[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>die >send back to hub world What kinda stupid design is

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 7

File: SI_N64_SuperMario64.jpg (99KB, 1000x500px) Image search: [Google]
SI_N64_SuperMario64.jpg
99KB, 1000x500px
>die
>send back to hub world
What kinda stupid design is this? Were they going for SMB1 nostalgia where you have to start game all over when you lose all lives?
>>
>>382432447
I guess they just thought it'd be cool to have you get spit out of a painting
>>
>>382432447
>Were they going for SMB1 nostalgia where you have to start game all over when you lose all lives?

???????
>>
>>382432447
No, it's like when you die in SMB1 & don't get a game over, just jump back in the painting and start the level from the beginning. If it was like a Game Over from SMB1 then you'd have to start the whole game over again.
>>
Didn't bother me when I played it as a kid. And it is a kid's game, not a game for grown, autistic men.
>>
>>382432447
I actually thought this was bait but then I realised this board is populated by idiot children.
>>
>>382432519
It's not, what kinda nonsense is it that there are no checkpoints? It's not even hard it's just annoying as hell if you fall to pit because of the utter shit of excuse that they call character control, camera and gameplay
>>
>>382432620
>its not bait

i really hope youre not right about that. games are way too forgiving on deaths right now
>>
>>382432584
There are no checkpoints, literally if you are doing task to get star and accidentaly die and all the progress is lost, it doesn't even matter if you get game over when your progress is already lost from ONE death
>>
>>382432447
Most games used to require you to learn by trial and error instead of just spawning in from an autosaved checkpoint every 30 seconds, partly because of technological limitations, partly to increase the longevity of gameplay, and partly because people didn't demand instant gratification as much back in the day.
>>
>>382432869
And restarting a typical Star run in a level of SMB64 could take minutes.
MINUTES, Anon.
>>
>>382432590
This. Fuck off, OP.
>>
File: gud boner.png (227KB, 534x486px) Image search: [Google]
gud boner.png
227KB, 534x486px
>OP being a faggot casual
>>
>>382432447
Truly, Super Mario 64 is the Dark Souls of 3D games
>>
>>382432869
>Being so bad at a kids game to the point this is a legitimate problem for you
>>
>>382432447
i thought so
>>
File: Angry Maid.jpg (77KB, 588x476px) Image search: [Google]
Angry Maid.jpg
77KB, 588x476px
I'm more upset about how they handled these hat powerups. Why can't I just carry them in my inventory until I need to use them? Putting them on a timer just adds unneeded trial and error gameplay.
>>
>>382432447
>so bad at games you complain about dying in mario
>>
>dying in 64
Jesus, there are literally coins everywhere
>>
>>382432869
then don't die you fucking down-syndrome
>>
>>382432869
Later games fixed the checkpoint thing but in my opinion it's not even an issue beyond 100 coin missions, the worlds aren't linear but also not like huge so you can get from one place to the next in mere seconds. Also there are technically checkpoints for when you enter sub-areas like the Volcano, Pyramid or slide in Tall Tall Mountain.
>>
>>382432704

There are only 15 levels, and they aren't even hard. You shouldn't really need checkpoints
>>
>>382433338
>trial and error gameplay.
does it really take all your brain power to figure out what to do?
>>
>>382432447
>What kinda stupid design is this?
Because 3D platforming was new at the time, they made a controlled environment where you can get used to the controls properly. Then you do the more mission-like levels to get the stars when you feel ready by jumping into a painting.
>>
>>382433625
It's still literally trial and error. Unless you solved the star before, you're not going to know where it wants you to go with the hat. Simple inventory management would've easily solved this.
>>
>>382433338
Because that would take away the challenge of using them? Having a time limit means that there's no time to fuck around and you have to make sure you do the thing you're supposed to do with it.
>>
>>382433816
Well, that's just not the direction they decided to go.
So suck it up and deal or go buy some coloring books.
>>
>>382434202
This. For example you need to use the Metal Cap in Jolly Roger Bay to get the star at the bottom of the ocean, if the timer was gone then all challenge would be gone. The same goes for the caged star in Dire, Dire Docks where you need the invisible cap to get the thing.
>>
>>382432447

I actually thought this was really cool:

>fall down the sky in "wing mario over the rainbow", and you end up falling all the wall to the outside of the castle
>get sucked in the drain in dire dire docks, you end up in the moat outside the castle
>in the hidden cave in hazy maze, if you go out the site you go out the waterfall

I thought it was really cool how the hub was integrated into the environment like that. It made it feel like the levels actually exist somewhere
>>
>>382432869
>he's so bad at a 21 year old game he shitposts about it on /v/
I bet a good thread died for this you fucking faggot
>>
>>382434514
>It made it feel like the levels actually exist somewhere
they totally did too
in DDD there's a huge hole in the wall that I believe leads to the moat. presumably bowser used it to invade peach's castle
>>
File: 5532408728_8142ae143c_z.jpg (79KB, 563x587px) Image search: [Google]
5532408728_8142ae143c_z.jpg
79KB, 563x587px
>>382434631
>21 years
I had a small shudder of existential horror. Thanks.
>>
>>382434892
believe me anon I know
SM64 was the very first video game I ever played
I was 2
>>
>>382435618
I was 6 at the time. I remember hearing mario talk and it blew my stupid fucking mind, it was exciting to rent a Nintendo 64 and play this game.

Then our dad got us a 64 with Mario 64 and we played the shit out of it for months, the eel freaked me out.
and still does
>>
Should have just brought you back to the star select screen.

It's a pointless 4-5 seconds every death. Worse in sunshine because of the little area cut scenes.

Its not a terrible thing but a slight annoyance on difficult stars that might take you multiple times.
>>
Man, I remember how blown away I was in Mario Kart 64 on Peach's track where you could drive off the track and just go to the castle. Little me was convinced there was a way to go in, because why would the castle be there despite being out of the way with no purpose
>>
File: Bubba.png (44KB, 320x224px) Image search: [Google]
Bubba.png
44KB, 320x224px
>>382435732
the eel is small-time anon
>>
>>382435917
Except there's no way to back out of the star select screen and if you're stuck on a star it's reasonable to expect that you might want to go to a different world
>>
>>382435996
christ alive there is something so horrifying about the water pressed against the void with that fucking fish. SM64 is eerie as all hell
>>
>Beats the level
>gets returned to the hub world
Its the same outcome really.
You just need to build your defacto speed for another hour and you should be good to go you'll be going too fast to return to the hub world.
>>
>>382435996
The Eel never bothered me but this fucker here, god did he petrify me. Another thing that spooked me when I was younger was the Endless Stairs music, I don't know why but that shit just sounded a eerie to me back then.
>>
>>382436039

The obvious fix is to have a back button on the star select screen. You could even use the humorous spit out of the painting animation
>>
Because they realized that console games could do more than the arcade cabinets
>>
>>382435996
>inb4 piano
>>
Booting you to the hubworld is fine.

But having a life system was kinda dumb.
>>
>>382432447

SM64 has non linear level design
makes no sense to have checkpoints
>>
>>382436239
I agree, the idea of having lives in 3D mario games is strange considering all that happens when you run out is you get teleported 10 seconds away and have to run back to where you got booted out of the stage
Why even bother
>>
>>382436065
>>382436131
besides the overall atmosphere the water enemies in general make it scary
I wouldn't be surprised if my current fear of underwater creatures comes from SM64
I was kinda sad they made the game more "Mario-friendly" in SM64DS if that makes any sense
>>
>>382436390
It's pretty clear, since at least Sunshine and on, they stopped giving a fuck about lives. I think Odyssey doesn't even have them.
>>
>>382436390
>>382436239
this
one of the only actual legitimate complaints that can be made about SM64 is the lives system
it really wasn't needed in the game at all
the novelty of getting 99 lives from yoshi was cool though
>>
LETS DO IT
>>
They probably didn't know how to reset a stage proper. It was the first game of it's kinda, ya know...
>>
>>382436563
I don't mind the design changes as much as others but I do still wish they were kept the same, at the very least keep Bubba the same since I like when Mario enemies have them on. It's what I miss from the Paper Mario series for example.
>>
>>382432447
This game is literally dark souls.
>>
>>382437103
yeah they didn't really bother me either, most of the designs were pretty EXCEPT FOR THOSE FUCKING SCUTTLEBUGS
it is still probably the definitive version of the game but I prefer the original. it feels more focused and I like the separate block switches instead of the power flower system. plus that mario bloat power straight up makes getting some stars way too easy
the biggest sin of the remake was the shitty castle roof. you don't even get the sparkly triple jump
>>
>>382437509
*most of those new designs were pretty good
>>
>>382432447
It works for the non-linear nature of SMB's levels.

>>382432869
>There are no checkpoints

There is for Tall Tall Mountain's slide area, and losing against Bowser kicks you just outside the pipe.
>>
>>382435996
Dear God. I almost stopped playing this as a kid because of this.
>>
File: 1473071208368.gif (1MB, 400x255px) Image search: [Google]
1473071208368.gif
1MB, 400x255px
>>382437103
>I like when Mario enemies have them on.
I meant when Mario enemies have the cool shades on.

>>382437509
>>382437575
I hope one day someone makes a SM64 rom hack that includes all the DS stars/power-ups. I like some of the additions the game added but I still prefer the original since it heavily focused on Mario and the control+physics were way better in comparison. Also the colors of the worlds were a lot more vibrant & not washed out, there's also the nitpick of Mario not doing the victory sign with his hands when getting a star in 64DS, it just loses some charm without some of these details. By the way, the beta Scuttlebug is the best. Those new designs are pretty shit though, even ignoring the older ones the whole plunger hands with bee-esque stripes just look unappealing to me.
>>
>>382437509

Making Nessie or whatever it's name is look cartoonier always bothered me for some reason. Everything else was fine, but as a child I always really liked how it looked, just the dopey, "realistic" sea monster hanging out, being friendly and helpful.

I get /why/ it's just a sea-yoshi with goggles now, I just don't like it.
>>
>>382438094
>There is for Tall Tall Mountain's slide area, and losing against Bowser kicks you just outside the pipe.
this is a good point
there's also the pyramid and volcano, and maybe a couple others I'm forgetting. lives still feel kinda pointless though

>>382438128
that beta scuttle bug is hilarious, I love it

>>382438214
new Dorrie never bothered me but I can understand why some people might not like it. him and the scuttlebugs are the most cited as shitty redesigns so you aren't alone
>>
>>382432447

New to video games, huh?
>>
>>382432447
they were targeting intellectuals with the inclusion of the half a press
Thread posts: 63
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.