[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anyone rememeber this fucking game? Wasn't it supposed

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

File: header.jpg (38KB, 460x215px) Image search: [Google]
header.jpg
38KB, 460x215px
Anyone rememeber this fucking game?

Wasn't it supposed to be the GLORIOUS return of Arena Shooters? I've never seen a thread on this shit again since it was first announced and it looks like it just ended up going F2P anyway
>>
Cool. Hope it goes well for them.
>>
There's been a shitload of attempts to revive arena shooting, and it never works for several reasons:

-People heavily invested in arena shooters are still playing Q3/UT2k99/3/4 and aren't about to leave their game for anything new
-Newcomers try them but stop after getting stomped for a few hours by a handful of veterans from Q3/UT2k99/3/4
-Overwatch became a black hole for arena shooter potential fans and they're not going to play something that isn't super famous

It just ain't worth trying anymore.
>>
>>382389546
no one gives a shit about arena shooters.

just like in a few years no one will give a shit about assfaggots
>>
>>382389546
LawBreakers will soon die as quick as Toxikk

arena shooters = meme
>>
it's dead, just like 1999
>>
>>382390030
There is a demographic that cares about arena shooters, Linux users. If you got into the genre in the 90s when they were at their peak you inevitably got into Linux because you wanted to run servers for online an lan parties.

The problem with Toxikk and several of the other commercial attempts to bring arena shooters back is that they ignored the Linux users. So Linux users made their own free software arena shooters like Warsow and Xonotic.

The new Unreal Tournament has Linux support and just updated. We'll see if it catches on, but understandably today most Linux users are paying more attention to ARM Linux (the #1 OS in the world these days) and less to x86 systems though Linux gaming on x86 is growing slowly but surely.
>>
No one who says they want a new arena shooter actually wants them, they just want the feeling of superiority that comes from preferring arena shooters. If they actually wanted to play a new one, they'd play the myriad of games that are out there (Warsow, Xonotic, Toxikk, Reflex Arena, etc) but, as always, the cries for a ~return to the 90s~ have more to do with wanting to seem hardcore on /v/ than actually wanting to play video games.

fucking hipsters
>>
>>382389546
It was a reskinned UT3 with less interesting weapons and shittier maps, its ridiculous that people use this game as reasoning for opinions like >>382390030
>>
>>382389872
This quack autists hate anything new that includes players.
>>
>>382389546
yeah i remember it's by reakktor and i didn't trust them after their track record with neocron
>>
>>382389546
I tried to like it but too many design decisions went to slow the game down.
Particularly the fucking landing frames that just butchered the speed of the game.
Also it was unoptimized as shit which doesn't really appeal to the arena crowd since they're all russians running the games on windows xp.
>>
>>382391417
linshit is IRRELEVANT since it was made, fuck off
>>
>>382392110
Honestly I don't even want a return of arena shooters so much as I want a return of fast paced FPS games.
Just make a game that has easy to do movement mechanics that makes has some high octane fun.
>>
>>382392967
This. Give me the unholy abomination of a combination of TF2 and Quake.
Tight, easy to learn hard to master movement mechanics, and a myriad of fun to use weaponry in a team based shooter.
>>
>>382393217
oh boy do i have the game for you!

http://www.moddb.com/mods/team-fortress/downloads
>>
>>382392956
Then why was every big classic arena shooter released native for Linux, and why did the genre fall into relative obscurity around the time that Microsoft got to stop supporting Linux?

Arena shooters depended on there being servers run by users. That got a whole generation of gamers into running servers, and at the time with Id, Epic, Bungie, and other companies supporting Linux there was no reason not to just switch to Linux.
>>
>>382393902
who the fuck plays games on their server
>>
>>382394007
Once you've gotten used to a proper UNIX style OS going back to a shitty VMS clone like Windows is painful. Nothing works right, the file paths are all wrong, and until recently you missed out on a lot of great functionality.

Part of why Microsoft finally had to bite the bullet and make Windows into GNU/NT with a desktop that's a blatant rip off of KDE.
>>
>>382389546
the community was pretty toxikk
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.