[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Explain to me why is pic related considered a good villain. I've

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: Skull_Kid_MM3D.png (3MB, 2000x2306px) Image search: [Google]
Skull_Kid_MM3D.png
3MB, 2000x2306px
Explain to me why is pic related considered a good villain.
I've seen a fuckload of people saying he's the best villain in the entire Zelda franchise.

But we know literally jackshit about him, the only thing we know is he's a skullkid and like every other skull kid he liked to fuck around, so he stole a mask that turned him into comic book evil.

Thats it, that's all we know, there is no backstory or anything and not even a proper motive behind his actions, yet he's hailed as the best villain. Why? Because he isn't Ganon or Vaati. Nintendo fans are so subconsciously desperate for character variety that they will call the first new character "GOAT" simply because he's a fresh picture.

Prove me wrong
>>
>>382607959
the mask itself is the villain not the strawman, while I wouldnt call it the best villain in the franchise, I would say they're a very respectable one. Majora's Mask pretty much took skull kid's inner desires and behaviour quirks and magnified them to the point where he could live out his darkest fantasies. And then later on nintendo decided let's re-use this concept for Nihilego in pokemon when they made the antagonist for gen 7.

the skullkid is just some fuck
>>
>>382608791
Even then, Majora's mask is a shit villain because of the same reason: We barely know anything of it and it's just evil for the sake of being evil
>>
Skullkid's backstory is shown in a cutscene near the beginning in the game.

He was a sad, miserable fuck with no friends because he was an annoying little shit.
Tatl and Tael discovered him taking shelter during a storm and joined him, thus becoming friends.
Later they got mischievous and pulled prank of the Happy Mask Salesman and raided his possessions. He took the Majora's Mask and put it on, and immediately became corrupted under influence from the mask's dark magic, being manipulated to cause all kinds of destruction.

Essentially, Skull Kid isn't actually the villain, the mask is, using him as a puppet. We sympathize with him because he was a pathetic excuse for a living creature and for all the awful shit he went though when he wore the mask.
>>
He's the prophetic reincarnation (which is a theme throughout the Zelda series) of the Giant gods' friend who almost destroyed the world. Granny tells you the story at the Stock Pot Inn, and the character is fleshed out through background lore similar to Dark Souls.

This doesn't make him a good villain, but he is definitely a narratively sound villain.
>>
He's a good villain because you can sympathize with him
>>
Hes the only villain that destroys the world if you lose, theres even a cutscene
>>
>>382607959
It's mostly because of the game itself and how great its atmosphere is, the villain is not especially remarkable.
>>
>>382609065
>for the sake of being evil
Pretty sure the mask was created to harbor evil thoughts and desires and was able to manifest itself through Skullkid's pain and anguish from thinking all of his friends, the guardian things, abandoned him or something
>>
He's literally just a lonely kid with a ton of power.

The rule to a good villain is that from some point of view, they aren't evil.
The other usual villain in Zelda is "an ancient evil awakens" or "asshole evil desert dictator". Really the only other villain that is somewhat decent is Wind Waker Ganondorf because it gives a good speech of why he did what he did.
>>
1. He gives off a really fucking well executed sense of deranged menance
2. You actually see the impact he has on the world via all of the areas he's corrupted and people he's fucked over, and are constantly reminded of the danger he poses at all time thanks to the falling moon
3. The skull kid himself is relatable to a degree, and has sympathetic motives'
4. The mask, it's origins, and the game in gernal is intentionally mysterious in a memorable ways that makes wondering their backstory very entertaining
>>
File: 1480015373289.jpg (304KB, 2450x1634px) Image search: [Google]
1480015373289.jpg
304KB, 2450x1634px
>>382607959
He's threatening - he's already impacted the lives of most of the people you meet with his tricks and curses, his influence is everywhere you go and frequently hampers your progress without him even being there, and his casually menacing attitude while dealing with you personally makes him much more sinister. Also the fact that he destroys the whole world and you actually see it happen if you don't stop him.
What really helps though is that he's still kind of grounded. At the end of the day, he's just a kid that got in way over his head when he found the mask.

The mask itself is the bad villain. Sure it's creepy, but it's also kind of hard to take seriously once you arrive on the moon. You go through four dungeon segments that have no relevance to it, and then it elaborates on pretty much nothing and goes straight into the fight with you
>>
>>382609860

This, pretty much. It's not like he has a ton of backstory or lore, it's just that he's a tragic figure. A greater force is manipulating his loneliness and frustration to nuke everything and he doesn't really have control over it.

He's also inkeeping with the tone and themes of the game, which is important. Majora's Mask is sad, melancholic and unsettling, and Skull Kid reflects that.

It's not like he's the greatest villain ever or anything but it's not like he has a ton of competition in the other Zelda games. The fact that he's thematically appropriate and reflects the tone of the game is more than enough to elevate him about Ganondorf.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.