[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What makes a good MMO? Is the MMO a dead genre? Have they failed

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: 1389369766440.gif (3MB, 299x167px) Image search: [Google]
1389369766440.gif
3MB, 299x167px
What makes a good MMO? Is the MMO a dead genre? Have they failed to evolve congruent to more advanced technology and demanding players? Why is WoW still the gold standard in MMOs?
>>
World of Warcraft was lightning in a bottle in several respect and forever set the tone for MMOs to come after it. The issue right now is that MMOs are losing their staying power; people move on to other games rather quickly, and they have to come to terms with the fact that no one is going to play one game to the exclusion of all others.

That said, MMOs have been in a major rut for a while, trying to figure out what the next step it. At the moment, it's shifting more towards action games instead of tab-targeting, trying to get people more involved in their combat. There's also games coming out that are trying to break the core conceit behind the gameplay loop in MMOs, like Crowfall.

I won't say MMOs are dead as a genre, since people are still trying to find new things to do.
>>
>>382692470
>my feet hurt
>she's too tall
>why couldn't Kojima be drinking with me and wrapping arms with me
>>
>>382694146
You also can't ignore the stronger emergence of the console MMO, by which I mean Destiny. Phantasy Star Online started it, followed by a decent attempt with Final Fantasy XI. From here, the console MMO splits. From Japan, you got Final Fantasy XIV, which is a more traditional MMO but has a lot of polish and clearly some staying power. From the west, you got Destiny, an FPS with MMO tendencies, that has cultivated its own mammoth community and is set to grow it with the coming sequel; it's also getting competition, with Anthem coming out next year.

Destiny and FF14 are out to prove that MMOs don't belong solely to PCs anymore, so those must be considered as well.
>>
>>382694343

Remember when he was co-hosting with that based comedian guy who kept making fun of him for wearing 5 jackets?

He said the Pope was so excited about getting to talk to the developers of Titanfall that he had to take off a few jackets from all the sweating.
>>
>>382692470
>Why is WoW still the gold standard in MMOs

Its not

The good MMOs are the ones that breed the most addicts
>>
File: 1498644813175.jpg (661KB, 2560x1760px) Image search: [Google]
1498644813175.jpg
661KB, 2560x1760px
>>382692470
Playing MMOs are a waste of time.

10 years ago it wasn't
>>
>>382692470
They're too expensive and too big projects to take a risk with
You need a lot of capital, time and effort to make one and those who provide the means for that (big publishers) won't take chances with their investment
>>
>>382692470
>build your own character like SWG
>drop queuing for shit
>force people to party with /yell
>no /ooc or /region or anything else bigger than /yell
>make crafting possible with no combat
>open world pvp everywhere except newbie lvl1-15 zone
>>
>>382694991
>10 years ago it wasn't

don't lie to yourself. they were always a waste of time. if anything, they were a BIGGER waste of time, since everything was a pointless grind. now, it's just a pointless treadmill.
>>
>>382694741
Joel McHale or whoever it was?

I never really liked him before, but he was the best thing that ever happened to that show.
>>
>>382694991
>pull with Dia
>Sleepga II
>Thundaga III
>rinse and repeat
>>
>>382695268
10 years ago it was fun making grinding not bad. Now it's not fun and grinding is boring as fuck with all the generic MMOs.
>>
>>382695592
Ffxi and wow back in 2003-2006 is probably the best MMO experience I had.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.