[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>18 year old yes you underage faggots, games were better

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 11

>18 year old

yes you underage faggots, games were better back then. Its just how it is.
>>
File: raziel feels.png (94KB, 1445x695px) Image search: [Google]
raziel feels.png
94KB, 1445x695px
>Soul Reaver came out 18 years ago
>>
>hurr my childhood was better guiz

That game is clunky shit you nostalgia blind faggot
>>
Why is Raziel standing on Oogie Boogie's shoulders in this picture?
>>
I have vague foggy memories of watching my father play this game when I was about 5 or 6. It's always interested me but to this day I still haven't played it. What's the preferred way to do so? Emulator, steam version?
>>
>>382572365
Dreamcast.
>>
>>382570435
eh kind of. games becoming so huge stripped out a lot of the creativity and made everything more formulaic but modern games are objectively better made and have higher production value, which is huge.
>>
Soul Reaver is like the prototype Souls game.
>>
>>382572365
The Steam version runs fine for me. Original Soul Reaver was a pain in the ass at certain sections, though. It was in that awkward phase of gameplay where they were still about platforming and puzzle solving, but they hadn't figured out what to do with the camera or how to handle it.

These days it's more about the FPS scene, and the player is more on the rails. You're not supposed to be exploring the whole environment for clues to the puzzle - that's expensive - you're running down a linear but well-decorated corridor. It's not necessarily worse than it used to be, but it's definitely different and it's understandable to miss the old 3D puzzle platformers if you enjoyed that type of thing.
>>
>>382572486
thanks bro let me just boot my that dreamcast that I actually own.

>>382573551
i recall that being the gameplay style and it being intriguing. I'll try it soon.
>>
>>382572365
If Dreamcast emulation is good, emulate that version.
If not, emulate the PS1 version.
Avoid the PC version.

Also, the gameplay kind of sucks. There are definitely some clever puzzles, but for the most part it's just kind of plodding and boring. The block puzzles especially are fun conceptually but way too fucking slow.
You're mainly here for the atmosphere and writing.
>>
File: soul reaver block puzzle.jpg (14KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
soul reaver block puzzle.jpg
14KB, 480x360px
>>382573551
>People these days relentlessly shit talk about sliding block puzzles.

I found them kind of charming.
>>
>>382570435
Shit gameplay with a story riddled in plot holes.
>>
File: ioi.jpe.jpg (6KB, 306x203px) Image search: [Google]
ioi.jpe.jpg
6KB, 306x203px
>>382573551
I don't mind the linear trend existing, but I do not like how it extended to other genres.
>Finish encounter with enemies
>One NPC says "good job. Let's get going"
>Finished encounter in a large area
>Might be able to find something or see some neat stuff if I look around
>15 seconds in, "Come on, let's move"
>15 seconds again later, "Go to the next objective"
>Another 15 seconds, "We gotta go"
>Repeats indefinitely until the next objective marker is hit
>Worst part is that the game actually does have hidden secrets if you look around
>>
I preferred the top down first game.
>>
>>382573929
At it's face they weren't so bad. It's that there were SO MANY OF THEM. It really cracked me up how they talk about Raziel's incredible strength, and then he uses it to push so many boxes around. They could have hired Raziel to unload freight trucks.

There was one time I was playing in the bell tower and completed the puzzle that was supposed to unlock the path the Zephod, but the game glitched and the air current didn't appear. Frustrated because I'd been pushing boxes for hours, I hopped around and tried desperately to find an alternate route up. I did NOT want to restart the whole game because I didn't have a back up save.

Then lo and behold, I caused the game to glitch AGAIN and Raziel got stuck in a weird pose while gravity reversed and he slowly, sloooowly rose all the to Zephod's lair.

It's not often a game is buggy enough that you can solve a game-breaking glitch with a game-saving glitch.

I love the whole Legacy of Kain series, but I will be the first to admit it was not a perfect game.
>>
>>382574273
I feel you, my man.

>oh wow this game feels so vibrant and alive, the NPCs following me around are having conversations about their lives
>completely lose that sense of wonder as the NPCs continue to have the exact same conversation 20 times in a row.

I swear to god I don't want to play a video game and hear one more NPC say:

So..... what are you gonna do when all of this is over?

Ohh..... I dunno.... settle down.... buy a farm or something
>>
>>382574721
>There was one time I was playing in the bell tower and completed the puzzle that was supposed to unlock the path the Zephod, but the game glitched and the air current didn't appear. Frustrated because I'd been pushing boxes for hours, I hopped around and tried desperately to find an alternate route up. I did NOT want to restart the whole game because I didn't have a back up save.
Fucking hell, this happened to me too.

There was one time in one of the final dungeons (the one containing the boss you kill in the furnace), the game simply refused to allow me to pull the lever. I restarted the game and went back to the same location, and I could pull the lever again.
>>
>>382573551
So ITT we jerk each other off about the good old days and bitch about decade-old gameplay trends that have since been abandoned?
>>
How long til you post the link to your video, Ragnarox?
>>
@382575146

(you)
>>
>>382575146
I don't know if you can call it jerking off when you're talking about the birth of 3D gameplay. There were a lot of creative ideas being thrown at the wall because it was new and still affordable. Some of these games were legitimately tons of fun, but still flawed because they hadn't perfected things yet.

Modern games now run much better, but they follow a lot of patterns because the methdology has been figured out and the big companies that still live today would rather have safe bets than mold-breaking clusterfucks.

If you look at the original Blood Omen, even that's kind of interesting because it's a classic top-down 2D game, but it's goddamned massive because they had so much more space to cram the game into. Not limited by a cartridge, the made it huge.

I don't know if that's good or bad, but people appreciate the LoK series for a reason. It wasn't perfect but it was pretty cool in a lot of ways and it was definitely very unique.
>>
>>382570435
>30 something calling people underage faggots online over videogames
Nice
>>
>>382575620
>Modern games now run much better, but they follow a lot of patterns because the methdology has been figured out and the big companies that still live today would rather have safe bets than mold-breaking clusterfucks.
t. man who has not played a video game since 2007
>>
>>382577204
There are games still coming out that aren't following molds, but not from the AAA publishers. You don't expect to get ingenuity when you buy from them.
>>
File: russ palmed.jpg (85KB, 483x512px) Image search: [Google]
russ palmed.jpg
85KB, 483x512px
>>382578242
Okay buddy. Just go to /vr/.
>>
>>382570435
Soul Reaver was clunky as fuck and had a bunch of unintuituve backtracking where you hugged walls and tried everything on everything to progress
>>
SR1 sucks. SR2 and Defiance have much better stories.
>>
>>382570435
Fuck off gramps and thanks for beta testing an industry for us.
You suffered so we didn't have to.
>>
voices/dialogs of this quality just don't exist anymore in modern games

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LulD2kar9I&t=134s
>>
>>382578593
You are such an obnoxious little faggot.
>>
Still the greatest opening of any videogame.
>>
>>382579085
Don't get too worked up over it old man, wouldn't want you to have a heart attack.
>>
File: 1460252472187.jpg (27KB, 528x384px) Image search: [Google]
1460252472187.jpg
27KB, 528x384px
>Lol it's one of these threads agian, using exaggerated numbers
>Realize it's true
Holy fuck.

I already played actual horror games that were labelled as such as a kid but Soul Reaver really scared the shit out of me as a kid, the atmosphere is creepy as hell. Also the dark music and stuff. Couldn't get past Melchiah back then.
It still makes me kind of uneasy.
>>
>>382570435
I am 18 and yes you're right games were better 18 years ago, Even blood omen 2 is more engaging than your average ass creed game nowadays
>>
>>382570435
>normalfags claim that it's "just you" when the people who founded the studios of today all retired or bought out
>they claim vidya "has always been about money" despite the fact that the initial investors in vidya were either people genuinely passionate about games or people at least willing to take risks
>the vidya companies of today are run by greedy faggots who are rejects from the finance industry
I don't get it
Is corporate cocksucking just completely ingrained in your average person or are they so dumb they can't pay attention to who is actually making games?
>>
>>382580560
nice victim complex
>>
>>382570435
I remember playing the demo on PS1 to Soul Reaver as a kid and really liking it, I asked for my dad for it and he said no, instead he got Ninja Gaiden and we played that to the end.

That was closest I got to playing this series and from the looks of it, I missed out on something special.
>>
>>382580560
It's a thing related to buyer's remorse. People drop a good amount of cash on these games, buy consoles, and all that jazz. I remember seeing people defending Andromeda when it first came out because some of my friends pre-bought it. It was obvious the game was awful, so I remember giving them a few words of consolation about it to the tune of "it's not as bad as people are saying but some of these animations are pretty funny", and all my friends could do was nurse the wound of wasted money.

It's worse if they get into a "fandom". You meet a guy who teaches himself to draw by drawing Blizzard's old characters and that's a guy who's just going to suck Blizzard cock for life. If he doesn't like where the games go, he'll drift into a community where he still likes them and bury his head in the sand.

Or "enjoy himself" - it all depends how cynical your perspective is.
>>
>looking up reviews of the Reaver series on Steam
>none of them have controller support

fucking dropped
>>
File: rare.jpg (40KB, 576x1024px) Image search: [Google]
rare.jpg
40KB, 576x1024px
>try to do block push puzzle
>infinite spider vampires keep dropping down
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEDEMER AND DESTROYER
>>
>>382583226
I've played Defiance and SR2 with a controller. I don't know about SR1.
>>
I remember getting stuck at the mansion and somehow making a jump across pillars outside that wasn't intentional.
>>
>>382581161
How is describing the state of the industry a victim complex?
The initial investors in any field will be far more creative and willing to take risks than anyone who comes later, whether this be due to passion or just a general desire to risk take, this doesn't just apply to vidya.
>>
>>
>>382570435
>Nostalgiafags compare today's worse games with yesterday's best games
Really makes you wonder.
>>
File: 1296733500849.jpg (3KB, 126x126px) Image search: [Google]
1296733500849.jpg
3KB, 126x126px
>got the pc version
>it always crashes at an unskippable point

I just wanted to satiate my nostalgia lads.
>>
File: Raziel why.png (65KB, 1127x221px) Image search: [Google]
Raziel why.png
65KB, 1127x221px
>>382584331
>>
>>382574721
>SO MANY OF THEM

The attention span of the new age.
>>
>>382584189
>everyone around me is BLIND
>all these NORMALFAGS think I'm CRAZY
It's the way you presented yourself as the last bastion of sanity in a world gone mad.
>>
>>382572191
I see it.
>>
>>382584357
In fairness, when's the last time you played a game that made you get really excited to see the next installment and find out what's going on?

I've gotten that a bit with Don't Starve, but I think a lot of popular games are flash in the pan type things now. They're fun to play, but you're really not hinged on it and desperate for the sequel.
>>
>>382584357
>Pieces of shit with unbelievably bad gameplay.
>Good.
kek.
>>
LoK series was God tier when it comes to narrative. Nothing even comes closer, let alone compete with it. Underage faggots will deny it of course, I would too, if I knew I will never experience such a perfection in my whole life. You were either here when they launched or you lost. Sloppy seconds do not count. Back to niggerfield 1 faggots, mp is all you can handle. 50%+ of the vocabulary of the games is alien anyway so that's that
>>
>>382584730
The narrative is full of holes though?
>>
>>382584625
The Witcher series, Demon's Souls/ Dark Souls/Bloodborne, Wolfenstein: The New Order, Transistor, Dishonored, and Nier. What's your point?
>>
>>382584625
The game I finished literally today;
Evil Within.
Much better gameplay too.
>>
>>382584625
Tastes change as you grow and that's normal, a lot of people just look at older games through nostalgia googles without going back and noticing some huge flaws. Also for
>when's the last time you played a game that made you get really excited to see the next installment and find out what's going on?

Oh boy, I think it was Mass Effect 2. Although, most games I've played recently have been a lot of indie titles or JRPGs or games that just don't need a sequel.
>>
>>382570435
>tfw you're old
wish I could go back to my school days
>>
>>382584486

>PC verison
lel
You are better off emulating the psx version
>>
>>382584930
Like?
>>
>>382585708
When I got into my late twenties I passed the point of wanting that. Imagine going back to high school knowing what I do now, with the personality I have now. High school girls would be insufferable, being in class again is actually a reoccurring nightmare, and the only thing it would do is buy me more time to develop useful skills I'd like to have, what with having the knowledge which things are useful and which things are expensive and pointless.

I don't know about you, but if I went back to my school age days now, I'd be regarded as some kind of anti-social recluse who flirts with older women.
>>
>>382587457

>When I got into my late twenties I passed the point of wanting that.

I'm almost 30 and I still dream about it.
>>
Has anyone else listened to the full Soul Reaver theme by Information Society?
The dialogue is strange as hell.
>>
>>382587984
Yes, that whole album is kinda fucked up like that, I think they were high on drugs the whole time. But that album is great imo.
>>
>>382587675
Well okay, think about it this way: at this point you know what skills you want and what's useful, but even if you know it doesn't matter. There's a system in place and it's going to spend your time teaching you what it wants you to know.

When I was in college I went all the way to quantum mechanics, so being forced to take intro trig again would be wasting my time, but they'd make me do it anyway because a system doesn't care much for individuals. They're processing kids, all the kids, the whole of kids. I might get in a few "AP" classes, but definitely nothing at the level that actually serves my knowledge base.

There'd be opportunities to learn coding seriously and to invest in things that you know now were definitely going to succeed. But you'd have no social life and everyone around you would be trying their very hardest to hold you back because the system isn't designed to do anything with a thirty year-old in a fourteen year-old's body.
>>
>>382570435
Blood Omen is the better game by far. Soul Reaver is still pretty good, though. Soul Reaver 2 is where shit hit the fan -- with the game design and narrative both.
>>
>>382578746
michael bell, simon templeman and god bless his soul tony jay were the triforce of voice acting in this series
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWM_Vqh8qAg
>>
>>382589875
Defiance looks like shit compared to SR2
it's so strange
>>
The sound design of the games are pretty good too
>>
>>382589875
>"Tony Jay finishes the line"
>Simon Templeman: Hhhnnnnggggg... I-I need a bathroom break!
Me too
Thread posts: 72
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.