[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I like CRPGs. I hear great things about both and that they are

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 7

File: what 1 v.png (466KB, 460x490px) Image search: [Google]
what 1 v.png
466KB, 460x490px
I like CRPGs. I hear great things about both and that they are brutally hard if you build wrong. Both are on sale for the same price, but witch 1 is the best /v/? FIGHT!
>>
Underrail
>>
I don't know.
>>
File: but-why.gif (4MB, 581x327px) Image search: [Google]
but-why.gif
4MB, 581x327px
>>382717336
>Underrail
>>
These are nothing alike. Age of Decadence is about talking your way out of combat. Underrail is about combat.
>>
>>382718570

It's all the mechanics of OG Fallout but with some QoL improvements and magic (PSI). The story isn't that memorable, but the actual gameplay is solid and the encounter/world design is such that you can viably play loads of different builds.

Plus there's an expack in the works, so that's something.
>>
>>382717247
Underrail is just a quicksave/loadfest. As in, it's basically a gameplay mechanic you have to use. Age of Decadence is a readfest. Not even a real game.
>>
Age of Decadence is like an idea guy made a game.
It's really irritating and niche, making you restart or save scum a lot.
Oh, you wanted to play your own way? Sorry, you had to put ALL your points in ONE thing, even though there's 20 things and there's no way to know which ones are important or not!
>>
>>382717247
Age of Decadence is kinda shitty. It's brutal when you build bad except what's bad is only known after some trial or error outside of combat. It has okayish combat but everything else is pretty much CYOA with skill checks, even stealth. Combat is also too reliant on RNG. It feels like trying to pander to old school RPG except for the fact that it doesn't really feel comparable to something like Fallout mostly due to the entire game feeling on rails due to almost everything being CYOA with skill check interrupted by combat segments without any natural flow.

Underrail on the other hand has really good combat, more content, less retarded setting, and actual stealth.
>>
>>382719935
Fuck off, Age of Decadence's setting is great.
>>
>>382720065
Whatever
>>
>>382717247
AoG is for people who want to read a FAQ while playing an RPG.
>>
File: 1479577306086.jpg (151KB, 624x697px) Image search: [Google]
1479577306086.jpg
151KB, 624x697px
I haven't played Age of Decadence so I can't say which one is better, but I can say that Underrail deserves your money if you liked Fallout 1 and 2 at all. It has a great combat system with lots of versatility and play styles, and the first thing you'll want to do when you beat it is start over again as a different build.
>>
>>382717247
>FIGHT!
There is no point in comparing two games that are so different in mechanics and goals they set out to accomplish. So nah, I won't. I love both games.
>>
>>382719893
>Sorry, you had to put ALL your points in ONE thing, even though there's 20 things and there's no way to know which ones are important or not!

That's simply not true. Every faction you can choose corresponds to one of the backgrounds you can pick on character creation. And those backgrounds tell you exactly what skillset you are going to need for that questline. You can deviate from it, and very often it can still work. But not always, unlike the recommended stats which will always be enough to finish all related quests.

And if you decide to do your own thing, you will be given many options to switch factions, or give all of them the middle finger and remain a free agent.
>>
File: lltq_wallpaper[1].jpg (575KB, 1536x900px) Image search: [Google]
lltq_wallpaper[1].jpg
575KB, 1536x900px
>>382717247
Age of Decadence is the brainchild of some Codexian underachiever who shits on classic RPGs for the sake of being contrarian and then creates this: a game where you will be flat out locked out of beating the game if your skill choices are bad. This is motivated by the idea that no character should be able to access 100% of the content by himself, and that you should be gated by the skills you choose.

Unfortunately, while it's a sound theory that does show off many games as shallow, this dude, Vault Dweller, who was in charge of AoD, went about it completely the wrong way, because in AoD, your first-time build will shit itself to death, and who has time to be constantly starting up new characters to attempt the same readfest 4-5 times in a row? You're better off playing picrel, because a single run of that takes 30 minutes while operating on the same exact principle - level Falconry and you're dead, you dumb fucking faggot.

Also, Vault Dweller's namesake came from a game where 100% of the content was easily unlocked by going Small Guns + Speech high intelligence stealth archer and any character following this template can easily do so, it's just that VD is terrible at RPGs. He also hates Fallout 2 because it has worse narrative and worldbuilding than Fallout 1, completely ignoring the better weapon progression and balancing.

It's not like the Monte Cook Ivory Tower Design where a Fighter might feel more adequate next to a Wizard with some help from a skilled DM, it's like a rudimentary skillcheck shitfest.

Underrail is better, but don't expect the narrative of Fallout.

This golden age and renaissance of RPGs we owe to Kickstarter has failed.
>>
File: AoD 2017-06-26 03-24-56-796.png (1MB, 1280x800px) Image search: [Google]
AoD 2017-06-26 03-24-56-796.png
1MB, 1280x800px
>>382724303
>a game where you will be flat out locked out of beating the game if your skill choices are bad
>>
>>382717247
AoD has among the best writing in any RPG. The combat is pretty fun, but you have to pick your fights as a talker/hybrid character. Doing all fights in the game is hard even for a full combat Merc. Also depends on how much resources you want to spend to succeed.

Underrail is such a comfy RPG with the exploring and lvling.

Both games are especially tough in the beginning.
>>
AoD is the type of games that expect you to restart if you fucked up, which you will without a guide. Like they outright said that in the tutorial. They even said shit like 'it's hard to be a social/combat hybrid' but the fact is, you'll get stuck at some point with this kind of build. And combat is still an RNG fest even if you go pure combat (not to mention they don't give anything rewarding for this approach, like most games because hurr durr straight combat is so uncreative)

Tldr, it's shit
>>
I heard you can play as a merchant in AoD and it's comfy as fuck. This true?
>>
>>382719518
only if you don't have exit strategies
the game has more than sufficient "oh shit" buttons and items to allow you to semi-safely retreat from dangerous situations
>>
File: 1498141930863.jpg (408KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1498141930863.jpg
408KB, 1920x1080px
>>382725431
It's true.
>>
File: dungeon_rats_guide_screenshot_2.jpg (367KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
dungeon_rats_guide_screenshot_2.jpg
367KB, 1920x1080px
For anyone wanting to play AoD, I would suggest getting Dungeon Rats first. Then you'd really get a good idea of the combat system.

>>382725431
Yes the dialogue is really good.
>>
I've started Underrail multiple times with different builds and found it to be a save/reload-fest
>>
>>382726087
With Dungeon Rats even the first couple of fights are harder than anything in AoD. That's like suggesting someone to storm the Pentagon with a kitchen knife to prepare for robbing the local mom & pop store.
>>
>>382726417
Did you get past the junkyard?
>>
>>382717247
If you don't realize why AoD is good already you will enjoy Underrail more.
>>
>>382725431

It's like the perfect jew gaming experience, no joke.

I played through the whole game working with the guild, forging alliances, manipulating factions and deposing rulers. Not once did I have to kill anybody, all the while filling my pockets with gold.

other than that the game is quite mediocre
>>
>>382726710
Not that much, there's also difficulty setting.
But that will force you to learn instead of you thinking there's something wrong with your build and then have to redo the dialogues in AoD.
>>
>>382727254
Bullshit, Murderous Psychopath is the only difficulty option in the game.
>>
>>382727446
I hear you. That combined with Ironman was pretty thrilling until i got powder-nade crited.
>>
>>382726417
That shouldn't be the case. Have you been using combat utilities? Nets, grenades, traps? Have you been taking drugs to reduce damage, increase your action points, or heal poison? Have you used different ammo, tried poisons, used the many ways of crowd control, have you tried to set them on fire, or make them bleed? Have you used stealth?

A truly good build can take you through the game even if you completely fail at strategy. But a skilled and resourceful player can make even a subpar build shine.
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.