[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I hear Nvidia Gameworks is bad for gaming, is this true? ht

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4

File: gameworks-banner.png (122KB, 640x201px) Image search: [Google]
gameworks-banner.png
122KB, 640x201px
I hear Nvidia Gameworks is bad for gaming, is this true?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7fA_JC_R5s
>>
nope, its a meme made up by AMD poorfags
>>
File: 1491586021391.jpg (92KB, 500x333px) Image search: [Google]
1491586021391.jpg
92KB, 500x333px
>>382392682
>I like companies partnering with developers to take advantage of the competition's shortcomings

Remember when Nvidia used obscene amounts of tessellation just because it'd tank AMD performance (with no visual benefit to the user)?

I do, it was retarded and all I had to do is force tessellation down to 8X
>>
>>382393669
>devs put tesselation in game
>nvidia gpu can handle it fine
>amd gpus cant
>MUH NVIDIA BOOGEYMAN
i bet the devs make dem Intel clocks work also faster just to kick AMD in the nuts right?
>>
>>382393840
>putting in obscene amounts of tessellation in your game only to fuck over the people who didn't buy into your branding deal partners' product line
>>
>>382390980
Its true. Gameworks is a set of closed non-standard libraries and APIs that only work on Nvidia hardware and that cannot be tuned or modified to allow better support by third party hardware. Nvidia also refuse to release specs and firmware files making it extremely difficult for developers to understand Nvidia's hardware to know what's going on and what they should do other than use the code paths Nvidia has pointed out which are fast on their hardware but slow everywhere else.

AMD on the other hand maintains a similar set of open source libraries, and releases specs and firmware that allow open source drivers to exist, that are actually in many cases faster than AMD's own official drivers. This makes it much easier for developers to work with AMD hardware especially when you consider that the primary goal of the open source projects is to create an absolutely compliant implementation of the standards and not a competitive advantage for a company.
>>
OP, you don't want video card, you want a graphics card.
>>
>>382394954
>its the competing company's and the developer's fault that a shitty hardware cant handle shit
woow

>>382395031
it has been open source for a long time now just give prove even more that its AMD hardware being shit as usual lol
>>
It's only bad if you have an amd card or a previous generation Nvidia card
>>
File: fury-radv-speed-improvements.png (21KB, 600x241px) Image search: [Google]
fury-radv-speed-improvements.png
21KB, 600x241px
>>382395114
Its only been recently that the open drivers have actually gotten a lot of attention thanks to how mature the framework they're built on has become.

Things like a couple of guys writing a Vulkan driver in their spare time that hit compliance faster than the official driver managed and seen massive performance improvements tends to turn heads.

Nvidia still restrict access to vital information about reclocking apparently worried that their driver devs would be embarrassed just like AMD's were. AMD's Linux driver team have basically given up and started saying their driver is just for professional apps on workstation hardware and that for gaming people should just run the open ones.
>>
>>382395548
>linux
>vulkan
ah yes, the Mecca of gaming
>>
>>382395697
When the alternative is a platform that Microsoft is trying to lock to their own store, and Nvidia is attempting to force installation of their own client to update drivers, perhaps it should be.

AMD's open source drivers have in the last few years gone from being slower in every game than a 750 to now competing rather well with Nvidia's best efforts.
>>
>>382395114
You're defending developers artificially tanking their user's PCs because they wanted to use 64X tesellation instead of 8X (literally no difference in the two)

They've been doing this for years. These Goyimwork branding deals suck dick.
https://youtu.be/IYL07c74Jr4
>>
>>382396106
>When the alternative is a platform that Microsoft is trying to lock to their own store
ah yes, Forza and Gears of War really make up 99% of the PC library of games
>Nvidia is attempting to force installation of their own client to update drivers
and the problem with that is? what? muh spying government boogeyman?

>AMD competing well with NVIDIA
nope, they arent even close
they cant even compete with 1000 series and by the time they do they are going to get shit on again

>>382396376
too bad you can only prove it in one game lol

and again, the only thing Crysis 2 tesslation proved is that AMD cards suck because they couldnt handle the same load that nvidia cards handled fine
>>
AMD/Radeon fans are literally subhuman.
>>
>>382396376
>>382393669
>devs put heavy tesselation in the game
>nvidia cards perform fine
>amd cards are kill
>FUCKING NVIDIA, FUCKING GAMEWORKS AND FUCKING JEWS!!!!

10/10

>Remember when Nvidia used obscene amounts of tessellation just because it'd tank AMD performance
no, i remember Crytek doing it you fucking retard and they didnt do it to fuck with AMD, AMD fucked themselves with shitty cards
>>
>>382396483
>ah yes, Forza and Gears of War really make up 99% of the PC library of games
Like it or not, the future where PC gaming is simply Xbox gaming and the majority of users don't go beyond the Windows Store is the future Microsoft wants for their platform.

>and the problem with that is? what?
That its another unnecessary thing taking up system resources and cluttering up the user experience. When I want to update my open source AMD drivers its completely integrated into my normal system updates.

>nope, they arent even close
>they cant even compete with 1000 series and by the time they do they are going to get shit on again
That's true on Windows where your only option is the official drivers yes, but no longer true on the open drivers.
Even my old first gen GCN card has gone from being slower than a 650 years ago, to as fast as or faster than a 1050ti today.
>>
>>382390980
It's like speedtree but for a bunch of shit. Handy for developers, the only users who'd care would be AMD users looking for excuses as to why their budget videocards with dreadful driver support can't run X game well.
>>
>>382396927
>Nvidia forces Physx to run on a single thread unless you have an Nvidia GPU
>LONG LIVE NVIDIA!

I have Nvidia, but if you think this sort of practice is ok, then you're part of the problem.
>>
>>382394954

This is a consolefag tier argument.

"It's not fair that our hardware can't handle X! Downgrade it / hold it back!"

AMD either needs to offer a worthwhile and competitive product or they and their users need to stop complaining. Buy budget hardware don't cry about budget performance.
>>
>>382397324
Watch the video you stupid fuck, this isn't "holding technology back"

It's excessive for the sake of hurting AMD users. Fuck the developers and fuck you for defending this stupid shit
https://youtu.be/IYL07c74Jr4
>>
>>382397324
Proprietary programming is the very definition of halting progress.
Rise of Tomb Raider is a GameWork title that used a modded TressFX without any gpu brand preference.

Now that is what we call a progress.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.