[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How has Counter-Strike outlived every other major FPS trend and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4

File: 1478270340224.jpg (215KB, 1560x1073px) Image search: [Google]
1478270340224.jpg
215KB, 1560x1073px
How has Counter-Strike outlived every other major FPS trend and basically stayed the most popular shooter for almost two decades? Born right smackdab in the autumn of the arena age, surviving the Halo era, WW2, COD, near-future, and perhaps being insulated from the trends of the late 00s, early 10s by its cousin TF2.

I'm not saying it's bad, certainly the opposite, but it's resisted basically every major gameplay indulgence every other FPS of note was eager to jump on.
>>
third world players
>>
>>382343931
low price source was even free with half-life 2
high availability
>>
>What is Doom?
>>
Hat cancer
>>
>>382344313
A great game, historically significant for the genre, obviously, but not quite the juggernaut that CS is.
>>
>>382343931
>How has Counter-Strike outlived every other major FPS trend
>it's resisted basically every major gameplay indulgence every other FPS of note was eager to jump on.
That's basically it. Not changing it's core gameplay to chase trends is it's strength, rather than a product of it's popularity. They found a working formula that spawned some imitators, but no usurpers. They stuck to that formula with only minor changes, and as a result if you want to play anything like Counter Strike, there's pretty much only Counter Strike, whereas if you wanted to play something like Call of Duty, you have a major part of the FPS market to pick through.
>>
>>382343931
It's pretty simple to follow. Makes the esport scene easy to follow, too. There are some game mechanics (strafe jumping, jiggle peeking, run boosting etc.) that are a little more advanced but most of the time it's just "shoot the enemy or try to plant / defuse the bomb".

The only trend they really jumped on was skins, and you can completely ignore that as it is entirely cosmetic.
>>
>>382344534
>The only trend they really jumped on was skins, and you can completely ignore that as it is entirely cosmetic.

they did take out sprays only to put them back in as PURCHASABLE LIMITED USE ITEMS

that's pretty fucking jewish
>>
Its literally because its edgy and played by a mixture of people ranging from scum to teens. Its treated more seriously because of the subject matter and seriousness.
When adults treat it seriously so do teens.
>>
>>382344773
We can't have your average 12 year old GS:GO player being exposed to rude titties sprays, can we anon?
>>
>>382344438
>if you wanted to play something like Call of Duty, you have a major part of the FPS market to pick through

I get your argument, but at the same time, that strategy has basically been how publishers kill their subsidiaries.

There's no COD-like market, there is the market that Activision enjoys exclusively. Any other game that has some level of community overlap with COD doesn't really compete with it.

Even the dead-as-disco stuff the non-Treyarch releases put out still sell better than all their competitors. Yes, Infinite Warfare did better than Battlefield 1 and nobody gave a shit about IW.

So there's Counter-Strike, COD, TF2, OW, etc., they all exist in their own world, and it's rare for anybody to ever usurp the throne, as you put it.
>>
File: 999.jpg (104KB, 316x421px) Image search: [Google]
999.jpg
104KB, 316x421px
>>382343931
I would like to know as well. It's not fast, neither has the high skillcelling like arena shooters, and it's not tactical enough like tactical shooters.

It's just boring to me
>>
>>382344083
This, partly.
>>
File: 1478726326828.jpg (1MB, 1131x1600px) Image search: [Google]
1478726326828.jpg
1MB, 1131x1600px
Imagine how much money Valve could make if they leveraged the fanservice girls from the Asian CS spinoffs as skins in CSGO
>>
>>382345416
It's a modern shooter that's only slightly more arcadey than Rainbow Six, so it always remains relevant in the modern era.
>>
pro/LAN scene

there's a better FPS called AVA that's popular af in the Asian countries; however, it's dead in NA because of CSGO and its popularity.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.