[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>having digital copies of your games For what purpose, may

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 6

File: P05.jpg (7KB, 235x222px) Image search: [Google]
P05.jpg
7KB, 235x222px
>having digital copies of your games

For what purpose, may I ask

Isn't it always better to have a physical copy
>>
>>382724005
Convenience
>>
>>382724005
I just get digital because I buy everything on steam sales.
>>
>>382724005
i believe it is.
but it is really tempting sometimes when they're on sale, and you don't have to go anywhere to get it.
also some may say it's too much of a hassle to get up and take a pull a disc out, put it back in the case, and grab a different disc out of a case to put in your xbox.
>>
>have physical copy
>lose/damage it
>have to buy it again or just do without

>have digital copy
>no need to worry about storage
>even if your entire computer/console is destroyed, you can just log into your account and redownload it

Or if you're into piracy, you can store dozens/hundreds of games on an external drive the size of a playing card deck and take them anywhere/share them with people. Owning physical copies of games these days serves next to no purpose beyond "I like touching the box" and "I willing spend twice the cost of a game so I can have a poster to look at while not playing".
>>
>>382724005

Digital copies arent subjected to overpricing in this shit hole third world country I live in
>>
>>382724005
it's good for the environment.

Physical copies are still better though.
>>
>>382724005
>paying for games
>being this autistic
>>
>>382724005
Better to have both, though after moving a couple times my Diablo 2 disc vanished to god knows where. Still have LoD (can't play without 2 though) and Diablo 1 in my battle chest though.
>>
>>382724629
>have digital copy
>get your account hacked
>lose all your games
>>
>>382724005
>inb4 Le if steam shut down all your games get delet xdddd meme
Literally will not happen.
>>
>>382724629
Wrong, because some steam games are already out of the store.
As soon as my games stop working, I am done for.
>>
>>382724715
I pay because I like collecting. Otherwise I'd just pirate the damn game.
>>
I'm really just lazy
>>
I go physical for consoles/handhelds and digital for PC. I might make exceptions if the physical version of a console/handheld game was originally a digital-only release or if the physical PC release is really good.
>>
Because Kid Icarus is always out of print
>>
File: 9073252.jpg (141KB, 700x500px) Image search: [Google]
9073252.jpg
141KB, 700x500px
>>382724715
I pay for the pirate fags.
If nobody bought the games, you won't have games to pirate.
>>
File: 729.gif (227KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
729.gif
227KB, 600x600px
>2017
>paying for games
>>
>>382724005
It's a safety blanket in case I ever become homeless for a while.
>>
>>382725013
If nobody bought games, games would only be made as a labor of love instead of as shitty cash grabs.

I'd be ok with that.
>>
>>382724760

>be stupid with your account information
>get hacked because of your stupidity

>>382724885

I've still got Metro 2033 in my account and can reinstall it whenever without the Redux shit.
>>
>>382724629
You know you could literally any day get banned from steam and lose access to all the games you "bought" on there. You don't own anything. Valve is allowing you to download and play the games for as long as they see fit. They can at any moment retract that privilege.

And when (not if) Steam goes out of business, you will lose access to all the games as well.
>>
>>382725152
Never gonna happen.
>>
>>382725152
>only the most dedicated, politically opinioned kickstarter backed pixelshit devs would even bother
I see you're not old enough to remember that "Nintenhard" was a marketing strategy cash grab to intentionally make video games as hard as possible
>>
File: 1473912094719.png (216KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
1473912094719.png
216KB, 500x281px
>>382725174
Don't they remove it from the steam servers if the publishers stop paying for it?
>>
>>382725013
Unless you're actually uploading your copies for people to pirate, you aren't paying for shit but yourself, so don't pull that garbage.
>>
for console games, discs are a much better option
pc, digital is better
>>
>having physical copies of GB games
>battery goes out
H-Hah, physical media i-is so much better
>>
>>382725398
no, you can still download it from your library
>>
>>382724005
In an age where games require steam activations, it's next to pointless.

That being said. It's best to have physical + digital in any case.
>>
>>382725398
You can't buy it anymore, but if you have it bought you can still download it
>>
>>382725496
>have physical copy of SNES games
>can sell them for fuckloads

Physicalfags win again
>>
>>382724760
>account
>he thinks I pay for my games
>>
>>382724005
There are several factors that go into account. Neither is necessarily right or wrong.
If you're someone that goes back and forth with a system to and from a friend's house, it helps to have digital games so that you don't need to carry all of the games along with it. Otherwise if you're someone that doesn't mind adding the games to the pile to bring, then it doesn't matter, but the digital option is objectively more convenient in that case.
Also, it depends on if the game goes on sale or not. When someone is ready to buy a game, they'll go for whichever is cheaper regardless of it being digital or physical, but of course, not everyone is that way.
Just do whatever you feel more comfortable with. Life is too short to get paranoid over it.

>>382725398
No. You can't buy it anymore, but the game is still up on the servers. I own Blur on PC and can download it as many times as I want despite it not being available on Steam anymore.
>>
>>382725217

>They can at any moment retract that privilege.

AKA shit that only happens to people who buy stolen keys from 3rd party sites or blatantly attempt to scam people. This belief that Valve would just start revoking access for literally no reason is asinine. As for going out of business, they're privately owned and worth billions, unless they literally piss away their bankroll they're set for the foreseeable future. And worst-case scenario, I simply apply cracks to all the games I currently have, then pirate the rest.

>>382725398

They only did that once, for a strategy game that was directly tied to a 3rd-party master server that permanently went offline, rendering the client-side useless.
>>
>>382725627
>selling video games
>>
Only games I buy digitally are remasters and thats only if I already have the original

Starfox64 3D was an excellent digital purchase
>>
>>382724005
Convenience really. I can store my games in a single place thanks to digital on my 3ds for example. I can freely move around from PC to PC thanks to steam or hell just games I have an extra copy of on a usb stick. There's a reason cassettes and cds have died out and DVDs/Blurays are essentially in the bargain bin everywhere you go. Also if content as a whole is cheaper on both the developer and consumer side since boxes/cds/carts don't have to be made in mass. That is if you exclude "triple A" developers who charge $60+ regardless.

I have a friend who insist on buying physical only and his reasoning is essentially because he likes to collect shit. To each their own but there's no actual beneficial reason to it in this day in age where physical media is being phased out in favor of portability.
>>
File: 1486792813317.png (13KB, 244x206px) Image search: [Google]
1486792813317.png
13KB, 244x206px
>>382725404
Yeah I should like this guy you all abandoned, right?
https://www.geek.com/games/nintendo-awarded-1-3-million-in-new-super-mario-bros-wii-piracy-lawsuit-1085261/
>>
File: 1047198494.jpg (85KB, 640x364px) Image search: [Google]
1047198494.jpg
85KB, 640x364px
>not pirating and burning them to a disc
>>
>>382724005
If you like owning "physical stuff' its fine I suppose. Just remember even optical discs have a shelf-life. Personally I find the clutter too much. I live in an urban area and will probably move several more times in my life and I don't want to have to haul all that shit around. I have enough faith in digital distribution that I won't be screwed by some "kill switch." Even if there is a kill switch, just maintain a couple backup HDDs, that you don't connect to the internet.
>>
Convenience
Free
Faster loading
>>
I used to be a physicalfag until I realised that selling money is pennies and I had to move. It was REALLY annoying because I had hundreds of games.
>>
>>382725779
And yet, owning physical copies is still safer. Yes, the chance of a getting banned because of a false positive and Valve going bankrupt in the near future is small, it is still better to physically own video games if you want to be safe.

Physical copies are more expensive and much less convenient, but they are not strictly worse than digital copies because they are simply more reliable, plus they have resale value, as opposed to digital copies.

They are different, and none is inherently better than the other.
>>
>>382725334
When did video games being hard become a bad thing?
>>
>>382724760
>have physical copy
>get your house robbed
>lose all your games
>>
>>382727084
>And yet, owning physical copies is still safer.
So is not going outside. That's a dumb argument for people who wear a tin foil hat.

>but they are not strictly worse than digital copies because they are simply more reliable, plus they have resale value, as opposed to digital copies
Digital has faster load times, can be redownloaded as opposed to a physical copy that suddenly stops working for whatever reason and resell value plummets a week after a game comes out. Even if you're not stupid selling your games to a gamestop or gamestop like place you still won't make enough to compensate for the amount of effort you put forth to sell it.
>>
Also, I only get mp games on steam anyway. Digital all the way, pirate the rest
>>
>>382725152
>games would only be made as a labor of love
>being this delusional
>>
>>382727695
>living near niggers
>>
>>382724005
If it doesn't have a limited edition, there's no point for physical.
Only other time you buy physical is when the digital version gets taken down.
>>
>>382724005
For a PC fag such as myself, it is way too inconveniencing to have physical copies of anything.
>>
>>382727961
>implying video games aren't made as a labor of love

Honestly, all the AAA game studios could die tomorrow and I wouldn't notice. Most of the shit they make is uninspired garbage. Free games made by and for fans are where the real fun is at.
Thread posts: 53
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.