[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

When did unfinished games being released became accepted by the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 4

When did unfinished games being released became accepted by the public? When did it all go wrong?
>>
>>382535359
When online started to become more prevalent in gaming.

So somewhere around when Steam was first launched.
>>
compare MGS V to the crappy games we bought on the SNES for $70...
>>
>>382535540
You mean like Super Metroid?
>>
Fuck off
>>
>>382535359
When we continued to pay 60$ per game despite inflation ballooning budgets.
>>
>Game has open beta
>Everything is a gigantic fucking bomb site infested with bugs and connectivity issues
>Full game gets released a week later
>It's basically the beta again but this time you paid for it
T-Thanks Ubisoft
>>
>>382535359

Coincided with "DLC", rather than expansion packs. Honestly, it's like the other anon said - it's the Internet and online capability. It allows devs to half ass a project and update it later.
>>
>>382535596
Exactly.
Super Metroid is simple game that an indie developer with a handful of programmers could push out in 6 months.
MGSV isn't.
>>
File: noriko.jpg (39KB, 640x460px) Image search: [Google]
noriko.jpg
39KB, 640x460px
Fuck off, many games back then had translation errors and not even a real ending, just an ending screen with "Your a winrar" because they just sloppily ported the arcade versions which were laid out so that you never actually win, which was obviously easier on the home console.
I love all games and so would you if you actually were alive to know what it was like back then.
>>
File: greenlight.jpg (84KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
greenlight.jpg
84KB, 1280x720px
>>
>>382535359
Pretty much all Steam early access bullshit being allowed. That combined with all the online indie money begging.
>>
>>382535359
When we started being okay with it.
Same reason Day 1 DLC exists.

People don't get the concept of voting with their wallets, they just see a streamer playing a game and go out and buy it.
>>
>>382535359
Around the time where Microsoft released Xbox Live Gold.
Once publishers caught on that they could get money for doing nothing they followed suit.

Release game intact for $60 bucks:
>Company doesn't get more income from gouging the consumer
Release game dissected for $60 bucks, and charge $20 for a Season Pass:
>Company benefits from gouging the consumer.
>>
>>382535359
Steam and late-stage capitalism
this never would have happened if we stuck with early-stage capitalism
>>
>>382535359
when Mineycrafta came out
>>
>>382535813
And it's somehow better.
>>
>>382536092
I agree with you so let me ask you a question, would you be okay with devs charging $90 upfront for a finished game or the current model of $60 unfinished game + $30 "DLC"
>>
So many underage kids , who never played old games to see how fucking bugged they where.

Someone here remembers Deus Ex 1 on release day?

Jesus fucking christ was that shit bugged and because most of us didn't have internet at that time we had to go and buy PC magazines where they include a CD with patches of popular games.
>>
>>382536092
this is why I never played another Halo after what they did with 2 and 3 aka 2 and 2.5

>>382536217
sure, at least then I'd get to play it all too, because I refuse to buy dlc or return to games I've already moved on from
>>
>>382535359
When millennials like you started buying Early Access bullshit and throwing money at kikestarter projects.

Everybody born in 1990 and later should be gassed.
>>
>>382536316
bugs are different from lack of content, maybe you don't understand the point of this thread?
>>
>>382536517
If a game has game breaking bugs its unfinished.

Simple as that.
>>
>>382535840
This
Games was shit as they were today
Do people here not watch AVGN?
>>
>>382535359
when publishers kept repeating the lie that it was a good thing for so long that impressionable children grew up into indoctrinated adults who heard it for the larger part of their conscious life who now propagate it willingly.

There is no abrupt point at which it happened, it is a slow process.
>>
>>382536592
HE'S GONNA LET YOU FUCK HIS WIFE'S ASS
>>
>>382536795
AND WATCH HOW YOU FUCK HIS WIFE IN THE ASS

HE IS THE ANGRY KEK
>>
>>382536575
but they created the content, the issue people here are talking about is making half a game or even worse making a full game then locking some of it like street fighter and destiny did.
>>
>>382536316
>Jesus fucking christ was that shit bugged
No it wasnt.
>>
File: on_color_large.png (25KB, 310x310px) Image search: [Google]
on_color_large.png
25KB, 310x310px
>>382536795
>>382536842
>>
>>382536904
I hope you are fucking kidding from crashes to literally AI not working or hits not registering.

If I would go back to my parents house I am sure I could still find my old magazine with the CD and patch notes.
>>
>>382535359
2002/2003

Unreal Championship wasn't savaged by the public, the media and players for releasing a console game that actually needed patching. This gave devs and publishers the impetus they needed to cut corners in order to release on time.
>>
Gen 6 when Micro$hit started pioneering all these terrible anti consumer business practices.
>>
>>382536575
Never encountered any game breaking bugs in DX and I got it the week of release.
>>
MVP development
>>
>>382537628
please go google little bit and check the old forums how much people did complain.

http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6801

Here is just 1 that I had too and that was even after the patch.
>>
>>382537907
>some people had a problem ergo everyone did

Worked fine on my system.
>>
When the public collectively voted with their wallets in favour of early access to broken games.
>>
File: image.png (2MB, 1024x2023px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
2MB, 1024x2023px
We all know what it ultimately culminated in, OP
>>
>>382535359
Since video games started releasing.

You know all that cut content you see in some webpages?
Why couldn't the devs add it?

The only difference with today is that other than cut content they decided to also cut up some more to sell as DLC.

But nothing ultimately changed.
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.