[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Just finished this. Can we talk about the best game of the year

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 4

File: 1728392837263.jpg (445KB, 2000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1728392837263.jpg
445KB, 2000x1000px
Just finished this. Can we talk about the best game of the year and one of the best games of all time?
>>
>>382716901
Hi I'm from 20 years from the time this thread was posted and I just wanted to pop in and let you know that this game is not perfect so it actually sucked and you're all just blind nostalgiafags for liking it right now.

Have a nice day.

PS Trump gets assassinated in a year.
>>
>>382717120
>reddit spacing
you need to go back
>>
File: botw.jpg (478KB, 1038x909px) Image search: [Google]
botw.jpg
478KB, 1038x909px
>>382716901
Can these shitty falseflagging threads just end already
>>
File: 1995 internets.png (70KB, 1426x674px) Image search: [Google]
1995 internets.png
70KB, 1426x674px
>>382717265
>reddit spacing
>not the way people have posted on the internet since its inception
>>
>>382716901
Sure. What game would that be?
>>
>>382717265
I hate this meme.
>>
>>382717482
>he says whilst not posting that way
>>
>>382717120
ugh F*CK DRUMPF AND F*CK WHITE PEOPLE
>>
The first forty or so hours of this game were absolutely magical. Exploring the world in BOTW is one of my favorite recent gaming experiences. I even liked the weapon durability - it forced me to improvise in combat encounters, as opposed to just playing a dull numbers game.

Expect climbing to show up in a lot of upcoming games. It completely changed the way I thought about traversing open worlds, and I expect a lot of devs took note.
>>
>>382716901
Its a really bad game.
I'm waiting for Matthewmatosis to do his review so I can have my ego stroked and maybe something else to, giggedy then I will link his and Joseph Anderson's videos in every BotW thread so people can learn why the game is bad.
>>
>>382717265
maybe in the future /v/ and reddit have become one in the same
>>
>>382717709
I seriously hope climbing doesnt become a thing. Its just slow vertical movement. There's nothing fun or challenging about it.
>>
>>382718016
there's many ways to speed it up, especially if you know the mechanic well.
>>
>>382716901
>Can we talk about the best game of the year and one of the best games of all time?
Sure man just come back in a few month when Xenoblade 2 is out and I'll get right on that.
>>
>>382718016
It's an alternative method of traversal. There's nothing "fun" or "challenging" about walking, either. It's about navigation, and how much of the world space you can explore. In 99% of games, you see a mountain, and start to look for a path to go up. Or you come across a wall you can't jump over, and you have to look for a way around. In BOTW, you see a mountain, and you can literally scale the vertical face in front of you.

You have to plan your climbs ahead of time until you max out your stamina meter, and even then, there's still some faces you can't just brute-force. There's gear which speeds it up. Even then, it's not really necessary for a lot of the game, you can explore most of the world without climbing.

Granted, a lot of developers that try to implement it in the near future are gonna fuck it up. That's a given. But so many developers have come out gushing about this game, I wouldn't be surprised if we start to see its influence in the next few years.
>>
>>382716901
>Can we talk about the best game of the year
Yes P5 was really fun
>>
>>382718804
I think if climbing was faster and stamina couldnt be upgraded to cheese every cliffside it could have been ok, but as is is just as bad as walking and paraglider makes most of the ground pointless since you can just fly over it as well. I just hope they put more thought into their designs next time because BOTW just felt lazy.
>>
>>382719451
I feel pretty much the exact opposite. I'd say these types of games probably aren't for you.
>>
>>382719000
this
>>
>>382719801
Probably true. Just didn't want zelda to become that type of game. Guess I could just wait for someone else to make a 3d zelda-like game eventually.
>>
so did this game actually turn out to be fun or is it nintendos reskin of barren open world Skyrim?
>>
>>382716901
speaking as someone who doesn't own a wii u or a switch, what is so "amazing" about this game?
the legend of zelda is pretty much synonymous with the "go to dungeon > get item> clear dungeon with item" formula
everything i've heard about breath of the wild says that it discards this formula and does something totally different
as someone who liked the "zelda formula", what about this game is so amazing?
>>
>>382719451
>I think if climbing was faster
Maybe a small speed increase is in order, but if it was just as fast as walking, there would be no tradeoff. It's not slow enough to be frustrating unless you're incredibly impatient.
>and stamina couldnt be upgraded to cheese every cliffside
Once you've gotten that many shrines, you ought to be able to cheese cliffsides. Progression needs to happen in these games. I have more of an issue with the late game combat balance and enemy variety than climbing.
> paraglider makes most of the ground pointless since you can just fly over it as well.
???? The ground isn't "pointless", flying over it is your reward for climbing.
>BOTW just felt lazy.
I can't imagine the kind of standards someone needs to have for them to come to this conclusion, unless they don't understand how game development works at all.
>>
File: P5.jpg (390KB, 759x951px) Image search: [Google]
P5.jpg
390KB, 759x951px
>>382716901
>Can we talk about the best game of the year and one of the best games of all time?
Sure.
>>
>>382720414
I know how it works, They just spent time on the wrong shit. Like making an obnoxiously big world with a hundred different pointless crafting materials, when they could have been making actual dungeons, more enemy types, and an overworld with actual level design
>>
>>382720414
>>382720830
The content tends to feel watered down as if to fill the space the game insists on taking up. You walk more and do less and the shit you do is never as in depth as a game that takes care to craft more curated scenarios.

Good example is taking MGSV:GZ and MGSV:TPP. Ground Zeroes is the best fortress between the two games by far.

Similarly, BotW would only benefit by taking its core mechanics (the physics based shit is fantastic) and focusing it into 8 or 12 dungeons designed to test the player's problem solving, exploratory, and technical mastery of the game.

And on this note, the locations can and often do look great but for the most part the game utilizes that space simply by making you traverse them and do nothing with vast stretches of those areas. They overstay their welcome. There's no focus.

The game is Zelda: Meandering Edition. And the devs knew it. They knew the space had to be filled so they padded it out with tiers of weapons and armor AND made them consumables so they'd never be redundant by the vast world offering them too much.

When you make a game so large that you can't sufficiently fill it with -unique- rewards not too far apart from one another you have a fucking problem. A problem the very first fucking Zelda avoided while still being a Goddamned sandbox.

It's a great game but a better sense of focus would have only made it better.
>>
>>382719000
>>382720641

>Persona 5 best game of the year
>even though some of the characters were severely underdeveloped, the villains were Saturday morning cartoon tier, and the last act of the game felt incredibly rushed

Nice try, guys. I love Persona 5 but let's not pretend it didn't have huge glaring flaws.
>>
>>382716901
>>382720641
>Two games that take completely opposite approaches in so many different aspects
>Both are excellent in their own ways
This was a good year for video games
>>
>>382721390
Umm no you're not allowed to like two games on /v/ sweetie
>>
>>382721331
>but let's not pretend it didn't have huge glaring flaws.
The only real issue I take with P5 is that the developers couldn't balance combat around the confidant links because it would be impossible to do it fairly but that means the combat gets exponentially easier as you progress.

Both games have their issues but they're the two best games I've played in a long time.
>>
>>382720403
If what you liked about Zelda was the formula, you'll have to try and forget that this is a Zelda game. It gives you every major "item" in the first two hours.
The appeal is in the diversity of mechanics, and how the open world allows for a shitton of different approaches to pretty much every challenge thrown at you. It's also a ton of fun to explore the world for the first time, because there's a good deal of stuff to do that, for me, didn't really get old until about 60-70 hours in - and even then, there's probably a bunch of sidequests and activities you've missed.
Common criticisms of the game are:
>the sidequest design - there are some interesting quests, but a lot of them amount to "collect [object]". It's often not on the level of Nier Automata or Majora's Mask sidequests, with a handful of exceptions.
>as >>382720989 outlines, there's a lot of space between things that isn't always filled up. I personally didn't mind, as I enjoyed the size of it all, but a lot of people have taken issue with the fact that there's just a lot of grassy plains without much on them. This isn't to say the world feels overall bare, just a bit bigger than it might have needed to be.
>dungeons are underwhelming and are spread out into a bunch of shrines which all look exactly the same - as great as the puzzles within these dungeons/shrines are, they don't really compare in terms of scale to previous Zelda dungeons.
>>
>>382717708
#DUMPTrUMP lol
>>
>>382717813
Matthewmatosis is going to praise it though, it addresses just about all of his complains he had with Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword.
>>
>>382720403
There is a bit of the Zelda formula, but instead of the usual linear key-in-keyhole style, it's more of a tools-on-lock kind of game. Instead of needing a specific thing that does one specific action, you solve things by using items with the right properties. Multiple items can have the same properties, and a single item usually has more than one property. With this, you can basically play how you want without feeling like you're being held back or given dead weight, since you can find a use for basically everything.
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.