionals in the industry. It sounds like bullshit, but it's true. He's one of the living gods of this medium, right next to flibitijibibo.

At this point, he's the only person with enough 'autism' to do the job he's taken on. I don't think another human being, alive or dead for the past 50 years, has the expertise necessary for the project he's trying to complete.

He's nice enough if you just talk to him. I wouldn't say he's 'autistic' like whatever the hell's going with Ulillillia, but I can tell you that he's singleminded when it comes to what he wants to do with his time. He's kind of machine-like in how he acts. Very weird, but he's a nice guy.
>>
File: Syaoran.jpg (277KB, 1440x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Syaoran.jpg
277KB, 1440x1080px
>>382729367
I heard he thinks he's Shaoran Li from Sakura Card Captors, is it true?
We in /m/ have our own autist who thinks he's a shota character from some anime, his name is Clawshrimpy.
>>
>>382729054
>maybe if you could find this game and could afford to buy it and it turns out it's not fake and you have the correct setup to dump it, you can match his hash

wow the game must feel so preserved right now
>>
>>382727860
What does she look like? If it's Tomoyo then my opinion of him has improved.
>>
>>382729595
>>382729760
Nevermind. My opinion of him stays.
>>
>>382729760
It's Shoran Li, the pic above.
>>
>>382729367
Isn't he like a literal faggot? Like actual homosex?
>>
>>382729141
I guess that most people wouldn't notice but it could happen that since the rom isn't perfect or no one has a clean copy of the coproc firmware the emulator isn't 1:1 compared to the real thing

but again, most people wouldn't ran into issues because of bad dumps. But on a historical level, it basically means that in the future no one will be able to play these games as us did on actual hardware

>>382729743

it's like all digital copies of the Beatles having someone's dick pic hidden in it and not having the original disk to redigitize it

most people wouldn't care if they can't listen the garbage data but turboautists does. And, usually, turboautists know how to hoard data. Prolly it's going to get released in the future after the thing is done and no one can do shit about the copyrighted data
>>
File: 1498163153570.jpg (61KB, 700x527px) Image search: [Google]
1498163153570.jpg
61KB, 700x527px
>>382729983
He's asexual.
>>
>>382730106
I thought he had a boyfriend or something? Or was that Clawshrimpy? Damn, I'm mixing my autists up.
>>
>>382729743
I think the guy is just trying to be legal. He's basically making a database where pirates can check if their shit is right. If so, they can spread it around like STD in an all girls school without any problems down the line.
>>
>>382729367
t. byuu
>>
>>382728715
>>382729149
Well, if he dumps them "accurately" does that mean that the "clean" ROMs will have things like the brutal anti-piracy features of EarthBound. The actual cartridge (and likely the "clean dump") checks for the exact hardware of the system while the ROMs floating around on the Internet are patched to have those routines disabled.
>>
>>382726231
flavor of the month
>>
>>382725542
/fa/g here, w2c that hoodie
>>
>>382733897
EB don't go that far.
It just checks for the save memory size.
Copiers back then had a big save memory to accommodate for all possible save sizes, so EB exploited that to detect if it was running on the cartridge or not.
A decent emulator like snes9x is already capable of fooling those roms.
>>
>>382733897
no, because you should be using an accurate enough emulator that won't trip any anti piracy features

you don't really hear about anyone having problems with no-intro roms anyways
>>
>>382726231
Female attractiveness fantasy.
Just like guys like to pretend to be saiyans, girls like to pretend they have that damn fine butt.
>>
>>382725542
post the picture of here without her makeup. Let the weebs know how fake their waifu is
>>
File: 1497937446159.webm (3MB, 854x480px) Image search: [Google]
1497937446159.webm
3MB, 854x480px
>>382726231
No idea, I guess they like the character
>>
>>382726914
anon spitting truth
Thread posts: 69
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.