[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>1997 >can rent games and vidya systems >can mod games

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3

File: blockbuster.png (413KB, 640x430px) Image search: [Google]
blockbuster.png
413KB, 640x430px
>1997
>can rent games and vidya systems
>can mod games
>no DLC
>no microtransactions
>new and original games everywhere
>loads of great free mods and flash games
>2017
>have to buy games and systems - no renting
>most games ban mods
>DLC everywhere
>microtransactions everywhere
>rehases and sequels everywhere
>games that would be a free mod or flash game are now sold for $40 on steam

Where did things go so very wrong?
>>
But anon - isn't video games becoming more mainstream and commercial a good thing? Doesn't that mean that more devs will make games, because making games is known to make money? Can't you afford these games? There is no better time to be a dev- or a fan of video games than now.
>>
>>382519246
In 1997 there was almost no games with mods. Not that you could even download them because few people had internet. Renting consoles was like 20 bucks a day. You'd have to be retarded to do that instead of buying one. Same with renting a game for 7 dollars a day when ps1 games cost 40 new and 20 or so used. Flash wasn't even a fucking thing back in 1997
>>
>daily blockbuster thread
No, fuck this shit. Go distill your autism elsewhere you stunted fuck.
>>
>>382519246
>>have to buy games and systems - no renting

You can rent games at RedBox actually.. and some smaller video rent stores (they still exist, but not as much as back then).

But yeah, everything is all about money now. What you used to get as game unlocks back then now you have to buy as a microtransaction or season pass. I blame this jewery on a mix of the videogame industry becoming too big, and videogames becoming too costly too produce. Not even $60 is enough to cover the cost of massive AAA games it seems, so companies have to get the money back by jewing people in other ways.

Videogames will never be just a niche nerd hobby like it was back before the 7th generation.
>>
i wish it was feasible for smaller companies to maybe make games for a generation back that could be crammed out quickly but can still be fleshed out enough to be good. maybe less ambitious titles that could jalso be sold on the eshop or psn network
>>
File: 1427779193540.gif (935KB, 300x210px) Image search: [Google]
1427779193540.gif
935KB, 300x210px
>>382519246
>no DLC
>no microtransactions
>new and original games everywhere

This right here is why there will never be another golden age of gaming.

People think a golden age is made of just good games, but it's not. There have been good games since then, but never have we been free of shitty practices and interruptions from immersion and good gameplay to be told "YOU DIDN'T GET ALL THE CONTENT YOU SELFISH WHORE".

See, the golden age of gaming was when we had not only great games, but a vast array of styles of game that were ALSO great and we had no DLC/microtransaction BS and we were given full games (weren't told to buy the season pass, pay early access, get the update, etc.). AND the industry was full of developers and publishers that knew their fucking place. They knew what they were there for and cared about what they were doing. They didn't try to make the entire experience break just to push the game closer to a fucking marketplce. No, in the past the game was separate from the transaction. In the past, once you bought the game, you were left with a REAL product. You had a good game case, made sturdier before, and great extras (no extra cost) as well as a hefty instruction booklet that even bothered to have a notes section.

You got the package and by god the fucking devs/pubs were fucking appreciative of their fanbase/buyers. None of this "thanks for everything, guys" shit on the steam forums. Their actions spoke more than their fucking words; And you knew they cared because their game showed it. That's kind of the problem in general with this generation of gaming. Everyone thinks words are enough. Nobody wants to put that shit into action. Gamers put up with shit that they shouldn't and don't back up their complaints. Devs/pubs say how thankful they are as they greedily just reach back into your wallet for one last dosage of that sweet sweet coin. The whole damn industry sucks.
>>
>>382523883
>that even bothered to have a notes section.

I remember those.. do people really used those? I never understood the purpose of that "Notes" page.
>>
>>382524326
I did for Mortal Kombat back when they didn't tell you shit.

Also, some older adventure games had fuck all for maps. So it was good to jot shit down.

And for games like Glover and Resident Evil 2 with button command cheat codes, I would write them down there in case I ever wanted them again.
>>
>>382524432
>Resident Evil 2 with button command cheat codes

What?
>>
>No Renting

what about gamefly?
>>
You forgot about demos
>>
>flash games
>1997

Boy you are retarded.
>>
>>382519246
you forgot to add 1982
>millions manufacturers, producing similar consoles
>trillions of space invaders rip-offs
>bad built quality

any industry goes in waves, you just have to wait until the current scheme collapses on itself
>>
File: 1493097649557.png (8KB, 112x112px) Image search: [Google]
1493097649557.png
8KB, 112x112px
>things were better when i was a kid

inderasteng premess OP
>>
I can walk 9 minutes to my nearest blockbuster to rent a game.
Where do you live op?
>>
>>382528109
>implying he was even born in 1997
>>
>2017
>Open up steam
>Buy a grand shitload of good games for less than a regular meal on a decent restaurant
>Use the workshop to browse and download a bunch of mods
>Play for a while
>Use the several indie hosting websites to download for fantastic indie games made with the most original ideas
>Have a lot of fun
>>
>>382519246
>1997

Found the millennial hipster that has no idea what he's lying about. Stick to your autism simulators, you mentally ill retard.
>>
>>382519246
>>loads of great free mods and flash games
In fucking 97? You can fuck off with that crock of shit.
>>
>>382528617
Not enough demos.
>>
>>382519246
>no renting
What is gamefly and redbox you stupid motherfucker
>>
>>382519246
Greed and control
>this applies to everything wrong in society.
>>
>>382519246
>paying 8 dollars to rent a game for three days when you can pay 60 and own it for life
>>
>>382519246
>1997
>flash games
You're retarded.

Also the reason we got bunch of special snowflakes games back then is caused no other than development cost don't cost as much as today. Back then, their audience did not have unrealistic high standard, so it is possible to make game with very small team with manageable cost which also translate to chance to try something new and unique without too much worrying about the game didn't sell well.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.