[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>It's good, but not as an X game What the fuck kind

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

File: 1404528208396.jpg (18KB, 220x180px) Image search: [Google]
1404528208396.jpg
18KB, 220x180px
>It's good, but not as an X game

What the fuck kind of argument is this? I always see it for shit games in a series.
I've heard it plenty of times for MGSV and DMC, for example. What does it mean and how is it not retarded?
>>
>>382538539
"It has qualities but not the ones you'd expect/want from this franchise/genre and might lack the ones you would expect/want if you were a fan of the franchise/genre."
>>
Imagine if Pac-Man was called Tetris 2.
>>
File: 1487872205616.jpg (92KB, 800x999px) Image search: [Google]
1487872205616.jpg
92KB, 800x999px
>>382538539
The game is a good standalone game but disappointing or out of place when compared to the rest of the series, it's a very simple concept.
>>
>>382538539
Did you play MGSV? Have you played any other MGS game? This is self explanatory
>>
>>382538539
It's really not that complicated
>>
The acknowledgement that while it is a good game, it diverged from what are considered core elements of the franchise.
>>
>>382538539
>Its good, but its not Japaneses
>>
>>382538539
On it's own merits it's competent, but as a continuation of a series it underperforms or completely changes the format to the point of it not feeling like a member of the series anymore.
>>
File: 1487975539969.png (19KB, 377x434px) Image search: [Google]
1487975539969.png
19KB, 377x434px
>game X does the same thing game Y does but better
>hurr what kind of argument is dis?
>>
>>382538539
When something shares a name with an established product people have expectations that it will be extremely similar to the already established product.

The problems come in to play because of publishers and investors. They are retardedly scared of new IP's. So they may like the concept of a game but are to afraid to back it on its own. So they give the developers an ultimatum to give their game a new coat of paint and a new title so they can ride that IP. The consumer will see that coat of paint and the name and assume its just another installment of that IP. They will buy it off that expectation. When the game is way to different people get upset. 1. People are upset because they wanted more of the original IP. 2. People can see what happened and look at the mechanics and they realize how good it COULD have been if it was a new IP and not constrained by the IP its linked to. This creates the duality of the game being good and bad. Its a bad game compared to the IP its borrowing from but if you look at it on its own you can see that its not a bad game.

This also happens when developers want to make a new game but are to afraid to just make a new game. You can see this with the Dawn of War games. Every fucking installment is a different fucking game yet share the same name. This creates problems because people who start playing with different installments use that installment as their measuring stick for judging the others. When the installments are so radically different from each other its very hard to judge them against each other.
>>
>>382538539
Retard
>>382539848
Not Retard
>>
>hey lets make a game and attach an IP that has nothing to do with the game for marketing
t. mafia 3 and AC: black flag
>>
>>382538539
I like the game but still want to shitpost.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.