[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Am I a contrarian if I prefer Roy to Marth, Doctor Mario to Mario,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 9

File: C53nxzwU0AArJI6.jpg (215KB, 1200x765px) Image search: [Google]
C53nxzwU0AArJI6.jpg
215KB, 1200x765px
Am I a contrarian if I prefer Roy to Marth, Doctor Mario to Mario, and Falco to Fox?

I think it counts less with Roy and Marth because back when I mained Roy in melee, I was a little kid with no knowledge of a competitive scene and I thought Roy was just as good as Marth. At this point I play him out of character loyalty and I do honestly find him more fun and interesting to use.

Doctor Mario is just a strictly worse Mario, I'm aware of that, but I still play him anyways because I think he looks cooler, I like slugging the fuck out of people with his Jump Punch, and his Doctor Mario Spin is a lot more fun to use than the Fludd.

With Falco and Fox, Falco just looks cooler and has a lot cooler attacks than Fox. I know Fox is better in every way, but Falco is cooler.

I don't care about Ganondorf or Captain Falcon.
>>
>>382440837
You're not a contrarian because you don't play at a competitive level and thus a tier list is meaningless to you. Except for Diddy, Bayonetta, and Cloud, who even the most casual players can feel are notably better than everyone else.
>>
>>382441062

I mean, I do occasionally go to tournaments and stuff that I have to pay money to enter. I try to play competitively and I honestly would if I could, I'm just not good enough.

I do pay to enter tournaments to use Roy and then buster out in the first or second round though. I play my favorites, I don't pick top tiers. Though people have accused me of being contrarian because I don't really enjoy playing any of the high tier characters. I tried Diddy, Cloud, Mario, Mewtwo, and Meta knight and I just didn't find any of them fun.

I don't play exclusively shit characters though, my co main with Roy is Olimar and he's a perfectly viable yet not overbearing character.
>>
no you just like how they play more. unfortunately, they're still worse than the people they were cloned off of.
>>
Side note I can't wait for a new tier list. This one already shows its age pretty badly.
>>
File: Main.png (99KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
Main.png
99KB, 400x400px
Let's try something a little different. Change 3 things about a character that would make them good and/or balanced. I'll start.

>Neutral B can be charged and held onto either until you use it or get KOed; great for horizontal recovery
>Grounding Blow as default SideB
>Better air game in general
>>
>>382442149

>A boxer
>Having air game

That's like a wrestler wearing a gi. The fuck were you thinking? Mac will always be fucked, because his design is fundamentally retarded, but you couldn't have it any other way. He's probably OP for casuals who play on walk-off stages, though.
>>
>>382442149
>>382442584

Little Mac isn't even that bad. The issue is he is inconsistent. He can pretty much die at any time from a bunch of different bullshit. I don't want to use the term random because it obviously isn't just randomly dying, but you get what I mean. You can very easily kill him at most %s with a lot of different shit, even by accident.

That's the reason he doesn't place high in tournaments, because in tournaments you get eliminated. You might have to beat 40 other players without losing two sets. By the very nature of having high highs and low lows he will never get super far in a bracket without being eliminated, but any top player facing a little mac even in pools has to respect him and can't sleep on him. In that way, he's much like a better Ganondorf.
>>
>>382440837
Roy is low tier now?
Isn't he just a close range fire marth? That is how i used him
>>
File: 1479687813504.png (277KB, 600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1479687813504.png
277KB, 600x1200px
>>382440837
>Dedede and Ganon are my mains
>Both bottom tier.

This is why I play Melee and PM
>>
>>382440837
You would be perfectly fine if you were playing SSBM
>>
>>382443339

Roy is playable in Smash 4. He's perfectly viable at the skill level of 99% of the player base. In melee he is absolutely unplayable dogshit, so it is still a massive improvement.

Here's two really good sets of Roy, one is vs Abadango, a top player, and one is vs Fatality, a very high tier player. As you can see, he is viable, he just requires an insane amount of effort. Fatality is great, but Captain Falcon isn't a top tier either, so don't take that set as an example of Roy competing with top tiers. I think his weaknesses really show in the first video here. There are a handful of times where Ryo has the right read, hitting his opponent with what should be a killing blow but Sakurai just made Roy too unrewarding to get the job done so the attack doesn't kill. If it was a Marth tipper, it would have killed though.

https://youtu.be/_rYPWXDtFKE?t=5m5s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmoE9vIZ6LY&t=30s

>>382443935

Roy is so bad in melee it isn't even worth playing.
>>
>>382442149
Only your first change is a good idea. The only other thing I would do for him is to change his recovery back to pre-nerf levels. If you want air game pick another character.
>>
>>382440837
Autism thread?
>>
>>382444981

Perfectly healthy video game thread going on until you decided to come in and call people autistic. Faggot.
>>
>>382440837
>my roommate is a Nintendobabby who plays only Smash 4 and nothing else, has thousands of hours watching Melee streams even though he doesn't play the game, is a staunch applefag, and is obsessed with Overwatch on console

Name someone with worse taste I dare you
>>
>>382445065
Fuck you, when you stop smelling like pure rancid shit at my locals is when I'll accept smashfags. So many of you legitimately do have Aspergers and autism so stop being so defensive about it. Accept the fact that your community attracts digusting hogs
>>
>>382445132

>has thousands of hours watching Melee streams even though he doesn't play the game

I'd bet anyone thousands of dollars that not even 25% of the melee twitch viewers have played the game in the last year.

>>382445282

I'm not one of those people. Though there really isn't any practical way to keep a bunch of smelly autistic nerds with bad social skills out of a large gathering specifically devoted to video games. What are you going to do, have Chad stand outside and approve every kid who walks into the venue? A lot of the kids at the tournaments I have been to obviously don't have any friends. You can clearly see it by being around them. Might as well let them have some fucking joy in their lives around people when they are done getting bullied all day at school.
>>
File: 1498675052301.png (251KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1498675052301.png
251KB, 500x375px
anyone wanna friend me and play this on 3ds? i posted a thread earlier with my friend code on it lol
>>
File: world champ.jpg (75KB, 750x400px) Image search: [Google]
world champ.jpg
75KB, 750x400px
>>382443179
>>382442149

Hardly anyone plays Mac patient or smart and makes use of his advance options and movement.

They just act like he is some ADHD rushdown meme character designed to fuck up. Even most PR ranked Macs play him very sloppy.
The most part of the Little Mac community does not put enough effort in labbing the character and learning MU specific strats as other character communities would.

I'm one of the only people who take Mac serious and yeah he does have fundamental flaws but he get be taken far if you play smart with him.
>>
File: LXP200-18.jpg (1MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
LXP200-18.jpg
1MB, 2560x1440px
>main Bowser
>can still hold my own against dumb tryhard Bayonettas online but get fucked up hard by R.O.B.s or anyone who can wall with projectiles
Fuck this game. I wish PM wasn't dead.
>>
>>382446519

Smash 4 is a pretty balanced game. Don't let the tier list fool you. Anyone in C tier and up can take a major and it isn't uncommon to see those characters in the top 8s of stacked tournaments. Bowser is perfectly fine.
>>
File: LXP200-27.jpg (1MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
LXP200-27.jpg
1MB, 2560x1440px
>>382446680
It just feels like every match is an uphill battle. I don't know if it's just Bowser or the nature of the game.
>>
>>382446768

If you're a casualfag trying to get good, I can point you to a really good resource to help you learn more about Bowser.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3sgCRc13sk
>>
>>382446680
>that one time a Link player made it to 3rd place in a major tournament.
>>
I got bored of this game after not enjoying winning or losing
>>
>>382444295
>If it was a Marth tipper, it would have killed though.
Yeah but Roy doesn't have a tipper, he has the base of his blade. And the kill power of that thing is ludicrous, uncharged F-smash can kill at 40%
>>
>>382447314

I'm not comparing Roy's tipper to Martha tipper. I'm comparing Roy's sweetspots to Marths sweetspots. In which case Marths sweetspots are more rewarding as well as being safer because of the long, disjointed range.

Also, Marths sweetspotted F Smash kills earlier than Roy's does. I don't remember by how much, but that's the kind of thing I'm talking about. The two characters are not rewarded equally for sweet spotting their attacks.
>>
>>382446946
>in a major tournament
Please

It was the biggest and most stacked tournament the game has had.
>>
>>382446893
>For a higher vertical recovery, start mashing B near the end of the animation
Well fuck. I didn't know that. I always mashed right when starting the move.
>>
File: 1498516365681.png (11KB, 487x498px) Image search: [Google]
1498516365681.png
11KB, 487x498px
>peach and greninja are side by side.
Cool
Wait, what happened to ness?
>>
>>382447692
It seems you are indeed right

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3RHyO5QcgI

Roy is at 10th and Marth at 4th, but the video doesn't take rage or scaling into effect.
>>
>>382440837
>It's another "Zero claims his character isn't the strongest" episode
And here is a match where Zero got titled as fuck
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GejnZ92vfwg
>>382448235
People learned how to edge guard
>>
File: 1492696011799 (1).jpg (20KB, 306x423px) Image search: [Google]
1492696011799 (1).jpg
20KB, 306x423px
>>382440837
This tier list is bait lmao.

>Dr. Mario almost 5 full tiers below Mario despite being almost the exact same character
>Ganondorf being F tier
>Little Mac being that low
Yeah whoever made this has absolutely no idea how to play this game.
>>
>>382440837
>tfw C-tier and E-tier

We'll get there someday ;_;
>>
>>382449118
>Mario is a "neutral" character, masters of nothing but is good at everything. Dr Mario gets rid off all that in favour of power has worst recovery and speed because of it
>Ganondorf is just that shit and underused
>Edge guard
>>
>>382448605

Marths has better scaling too. According to kuroganehammer Roy's has base knock back of 70 with 70 knock back growth. Marths has 80 and 80.

F Smash aside it's the same for their forward tilt, forward air, and back air. Marths shit kills when sweet spotted and Roy's doesn't. If they were equally rewarded for sweet spotting their moves Roy would be much better.
>>
>>382449621
Well that's just bullshit Sakurai
>>
>>382440837

>dedede is bottom tier

This is surprising to me, I definitely have trouble against diddy Kong and shiek with dedede but I don't have feel at a disadvantage vs anybody else
>>
>>382449914
Playing against for glory scrubs is not the same as playing competitive
>>
>>382449118

https://smashboards.com/threads/4br-smash-for-wii-u-tier-list-v3.445995/

The tier list was created using months of data from every tournament around the world as well as a voting process by 45 of the game's best players from multiple different countries. It isn't perfect and it's subject to change, but there really isn't any more of a legitimate way to form a tier list. Even not counting the hard data of the results of hundreds of tournaments, I'm pretty sure every top player asked to vote on this is better at the game than you are.
>>
>>382440837
as a child I liked roy to marth because why would I want to play as a girl? I liked doctor mario to mario because I wanted his movement but didn't want to be a mario fag. And fox was my main since 64 so why the fuck would i change it in the next game.

That being said I don't play your pic related
>>
How old is this tier list and when are we due for another one?
>>
>>382450548
A couple of months old
>>
>>382440837
>D tier
Who fucking cares, Ike will always be S++ tier in my heart
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.