[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

This game wouldn't have flopped if it wasn't called

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 5

File: file.png (2MB, 895x1278px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
2MB, 895x1278px
This game wouldn't have flopped if it wasn't called "Prey".
>>
It flopped? Sad!
What should it have been called?
NeuroShock?
>>
obsessed
>>
There's nothing wrong with the name, the 5 prey fans who boycotted it don't matter.
>>
File: 63473473.jpg (59KB, 598x600px) Image search: [Google]
63473473.jpg
59KB, 598x600px
>>382614819
>>
It was stupid to call it Prey. That name has no positive recognition at all, and actually lots of negative connotations.
>>
>>382612208
>b-but muh sjw Injun bounty hunter gaem
>>
>>382612208
it needed more marketing
>>
bethesda sabotages yet another game
>>
>>382612208
the game is really quite good and /v/ hates it for no reason

I have a reason to dislike (not hate) it though, it's boring. But everyone else seemed to enjoy dishonored?
>>
File: gloooooo.jpg (48KB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
gloooooo.jpg
48KB, 800x450px
>>382612208
Whatever. Idiots can miss out on it if they want.
>>
>>382612208
I really enjoyed it. Nothing amazing but it was fun.
>>
>>382614247
Arkane was originally going to call it "Typhon" before Bethesda threw Prey at them and made their game take the fall with the title.
>>
I'm one of those 3 Prey fans who boycotted this based on Bethesda's horrible PR. That and the game had a bunch of descriptions and long essays on what you were fighting, yet those elements were used as a crutch because of the lack of charm the original monsters had from the first Prey.
>>
>>382616502

the game has literally nothing to do with prey beyond having the name foisted on it by bethesda's tremendously incompetent marketing department
>>
Critical praise, in this case, is the only thing that matters. People liked it, even if it didn't make normie-numbers.
>>
>>382616707

i seriously hope you're not suggesting that videogame critics are people
>>
>>382612208

No one would have cared either.
>>
>>382612208
it didnt flop

It sold under the inflated projections zenimax had for it but its making profit.

And i honestly blame advertisment more than anything. this was a game only those who were following prey 2's development were paying attention to and all the commercials i saw did a terrible job of representing it
>>
>>382612208
It wouldn't have flopped if it were good.
>>
>>382617026
Let's be real, most normies would encounter the first flame phantom in the trauma center, get fucked, rage quit, and never play it again.
>>
>>382616817
I don't engage with trogs like you
>>
>>382612208
I like this game really much, but i never give money to Bethesda again. I wish they focused on retro-futurism more.
>>
It's a good game
>>
File: 1445904952170.jpg (28KB, 432x432px) Image search: [Google]
1445904952170.jpg
28KB, 432x432px
>>382617364
>I wish they focused on retro-futurism more.
>>
>>382617237
oh you're absolutly right

But there is a market out there for slowpaced -shock type games and all the advertisments for Prey 2017 made it look like a very generic garbage fest.

If it had decent marketing accurately depicting the game it would have done better.

Plus again it was a game a lot of people never even heard of something that with the current hype culture in videogames is rare so those shitty tv and web spots were all the exposure most people had of to the game
>>
>>382617237

Lol nigger what?
The game panders to normalfags in every way possible
>>
>>382617683
you really think that? this is clearly a niche interest game and it's much harder than most of its contemporaries too

so hard in fact that its kind of bad as a console game, console players have trouble aiming fast enough
>>
>>382612208
It didn't flop though.
>>
>>382618548
they're looking at about 1.2 million units sold total at this point, is my best guess, extrapolating from available data

prey will be a "long tail" game, sell-through is important to games like this now. this game will be a cult classic in no time and /v/ will love it next year mark my words.

i dont think it made back a significant return on its budget, but it will. it'll do better than Rage did, which makes me sad
>>
File: RAGE 13.jpg (337KB, 666x666px) Image search: [Google]
RAGE 13.jpg
337KB, 666x666px
>>382618772
RAGE was so good I didn't finish it. Couldn't stand to witness the rushed ending. I'mma pretend my adventures never ended.

The worst thing about RAGE is that it's kinda shitty. It's not a fantastic game. When it works, though, it's fucking amazing - and it's got a stupid amount of potential. FPS + racing = video game kino.
>>
>>382619267
I recently played through rage again and the DLC they put out for it is really nice. That and going to the dead city felt really cool. Such a shame about the ending.
>>
>>382617683
Not really. Normals don't have the proper amount of autism to minmax all the resources the game throws at you.
>>
>>382617156
Wrong.
From Space Odyssey, Blade Runner and Troika games. All flops.
>>
>>382619267
>>382619475
the dlc is on a higher level than the game and doesnt have blurry close megatextures which was peoples #1 complaint

i emailed back and forth with carmack about this game. some things
1. they didn't do standard multiplayer because fuck you, basically. they wanted it to be a different experience. they got one that nobody played and it probably killed 2/3 of the games potential sales.
2. the mod tools were going to be released for mapping etc, making this the last id software game with mod tools. i believe he even said "soon" or something of that nature. they never materialized, i think they just realized it would be too much work for people to work with the map. the source map used 14TB of high res textures or something like that.
>>
It was genuinely mediocre.
>>
>>382612208
I wonder if during production anyone ever said "Hey guys, do you think we should fix this input lag?"

I'm glad it failed.
>>
I'm still mad about Prey 2.

On my death bed, when I'm asked if there is anything I wish I would have done, I'll respond with "play Prey 2"

FUCK BETHESDA
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.