[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do games these days need to be so massive and sprawling and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

File: 8566666.png (3MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
8566666.png
3MB, 1920x1080px
Why do games these days need to be so massive and sprawling and take place in endless open worlds? It seems like 50 hrs is miminum otherwise everyone starts bitching. I feel so exhausted by these giant games with million boring things to do. Why can't games just have 10 hours of excellent, focused gameplay? It would lower production time and improve quality and replayability, most people don't even finish their games so there's no financial downside.
>>
>>382460067
Because normies are retarded.
>>
File: Adventure_Box_Front.jpg (25KB, 270x376px) Image search: [Google]
Adventure_Box_Front.jpg
25KB, 270x376px
I chuckled at this because I imagined some raging autist in the past crying the same thing.
>>
>>382460067
How about start playing nintendo games?
>>
>>382460067
its easier to throw a million collectibles on the map and bunch of repetitive quests and call that content than it is make a focused game like you want.
>>
>>382460067
Because it's easy to sell. Now that graphics have peaked you can't just say 'MUH GRAFIXXXX' and shit out an 8 hour game. People won't fall for it unless it's something like Prey. So "open world" is now the new carrot to convince a generation of normalfags that your game is impressive and worth $60 in a few soundbytes.
>>
File: mogurogonesouth.gif (3MB, 379x286px) Image search: [Google]
mogurogonesouth.gif
3MB, 379x286px
>>382460067
Normies can't into basic game mechanics
>can't shield in Smash
>can't go fast in Titanfall
>can't fucking drift in any kart racer seriously how do you not learn to do this?
I could go on but basically devs saw empty-ass GTAV and Skyrim succeed and that was it, apparently normies love long travel times and arbitrary crafting and 'harder' (recolored with more health and damage) enemies.
>>
>>382460067
Because you, /v/, and reddit insisted on spamming

>8 HOURS

all over the internet every time a short game came out
>>
>>382461043
It's not even like short games are bad so long as they're fun enough that you'll want to replay them or have more content outside of the story mode.
>>
>>382460067
>Hurr durr i don't want my game to be long, i want to spend 60 bucks for playing just for 3 hours
How about you go fuck yourself, you trash weeb? There's literally nothing wrong in having a long durable experience with tons of content and wide open spaces with detailed environments. It has been the wet dream of gamers for years and now that we have them you want to go back playing shitty platformers with fake lenght gimmicks like playing a second time or making the game insanely difficult?
>>
>382461870
your post is so bad its not even worth a (You)
>>
>>382461870
How are pointless collectibles and empty open world's not fake length gimmicks? Just because it's open world doesn't meant it can't have stupid gimmicks to unnecessarily increase the length of the game?
>>
>>382460067
Skyrim sold well didn't it?
If it bothers you so much just don't play open world games, then.
>>
>>382460067
It's the only way to make single player games appeal to casual scum. Most people use the $1/hr metric for games so they won't buy an 8 hour single player game anymore even if it's amazing.
>>
I have fun with them. I put over 100 hours into games like witcher 3, persona 5, yakuza 0, etc. That's not to say I don't enjoy shorter games, though.
>>
>>382460357
I never did beat this on anything but the easiest setting
The dark mazes are confusing
>>
>>382461870
>if it's not one extreme it has to be the other
>implying every game has to cost $60
Fuck off retard
>>
>>382460067
>It would lower production time and improve quality and replayability, most people don't even finish their games so there's no financial downside.

I seriously doubt that DOOM, Wolfenstein or Dishonored 1 had lower production times than lets say Far Cry 4 or Primal.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.