[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

None of you know true depression. The depression of knowing that

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 414
Thread images: 69

File: 1460143222655.jpg (19KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
1460143222655.jpg
19KB, 320x240px
None of you know true depression. The depression of knowing that the video game industry you use to know is gone. None of these developers make games for the gamer anymore. They don't make them for the people who grew up in the nes through the n64 era. We don't get classics like Mario 3, Yoshi's Island, Paper Mario, Ocarina of Time, Metal Gear Solid, Crash, Final Fantasy, Donkey Kong, Sonic, Ninja Gaiden, OG Mario Parties, Mana series, and a bunch of other games that are too many to count that arent even made anymore.

Nowadays, it's about instant gratification, DLC, cinematics, and passive gameplay. That old passion and game design is gone, and won't be coming back for a long time.
>>
ok bro
>>
>>382413000
Nice blog where do I upvote
>>
>None of you

Kiss my ass.
>>
>>382413202
whats your story then bra
>>
>>382413000
But... Sonic Mania!
>>
>>382413856
Sonic Mania does look nice, I'll give it that. Probably one of the few "actual" games coming out.
>>
>>382413000
lol the true depression of knowing video games are different now
>>
>and won't be coming back
Why don't you stop being such a pussy and just straight up say it's never coming back?

Oh right, it's because you can't even convince yourself to be full contrarian.
>>
>>382413000
That's not true depression but it's still pretty sad
>>
>>382413937
Because like a fool, I still hold some hope that things may change in the future. When I'm fucking fifty years old and even thats a slim chance. Games would probably be service shit streamed through the cloud at that point.
>>
>abloobloo
https://boards.fireden.net/_/search/filename/1460143222655.jpg/
even if video games magically became your 90s shit you'd prefer shitpreaching on /v/
>>
>>382413000

kill youself consolefag

i dont even care that you got trips

bottom line is we don't get games like Master of Magic (ok ok age of wonders 3 happened), or Jagged Allance, or Wizardry, or Warlords II, and Heroes of Might and Magic has gone downhill, etc....
>>
File: reddit nostalgia.jpg (104KB, 750x375px) Image search: [Google]
reddit nostalgia.jpg
104KB, 750x375px
>>382413000
>people who grew up in the nes through the n64 era
at least you edgy fedora faggots have some self-awareness now and stop embarrassingly calling yourselves "90's kids"
>>
>>382414009
I never knew such autism existed for someone to hunt down photos. however I do it find hilarious as shit that the same image was used for similar reasons.
>>
>>382414068
If anyone got shit on the most, I will admit, it was old crpg fans. You guys got the biggest shitstick ever.
>>
>>382414095
>autism
yeah, nice buzzword response
anyone can use the archive
that same image is literally you being a melodramatic faggot
>>
>>382414162
>scapegoating faggot

Next you're going to say I called your mom a bitch the other day. another faggot who thinks v is one person
>>
File: Untitled.png (7KB, 1187x92px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
7KB, 1187x92px
>>382414009
Oh boy, here we go. Some nobody taking video game design courses thinks he's the hero that will save vidya, but can't because we aren't raising our arms to send him our energy.
>>
>>382413000
>games for the gamer
Fucking stupid.
>>
>>382413000
I'm probably older than you and I still love games as much as I did playing Chrono Trigger or Half Life or the first time I popped in SMB. If you are too bitter to find the joy in it anymore then you should stop playing. That's been my plan since I was a teen. But I still find amazing games every year.

Nobody cares that you're jaded. This isn't a hugbox and we have more than enough complaining about games already. Grow up.
>>
>>382413000
>t. never gives indies a chance because 'it's shit lol' and try to suck AAA dick while that tastes bad
>>
>>382413000
Honestly, you're right. I don't remember any game the past 8 years that I'm sure will be a classic.
Might as well find a different hobby
>>
File: Laughing_elfman.jpg (47KB, 261x400px) Image search: [Google]
Laughing_elfman.jpg
47KB, 261x400px
>>382414009
>>382414223
>some assblasted hack dev mad at other indie devs for being successful
>>
>>382413000
t. someone who hasn't actually played videogames in the last decade

There's still SHITTONS of people doing it for the passion. Hell, that's 98% of the indie scene.

Here's what's REALLY happening.

/v/ likes to shit on stuff. So /v/ will find any reason it can to shit on everything it can.
If you get all your second-hand gaming experience from /v/, of COURSE you're going to think the industry has gone to shit, because /v/ goes as far out of its own way as possible to make sure everything is regarded as shit.

There are good games. Get off of /v/ and find them.
>>
>>382414334
>hey you should totally stop doing the hobby you love if you dont like the games anymore

fuck off
>>
>>382414409
>There are good games
THAT'S NOT WHAT /v/ TOLD ME
THEY TOLD ME THE 90s ARE NEVER COMING BACK
I....I CAN'T LIVE ON...
>>
>>382413000

wow look at this underage complaining about games in series that are all still alive

where is my new wing commander? (dont say star citizen)
where is my new descent? (dont say overload)
where is my new jagged alliance / xcom / commandos? (dont even the new ones are trash)
where is my dungeons of the unforgiven?
where is my terra nova strike force centauri 2?
where is my shattered steel 2?

etc.
>>
>>382414343
indies suck. their games always feel incomplete. Ive seen better on newgrounds.
>>
>>382413000
k
>>
>>382414409
Tell me your favorite games that were released in the past 5 years right now
>>
>>382414409
passion isnt enough to make a good game. You need talent too. and some of these shithead indies are just reading some youtube tutorial and then cocking something together with dad's money and then pretending to be working hard on their blog. fuck that shit. indies were better when they were called garage devs
>>
File: smilelaugh.jpg (214KB, 1307x1307px) Image search: [Google]
smilelaugh.jpg
214KB, 1307x1307px
>>382413000
end it all then faggot
>>
>>382413000
Wah wah special snowflake retard.
>>
I'm perfectly aware of it, anon. It doesn't cause me depression though, because I'm old enough that there are several more pressing things of considerable importance to make me far more depressed than the changing face of vidya ever could.
>>
>>382414678
I grew up on games so it sucks to see the sorry state things have become. You can go look at the old E3s and compare it ten years later to see just how much the industry has transitioned in mood. The moment booth babes left the scene, I knew shit was going to get worse.
>>
File: 1345451700994.jpg (93KB, 296x343px) Image search: [Google]
1345451700994.jpg
93KB, 296x343px
>>382413000
The simple fact of the matter is that the hobby that you chose to so closely tie your identity to shifted away from your demo a long time ago. The business that, for whatever retarded reason, you presumed was your friend has seen other avenues that generate more money You chose to invest emotionally in what ultimately was a company that sought profit over all else. And in your disillusion you want to lash out. Even if it only helps retain even a shred of your dignity.
>>
>>382414553
>and some of these shithead indies are just reading some youtube tutorial and then cocking something together with dad's money and then pretending to be working hard on their blog

You're not even trying. Come on man
>>
File: music-gen-gap.jpg (52KB, 600x531px) Image search: [Google]
music-gen-gap.jpg
52KB, 600x531px
>None of you know true depression. The depression of knowing that the video game industry you use to know is gone.
Nah, nigga
That's not why you're depressed
You're depressed because you've done absolutely nothing with your life
All you've done is whine and bitch and you're still here, crying to a group of people who will call you a faggot no matter what because you're a nobody
>>
>>382413000
>State of the video industry makes you depress
>An industry that has been shit for over a decade with its golden age over
Seek help lad. Every other normal functioning person just plays the games that are good and shitpost about the shovelware everyone is pushing. I recommend fishing as a hobby to destress.
>>
>>382414756
>investing in a company

It's stupid to invest in a company. But what I did was invest in an industry that I was hoping become better and more creative. Instead, we only got shit. And it'll continue that way til the end.
>>
>>382414850
>fishing

trash hobby. dont ever do it
>>
>>382414862
Reading comprehension isn't your strong suit, is it? I said investing emotionally. As in, spending hours of your time and life dedicated to the art of the vidya. Not a literal monetary investment.
>>
>>382414850
Used to go fishing with a friend and her dad before they moved. It was relaxing. I miss it. Don't feel like going on my own though
>>
>>382414548
Within the past 5 years?

Guilty Gear Xrd
Zelda BOTW
Nier Automata
Xcom 2
DOOM

That's not even in any particular order, that's just off the top of my head.
Have some more!

Persona 5
Ori and the Blind Forest
Axiom Verge
Hollow Knight
Sexy Brutale
Darkest Dungeon
Witcher 3
Legend of Grimrock 2

I'm literally just going down my Steam list at this point, I haven't even touched on too many console games.

Good games exist. The last six months or so have seen an explosion of bona-fide Game of the Generation contenders.
If you can't find the good games, you're not looking hard enough.
>>
>>382414918
>implying you've ever even been near a lake
>>
File: 1497817830737.jpg (60KB, 716x570px) Image search: [Google]
1497817830737.jpg
60KB, 716x570px
>>382414918
you wanna fite m8? I'll fucking deck you in the gob for shit talking fishing
>>382415036
I feel you lad. I dislike going fishing solo as well.
>>
OP trying to bait the depressed, attention whoring, self pitying losers in telling their story.
>>
>>382414548
Now that somebody replied with a list, you'll proceed to shit on everything on it.

Prove me wrong.
>>
>>382414747
I don't disagree. I think all of "nerd culture" has become nauseating garbage, as it switched hands from cynical neck beards to tumblr tier liberals and suits. But while that bums me out, getting older with increasing health issues, gaps of unemployment, etc is a much bigger factor in depression for me.

Honestly though, have you considered picking up another hobby? War gaming is still pretty unscathed. It's too complicated and not accessible enough to get corrupted by normalfags.
>>
>>382413000
must be really hard being you, luckily i can evolve in this constantly changing world so i don't have to worry about this shit.
>>
File: 1498776433253.gif (1MB, 394x297px) Image search: [Google]
1498776433253.gif
1MB, 394x297px
>Played this year

Nier: Automata
Yakuza Zero
Persona 5
Gravity Rush 2
Ni-oh
Tales of Berseria
Horizon: ZD
Prey
Resident Evil 7
Zelda BoTW
Mario Kart 8
Tekken 7

>Coming soon

Ashen
A Way Out
Metro Exodus
Dragonball FighterZ
The Last Night
Code Vein
Cuphead
Sea of Thieves
Ori and The Will of The Wisps
Anthem
Yakuza Kiwami
Yakuza 6
Call of Cthulhu
Dissidia Final Fantasy NT
Nino Kuni 2
South Park: The Fractured But Whole
The Evil Within 2
Wolfenstein 2: The New Colossus
Ace Combat 7
Shadow of The Colossus
Super Mario Odyssey
Kirby
Metroid

>mfw people whine about vidya being dead
>>
File: boogie.gif (11KB, 480x422px) Image search: [Google]
boogie.gif
11KB, 480x422px
>>382415089
This.

Fuck the gay OP. Post games you are enjoying RIGHT NOW.
>Persona 5
>BotW
>ARMS
>>
>>382415049
>arcsys reboot that's using that jewish BB formula
>open world meme game that used the lazy design of assassin creed games
>bland action game that is only being praised for a android showing her ass
>rng shit that gets boring fast and endgame loses all its challenge
>was okay cause old doom sucked anyway

>persona only being praised cause the jrpg landscape has been taken over by pandering to the lowest otaku fans
>cinematic feels game that can barely be called a game
>indie shit that tries to feed off old vibes but fails horribly
>hollow so far the only "ok" game
>never played and dont care
>rng shitfest
>overrated adventure game cause it has no competition in the 21st century
>not as good as the old crpgs
>>
>>382413000

Desolation is a 20 year old dude who's stuck with a video game that he got sick of five years ago, OP. That's how God is punishing the wicked today.
>>
>>382413000
>guys look I posted a picture of homer simpson and wrote an existential essay I sure hope somebody screencaps it no-matter though because if no-one does I'll just do it myself and pretend it's not me
Sorry anon, gonna have to come up with something more original than that.
>>
>>382413000
What is botw, dark souls, the witness ...?
Great games are still being made and the majority of games have always been utter shit.
>>
>>382415131
There is no other hobby like video games.
>>
>>382415248
It's not healthy for someone to be this mad
>>
>>382415106
>>382415248
kekaroony
>>
>>382413000
well theres always inticreates
>>
I love it. Cinematic games that look gorgeous and present a story, being able to experience a game through experts playing it on twitch, cruise control mode so I don't have to press buttons like a secretary. I think we live in a golden era of interactive entertainment and I love it.
Fossils can go eat a dick. If you were a viable demographic, video games would pander to you and not me.
>>
>>382414548
Slime Rancher
Factorio
Starbreak
100% OJ
Hollow Knight

There are others I've enjoyed, like Witcher 3, but I wouldn't call them my favorites. I also don't play a lot of games. I usually just play one until I burn out. Put 300 hours into factorio, about the same in SS13, 500 in Civ 5 and recently I stopped playing games in general. I'm sure there are other games that are fun that I'm missing.
>>
>>382415291
Demon Souls and Dark Souls were okay. The games after it was a simple matter of a dev getting too cocky
>>
>>382415317
Not mad. I just have higher standards due to having a higher experience of games.
>>
>vidya is ded
>new assassin's creed is coming out
wew
>>
File: 1491785069593.png (108KB, 358x391px) Image search: [Google]
1491785069593.png
108KB, 358x391px
>>382415240
>Fire Emblem Echoes
>GG Xrd Rev 2
>Skullgirls
Maybe OP should stop being a bitch and just enjoy what he has
>>
>>382415468
What games do you enjoy then?
>>
t. 21 year old
>>
>>382415562
None from the past 10 years because gaming is fucking dead in the water.
>>
Atlus intentionally destroyed their chance at any real publicity for Persona 5 by banning video letsplays, just to service the fans who don't want to be spoiled.
That's pretty passionate.
>>
>>382415248
Stop for a second.
You see what you're doing? You're doing literally the exact thing I was talking about. You're going out of your way to find reasons to dislike these games. Knock that shit off.

The thing is, if you LOOK for flaws, you'll find them. In anything. And then what are you left with?
There are people out there, having fun. Honest to god, true blue fun. Do you think "Not as good as the old crpgs" matters to them? Fuck no. They know that shit, and they're over it. And they're having fun.
You, sitting there, poo-pooing everything that happens across your screen, you have nothing. And you will continue to have nothing until you realize that it's not the gaming industry that's dying, it's your shitty attitude that's killing your enjoyment.
>>
>>382415509
Realistically, anon, what is the over under on the new Asscreed having those exact same engine bugs from Syndicate and Unity? The weird facial animation glitches and such? Did they take a year off to get better or just to hope that people forgot? I fucking love the idea of assassins in Egypt. Especially if they do some mummy or other mystical shit but my gut tells me that nothing will be different.
>>
>>382414480
You're an idiot to generalize like this. Of course the vast majority of them suck ass (as with AAA) but there are also some masterpieces like The Witness, Little Nightmares, Antichamber ...
>>
File: daisy_and_luigi_playing_snes.jpg (46KB, 680x461px) Image search: [Google]
daisy_and_luigi_playing_snes.jpg
46KB, 680x461px
>>382415562
Recently?

Here's my list:

>

Also, the reason why so many companies and industries are pandering to nostalgia over the years is because a lot of them are trying to reach people my age, except they are half assing it by only using a surface appeal of it, and not going fully in with the whole idea. Sonic Mania is perhaps one of the purest ways of going about it, and I respect Sega for allowing that.
>>
>>382414548
>Hotline Miami
>Dragon's Dogma
>Rayman Legends
>Breath of the Wild
>Guacamelee
>Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze
>Dragon's Crown
>Super Mario 3D World
>Persona 5
>Ori and the Blind Forest
>Bayonetta 2
>Stardew Valley
>Darkest Dungeon
wew. go ahead and try to tell me I didn't have fun.
>>
>>382415594
So you come to /v/ to just vent all that pent up anger then?
>>
>>382415049
>Legend of Grimrock 2
It's a shame they appear to have dropped the series because without the big marketing about
>WE'RE BRINGING DUNGEON CRAWLING BACK
the sequel didn't sell as well despite expanding a lot on the first one
>>
>>382413000
I think this is wrong, I think gaming is going back to the core gamers now that all the casuals are off playing phone games. If you look at the recent trend of games we're getting a shit ton of quality titles.

Compare that to like, the entire time period of 2008-2014 and you'll see a huge difference. Games designed in that time period played it extremely safe and did nothing interesting, they all babied the fuck out of the player and had constant invasive waypoint systems so you didn't get lost.
>>
>>382415248
The best part is that you haven't played the majority of the list. You're just going off what /v/ says.
>>
>>382415649
Sorry, I dont compromise just so I can git the little pittance of experiencing a video game these days. I tried that shit before and it's the most aggravating feeling ever. A dev will not get my time or money until they actually give me a good game. My intuition has never been wrong. I knoew right away shit like Yooka Laylee and Might Number 9 were going to suck. Kickstarter is a scam site anyway. I know the current industry of games suck. None of it is made for people like myself. I trust my judgment and I havent been proven wrong since. I still have played modern games secondhand through others cause again I love games. But none of them do it for me cause none of the devs are like those of old who still made games for the less casual. They didnt treat you like an idiot less you played some educational game.
>>
>>382415696
I come to laugh at the failures and makef un of shit games for being fucking shit. The only bit of enjoyment it's possible to get from video games these days. Unless you're a tasteless, retarded little brainless cretin like >>382415694
>>
>>382415834
>I still have played modern games secondhand through others cause again I love games
be honest
you don't play video games at all
you're a miserable human being and want everyone to feel like you to be less alone
>>
>>382415812
The only direction the game industry is going is still casuals. They're just chasing after the minecraft crowd now since they're the only ones full into that autist gaming mode that older gamers like myself did when we got that new game in and played it all day.
>>
>>382415886
What a sad existence
>>
File: 63530999_p0.jpg (576KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
63530999_p0.jpg
576KB, 600x800px
>>382415248
>>382415834
>>382415886
Pretty sad.
>>
>>382414548
Day of Infamy
Dayz Mod
Sleeping Dogs
Sherlock Holmes Crimes and Punishments
Remember Me
>>
>>382413000
Hey OP. I just finished Axiom Verge, and i disagree with you.

The problem is your a fucking memer who only looks at the surface for good meaningful content. Try not bring a faggot and play some indie games that don't suck.

Axiom Verge, Shovel Knight, Risk of Rain, FTL, River City Ransom Underground, etcetc. List goes on. Most of these made within the last three years.
>>
>>382415972
Thanks for reminding me that I haven't masturbated today
>>
>>382416030
I dont play games with shit visuals. I may have come from the era of 8 bit games, but shit's evolved from that low res shit. Then when we finally get snes tier graphics with owlboy, but that ends up being shit cause the guy forgets to add gameplay.
>>
>>382414002
i tip my fedora to that! have an updoot
>>
>>382413000
>tfw no half life 3
>tfw no victoria 3
>tfw no warcraft 4
>tfw even if they did release these games, they probably wouldn't satisfy me
>>
File: 1498555856565.jpg (253KB, 1080x1283px) Image search: [Google]
1498555856565.jpg
253KB, 1080x1283px
>>382415248
>>382415106
>>
>>382415834
Asking seriously; how old are you?
>>
>>382416216
I wouldnt want them released because they wouldnt be the same guys who made their prior games. And even if they did, they wouldnt have the same passion and talent they had at the time.
>>
>>382416245
old enough
>>
>>382416262
exactly
they're best left unreleased
>>
>>382416116
Welp, Sonic Mania right around the corner, and with test screens for axiom verge 2 looking even more 16 bit. You may get your wish in a couple years.

But desu those games are fun as fuck and you should be able to appreciate the aesthetic and not write them off. Games like axiom verge and rcr:u have great art in them that takes time and talent. Id agree sightly if we're talking about indieshit that tries to mask it's lack of talent with atari tier graphics to tell some 2deep4u story.
>>
>>382416338
I cursed a game then for having bad graphics, and I wont drop that standard now just so I can get "more games." When those people decide to upgrade their graphics to a more modern feel, I may give them more attention then.
>>
>>382416440
So how do you feel about the crash remake? Same game, updated aesthetic?
>>
>>382415834
So what you're saying is

You'd rather sit and play nothing and MASTURBATE FURIOUSLY over your own TITANIC INTELECT

Than sit and play a game, and risk enjoying something that isn't OBJECTIVELY PERFECT.

You're an idiot.
>>
>>382416506
>EATING SHIT IS SO FUN ONLY PSEUDO INTELLECTUAL FAGGOTS DONT ENJOY EATING DOG SHIT!!! SO WHAT IF DOG SHIT ISNT OBJECTIVELY PERFECT JUST EAT IT
>>
>>382416494
Surprised they actually kept things mostly 1:1. I say mostly because the movement doesnt feel as tight as the PS1 version. I think they tweaked it somehow to make it "easier" or something. At least they didn't screw up as bad as Square is about to do with the FF7 remake.
>>
>>382416580
Not an argument.
>>
OP is 23.
>>
>>382416506
Thats what's wrong with the video game consumerbase these days. You guys eat anything just because devs got all of you in a skinnerbox scheme of low games but high hype to them.
>>
>>382414548
Breath of the Wild
Tropical Freeze
Pikmin 3
Bayonetta 2
Wonderful 101
Bravely Default
Monster Hunter 4
Gungeon
Crypt of the Necrodancer
Witcher III
SteamWorld Dig
Fairy Fencer F
Persona 5
Bloodborne
Downwell
Mario 3
Splatoon
Papers, Please
ARMS
Catherine
Gonner
Persona Q
Shovel Knight
The Witch and the Hundred Knight
Etrian Odyssey V
Puyo Puyo Tetris
Mario Kart 8
Disgaea 5
Child of Light
Valkyria Chronicles
Rayman Legends
Sayonara Umihara Kawase
Kirby Planet Robobot
>>
File: Divinity original sin.jpg (87KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Divinity original sin.jpg
87KB, 1280x720px
>>382415834
>i will be a bitter faggot just for the sake of it and find shitty strawman games to further my "argument" that is REEEEEEE EVERYTHING IS SHIT!!!
Pretty sad if I may be honest.
If you used half of the effort to go out of your way to find shitty games to finding actually good games you would be a happier man already.
>>
I like how dedicated OP is.
He shitposts the first minute, then replies 'sensibly' when he can post again.
>>
>>382416816
>divinity

I have no love for old crpgs styled like that. They bored me to tears.
>>
classics are only classics because they did things early
>>
>>382416865
but good games remain good.

for instance there has yet to be a game that has matched a classic like super mario bros 3. No indie has done it, not even Nintendo after they moved to 3d.
>>
>>382416909
Super Mario World
>>
>>382416909
there are many games that succeed SMB3 mechanically but it's hard for people to admit or soften their praise for SMB3 because it's a "classic" (because it did things early)
>>
>I only looked at the most popular and / or shittiest games from the worst publishers and convinced myself that the entire gaming industry is unsalvageable
>>
>>382416909
>there has yet to be a game that has matched a classic like super mario bros 3
I think an obscure game called DKC2 came out and dethroned it easily. I think there may have even been another Mario game that was better too, but maaaaaaaaaybe my memory is a little fuzzy.
>>
>>382416934
Super Mario World was no Mario 3. That game had very different gameplay and level design. Mario 3 was far better structured
>>
>>382416909
The 3D Mario games are all much better than the 2D ones.
>>
>>382416909
If Super Mario Bros 3 came out in 2017, nobody would think much of it. People wouldn't pay more than $10 for it.
>>
>>382417014
>Super Mario World was no Mario 3
Well obviously World was better in every way
Duh
>>
>>382416973
I'm very objective about games. I would throw my love for smb 3 out in a heartbeat if it means getting a superior version of it. I don't mind new games. I just want new good games.
>>
>>382417078
>I don't mind new games
yeah that's not gonna fly after the shitfit above

why are nostalgiafags so obnoxious
>>
File: 1437803336731.png (3MB, 1080x1181px) Image search: [Google]
1437803336731.png
3MB, 1080x1181px
>>382417010
DKC and SMB were two different games. I never understood why people tried to compare them. I know the devs of DKC used SMB as inspiration, but their approaches to platforming and the visual design were very different. I would not ever try to compare them.

Also DKC 1 was better to me than DKC2. DKC2 was a nice sequel but DKC1 has a purer form.
>>
>>382416909
>>382417078
Go play Shovel Knight
>>
>>382417032
Thats not a fair theory to make because the circumstances behind the development of that game can only happen back in the industry of 1990.
>>
>>382417167
No thanks. That game has poor graphics and the gameplay is not engaging at all
>>
>>382417190
>because the circumstances behind the development of that game can only happen back in the industry of 1990
this is literally my exact point

SMB3 is a classic, in part, because it came out in 1990
>>
>>382417229
You are a complete fucking retard.
>>
>>382417190
Way to prove his point.
>>
>>382414918
I don't think you know how relaxing and rewarding fishing is. Oh right, because you've never actually tried it.
>>
>>382417230
I dont know if you're taking into account the mindsets that existed back then, too, along with the consumers that supported said industry.

>>382417253
Wasnt trying to prove anything. just clarifying
>>
File: 1475612259145.jpg (22KB, 480x300px) Image search: [Google]
1475612259145.jpg
22KB, 480x300px
The gaming industry has always been shit and has always been driven by profit and it's never had any standards.

Just cause a few devs made some really good games doesn't mean that they overall aren't shit and that what's happening now is any different from what was happening in the 80's and 90's.
>>
>>382417290
>Oh right, because you've never actually tried it.
that sums up the op and this current guy
>>
>>382417229
Nothing in this post makes sense.
>>
File: 1496452881141.jpg (167KB, 640x600px) Image search: [Google]
1496452881141.jpg
167KB, 640x600px
>>382413000
Trust me dude, I know how you feel. The world is just a different place now and it isn't ever going to be the same. The way I rationalize it is -- regardless of whether or not good games are made anymore, there have already been more good games made than I could possibly play in 10 lifetimes, so I'll just play them. As for new games, unless it's something that's actually worth a fuck, I will simply ignore it and keep living my life.

There's no other answer.
>>
>>382413000
Looks like you never played Witcher 3.
>>
>>382417351
Aye thats where the depression comes from. There's no other answer.
>>
>>382417229
It is the most engaging 2D platformer that I have ever played, what is wrong with you? I think you might actually have some kind of clinical depression that leaves you incapable of enjoying new experiences, so you just cling to old shit you remember bringing joy.
>>
File: Smug_191c79_5762907.jpg (20KB, 379x364px) Image search: [Google]
Smug_191c79_5762907.jpg
20KB, 379x364px
>>382413000
Post yfw OP is younger then 25 years old.
>>
>>382417428
>It is the most engaging 2D platformer that I have ever played
then you've never played an engaging 2d platformer prior
>>
File: fEhnwwU.jpg (16KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
fEhnwwU.jpg
16KB, 480x360px
>>382417408
Here anon,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBF3X3ZaS2Q

Enjoy this little blast from the past, maybe it will make you feel better. It's from a time when the industry wasn't filled with edgelords and the charm of the industry was still intact.
>>
>>382413000
Nostalgia goggles: the post
>>
>>382417523
I did watch the old Computer conference videos a while ago where this guy did interviews with devs like sega and even fucking Ocean. Remember fucking ocean? Whatever happened to those guys
>>
File: 1495687453561.png (2MB, 1450x1600px) Image search: [Google]
1495687453561.png
2MB, 1450x1600px
>>382417434
I'm guessing he was born 91 or 92. Grew up with a 5th gen console and didn't really touch anything prior until he learned about emulation.
>>
>>382417594
Haha ahh man, Ocean. You ever play Wetrix? Best fucking puzzler ever made.
>>
>>382417468
Or you are just a withered husk of a human being who is no longer capable of enjoyment, or you have never actually played Shovel Knight and are just writing it off because that is more convenient.
>>
>>382417638
I likely did. Just one of those many games I probably picked up then forgot about to go play some turtles game.
>>
File: ET.jpg (52KB, 580x388px) Image search: [Google]
ET.jpg
52KB, 580x388px
>>382417307
Pretty much this.
>tfw you realize OP was a "born in the wrong generation" underage hipster that looked up some youtube videos and Internet articles to find great old games and only played those so he is completely oblivious to how much more common the shitty games were back then
>>
>>382417664
I'll let you make up your own conclusion about that. But Shovel Knight is a cheap game that is runs entirely off indie retro pandering. No thanks.
>>
>>382417434
What gave it away? The I WAS BORN IN THE WRONG GENERATION mentality?
>>
File: 1495703939186.jpg (45KB, 640x849px) Image search: [Google]
1495703939186.jpg
45KB, 640x849px
>>382417665
Well anon, I will tell you one thing. If you think about it, time is really just a human concept. It's difficult to think "holy shit, my childhood was 20 years ago, I'll never experience things like I did back then", but in reality, it's still the 1990's, it's still 1000 B.C. The world is just composed of a different organization of atoms, culminating in the highly fucktarded world we have today. So even though it might feel depressing to think about the old days, just remember, in a way, there's still kind of here.

If you really feel depressed, you should do what I'm doing, and become invested in making your own games. There is a small chance, however miniscule, that the crooked sperms of this generation can be fixed and introduced to quality gameplay again, but only if anons like us pitch and help make it that way. Food for thought.
>>
>>382417721
Confirmed for having never played it. Shovel Knight is a great game that a lot of care and attention put into it, it got popular because it is well made and well executed.
>>
>>382417664
>>382417829
he's a salty game dev
https://boards.fireden.net/v/thread/363223102/#363223102
is mad because shovel knight beat his shitty idea (i say idea because he's clearly just an idea guy and had nothing to show when asked about his game) and made money
https://boards.fireden.net/v/thread/363223102/#363224572
considers it shit because he didn't make it
>>
>>382417818
Why would I make a game that I would inevitably want to play? That's the opposite of what I want. I want the industry to give me games to care about so I can give them money and experience some joy that was obtained back when games weren't made for the lowest common denominator.
>>
>>382417872
What a fag, this is actually pathetic. I could at least understand if it was depression, this is just bitter jealousy.
>>
>>382417829
>we live in an age where a shit game like Shovel Knight is considered great

You're only proving why the industry sucks, especially indies.
>>
File: 87696651689s.jpg (97KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
87696651689s.jpg
97KB, 1280x720px
>>382417872
What a sad sack of shit.
>>
>>382417930
>back when games weren't made for the lowest common denominator
Now was that before or after excess licensed shovelware was shat out for things like the C64 to sell on brand name alone?
>>
File: sarge heroes.jpg (14KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
sarge heroes.jpg
14KB, 480x360px
>>382418006
I'm well aware we got a great deal of shit back then. But we also got some good shit in return. The ratio of hardcore gamers to casuals wasn't as out of balance as it is now, so you could still have games being made for people who werent below an iq of 50.
>>
>>382418078
>The ratio of hardcore gamers to casuals wasn't as out of balance as it is now
Anon, I could bury the SNES and Genesis libraries under all the garbage released for DOS and the NES.

You've gone absolutely delusional.
>>
>>382418149
Good thing we had good journalists back in the day who actually played games and could tell a good one from a bad one so they could make educated decisions to the masses.
>>
>>382413000
>None of these developers make games for the gamer anymore.
>for the people who grew up in the nes through the n64 era
>n64 era

the birth of literal console babies - the original casuals

at the same fucking """""era""""" in computer games
>Age of Mythology
>Elder Scrolls - Arena, Daggerfall, Morrowind
>Age of Wonders
>Arx Fatalis
>Baldurs Gate
>Battlefield 1942
>Battlezone
>Black & White
>Caesar III
>Carmageddon 1 & 2
>Counter Strike
>Diablo 1 & 2
>Deus Ex
>Doom
>Fallout 1 & 2
>Gothic
>GTA 1 & 2 & 3
>Half-Life
>Halo CE
>Heroes of Might and Magic I & II & III
>Homeworld
>Hostile Waters
>Icewind Dale
>Imperium Galactica
>Jazz Jackrabbit
>Judge Dredd
>King of Dragon Pass
>Mafia
>Master of Magic
>Master of Orion 1 & 2
>Max Payne 1 & 2
>Medieval: Total War
>Neverwinter Nights
>Neuromancer
>Open TTD
>Patrician 1 & 2 & 3
>Pharaoh
>Planetscape Torment
>Prince of Persia
>Quake 1 & 2 & 3
>Rainbow Six: Raven Shield
>Return to Castle Wolfestein
>Rune
>Runescape
>Sacrifice
>Shogun: Total War
>Sid Meyer's Civilization 1 & 2
>Spellforce
>Star Control
>Starcraft
>Strife
>Syberia
>System Shock
>Thief 1&2
>Tomb Raider
>TRON
>Ultima
>Unreal
>Unreal Tournament
>Vampire The Masquerade - Redemption
>Warcraft 1 & 2 & 3
>Wizardry
>Wing Commander
>Wolfestein 3D
>X-COM
>Zeus
>Zork

these games were all released in the supposed nes and n64 era. What have you say in your defence, faggot.

m-muh nes, m-muh kiddy "gaymur" games like Mario and Zelda on a literal casual platform
>>
>>382413000
You sound like someone who desperately needs to broaden your horizons.
>>
File: Untitled.png (216KB, 319x431px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
216KB, 319x431px
>>382417872
>boohoo game development is hard
>I-I mean, it's the industry! They did this to me!
Imagine being such a fucking failure that THIS guy has done more than you.

THIS fucking sperg managed to develop something while the other guy is crying about Shovel Knight.
>>
>>382418210
What are you trying to say with that post? I played much of the PC library as well as the console library. There's no wrong with saying good shit came out on PC. I was just listing some of my favorite series which happen to be on console, yes. I symapthize with pc gamers, too, though you guys have it easier over the years, tho you eventually got bogged down by indie shit.
>>
>>382418078
>>382418196
Honest to god trash games honestly don't even get released anymore, outside of Steam early access shovel-ware which are made with ulterior motives in mind anyway. (Trading Card farming, Achievement whoring, Asset flips, and so on.)

There is a reason the review scale has gotten so fucked up over the years, actual 5/10 and lower games just don't see the light of day anymore outside of very rare occasions.
>>
File: a.png (426KB, 696x567px) Image search: [Google]
a.png
426KB, 696x567px
>>382413000
>Oh, hey, somebody on /v/ how knows his shit and isn't blind to how much better the industry used to be
>lists a bunch of fucking console games as an example of why gaming used to be better
Way to ruin everything

They make games just fucking like that still. Hell, Nintendo's have barely changed. What you're describing is just nostalgia. What they don't do anymore is the sort of shit PC gaming did around the turn of the millenium. We straight up do not see complicated, ground breaking games that reach to innovate. Remember games like Homeworld or Thief that created entirely new styles of game? Let alone shit like Battlezone or Commandos or something that just put something new out there, even if it wasn't as amazing as those games. PC games of the era just made good shit without worrying about dumbing it down to the casuals, because PC gamers of the era were willing to put fucking effort in. Now all we get are console port AAA games and indies pandering to the masses for steam fame.
>>
File: 1497309381862.gif (613KB, 201x281px) Image search: [Google]
1497309381862.gif
613KB, 201x281px
>>382418149
Not anon but from my viewpoint, this is the problem. The problem isn't that there wasn't as much, if not more shitty games than there use to be. In fact, I think the overall quality of games has improved. However, the difference is that games aren't made quite the same anymore, and they don't have the "soul" they use to. This is because, games, by and large, don't take risks anymore. They were also developed by small, independent teams rather than organizations comprised of hundreds or thousands of individuals, each with very little input on the final product. You will never have a Carmack and Romero situation again. Unless you're talking about indie trash, games have multi-million dollar budgets, and nobody wants to take a risk on that much cash. Moreover, the advance in graphics means that worlds are more realistic, but often lack the rough, unpolished, artistic vibe of older games. A game like Crysis 3 might look a million times better than Goldeneye, but it was the roughness of the graphics that gave it a relatable charm. It sort of left room for imagination.
>>
>>382418196
>Good thing we had good journalists back in the day who actually played games and could tell a good one from a bad one
I don't know what irritates me more: the possibility of you just being a straight up shitposter or the possibility that you've really blinded yourself due to that horrendous nostalgic bias and actually convinced yourself that people weren't just tossing out four stars for things like Street Cat or Chubby Cherub in magazines. There was literally LESS information back then. That's when you rented something based on the cover or sent a fax to get a floppy for something unknown.
>>
>>382418291
I'll make the point easier for you

>nes & n64
>gamers

nes & n64 NEVER MADE GAMES FOR GAMERS
>>
>>382418408
Question: are you placing mobile game apps into this equation? Cause I can tell you there is still much trash as there was of yesterday if not more.

Also, AAA games use to be godly. Now even they have fallen from grace.
>>
>>382418291
he's saying casuals were a heavy focus from the fucking start
you literally grew up playing baby versions of arcade games
>>
>>382418409
Nintendo is not who they use to be. They've casualized their games even more, and I didnt even think it was possible. They also succumbed to DLC practices and thats a sign they're through as far as being an honest developer goes.
>>
>>382416698
>>382416580
That's where the problem lies, I feel. That's the no-man's-land between your argument and mine.

You have to realize, game quality isn't binary. Nothing is either Good or Shit and nothing in between.

And there's a massive gulf between "Eating shit" and "overlooking minor flaws in a good game".
You can, believe it or not, do the latter without doing the former.
Because at the end of the day, there is nor ever was any such thing as a perfect game. Having discerning taste is fine, but If you look for flaws, you will find them, regardless of actual quality.
>>
File: history of pc games.jpg (3MB, 5000x2922px) Image search: [Google]
history of pc games.jpg
3MB, 5000x2922px
>>382418210
My nigger.
I don't know how somebody can see shit like this and come to the conclusion that old consoles were anywhere near as good as PC.
>>
File: 1496061721774.jpg (144KB, 762x785px) Image search: [Google]
1496061721774.jpg
144KB, 762x785px
>>382418459
>nes & n64 NEVER MADE GAMES FOR GAMERS
Not that anon, but jesus, imagine being this much of a faggot.

I grew up playing console games, and I also played half of the PC games you mentioned. Diablo 2, StarCraft, WC3 and Deus Ex are some of my favorite games of all time, but when you start pretending that fucking RUNESCAPE was made "for real gamers" and games like Majora's Mask are just dribble, you have lost the argument. You sound like a salty old PC fag whose mommy never bought him an N64 and now you want to pretend that said console never produced good games. Remove head from ass and move on.
>>
>>382418502
>Question: are you placing mobile game apps into this equation?
No, that is an entirely different beast.
>>
>>382418459
Oh no, Im not going to argue about the pc versus console shit. Each platform was good in its own way and I have nothing ill to say about either. I played games from both. But I will not debate whether playing console games made me less of a gamer or not. fuck that shit
>>
>>382418459
>nes & n64 NEVER MADE GAMES FOR GAMERS
That's just false. However, "hardcore 4 the gamers" games were outnumbered by shovelware and kiddie things.
>>
>>382418529
Arcade games were coin op shit anyway.
>>
>>382418664
>Im not going to argue about the pc versus console shit
why not? you already threw shit at every other target.
>>
>>382418576
A game doesnt have to be perfect. It just has to have a majority of good qualities. Games these days don't have that majority. The fact that I have to ask for games with some kind of effort behind them is a pretty sad state of affairs.
>>
>>382418773
>Games these days don't have that majority
They do. You just choose to act jaded because it gets you (You)s on 4chan.
>>
>>382418630
No one brought up an argument of PC games vs console games. gtfo here you pc spurgs
>>
>>382418773
>It just has to have a majority of good qualities. Games these days don't have that majority.

Well that's just plain wrong.

You go ahead and be sour over there, I'm gonna play some video games
>>
>>382418820
Oh fuck off. Just because someone has higher standards than you doesn't make me jaded by comparison. It just means your standards are shit.
>>
>>382418664
>Each platform was good in its own way
PCs were objectively superior even back then.
It's always console-only plebs who bitch about all video games being shit.
>>
>>382413000
I'm on my hour 37 without sleep, you don't know shit about depression until you are to depressed, disappointed, disgusted and on despair that you can't even sleep because you know you will wake up the next day and do the same again, I can't fucking sleep without meds, usually I don't sleep on weekends, only for going to work is that I take my medication.
>>
>>382418502
>>382418641
>Also, AAA games use to be godly. Now even they have fallen from grace.
As for that, name the last truly awful major release to come out. Colonial Marines is pretty much the only thing to come to mind for me, and that was 5 years ago. While there certainly aren't as many big budget 10/10 must haves coming out, there are far less awful games being released as well. AAAs have averaged out into pretty consistent mediocrity, derivative and homogenized perhaps but that's just what inevitably happens as budgets inflate.
>>
>>382418892
PC games were good, too, back then along with console games. Happy now you autistic fag?
>>
>>382418890
>doesn't make me jaded by comparison
Yeah, nah. You can drop the innocent act.
You're a jaded little man with nothing better to do than criticize things you haven't played.
>>382415248
>>
>>382418821
Because when you try to argue that you wished devs didn't just pander to casual and you list nothing but big-name console games it's laughable.
>>
File: 1497220716015.gif (647KB, 188x253px) Image search: [Google]
1497220716015.gif
647KB, 188x253px
>>382418916
And here's this random faggot looking for an outlet to cry about his fee fees. Look at him and laugh.
>>
>>382418969
You're creating an argument that isnt there. I listed some of my favorite franchises. Just because a lot of them arent pc related doesnt mean I instantly demean the PC ones. I just dont give a shit about debating which ones were better.
>>
>>382418949
>along with console games
You can't even properly admit consoles were shit back then. Then again, all you had to cling to as a baby was your shitty Kirby games.
>>
The real depressing thing is growing up with games from the 70s and playing games until about the 2000s, and seeing how each generation got better, only for the next two decades to turn into shit.
>>
>>382413000
Dropped at "gamer"

You don't know true depression.
>>
>>382419021
Kirby Superstar, the gameboy kirby games, the nes kirby, and Kirby Crystal Stars was the shit. Fuck yeah I loved kirby. Decent action platformer.
>>
>>382418949
>PC games were good, too
PC games were the only good games. You can't name anything better than DOOM or Monkey Island.
>>
File: 1498572108028.jpg (83KB, 577x624px) Image search: [Google]
1498572108028.jpg
83KB, 577x624px
>>382419021
>You can't even properly admit consoles were shit back then. Then again, all you had to cling to as a baby was your shitty Kirby games.
Jesus Christ, is your dad's cum really so salty that it's carrying over into your viewpoints? If you think consoles like Genesis, N64, PS1 and Dreamcast didn't have great games, you should consider drinking bleach.
>>
File: 1390527404301.jpg (53KB, 550x365px) Image search: [Google]
1390527404301.jpg
53KB, 550x365px
>>382419041
I saw that happen, too. When HD became a thing. It only took two years for most video game companies to either get bought out or close down. Likely a mix of both.
>>
>>382416116
Try Hollow Knight or Ori and the Blind Forest, faglord
>>
>>382419082
>action
>press button to kill everything
>platformer
>you can fly forever
Yeah, you would be a console baby. I can see you playing shit like Heavy Rain today.
>>
File: Drunk cooking1.jpg (114KB, 530x373px) Image search: [Google]
Drunk cooking1.jpg
114KB, 530x373px
>BotW looks like the game I always dreamt of as a kid
>not ready to buy anything gaming related anymore
>last console I bought was a PS2
>have essentially moved on from gaming as a hobby but still get that tingle sometimes

I'm not gonna buy a console/ PC for one game, fuck this shit
>>
>>382419139
Hollow Knight has finer gameplay than Shovel Knight, but the aestethics turn me off. I never liked the Nighter Before Christmas look. And Ori is too much of a cinematic 2D feels game.
>>
>>382419129
>If you think consoles like Genesis, N64, PS1 and Dreamcast didn't have great games
to be fair, they really didn't especially the dreamcast
practically everything was a port of an arcade game or a crappy imitation at a pc game
or a crappy port of a pc game
>>
>>382415248
I am exceedingly happy about you being miserable
>>
>>382415240
i am really enjoying exploring every last detail of Mankind Divided, it's one of the few games that has revived my interest.
>>
>>382419146
>thinking flying is the best method in a kirby platformer

Thats how I can tell you never played the games. Levels got harder and flying started to become a challenge so you couldn't just float over everything.
>>
how to fix gaming

step 1: create more mid level studios
step 2:
>>
>>382414815
I love replies like that, you can read the stupidity in between the lines
>>
>>382419248
I didn't have to play those shitty autistic baby games. They looked like garbage without any engaging gameplay.
>>
File: 1496458985100.gif (2MB, 320x180px) Image search: [Google]
1496458985100.gif
2MB, 320x180px
>>382419213
>can only derive enjoyment from PC games even though some of the best games of all time were made on classic consoles
Okay, okay, we get it, you're a faggot.
>>
>>382419278
As long as budgets are kept under control
>>
>>382419301
>getting triggered by someone projecting an hour ago
Was he right?
>>
The only two good Mana games are the original on Game Boy, and Legend of Mana, and the latter
definitely isn't for everyone.
>>
>>382419327
your fucking loss man
>>
>>382419347
not an arguement
>>
>>382419347
>some of the best games of all time were made on classic consoles
wouldn't call call of duty and super bing bing wahoo 5 the best anything
except maybe the best casual magnets
>>
File: 1393394589408.jpg (145KB, 850x600px) Image search: [Google]
1393394589408.jpg
145KB, 850x600px
>>382419415
legend of mana is a very accessible game. how the heck couldnt it be for everyone. if that game was released now, all the art and jrpg fags would eat it up.
>>
>>382418631
I jumped on his neck because.

>hurr no gamer games
>there are anymore any games like:
>lists games whose primary design direction was "be as approachable for casuals as possible"
>filthy casuals
>>
File: 81DlosCueCL__SL1500_.jpg (176KB, 941x1500px) Image search: [Google]
81DlosCueCL__SL1500_.jpg
176KB, 941x1500px
>>382419415
>apparently Secret of Mana isn't a good Mana game
>>
File: 1487433561066.png (512KB, 634x671px) Image search: [Google]
1487433561066.png
512KB, 634x671px
>>382419347
>even though some of the best games of all time were made on classic consoles
I like how you didn't even list any.
>>
>>382414198
but it's only the three of us here, anon...
>>
>>382418664
its not about pc vs consoles
its about you being one of the original casuals who can't deal with your fav games being as casual as the so called "casual pandering AAA titles"
>>
File: video games considered the best.jpg (198KB, 1146x794px) Image search: [Google]
video games considered the best.jpg
198KB, 1146x794px
>even though some of the best games of all time were made on classic consoles
pretty sure almost all the best games of all time were on classic consoles lmao
>>
>>382418704
>platformers
>hardcore
what's next? claiming that zelda was hardcore as fuck with its "lets make it as simple as possible" design
>>
>>382419682
>all of them are on PC
Really makes you think
>>
>>382419682
I never understood this. If the game industry have all these great games to follow, why don't they just emulate what made all those games great again? Is the effort not just there or is it just them all being too lazy?
>>
File: 1496459029707.jpg (132KB, 1213x750px) Image search: [Google]
1496459029707.jpg
132KB, 1213x750px
>>382419509
>>382419459
I shouldn't even have to list any good console games. The concept that consoles haven't produced some of the best games in history is an abysmally retarded opinion that only a basement-dwelling troglodyte would attempt to make. Let's see...

>Super Mario Bros 1, 2 and 3
>Legend of Zelda
>Sonic the Hedgehog
>Gunstar Heroes
>A Link to the Past
>Yoshi's Island
>Ocarina of Time
>Majora's Mask
>Banjo-Kazooie
>Goldeneye
>Perfect Dark
>Metal Gear Solid
>Final Fantasy 7 & 9
>Medievil
>StarFox 64
>F-Zero GX
>Phantasy Star Online
>Soul Calibur
>Metroid Prime
>Resident Evil 1~4
>Eternal Darkness
>Halo 1~3

The list goes on. Literally just off the top of my head. If you prefer PC games, that's fine, PC has a ton of great games, but console isn't any different.
>>
>>382419761
>why don't they just emulate what made all those games great again?
Gotta love the vast majority of those games got superior sequels.
But you can't say they're good because they're modern games and modern games have no soul. All bad, very no-no.
>>
>Thread went from shitting on OP to a PCfags vs Consolefags shitshow
Enough
>>
>>382419012
>You're creating an argument that isnt there
but there is though

>hardcore games
>list the primal casual magnets
>>
>>382419838
If you want to go that route, most of their sequels came out within a decade later and were still good. The question is, what happened after 2000
>>
>>382419842
No, keep it going. I'm having a blast seeing OP get outshitposted.
Can't make a game, can't even bait.
>>
>>382419806
>Halo on the list
Entire list disregarded
>>
>>382419761
What the fuck are you getting on about? Pretty much every game there either had direct sequels, were cloned to hell and back, or both.
>>
>>382419941
Halo was legit and was made by a pc dev. so fancy that
>>
>>382419891
>what happened after 2000
Looks like Half-Life 2 and Resident Evil 4 came out. I guess they're shit now. What a shame we have to call them soulless now.
>>
File: 1493056023295.gif (2MB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
1493056023295.gif
2MB, 200x200px
>>382419941
>Entire list disregarded
>haha you have a game on your list I disagree with, opinion discarded haha xD
Dear Jesus Christ our lord and savior, thank you for not making me as gay as anon. Amen.
>>
>>382419992
Macintosh Dev*
>>
>>382419761
>why don't they just emulate what made all those games great again?
That's literally what they did with nearly everything on that list. If you think the newer entries are bad you're confirming these games were always shit.
>>
>>382419994
More games became shit after 2000 and went to shit around 2005. Then the PS3 happened and then the industry went full jew mode.
>>
>>382419682
>popular appeal
>hurr popular appeal == best games
another confirmation these are casual games
>>
>>382420041
I'm not holding that list on a pedestal, but I can certainly compare those games to what we have now and see how far the industry fell between then and now.
>>
>>382415248
>comparing BotW to AC
>>
>>382419806
>nothing but action games
>h-hardcore
>>
>>382419189
>my autism prevents me from having fun
ok
>>
File: 1468632758863.jpg (6KB, 226x225px) Image search: [Google]
1468632758863.jpg
6KB, 226x225px
I'm 28 and honestly vidya is great.

Only issues are my friends can't play as much but that's part and parcel with growing up.

If you think it's bad now early last gen it was NOTHING but brown and bloom generic shooters and they were 99% fucking garbage and all Japanese devs were trying to replicate those shitty games.

We got Nier, and Yakuza 0, and Crash trilogy in the past few months alone.

Vidya is great.
>>
File: 1496461912218.gif (995KB, 247x268px) Image search: [Google]
1496461912218.gif
995KB, 247x268px
>>382420213
>implying Eternal Darkness, PSO, Final Fantasy, and Majora's Mask are "actions games"
>suffering from autism
I can only imagine your struggle. You have my sympathies.
>>
thanks for the fun time OP
I hope you finish your indie shit someday and don't hang yourself because Shovel Knight is objectively better
you don't want to be worse than yanderedev
>>
>>382420346
>Crash trilogy in the past few months alone.
Past few days. Thats a difference. Also Nier has never been a top tier game. It's only relevant cause there's nothing else. And I never been one for prequels. I like yakuza, but I wasnt going to buy the 0 game simply cause I didnt feel like playing past stories. It's not fun
>>
File: laughing-gifs-foolish-human.gif (4MB, 347x244px) Image search: [Google]
laughing-gifs-foolish-human.gif
4MB, 347x244px
>>382420346
>weeb shit and a remake of a PS1 game
Wow, yeah, great.
>>
How many thousands of people have died since the release of HL2e2?
>>
The AAA industry is fucking awful but we live in a time where a ton of small/medium studios are making some good vidya.
>>
>>382420408
>Also Nier has never been a top tier game.
Do you always cover your ears and scream?
>>
>>382420431
Hal2e3 or HL3 are both never happening. All the talent from the other HL games recently left. It's over.
>>
File: 1498825969708.jpg (59KB, 700x493px) Image search: [Google]
1498825969708.jpg
59KB, 700x493px
>>382420373
>>implying action games are "actions games"
so these games don't even have action?
what DO they have? nostalgia?
>>
>>382420495
Nier isnt fun. I didnt like it before and I dont like it now. It's simply a game that doesnt have a lot of noise of other games around it anymore.
>>
>>382420373
>implying Eternal Darkness, PSO, Final Fantasy, and Majora's Mask are "actions games"
You're right, they're practically movies.
>>
>>382420550
>Nier isnt fun
Guess all those people saying it is are wrong...
>popular things can't be fun
Tetris is popular!
>>
>>382420536
>>382420560
>any game where you do something is an action game
You're right, I never thought about it before, but Tetris is an action too.

Okay faggots, let's hear your list of favorite non-action games. If you can't provide that, you don't get to have an opinion.
>>
>>382420613
Thats called making a strawman and you're a dumbass
>>
>>382413000
>it's ANOTHER thread where a nintentoddler claims modern games are shit and can't see that it's because he's a manchild that refuses to grow up

KYS
Y
S
>>
>>382413000
>Nowadays, it's about instant gratification, DLC, cinematics, and passive gameplay. That old passion and game design is gone, and won't be coming back for a long time.

Don't forget obnoxious SJW propaganda. As a bonus, if you try to escape from the shit you're complaining about by heading into indie dev stuff, you'll have to deal with even more SJW retardation.

>Stardew valley
>surprisingly interesting iteration on the harvest moon formula
>every single fucking character has tumblr sexuality (aka all of them are bi) and every other character has dumb tumblr colored hair + bonus mixed race couple shoved down your throat where the black dude is a scientist because gotta subvert dem stereotypes amirite

The worst part is most modern gamers either don't notice it or eat this shit up like the hungry beta cucks they are.
>>
>>382413000
No, you don't know depression until you are forced to live with giant open sores on your balls and swollen knees the size of baseballs.
>>
>>382420550
>Nier isnt fun. I didnt like it
Cool opinion.
Wrong, but you're entitled to be a whiny manchild.
>>
File: 00-nobuya-nakazato.jpg (43KB, 200x244px) Image search: [Google]
00-nobuya-nakazato.jpg
43KB, 200x244px
>>382420648
>crash
>mgs
>sonic
>mana
>nintendo games
>>
File: 1496073177637.gif (2MB, 235x240px) Image search: [Google]
1496073177637.gif
2MB, 235x240px
>>382420661
>The worst part is most modern gamers either don't notice it or eat this shit up like the hungry beta cucks they are.
Patrician opinion.
>>
>>382420661
I think most just dont notice it. They probably wouldnt unless it was absolutely shoved in their faces. However, there's nothing more sickening these days than having someone in a game continue to parrot to my avatar that they're gay or something. Instantly makes me stop playing the game.
>>
>>382420408
>I wasnt going to buy the 0 game simply cause I didnt feel like playing past stories. It's not fun
that's retarded
mgs3 is one of the best prequels ever and you wouldn't play it because past stories aren't fun according to your dumb logic?
>>
>>382420530
Just the writers, and they probably wrote out a script for HL3 years ago.
>>
>>382420782
let me rephrase that. the past stories of yakuza arent fun.

but mgs 3's story was pretty good. Also putting you in a different setting. yakuza always happens in some suburban downtown area of some japanese city. And its not like I care about yakuza's backstory since it has more than enough of it. I didnt want to relive it. MGS3 was the first game to actually explore Big Boss's backstory.
>>
>>382420618
>I am playing dumb because I have no more arguments

>Okay faggots, let's hear your list of favorite non-action games.
okay

>Age of Mythology
>Age of Wonders
>Black&White
>Caesar II
>Heroes of Might and Magic I & II & III
>Homeworld
>Imperium Galactica
>King of Dragon Pass
>Master of Magic
>Master of Orion 1 & 2
>Medieval: Total War
>Open TTD
>Patrician 1 & 2 & 3
>Pharaoh
>Shogun: Total War
>Sid Meyer's Civilization 1 & 2
>Spellforce
>Star Control
>Starcraft
>Thief 1&2
>Warcraft 1 & 2 & 3
>X-COM
>>
>>382420906
Starcraft, Thief, and Warcraft are action games. Starcraft and Warcraft got big because they were unlike stuff like C&C and Age games
>>
>>382413000
>true depression is knowing that all the new toys you get to play with aren't as good as the old ones :(

That's not depressing that's just pathetic.
>>
>>382413000
>We don't get classics like Mario 3, Yoshi's Island, Paper Mario, Ocarina of Time, Metal Gear Solid, Crash, Final Fantasy, Donkey Kong, Sonic, Ninja Gaiden, OG Mario Parties, Mana series

Legit just kill yourself. You're so crippled by nostalgia NOTHING will ever be good for you again.

>None of these developers make games for the gamer anymore.

They still try. It's retards like you who fuck it up.
>>
>>382421121
>they try
>>
>>382421156
>conveniently ignores every single Mario, Yoshi, Zelda, Metal Gear, Final Fantasy, Donkey Kong, Sonic, and Ninja Gaiden game past the era when he was in middle school
he's right to call you a retard
>>
>>382421216
I didnt ignore of those games. I just saw them decline into the shit they are because the developers' business practices changed.
>>
I'm from that era and i prefer modern games. Suck to be you, OP. Now eat that fugu already.
>>
File: 1484164726144.jpg (71KB, 275x618px) Image search: [Google]
1484164726144.jpg
71KB, 275x618px
Newer games are story driven. Older games were just about the gameplay, if you couldn't beat it...fuck you try again.

Older games like Crash (and it's not even the oldest or hardest) gave you a set of skills to beat the level. They didn't really give a shit about the story, or other ways to beat it. It was git gud, or fuck off.

People unironically describe older action games from as "artificially lengthened" because you need to practice to beat them. This is the world we live in now.

Though it's pretty funny to see a platformer that children were able to beat is now considered too difficult and is being arbitrarily linked to Dark Souls
>>
>>382413000
KYS
>>
>>382421261
so why is tropical freeze bad?
why is a link between worlds bad?
why is sonic mania bad?
why is ninja gaiden black bad?
>>
>>382421416
Ugh, because they're current gen games. They have no game feel. They're soulless. They're not comfy. The devs just think about my money like they've always done except now I'm self-aware.
>>
>>382421315
Gamers dont want to be led to learn something anymore. They want to do what they want. And if you try to lead them, you get called out for restricting them and thats bad, which is why autism and ADD has become more praised in school and more people are homeschooling. Kids dont want to be told what to do. Video games have followed suit. Kids dont want to be taught. So give them an open world and let them do what they want. Because of this, you cannot give structured gameplay anymore to make players learn from their mistakes and prepare for greater challenges like old games use to do. Now if you even have a level that makes you have to learn a skill your game gets called shit. And that is why minecraft is considered one of the best selling games.
>>
>>382421315
>>382421480
>Souls games are a success
>BotW was a success
I can cherrypick too.
>>
>>382413000
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCb3rblTEds

OP's image reminded me of this video.
>>
>>382421416
Black was made earlier than the other three. It was made during the crossover from good to shit. Speaking of Black, I miss Onimusha games.

Tropical Freeze did not match the sophistication of Rare's game and I doubt anyone else will ever be able to. Link between worlds is diluted by its "do anything in any order and rent item" system. It makes the game relatively simple and all for the sake of "muh open world." And I wont know about sonic mania until it releases. But it looks like a good sonic platformer and currently showing nothing but gameplay like it, so I have hopes for it.
>>
>>382421480
>So give them an open world and let them do what they want
Soooo...like Zelda 1 or games like Adventure. Oops! Did I just imply new and old games share similarities? That can't be since all new games are terrible.
>>
>>382421532
Souls was praised by older gamers. Botw is praised by old and young alike. Mostly of the casual type who barely played games as it were.
>>
>>382421640
Zelda 1 was still structured. So was adventure, though adventure was basically one of the pioneers of the crpg at that point. Most crpgs in the 80s and 90s were true open worlds. Not this pussy shit botw, asscreed, and elder scroll games tried to pull.
>>
File: 1496367859563.jpg (176KB, 900x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1496367859563.jpg
176KB, 900x1200px
>3 hours of being wrong
>>
>>382413000
>won't be coming back for a long time
It will never comeback unless a second crash happens
>>
File: hipster_faggot.jpg (472KB, 982x702px) Image search: [Google]
hipster_faggot.jpg
472KB, 982x702px
>>382420770
Bingo! Speaking of gays, I think I've seen homosexual shit in a game maybe one time EVER where I thought to myself "huh, this is a really well done character that doesn't shove it down your throat" (pic related, it's him).

See, it's not that I hate queers, it's that I want characters to actually be characterized around concepts with a little more meaning than "HI I LIKE TO STUFF DICKS IN MY BUTT" or even "SUP BRO I'M TRANS LET ME TELL YOU MY DUMBASS LIFE STORY EVEN THOUGH IT DOESN'T MAKE ANY SENSE AT ALL IN THE UNIVERSE I'M INHABITING" (aka Mizhena).

Unfortunately, 99.99% of the time the person stuffing this sort of thing into their game isn't doing it because it's just part of the character, they're doing it to make some kind of obnoxious political point.

Also, did you know that the number of LGBT people is maybe 5%? 5%, often significantly less depending on the area. Based on the amount of shit we get shoved down our throats in games (and other media) you'd think it's more like fucking 50%.
>>
>>382421819
A crash wont happen cause the publishers control everything. You cant crash if you control the image of the industry as healthy and still living.
>>
>>382413921
They are dead
>>
>>382413000
Capitalism Ho!
>>
/v/ is mostly inhabited by mid to late 90's born casuals, or dudebros and nongamers that came in with the Wii/360/PS3 generation and think they have a say while all sucking at games as much as they do.

Ignore the casuals, collect tears, it's what I do and it works. You cannot reason with casuals, because even if you come up with the most reasonable and even minded argument in the world, they'll just ignore it and start shitposting about how you're a tryhard. Modern /v/ is that kid that stormed into his brothers room, demanded to play his games, then whined and told his mom like a snot bubbling little cunt when he was told no. Modern /v/ is the timeout generation of kids that got sent to their rooms to play videogames as a timeout instead of being beaten like they should have.

Welcome to casual gaming OP, enjoy your stay. They have the money and that means devs/pubs will cater to them. They are ignorant enough to use their deep pockets to support bad games, and further the casualization of gaming. It's not some coincidence that mobage shit became acceptable on /v/
>>
The absolute irony of the above high horse post.
>>
File: cb3.png (21KB, 696x423px) Image search: [Google]
cb3.png
21KB, 696x423px
>>382413921
>>
>>382421875
Can't you see that it's the opposite? Game devs are expected to update games for years after release now. Back in the day they went gold and that was that.
>>
>>382421956
And you can't refute a single word of it. Look up what irony means.
>>
>>382422104
>Look up
>what irony means
I mean, anyone with eyes near my post literally can.
>>
>>382419213
>practically everything was a port of an arcade game
That's because the Dreamcast was literally based on arcade hardware you uneducated pleb
>>
>>382422170
Again no arguments found on your end. You don't know what irony is.
>>
>>382422286
>Again no arguments found on your end
That's because the irony is up there.
>>
>>382422321
There is no irony, you're just a massive idiot.
>>
>>382421801
WHERE TO COP?????
>>
Holy FUCK this thread triggered the underages. The little kids who base their identities on media so much, that when someone dares criticize it, they see it as a personal attack on them.

>Doom now has cinematic takedowns
>Wolfenstein is now a scripted Call of Duty campaign
>Zelda now has a season pass and is the trend follower, rather than the trend setter
>Naughty Dog now makes cinematic experiences instead of video games
>Konami no longer makes video games
>Capcom will die
>Square Enix cutting off all their franchises to become a full-time capeshit developer
>Ubisoft will be bought by Vivendi and killed, with their IPs becoming nothing more than corporate fluff
>The RTS is dead
>The CRPG is dead
>The PC FPS is dead
>The shoot-em up is dead
>The 3d platformer is dead
>The fighting game is dead
>The racing game is dead
>The only new genres made in the past 20 years are: MOBAs and phone timewasters
>Modding is being stamped out and replaced with cash shops and extremely restricted creation tools
>Dedicated servers are dead, soon the mere concept of "chatting in-game" will be gone

When confronted with facts, that the industry is objectively worse than it was before, the underage feels threatened. "No!! You can't possibly be right! You must be actually underage/a virgin/hate change/a dumb stupid poopyhead!!" But really, they don't understand, because they weren't there. It's like trying to explain the concept of "wetness" to a fish. The DLC ridden, cinematic pushing, nickle and diming, corporate controlled industry is all they know.

And before you think I'm OP, Shovel Knight was a good game who's only flaws were minor things that broke limitations.
>>
>>382422065
Not an argument
>>
File: 1413893468290.jpg (56KB, 1065x600px) Image search: [Google]
1413893468290.jpg
56KB, 1065x600px
>>382415106
>>382415248
Like clockwork
>>
File: 1438152165847.jpg (36KB, 518x564px) Image search: [Google]
1438152165847.jpg
36KB, 518x564px
Industry is worse than it was before mainly because big companies are very afraid of trying something new and often just make "Same Game 4" instead of thinking of new IPs. Also the market is now oversaturated with indie games, there's maybe 1 good game for every 100 indie games, it's quite a chore to shift through the crap to find the morsels of fun.

That being said good games DO still come out. They are just not very plentiful. Everyone who thinks "everything is shit now" is just depressed or something.

t. 30 year old wizard
>>
>>382413000
>mario 3
shit
>yoshi's island
shit
>paper mario
super shit
>ocarina of time
shit
>metal gear solid
decent
>crash
medium
>final fantasy
utter garbage
>donkey kong
shit
>sonic
shit
>ninja gaiden
good
>mario party
all shit
>mana series
more like shit series

atleast put some good games in the op faggot
>>
File: 1436550008089.jpg (43KB, 980x1040px) Image search: [Google]
1436550008089.jpg
43KB, 980x1040px
>>382418773
>Games these days don't have that majority
As opposed to what OoT?
You mean that piece of shit with the most vapid storyline, 10fps and empty-ass world that retards like you praise because it was the first game your mommy bought to calm your autism?
>>
>>382413000
I tried to kill myself last year.
No jokes or anything. Legitimately tried to die.

Obviously I wasn't successful, but I do know what true depression is like - and video games should be the least of anyone's concern.
>>
>>382414997
Reading comprehension isn't your strong suit, is it? he said investing in a company as opposed to invest in the global industry. The "emotional investment" was implied.
>>
>>382425143
no offense bud but everyone who "tries" to kill themselves don't actually want to die

if you really wanted to die you would have shot yourself in the head or jumped off a building aka
things that have a 100% chance of working

downing a bunch of pills and fucking up your liver isn't really a suicide attempt but rather a cry for help
be honest with yourself, you never really wanted to die, you just wanted some attention
and that's ok my friend
>>
>>382415248
>>382415106
So this is what happened to /v/. No wonder it has the 2nd lowest IQ on 4chan.
>>
File: netfjaqaz38dwz_2_b.jpg (33KB, 600x316px) Image search: [Google]
netfjaqaz38dwz_2_b.jpg
33KB, 600x316px
>>382414409
There's a couple of good games that still come out from time to time.

It's not the ones you like though. You have shit taste and think mediocre games are great. And you're too stupid to actually mechanically break down what makes games good or bad in their genre.
>>
>>382425334
If I had access to a gun, I probably would've gone that route. I'm Australian, and they're next to impossible to obtain here.

I walked Infront of a two-trailer eighteen-wheeler with the hopes it would immediately kill me. Instead, it broke just about every bone in my body, put me in a medically induced coma for 2 and a half months to stop my brain from swelling and got me in trouble with the law for "dangerously disrupting traffic". Had to stay in a mental health facility for 6 months AFTER I had physically recovered enough to walk again, of which I was only released this April on the provision I seek professional help.

I really truly wanted to die, Anon.
I honestly wish I did.
>>
the kind of person that plays videogames has changed too

my generation used to be mostly contemplative autists treating games as serious business

the modern gamer is an 18 year old spastic autist who watches pewdiepie every day instead of actually playing vidya so games are made for them nowadays and not for us

t. 31 year old wizard
>>
File: surejan.gif (857KB, 450x254px) Image search: [Google]
surejan.gif
857KB, 450x254px
>>382425921
>things that actually happened
Uh huh.
>>
File: gloooooo.jpg (48KB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
gloooooo.jpg
48KB, 800x450px
>>382413000
I'm having fun, go mope in the corner you salty grandpa.
>>
>>382426593
Shit game. You have shit taste.
What else would you expect from a modern shit gamer?
>>
>>382426593
Wow, the nu-FPS reboot of Prey. Oldfags BTFO! AGE IS JUST A NUMBER
>>
File: consider.jpg (43KB, 600x451px) Image search: [Google]
consider.jpg
43KB, 600x451px
>>382413000
No shit sherlock. The same is happening in the music industry and Hollywood. American media is fucking degenerate cancer these days since all they do is either recycle old IP's to make a quick buck or steal foreign media to make their own lazy shitty version.

It's the power of multi-million dollar corporations where all that matters is generating profit ASAP.
>>
MH world looks pretty cool doe
>>
>>382426693
It's great, go fuck yourself.
>>
File: Bubbly Clouds.jpg (388KB, 856x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Bubbly Clouds.jpg
388KB, 856x1200px
>>382413000
HAL has always been a pretty pure developer in my opinion. Kirby games haven't succomb to paid DLC or cinematics, and while easy and accessible, always leave the challenge of 100% around for tougher players. They could've made Dedede Tour and Metaknightmare returns DLC easily, but they didn't, and just made them traditional unlockable modes. Even the freemium Kirby game HAL released recently is designed to be very playable without paying out a dime. HAL is a shining beacon of hope for me in these dark times.
>>
>>382426978
Mad little nu-fag mad that his games SUCK LOL!
>>
>>382427061
Kirby games, while certainly on the simpler side as they always have been, still remain some of the only games I feel comfortable buying around release. No cinematic delivery, no hours of unskippable dialogue, tutorials or cutscenes. You just fucking play the god-damn game, beat it, and you're done. It's nice.

I'm not a fan of video games as a service. While I appreciate some games receiving extended support as a result, the art of just fucking making a game and releasing it and that being it seems almost lost, some days.
>>
>>382427129
No, you don't get it.

You telling me it sucks will never make me think so. I am simply stating I think it's great and that's all that matters, your opinion is worthless.

I don't understand why /v/ wants to hate games and hate playing them. I thought we were trying to have fun. Or are you just jealous I'm actually having fun and you're not?
>>
>>382427321
>LET ME JUST TYPE A PARAGRAPH TO PROVE THAT I DON'T CARE
You just keep digging yourself deeper lmao. Your games suck ass and your opinion has the same worth as my "opinion" (fact). Your games suck shit lil baby
>>
>>382414572
>Chi
>>
File: Fuck you.jpg (107KB, 680x381px) Image search: [Google]
Fuck you.jpg
107KB, 680x381px
>>382413000
>actual depression
Try living with anthropophobia and not being able to talk to people or act normal around them, only made worse by medical conditions you're too embarrassed to talk about, even to the doctor, I leave the house less than once a week and consider suicide daily, fuck you and your "real depression"

Not that I don't agree with you.
>>
Why is it that Homer always accompanies the most brain dead of posts?
>>
>>382427321
From someone else who loved nu prey, it's a great game but you can go back and see that system shock did a lot of things prey did but better with more limited hardware. It was still fun but its disappointing to see that even some of the best games 20 years later still pale in comparison as far as design goes to 20 year old games.
>>
>>382413000
It's really sad but that's what happened after video games became mainstream. We are a very small minority, even within /v/ judging by a lot of comments on this thread.
>>
>>382427515
>but that's what happened after video games became mainstream
yeah, everything's been downhill since the 80s
>>
>>382427378
Opinions cannot be facts senpai.

Does it annoy you that you can't change my mind?

>>382427493
I'll be completely honest, I watched someone play SS2 and went "Yeah, it was probably the shit in the day, but there's no way I'm playing this byzantine piece of software".
>>
>>382427726
Does it annoy you that your games suck mad ass and you will always be replying to me, because you know deep down that they suck mad ass? (LOL)
>>
>>382415207

Great taste.
>>
>>382427672
more like the mid 2000s.
>>
>>382427854
nah, nintendo made video games mainstream
they both saved the industry and killed it again
>>
>>382427672
The "video games have always been mainstream" meme is the worst of all time.

We live in an age where Crash Bandicoot, the exact same game from 20 years ago, is being lambasted by critics for being "too hard" and compared to Dark souls.

We live in an age where Duke Nukem 3D is criticized for not being linear enough.

Fuck off with your underage bullshit.
>>
>>382427803
Well that's the thing though, I don't think they are. If anything it's sad you can't enjoy games anymore.
>>
>>382427934
>The "video games have always been mainstream" meme is the worst of all time
I dunno, the "all video games released after I exited high school" meme gives it some stiff competition.
>>
You say this in the year we're getting Breath of the Wild, Super Mario Odyssey, Sonic Mania Crash remasters and Metroid 2.

Just fuck off. There are plenty of adequate reasons to be depressed but this one sucks.
>>
>>382427921
perhaps but the real effects of mainstream influence weren't really apparent until the 7th gen

nintendo did gods work with the nes and snes, but i guess the popularity was inevitable
>>
>>382427934
>lambasted by critics
Not him, but that's one fucking review by some female journalist. Nice knee-jerk reaction.
>>
>>382427726
I'm not talking about ss2 buddy, 1994 system shock the enhanced edition so controls are a little better.
I've gotten to level 7 and its so refreshing to not use markers that tell me where to go and instead have to interact with the world and explore and read audio logs to find out what to do.
>>
>>382413000
just wait for the gaming industry to crash, when it does, you can hold onto good games and outlive the crash. not long after, gaming will go through a high. highs and lows, that's how material goods flow.
>>
>>382417705

Part of the reason for this attitude is the blurring effect when you have thousands of media releases constantly. The mediocre games of old were not as rapid fire as they are today.

Still the greater volume of games the more choice you have, so I do think there's a better overall choice in games these days for everyone. The big titles spewing sequels are going for mass appeal and that can turn a lot of people to other smaller games.

But today's open world glut is just like the Minecraft clones, just like the Halo clones, just like the WOW clones, just like the shitty RPG era, just like the Street Fighter 2 clones, just like the Mario clones, just like the Pac-Man clones, just like the Pong clones.

The game industry has always been about making a profit just each, slightly more whiny and self-important generation thinks they're living in the worst age, when there's always been shit and will always be shit.
>>
>>382413000
nice trips but you sound like a fag and your shit's all retarded
>>
>>382428071
>Breath of the Wild, Super Mario Odyssey, Sonic Mania Crash remasters and Metroid 2
Shit, shit, shit, etc. Why can't it be the 90s again, /v/ros
Hold me. . .I miss Total Recall
>>
>>382427956
Yeah but you keep replying to tell me that they don't suck a boner. But they do suck a boner, and you know that, so you have to prove to me that they don't by replying over and over to tell me that your games don't suck a boner. LMAO
>>
>>382428171
>just wait for the gaming industry to crash
It's not going to just because a vocal minority are throwing a tantrum over everything recent. Even the first crash didn't affect the entire industry. It was just Murrica.
>>
>>382428071
Breath of the Wild is an ok but pretty shallow game that takes cues from Bethesda of all companies that's just part of a fanbase armored series that can "never do anything wrong".

Super Mario Odyssey is intentionally making a return to a formula from 20 years ago.

And the Last 3 games are remakes (I know Mania is only a half remake)

That's not a great set of examples for your argument.
>>
Maybe if you weren't such a faggot and got your head out of the AAA shithole you're licking, you could check out the good games that still get released.
>>
Weren't classic arcade games about instant gratification?
>>
>>382428332
Shut the fuck up, don't poke holes in my argument you stupid normie.
>>
>>382428314
>Super Mario Odyssey is intentionally making a return to a formula from 20 years ago.
Yeah, a formula that was really good and then dropped unexpectedly. You say that like it's a bad thing.
>>
>>382413000
>None of you know true depression. The depression of knowing that the video game industry you use to know is gone.
I guess true depression is knowing about the video game industry rather than one having a shitty life without hope of improvement.
>>
>>382419806

All those games were developed on a computer though. Checkmate atheists!
>>
>>382413000
LOL I don't get oldfags I started gaming in 2007 gamings always been fine sit down bro.
>>
>>382428071
>Breath of the Wild
"We want to make Zelda Skyrim" nah fuck off
>Crash remasters
And this is the last you see of Crash. Enjoy your little trilogy, because it's gonna sell like garbage and you'll never see Crash ever again.
>Metroid 2
More like Metroid Other M 2. Same QTE cinematic shit. AM2R was better
>>
>>382428437
>admitting Zelda 1 was shit
>admitting Crash was shit
>admitting Metroid 2 was shit
What did you like? Tennis for Two?
>>
>>382428332
No because you can't beat an arcade game (one that actually ends) unless you do it on one credit
>>
>>382428332
nah classic arcade games were about milking as many coins out of you as possible
>>
>>382428398
I'm saying, with that, even Nintendo knows that new shit isn't as good as the old shit.
They're trying to recapture the magic of Mario.
>>
>>382428536
>They're trying to recapture the magic of Mario
>by having things never seen in Mario
>>
>>382428508
He didn't say any of that at all.
>>
>>382428115
>Gamespot: 6/10 "Abrupt spikes in difficulty that could have been ironed out "
>>
>>382428536
It's is a very charming IP, and also very versatile, Mario is awesome.
>>
>>382428508
Holy shit congrats on missing the point as hard as you possibly could.
>>
>>382413000
>I only know games made by big studios the post

Looks like you do not even care about video games to begin with.
>>
>>382428695
>IGN: 8/10 "Largely standing the test of time mechanically, Crash’s first outings get an N. credible facelift in this collection."
We can pluck reviews until you realize there are more positive than negative.
>>
>>382428804
Sorry, were my biased generalizations not like yours? It's my first time.
>>
File: 1498068968200.png (328KB, 708x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1498068968200.png
328KB, 708x1000px
>>382418916
>>382419009
im gonna look at you and laugh instead cuz youre trying to shit on someone for responding to the op with their own experiences with the topic of the thread. i.e. the entire presumed reason you have come to this board.
>>
>>382428952
the topic of the thread is crying over nostalgia, not legitimate depression.
>>
>>382413000
>muh depression is worst that your depression!!!!
>>
>>382429114
the real prob is OP has no brand loyalty, like sit back and get a xbox one bro
>>
>>382428631

If you played Mario 3 and World, you'd understand that the games always had dozens if not hundreds of new things in the series.

Mario 3 had overworld items, miniboss stages, ghost houses, map key gates, minigames for extra lives, in stage coin challenges, new suits, and more new enemies than enemy types in Super Mario Bros.

World had almost as many new ideas like Yoshi, whole hidden worlds, shortcuts through the world, alternative paths, overworld mazes, the colored blockswitches, and a smaller set of items that could be used in more situations.

Mario games, except the hopefully gone "New" Mario Bros games, were always about trying dozens of new ideas in conjunction with some of the old.
>>
>>382429368
>Mario games, except the hopefully gone "New" Mario Bros games, were always about trying dozens of new ideas in conjunction with some of the old.
So you're going to pretend 64, Sunshine, and Galaxy didn't do anything new? Or are you going to generalize them as "Mario jumping with things sprinkled on" while looking like a hypocrite, hiding Mario 3 and World behind you like that's not what their basic skeleton was?
>>
>>382429470

Absolutely not. I was more saying that the series has always done new and striking things. More just providing historical context why each game does things very differently but ultimately the games feel and play similar.

You're arguing what I am.
>>
>>382420661
>SJW propaganda
The dev literally made the romabxe characters bi so everyone could play it their way without ingame sexuality restrictions.
>>
>>382430883
Romance*
>>
>>382413000
Indie Devs make plenty of fun, heartfelt passion projects constantly, be it freeware or paid work. Just because you're either too retarded to find them or have been drinking too much of the /v/ "all indies are bad" koolaid doesn't mean they don't exist.
>>
>>382416580
You want stupid food analogies? Here's one.
Video games are like popcorn. Most of the time when you get popcorn, there are seeds, which suck. Sometimes some of it is burnt a little bit, or sometimes the butter is just on the top layer. But in these cases, you eat a handful of it at a time, so unless you're a picky faggot, these things shouldn't bother you. If you're normal, the good buttery salty kernels will let you ignore these occasional seeds or bad kernels. Of course sometimes popcorn does legitimately turn out bad, it burns too much or there's no butter, and then that popcorn sucks on the whole. But when popcorn is mostly good, you gotta learn to just enjoy it because if you hold out for the perfect batch of popcorn, with no burnt kernels, no unpopped seeds and a perfect distribution of butter, you're never gonna like real popcorn.
>>
>implying BotW isn't the best Zelda since the first one
>implying Odyssey won't be the best Mario since 64
>implying Metroid is dead
>implying the next Smash won't be God Tier
>implying the next core Pokémon won't be a 10/10
>implying Kirby won't return to Super Star form

Sucks to not have a Switch anon. We're witnessing Nintendo's renessaince.
>>
>>382431715
Popcorn doesn't taste that good. You only eat it so you have something to crunch on while watching a B-tier movie.
>>
File: really.jpg (256KB, 804x743px) Image search: [Google]
really.jpg
256KB, 804x743px
>>382431774
>>implying BotW isn't the best Zelda since the first one
>implying Metroid is dead
metroid is shit
>implying the next core Pokémon won't be a 10/10
why the fuck do you still play snorefest pokemon?
>>
>>382431715
>popcorn is mostly good
Get a load of this pleb
>>
>>382431715
Only faggots eat popcorn.
>>
>>382432183

(You)
>>
>>382431774
go home kid
>>
It is a new golden age for strategy, while space sim and cRPG are experiencing a renaissance.
Meanwhile arpg and fps are in the throes of a Great Dark Age that will last a thousand normiecycles
>>
>>382413000
The old passion has been replaced with what you described modern games to be, and that passion will also become distorted and become something else entirely too.
Life is a cycle that keeps spiraling, there's no way to stop it. Just enjoy what you have now, because you may not have it tomorrow.
>>
>>382413000
>None of you know true depression. The depression of knowing that the video game industry you use to know is gone. None of these developers make games for the gamer anymore.

I'm not going to say I disagree with the latter part, but the former part has nothing to do with it.
>>
>>382422060
>Food metaphor
>>
>>382422065
Only because they release shit broken, the updates are a side effect of developers taking advantage of consumers and having the ability to fix shit after the fact. Back in the 90's, you had to make sure your game worked, and you did that by hiring competent people who knew their shit. Now you have companies with 100+ people per dev team, with only a handful turning the gears while the others serve to slow down block them. The real problem is the circumstance that led us here, the people who perpetuate it, and an entire medium ostensibly changing and veering off course in the face of politics.
It wasn't supposed to be like this, it was just supposed to be a fucking game to have fun and play with. Now they're movies that serve you political statements on silver platters, and any action to knock the plate away has the game chastising you.
>>
>>382413000
You take videogames way too seriously, try having another hobby alongside vidya and youll find you appreciate them more. I get the impression that videogames are all you do with yourself.
>>
>>382413000
Cheer up, there's always indie games and slavs making good games
>>
File: 1483309266511.jpg (590KB, 1280x966px) Image search: [Google]
1483309266511.jpg
590KB, 1280x966px
I dont know depression because depression doesnt exist. Its just excuse for pathetic losers
>Why dont you find a job?
>Im depressed
>Why dont you go out?
>Im depressed
>>
File: 1466921640280.gif (143KB, 255x185px) Image search: [Google]
1466921640280.gif
143KB, 255x185px
>>382413921
They are designed dopamine reward loops for rats on cages. At least that is how they feel.

Games nowadays are like the music industry. Shallow but enjoyable if you turn your head of like the little drone that you are.
>>
>>382413000
Why don't you become an indie developer then to create the games you want

And it turns out no one buys your games because times have changed.
>>
>>382428263
>you know that
There's the mistake. I don't "know" any such thing.
>>
>>382437068
Well when you come back 2 hours later to tell me why your games don't suck donkey dick, you're not doing yourself any favors here.
>>
REMEMBER THE NINETIES??

IT WAS A GOOD SHOW
>>
>>382414374
Doom? Mario galaxy 2? The last of us? Journey? Breath of the wild?

Don't be such a twat, plenty of new classics have come out
>>
>>382435334
>if something is bad then it's your fault and you need to stop caring about it
good advice
>>
>>382413000
you should be happy op, now you can finally stop wasting your time with these childrens toys and make something out of yourself.
close your browser right now and go outside. it doesn't even matter what you're going to do outside, at least you're not STILL playing video games
>>
>>382438391
You cant rule that out though, someone who is jaded will hate everything even if under normal circumstances they would enjoy it. There are still good games, NOT CLASSICS, but good games. I played EDF 4.1 for the first time recently and had some of the most fun Ive had in a shooter for a long time, EDF5 is on my wishlist now. I played Death Road to Canada recently and was surprised at how addictive it was, and was put off until recently because its pixel AND zombies, but its a good game despite this. I played Necropolis and though it wasnt an "instant classic" and has flaws, I enjoyed what I played and have got a friend into it now so we can play together and finish it at some point.

A game does not need to go down in history as one of the mediums greatest titles in order to be worth playing. Do you apply this same logic to movies?
>everything coming out is capeshit and Transformers
>therefore every movie coming out is shit, nothing else exists because I dont seek anything else out, just whatever is slammed infront of me is what I consume
Thread posts: 414
Thread images: 69

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.