[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why has the Dragon quest series never taken off in the west like

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 9

Why has the Dragon quest series never taken off in the west like Final Fantasy did?
>>
>>382568072
Problems with marketing and the whole Dragon Warrior thing
>>
Because it's a shitty grindfest.
>>
>>382568072
Its the series we need, but not the series we deserve
>>
Japan prefers their JRPGs to be dark & brooding. They hate the lighthearted series so much that Squeenix sabotages every western release.
>>
>>382568072
It's got a shit battle system

I'm a grown ass man. I can't spend that many hours watching assholes stand in a line and mash the attack button. I don't have the patience for it. Maybe when I was 15 and played through jrpgs all day, but today? If I see my boys standing in a line, I hit the power button.
>>
>>382568387
why can Japanese players beta the games in a few hours than?

Skill > grinding
>>
File: boy_character-min.png (83KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
boy_character-min.png
83KB, 600x600px
>>382568072
Lack of advertising. I miss the Slime Knights website.........
>>
because us westerners are an ungrateful lot
>>
>>382568072
Not mature and edgy enough for the west.
>>
Because it's bland as fuck and never does anything different.
By the time it was first brought over it was outdated in the eyes of the rest of the world.
>>
>>382568072
But FF didn't anon... You may be a FF sucker but Chads are still playing NBA and 12Switch
>>
>>382568072
Everything about it is overdone. There's a reason I've heard more people know about even Bravely Default than Dragon Quest.
>>
It's boring as shit.
Is there ever anything vaguely resembling an interesting combat mechanic or character in the entire series?
>>
>>382569079

>Never does anything different

2 introduced multiple party members
3 added a class system
4 had chapters with unique gameplay styles, including a shop sim
5 had time skips, a marriage system, and monster taming
7 is just insanely large
8 pushed the series in 3D, introduced the alchemy pot
9 had multiplayer
10 was a fucking MMO
11 has multiple versions, including a retro 2D one

>never does anything different
>>
DQ games are virtually identical, aside from the occasional added gimmick like recruiting monsters, or a marriage system. That shit gets old fast.

Every FF game has a radically different character development system. Very few FF games share similar concepts, like the job system. And those that do at least go out of their way to throw some innovation into the mix.
>>
The first few didn't sell because it took too long to translate them.

Enix, later Square, just gave up after that.
>>
File: 1412183070410.jpg (30KB, 331x295px) Image search: [Google]
1412183070410.jpg
30KB, 331x295px
>>382568072
>Refusal to change traditions
>Outdated, medieval setting every time, every game
>Same character design every game (except IX and X) because they refuse to bring a new artists to design the characters or even the monsters
>Not taking itself seriously enough to tell a good story, but mocking itself enough to seem like a self parody
>Some heroes look generic and some even are just blank slates for players to self insert as the hero of the story
>The only impact they have in videogames history is being first at having common sense and sensible gameplay designs
>Boring "black and white morals" stories or plots filled with dumb plot twists to try to emulate the same surprise and innovation Dragon Quest III managed to pull off during its time
>Very hard to market outside of Japan because the game and cliches are toilered towards a japanese audience
>>
>>382568072
Has to do with the fact that Final Fantasy in the west grabbed most of it's market share when video games really got a foothold in the west in 96 thanks to the Playstation.

Dragon Quest on the other hand got popular in Japan because it got it's footing there when everyone was rushing out and buying Famicoms. Also, Toriyama.
>>
>>382569471
>2 introduced multiple party members
And it was almost identical to DQ1, except it actually ditched the nuances of the naming system that allowed you to customize your character's stats. Stats in DQ2 were completely tied to linear patterns.
>3 added a class system
And a day / night system. But the combat engine was otherwise identical to the first two games.
>4 had chapters with unique gameplay styles, including a shop sim
And it was incredibly regressive at that, as they not only ditched the ability to change classes, but they forced ally AI to be controlled by the computer.
>5 had time skips, a marriage system, and monster taming
Neither the marriage system nor the ability to recruit monsters made this game any less bland or grind-oriented.
>7 is just insanely large
Whoop di do
>8 pushed the series in 3D, introduced the alchemy pot
8 is the only truly innovative game in the series. Too bad you're stuck with the same four characters.
>9 had multiplayer
And it was forgettable at that.
>10 was a fucking MMO
Never localized.
>11 has multiple versions, including a retro 2D one
Is this game even out yet?
>>
>>382569158
The abomination that was FFXV sold 6m copies.
>>
Hows Dragon Quest Heroes 2?
>>
>>382570325
Final Fantasy got big in the west on the NES first
>>
>>382568629
Most people playing the games are not going to be utilizing speed-run strats on their first playthrough.
>>
>>382570505
We are talking about peek audience shifts. No one cared about video games in the west until the playstation.

http://nintendoeverything.com/square-enix-on-why-dragon-quest-hasnt-been-as-popular-as-final-fantasy-in-the-west-keeping-the-series-fresh/

> the question of why Final Fantasy is so much more popular than Dragon Quest in the west. One conclusion that we’ve reached is that it’s a question of historical timing. When the Famicom came out, Dragon Quest was the key game everyone was playing. But when the PlayStation came out, Final Fantasy VII was the game that everyone was playing. So the source of nostalgia is different for both groups: in Japan it’s Dragon Quest while overseas it’s Final Fantasy. The truth is that if we’d put a lot of effort into localising Dragon Quest at the time, we probably wouldn’t be facing this issue today. I probably shouldn’t be saying this, but we kind of messed up in that regard.
>>
While I love dragon quest, they have not changed their combat systems in forever. By now it's just kind of not-fun.

It wasn't until DQ8's charming character cast that the game series stood a chance but there was no advertising.

Also they won't give us DQMonster remakes in the west so fuck 'em.
>>
>>382568072
it isn't epic enough
>>
>>382568286
First post best post, and no replies.
The Final Faggots can't handle that.

>>382570968 sums it up best. Otherwise, Final Fantasy would have fizzled out by now.
>>
>DQ
>Very down to earth games without any major drama or gaudy spells and overly summons
>Visually rather cartoony bordering silly
>First person combat no silly dance specials or choreographed supers

>FF
>Melodramatic stories with attempted twists left and right
>Super gaudy and flashy with nearly everything that happens, with summoning animations lasting several minutes at its worst
>>
File: NerotheSable_Doc.png (176KB, 572x580px) Image search: [Google]
NerotheSable_Doc.png
176KB, 572x580px
Character designs I'm sure.
>>
>>382570485

better than the first one
>>
My favorite DQ game is unironically Monsters:Joker. I thought it was more fun than Pokemon was.
>>
>>382568072
Because no fucking story. Also Toriyama.
>>
>>382569079
>bland as fuck and never does anything different

thats the kind of games people in the west enjoy most though
>>
>>382568072
I just played the DQ Heroes 2 Demo and enjoyed it, but I remember saying the same for DQH1 and that was shit, is 2 actually good? It feels like an actual action DQ game.
>>
>>382568072
Because only one of them was released on PS2 in the West? Can't play what doesn't exist.

Bought DQ8. I did my part.
>>
DQ manages to be more boring than a persona game
>>
>>382571772
DQ8 did pretty well in the west.
>>
because people think it's dragonball
>>
>>382571925
And then they never released another game on Playstation ever again.
>>
>>382572003
Then DQ would sell amazingly in BR-america
>>
File: 45836.gif (25KB, 550x400px) Image search: [Google]
45836.gif
25KB, 550x400px
>>382568072
It couldn't even capitalize on toriama's art over here due to the localized dragon warrior covers.
>>
>>382568286
FPBP as per usual
>>
>>382571772

You know a game didn't do well when you've never seen a /v/ thread about wanting to fuck the horse princess.
>>
>>382572548
Who the fuck would want to fuck horsepussy
>>
>>382572079
>What is Dragon Quest XI and Heroes

>>382572003
They used that as a pull, albeit in a minuscule form.
>>
Very simple. Japan gets a consistent release and the West doesn't. We can go years without Dragon Quest then suddenly get a barrage of them building a fanbase. Then we suddenly get another blackout. Square needs to stop pulling this shit and make a decision. Do they want to release it here or not?
>>
Should i play 3?

The first one was okay.

The second one was also okay until the last place (i think it was called rhone) and i hated that part.
Who the fuck thought it will be fun to upgrade every fucking enemy to level 255 and increase the random encounters by 300%?
>>
>>382573617
3 is always fun for me in my opinion. Not only am I saving the day, I'm doing it with a team I chose, watching these guys go from nobodies into legends.
>>
>>382573043

No one knows, but that's how /v/ threads about games tend to work
>>
They're a more humerous Japanese take on Western cprgs like Wizardry and Ultima. The have simpler style of gameplay and a more lighthearted tone typically. They're like tetris or doom, just plain old fun.

/v/ is either too young or too jaded. We're at the point where we have shitters saying DQ is "uninnovative" (most games don't innovate) and play garbage like Neptune and Tales of without any complaint.
>>382573617
DQIII is arguably the definitive DQ and even jrpg. If it wasn't for Chrono Trigger I would say itvis the definitive game of it's genre.
>>
>>382573043
There's a srpg that was pretty infamous here as whenever it was brought up people would just post about fucking one of the units who was a centaur girl. Was on the genesis but forgetting the name.
>>
>>382573750
>>382574420
Great, i'll start it tomorrow.
>>
>>382568286
Would the name really be why? Final fantasy used to skip games and suddenly we went from 3 to 7. And it does fine here.
>>
>>382569079
>never does anything different
except its literally "The Simpsons did it" of jrpgs
>>
File: f774dfb874d959bef210041fe005cec8.jpg (618KB, 1233x760px) Image search: [Google]
f774dfb874d959bef210041fe005cec8.jpg
618KB, 1233x760px
>>382574420
>Sample
Don't do that.
>>
>>382574664
Shining Force
>>
>>382574798
DQIII is when the series really gets good, DQI and DQII don't even compare to DQIII.
>>382575000
Sorry friend and nice trips.
>>
>>382568503
This. This is the reason why I and many others cannot stand old style turn based RPGs, there's not tactics in it. There's no movement. No positioning. No skill required except, buff self, debuff enemy, attack.
>>
>>382573043
Me. Not only horsepussy though, the puffy ponut and mouth as well.
>>
>>382576103
>there's no strategy in it
Please inform us of games that you playednthat were like this. You would just come here to shitpost now, would you?
>>
>>382570485
Actually pretty damn good combat wise. I know it's gonna get a lot of blind hate from the turn based purists in this thread that cannot stand the idea of a game changing even though it's a spin off. I've had a lot of fun with it and all the characters seem viable to use in battle. The amount of AI in the warzones is pretty impressive too. There are a few times when you have to grind a few levels to stay up with enemies. The sheer amount of content in DQH2 actually surprised me, especially when I saw the maps for the first time and thought they were tiny until they started opening up. I haven't finished it yet, but I recommend it.
>>
>>382576396
I literally just described the games "tactics". prove me wrong.
>>
>>382573043
You haven't been to /b/ lately have you?
>>
Because FF has no real challenge till optional post game superbosses. Ezmodewesternstyle
>>
>>382573043
>bestiality
>>
>>382568072
Lack of marketing and a consistent presence in the west, a more cartoony and humorous art direction also doesn't help since the west loves realistic and gritty stuff more.
Moreover DQ, unlike FF, never rode on what's popular at the moment and always delivered the very same core experience, retaining its identity, which is both it's greatest strength and greatest weakness, FF keeps selling well because it reinvents itself in order to do so.

Basically, FF lives on one kind of the tried and true philosophy, it sells by reworking the stereotypical FF formula to match what's popular and successful at the moment to the point that many games feel and work differently, DQ live on the other kind of the tried and true philosophy, if it ain't broken don't fix it, so it stays fundamentally the same by adding some basic twists to spice up things but retaining the core formula throughout the series, with the weird exception of X.
Thread posts: 67
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.