[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/v/ what total war game should i get? in your opinion which

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 7

/v/ what total war game should i get? in your opinion which is the best/most fun
>>
>>382511230
Rome 2

Then buy Attila
>>
>>382511426
how's shogun/shogun 2
>>
>>382511426
dont listen tho this anon, buy warhammer after rome 2
>>
>>382511452
Shogun 2 and the fots expansion are fantastic. One of, if not the best tw game to come out.
>>
>>382511452
I was trolling, don't buy either of those.

Honestly the best would be

>Rome 1
Dated but really good

>Medieval 2
Really a must buy

>Napoleon
It's the best one with guns

>Shogun 2
I liked it, I bought it on release but the online is kinda crappy

Avoid

>Rome 2
Absolutely 100% dog shit

>Atilla
Unfinished

>Empire
It's not terrible but they fixed every wrong with it in Napoleon

>Warhammer
I got bored of it really quickly, plus a new one is coming out already so might as well wait

I haven't play first shogun
>>
File: 1487785273967.png (48KB, 853x543px) Image search: [Google]
1487785273967.png
48KB, 853x543px
Rome 1 is the best classic game.
Shogun 2 is the best modern game, followed shortly by Attila.
Warhammer is something totally different but also very good.
>>
>>382511527
>>382511692
>>382511773

you're not making this easy on me. it seems like shogun 2 or rome 2 is going to be my first choice though. is the dlc worth it for either of those?
>>
>>382511230
Medieval 2.
Rome 1.
Total Warhammer.
>>
>>382511889
Seriously don't buy Rome 2
Shogun 2 is good, dlc are worth it

Are you going to play single player or online?
>>
>>382511889
In the end the setting is probably what matter most. But you could always go for the early, cheap ones if you're ambivalent.
>>
>>382511989
probably just single player, i have enough online games. i'm just looking for stuff to play when i wanna do my own thing mostly
>>
>>382512134
Shogun 2 then
>>
Go the setting you prefer.

Ultimately, don't buy if you want combat. The A.I. for your army and the enemy is retarded. If you want to nig people via politics and what not go for it (but at that point there are way better sims).

But jump ship ASAP. This series becoming jew-y as fuck - Warhammer being 40 bucks even though a "new game" / expansion with more dlc to buy to get ur stuff back is coming in Sept. They're selling half games and selling the rest per $15 DLC - Warhammer is currently a $100 game for full experience.
>>
>>382511230
Warhammer is the most fun, because it has the best battles, including sieges. The Empire management part might be simplified, but you're better off playing Paradox shit, if you want that sort of gameplay in the first place.
>>
>>382511230
Rome1, Med2, Shogun 2, Attila. Warhammer
>>
>>382512284
also shogun 2 is probably the worst offender of A.I.

Raiding those gook castles is hell.
>>
>>382512356
Why Attila? Never tried it
>>
>>382511426
This nigger has it wrong. Attila is god tier. Rome 2 is hot shit.

Shogun 2 and WH for beginners and Shogun 2 is easily in the top tier
>>
>>382512521
Atilla does everything Rome 2 does, but better. My only complaint is that I like Rome 2's historical period better. I get sad watching the empire crumble to the eternal kraut.
>>
>>382512742
Play best empire and save it.
>>
File: WH vs Rome&Attila.png (265KB, 754x467px) Image search: [Google]
WH vs Rome&Attila.png
265KB, 754x467px
>muh Rome
>muh Attila
>people don't play TW games for the combat, I s-swear!
>>
File: 1492653018177.png (227KB, 356x272px) Image search: [Google]
1492653018177.png
227KB, 356x272px
>>382512974
I really liked Attila, unfortunately I don't think future games will adopt any of it's mechanics.
>>
>>382512974
Warhammer has legions of mouthbreathing fans that wouldn't necessarily play a TW game.

>>382512868
I liked being the young upstart Rome that kicked Carthage and Greece's shit in.
>>
alternatively, are there better war sim games? i have civ 5, kinda on the fence about 6. is there something different that you guys would recommend?
>>
>>382513231
What's wrong with Warhammer fans, exactly?
>>
>>382513235
If you like the strategic map mode better than the battlefield one, go for the Paradox games. If you like the battle map mode better, stick with TW or an RTS. Civ V is great, Civ IV is amazing, Civ VI is garbage right now. Wait till they release a full expansion for it to be fixed slightly.

>>382513383
Nothing, it's just they inflate the numbers of the game. It TW:WH isn't better than Atilla or Shogun II.
>>
They all suck after medieval 2. The new engine made melee fighting look like shit. The old engine made melee fights look realistic.
If you're going to buy the new games after medieval 2 get Napoleon Total War, because the game is mostly ranged based combat, so is Empire.
So the best and most fun is Rome 1 and Medieval 2.
>>
>>382512521
>Why Attila?
1) It's basically fixed Rome2
2) Dark Ages
>>
>>382513506
>The old engine made melee fights look realistic.
>forced 1v1 fights in formation
>realistic

If anything, the new engine made the fights more realistic, because units no longer fight 1v1, you are retarded.
>>
Fall of the Samurai
>>
>>382513626
Are you fucking kidding me? Lance, stop being such a faggot, there is no forced 1v1 in the old engine. That's what the new engine brought to the table and that's why I'm saying it's shit for melee combat.
>>
File: 1494345753546.jpg (33KB, 845x435px) Image search: [Google]
1494345753546.jpg
33KB, 845x435px
>>382513504
>it's just they inflate the numbers of the game
Yeah, how dare fans of RTS (DoW1), RTT (DoW2) and TBS (space hulk) play a game that combines all these genres together!
>>
>>382513757
>Lance, stop being such a faggot, there is no forced 1v1 in the old engine
AHAHAHAHAHA

>That's what the new engine brought to the table
>when units in TWWH with perks like anti-infantry or anti-large are specifically able to attack multiple units in enemy formation
AAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
>>
File: 1492795402646.jpg (5KB, 225x187px) Image search: [Google]
1492795402646.jpg
5KB, 225x187px
>>382513757
>Lance
Who are you talking to, m8?
>>
Most of the other anons are fucking retarded.

I've played all TW games except napoopan and empire, so I can't talk about those. But there are basically two types of Total War games. Pre Shogun 2 and post Shogun 2.

So here's the flowchart for ya.

If you want realistic/immersive Total War, you get Medieval 2 and install Europa Barbarorum.

If you want a game designed for the new generation of gamers with no pretense of realism, full of level-ups and research trees, you get Warhammer Total War. It's basically the same as Shogun 2/Rome 2/Atilla, except along with the pretense of realism in game mechanics they threw away the realism in setting. All of the honestly retarded game design decisions made post Shogun 2 are much easier to swallow in a fantasy setting.
>>
>>382513763
I'm not saying that it's a shit game, I was just telling OP if he isn't a WH fan and wants the best modern TW game, he should pick Atilla or Shogun II.
>>
>>382513959
You were saying that WH fans only play TWWH because it's fucking WH and were shown to be wrong. WH fans are also fans of RTS, RTT and TBS genres, and these genres are the constituents of any TW game. Unless you actually prove that the success of TWWH lies squarely on the shoulders of WH fans, you have no leg to stand on, because these same WH fans are no strangers to strategy games and have had no reason to not play the previous TW games.
>>
>>382513231
>Warhammer has legions of mouthbreathing fans
>this is what hisfags believe
rome 2 and attila is the exact same
>>
>>382515742
>rome 2 and attila is the exact same
Can you elaborate on this? Did Attila suffer the same torrent of accusations from Rome fans as TWWH is enduring now?
>>
>>382511230
buy warhammer, then pirate the dlc.
>>
I thought that Rome 2 EE was better than Attila as far as optimization assuming hardware being equal?

I think Medieval 2 with Stainless Steel or Rome 1 with EB are best. Shogun 2 is great, but the AI is a total fuck sometimes.
>>
>>382516571
Wh vanilla is shit, buy it, pirate the DLC and then dowload radious mod that adds dozens of more unique units.

There is a new WH game comming out but it will be more of an expansion than a sequel, it will literally be compatible with the first one and expand the campaign map if you have both games, they are just calling it a sequel so they can charge full price.
>>
File: 14974706867690.jpg (20KB, 300x224px) Image search: [Google]
14974706867690.jpg
20KB, 300x224px
>>382516749
>dowload radious mod
>>
>>382516749
>radious
ah yes, I love Halberdier (great weapons) Pegasus Chaos Spearmen.
>>
>>382513132
What mechanics did you like?
>>
>>382516624
Agreed on the optimization issue, the big thing for me tho is that I'm not a fan of some of Attila's mechanics and the general theme.
Med 2 with it's crazy amount of mods, including very high quality ones, keeps bringing me back.
Personally I think Shogun 2 and FotS has some of the better working CAI mostly due to having a very straightforward campaign map, the BAI sucks in every TW title I can remember anyway.
>>
Must buy
Rome , Shogun 2

Very good
Medieval 2 , Warhammer

Good
Attila, Medieval, Napoleon

Shit
Rome 2, Empires

Medieval and Shogun are kind of outdated tho

and a word of warning: Atilla runs like shit
>>
>>382511230
For new Total War players, there are only 3 you need:

Shogun 2, Attila, Warhammer. Medieval 2 is debatable, but worthwhile if you are interested in the fuckton of mods.

Shogun 2 is a great entry point into the series. It has the best polish of any total war game and is very fun and simple to understand (most units are very obviously rock/paper/scissors).

Attila is what Rome 2 should have been. Don't listen to the nerds here, every total war fan agrees attila is probably the best historical total war game that has been released since Rome. Go ask total war general and they will all agree. Age of Charlemagne is a great DLC/expansion pack, too. Attila is also the hardest Total War out of all of them; the campaign AI is ruthless in fucking up undefended cities and you actually have to think about public order/sanitation in cities, unlike most other total wars. Sieges are fucking awesome in this game.

Warhammer is very simplified in the campaign, but it has a very fun and diverse battle system. Lots of races, magic is cool, and a semi-interesting hero system. The sieges are garbage, but there's lots of high-quality steam workshop support to make sieges passable and fun.

Medieval 2 is a great game, but will feel dated if you have never played total war before. That goes for Rome 1 as well. Rome 2 is garbage.

Gunpowder games are okay. Napoleon is good, Empire is just meh.
>>
Not OP but I was wondering about this too. Shogun 2 + DLCs or Shogun 2 FoTS + its DLCs?
And is multiplayer alive in either of them?
>>
>>382518392
both are great, really depends on what theme you prefer: medieval era combat or gunpowder

you can go with medieval era stuff in FotS, but really that game is all about the modernization of Japan

no idea how mp is looking these days, I imagine there's still ppl around playing
>>
>>382518115
>The sieges are garbage
No. The sieges are the best in the franchise.

Sieges in previous TW games: bring artillery and you're able to destroy castle walls and shoot at the defenders with impunity, since the castle defenders cannot outrange your artillery.
Sieges in Warhammer: bring artillery to the fight and see it outranged by the defender castle wall artillery, since their artillery has an elevation and, thus, a range advantage.

It's till possible to destroy castle wall artillery in TWWH via your own, if you use your brain and abuse the AI, but it's much harder than in any previous TW game where sieges were an utter joke unless you were assaulting the enemy with an army of bums and no artillery.
>>
>>382511773
>the online is kinda crappy
it was the best in the series, shame it's dead
>>
>>382513951
>total war
>ever realistic
>>
>>382518115
>>Gunpowder games are okay

Ironically, the best gunpowder game is Shogun 2 FoTS
>>
>>382511230
just buy a game based on which setting you like more, they are all pretty good, R2 is kinda crap, especially vanilla though and Empire is buggy as fuck, but can still be enjoyable EMPIRE 2 FUCKING WHEN CA?!

my favourite is Attila, but its probably not the best choice as a first total war game, and its pretty controversial
>>
>>382512974
>the newest entry has the most players
WOW what a shocking revelation, also warhammer fans are starved for any decent vidya considering that everything with warhammer in its name is usually complete fucking shit, especially now that GW has killed the fantasy setting of
>>
Get whatever one has a setting you find interesting. M2 and Empire require mods to be good. The only unsalvageable game is Rome 2. Ignore the retards who trash M2, it has the best mods by far. Worth playing for them alone.
>>
>>382511230
Rome 1 and/or Medieval 2
And then you play the excellent mods for those games forever
>>
I just bought Napoleon and Attila because of this thread.

I hope you faggots don't disappoint me again
>>
So I bought TW: Warhammer on the steam sales lately and it turns out I'm shit at this game

I loved the old TW: Rome game way back and Heroes of Might and Magic III as a kid, but for some reason I can't win any battles that aren't completely one sided in this one. Why am I so shit, /v/? Advice on how to win fights abusing flanking, how the charge mechanics work, why my arches seem to do no damage etc
>>
I just can't enjoy any game on the new engine
I can't even pinpoint why
>>
>>382518115
this shitty logic
>rome 1 should be a barbarian invasion addon from the start
Are you retarded?
>>
>>382521683
what faction are you playing as? who are you fighting, what is your army composition and what is theirs?

>>382521283
Attila is great, Nappy is fun too, but honestly kinda limited, I played it for about 20-30 hours to do the campaigns and then started playing empire, nappy does have the best MP in the series though, a shame that most people playing it have been doing so for years and will wipe the floor with you
>>
>>382521683
Just start by playing the dwarven campaign, you literally can't lose that one.
>>
>>382521062
>everything with warhammer in its name is usually complete fucking shit
Mordheim and Vermintide are great, you're fucking retarded, and WHTW is the best TW game.
>>
>>382525303
thats just 3 games in a sea of crap, just search warhammer on steam and you will see dozens of garbage games
>>
>>382525303
>Mordheim
decent game
>vermintide
shitty L4D clone
>total warhammer
a decent game

wow, 2 decent games out of like 50
>>
>>382526085
Vermintide is great, you've obviously never even played it.

Also, Warhammer != WH40k.
>>
>>382526472
>you've obviously never even played it.
>510 in game
neither has almost anyone else it seems
>>
>>382526963
I love it when shitposters accidentally prove peoples points for them
Thread posts: 71
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.