[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can't decide which to buy on the steam sale. Never played

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 3

Can't decide which to buy on the steam sale.

Never played Morrowind, but it costs £6.50 and Kotor is £1.75 and I am quite skint for money at the moment. Could also get Kotor II as well for less than Morrowind.

Played Kotor back when it came out, absolutely loved it but that was years ago and I was quite young so can't remember a whole lot about it so would be experiencing everything again quite freshly.

Opinions on which game is better or pros and cons of either appreciated! Also any detail on modding appreciated as I will be modding em.
>>
Both KOTORs. Morrowind just isn't very good and it's completely unplayable without extensive modding.
>>
>>382590957
Morrowind is much harder to get into than Kotor fyi.

Both are great classics.
>>
Morrowind

trust me
>>
>>382590957
Kotor now. Morrowind if you get money later.
>>
Not OP, but I tried to like morrowind many times and I wasn't able to.
I'm not saying that because of that it's a bad game, because I played New Vegas like 7 times before I "got" the game.
So I'm asking: how exactly Morrowind is fun?
I like that things don't scale with your level, but the thing that you hit something but the game pretends you didn't because of your stats it's just retarded and not fun.
The graphics are dated.
The Elder Scrolls never had a nice companion system.
You have to calculate what actions you do not just to obtain sucess, but to get good stats when you level up.
Worse of all is the wikipedia-dialog.

So I'm genuinely curious, how I enjoy it? What are it's strong points? How to avoid it's weakness?
>>
>>382590957
>paying for games that are older than a decade

m8, just pirate it
>>
>>382590957
One is a sandbox "a"RPG, while the other is a linear story driven RPG. Pick whatever you prefer.
>>
>>382591131
Incredibly wrong. Please kill yourself retarded child.

OP, don't buy Morrowind on Steam since it doesn't come with the construction set
>>
the writing, or at leat the dialog in KOTOR is cringeworthy as fuck, made me drop it after the first hub

Morrowind is difficult to get into but its really worth it, just mod the cliff racers out and you will be fine
>>
>>382590957
Pirate them both you dumbass
>>
>>382591765

>how i enjoy it"
If you dont' like to read, Morrowind isn't for you. Sorry m8

>how to avoid it's weak points?
Mods are you friends

>what are it's strong points
Imersion and the best story in any bethesda game. Once you master the the game mechanics it becomes a lot of fun. Because there's no compass you'll fell a lot more rewarded when you complete quests
>>
>>382592173
Is the mod named after jiub?
>>
>>382592173
I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed this. The dialogue is simplistic and sometimes outright childish.
>I want to be a Jedi Guardian!

It's a good game but there's way too much nostalgia around elements of that game that were clearly designed for twelve year olds. Even the major plot twist comes off this way.
>>
>>382592173
>mod out the cliff racers
Don't do this
>>
They're both honestly good. If you want a good linear story or like Scifi more than Fantasy, get KOTOR. I've never had a want to replay it but it was good back in the day. If you're someone who likes to read and can understand game mechanics like not using weapons you're not trained in, don't fight while tired, and don't try to fight bandits at level 1, get Morrowind. Morrowind has an easy installation mod out there on the Nexus with all the necessary bug fixes and quality of life enhancements. Maybe get a walking speed increase too.
>>
>>382591765
It's fun because it's an RPG with extensive world building and dialogue, tons of unique and interesting mechanics, and zero hand holding or restrictions on what you can do. You can even fail the main quest line but still complete the game. If you don't want to roleplay and are too young/impatient to get used to the graphics (which are just fine) and animations (which are admittedly bad) then pick a different game
>>
OP here, was leaning more towards KOTOR to begin with and this post has pushed me further that way although I'm still gonna dwell on it a little while as I've always feel like I missed out on Morrowind, having loved Oblivion to shit and enjoyed Skyrim quite a lot.

>>382591783
>>382592379

Not really into pirating games, used to all the time but now I get hard over how big my steam library is, not like they're very expensive anyway.
>>
>>382592394
I like to read, just not wikipedia-dialog.

If I was playing a sci-fi game or something and interacting with a computer and there was wikipedia-dialog, that would be fine.

But when talking to normal NPCs it feels completely disconnected. Feels like they are not "people", just access points to the game lore.

>Mods are you friends

Can you point the most basics to the problems I told?
>>
>>382592674

you're doing a good job of swaying me towards Morrowing tbf, like I just posted I've always felt like I've missed out on Morrowind so maybe I will go for it rather than Kotor.
>>
>>382592841
I never talked to normal NPCs. except for rumour quests.
>>
>>382590957
They are both pretty terrible but at least in morrowind you can actually be killed in combat and do some exploring

KOTOR is one long fucking corridor, it's impossible to lose, and the companions are pretty much all insufferable cunts except for canderous & T3
>>
File: 1498405469995.png (191KB, 351x351px) Image search: [Google]
1498405469995.png
191KB, 351x351px
>>382590957
Go with Morrowind. Its beutiful, well written, and fun to play. Also holy shit the mods. Yes there are issues. Mods can fix them if you so desire.

Kotor is a good game but holy shit Morrowind no contest.
>>
>>382592820
If you're in the position of needing to choose one or the other because of finances, they clearly are very expensive to you.
>>
>>382592125
Fucking wat? It doesnt?
>>
>>382593532
http://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/42196/?
Problem solved.

But buy the GoG version anyways.
>>
>>382592841
none of the things you stated are problems with the game.
-if you want to hit things then choose weapon skills and use the appropriate weapon class for your skills, and stop running out of fatigue.
-graphics are something you van get used to easily and are perfectly serviceable
-Morrowind doesn't really have actual companions, so that's irrelevant
-there is literally no reason to have to minmax in morrowind, nor do you need to calculate every action for a quest. you're not meant to do everything right your first time through. that's why the sequels got so dull in terms of roleplaying, they didn't punish you for anything ever and you can become the leader of everything in the world
>>
File: db3.jpg (69KB, 600x1175px) Image search: [Google]
db3.jpg
69KB, 600x1175px
>>382590957
ayy
>>
>>382593041
I will say that if you've never enjoyed old school RPGs like Baldur's Gate, Fallout 1 & 2, etc Morrowind will probably be a little more difficult to get into.
>>
If you're not willing to learn or adapt to anything at all then Morrowind is not the game for you. It's prided on its open endedness, and the fact it gives you only vague pushes forward towards the overarching goal. You're meant to get into the character you're playing and do things as that character. Set your own destinations and goals and help people that you see fit to help. It doesn't railroad you into quests and key areas like the sequels do, you're meant to find the things the game has to offer yourself.

If that's not for you then stick to more modern "RPG" games
>>
>>382593517
nah not really, just don't need to buy both because I wont play both right now so would rather spend my money on one.
>>
>>382593772
I haven't played Baldur's Gate but have recently played Pillars of Eternity and Divinity Original Sin quite a lot and I hear they're similar(ish), plan on getting round to Baldur's Gate but just not right now.
>>
>>382593656
I understand that I should choose a weapon that I the character have skill with, is not out of fatigue, etc, to increase my chance of actually hitting the enemy. But this doesn't change the fact that it feels stupid that I hit something and the game just tells me that I didn't. It would be fine if the attack did less damage, or the weapon would be harder to control (like in Deus Ex with the sniper rifle), but just saying that I didn't hit when I did is stupid and for me immersion breaking.

I don't think that the graphics are a big problem, but a game with beautiful landscapes and such can be fun because of it alone. Or it could help a lot, at least. Like Xenoblade for me. This isn't the case with morrowind.

And yes, Morrowind doesn't have companions, so it doesn't have good companions, so I can't have fun with the game through companions. Many RPGs have party relationships as one of the main sources of fun. It isn't the morrowind case.

The game doesn't "need" to have good graphics or companions to be fun, but it COULD be fun because of it, and it isn't the case. I don’t consider these problems, just “lack of qualities”.

The min/max thing may not be necessary, but it creates psychological pressure in me for me to do it.
>>
>>382594357
Morrrowind should be right up your alley then. Tip: don't stay around Seyda Neen, head to Balmora and join a guild for some easy quests and cash.
>>
>>382590957
get kotor 1 and 2
1 has plenty of mods, i didnt use many. for 2, you absolutely must use tslrcm (restored content mod)
>>
>>382594724
The missing more lies in the fact that the game doesn't have good animations, but yeah it could've been handled better. I still much prefer it to Oblivion though where ever though you hit every time each hit does 4% damage and you're forced to sit and flail your weapon forever. Equally as immersion breaking and bad feeling.

Morrowind DOES have great landscapes, being dated doesn't make them bad, it makes them old. And if that's a big concern for you then you can always mod the shit out of the game, but I personally prefer not to.

>>382594828
I don't think D:OS and PoE would be enough to ease someone into Morrowind, even they are both very "modernized" and streamlined in comparison
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.