[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm debating on getting Prey once I beat The Witcher. Is

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 12

File: Prey_box_shot.jpg (762KB, 1527x2178px) Image search: [Google]
Prey_box_shot.jpg
762KB, 1527x2178px
I'm debating on getting Prey once I beat The Witcher. Is it any good and worth the price? Also do you need to play the original to understand the story?
>>
I think there's a demo available, give it a try my guy. I was pleasantly surprised, but not enough to throw down cash for it.
>>
I'm enjoying it so far. It's not like the original at all, it's an original project by Arkane (the Dishonored guys) that Bethesda slapped Prey onto in order to keep the IP rights. If you really like Dishonored, Deus Ex, or the System Shock/Bioshock games give it a shot; otherwise, it's not selling that well so give it another six months and it'll likely be even cheaper.
>>
>>382334734
Honestly didn't think about a demo. Thanks.
>>
>>382334796
The PC version never got the demo because of some optimization/"you can just refund it if you don't like it" bullshit.
>>
This game has nothing to do with the original, at all. It felt like a real spiritual successor to System Shock, if you're into immersive sims like System Shock and Bioshock, I really recommend it. Level design felt amazing, I really enjoyed exploring the station and uncovering the story.
>>
>>382334773
That's one thing that surprised me. It just dropped off the radar. I mean no one is saying it's bad but it just disappeared.
>>
>>382334918
Are the areas set up like Dishonor in the sense that they are Linear but multiple ways to navigate the area?
>>
yes
no
>>
>>382334601
The only big weakness is terrible enemy design and maybe a low variety of weapons. It's nice.
>>
>>382334601

Play the demo to realize how dull it is.
>>
>>382335378
Well you unlock them in a linear order until about halfway through the game when they're all unlocked, then you can navigate the station at your leisure.
>>
>>382334601
I found it pretty borong. If you've llayed System Shock or Bioshock before, then you've already played this game.
>>
>>382335378
Sort of. It doesn't have the mission structure since it's just a sprawling space station complex, but the level design, particularly in how there's a lot of different ways to get from place to place, is very reminiscent of Dishonored.
>>
>>382335739
Yeah but, System Shock 2 is almost 2 decades old, so this plays better.

This game is leagues better than BioShock tho, fuck that shit.
>>
>>382335749
I'll probably get it. Thanks for answering.
>>
File: gloooooo.jpg (48KB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
gloooooo.jpg
48KB, 800x450px
The GLOO Gun is the best thing since the Gravity Gun.
>>
>>382335904
That looks dope. Loll
>>
>>382334601
the combat is annoying as fuck until you unlock certain abilities to counter them
>>
>>382334601

Really good game, but let down by being too easy, and having a lack of build and enemy variety.
>>
>>382335739
Bioshock probably had better combat and enemy encounters on a minute to minute basis, but way more shooter than anything else and more or less just a linear experience.
>>
It's good but feels like something is missing.
It lacks the punch of either Bioshock or System Shock mainly due to the fact that it simply isn't dark enough in tone.
It is going for very cheap prices though at the moment and is well worth having a crack at. I don't think it's classic material but it is definitely underrated. A solid 8/10 kind of game.
>>
>>382334601
>beat the Witcher

So like 2 years from now?
>>
File: smugdog.jpg (266KB, 905x881px) Image search: [Google]
smugdog.jpg
266KB, 905x881px
>>382336004
>That looks dope. Loll
>>
File: gloostairs.jpg (722KB, 2000x1104px) Image search: [Google]
gloostairs.jpg
722KB, 2000x1104px
>>382336004
Also doubles as a staircase constructor when you want to tell the level design to go fuck itself (though, it IS usually designed for GLOO stairs in mind).
>>
>>382334601
It's pretty much bioshock without the big daddy's.

I really liked it
>>
What's the connection between Typhon n looking glass
>>
>>382336385
>can't stick gloo to gloo to make giant dicks or even to recreate the gloo snowman

My only gripe with this game desu
>>
>>382336184
I think more highly of it than that, but I agree when I look back on it. The first half of the game doesn't really give all that much of a sense of claustrophobia and anxiety, but I might contribute that to the poor enemy design and the fact that since you can explore teh station in a lot of different ways, there's a lack of immediacy in any given task.
>>
>>382334601

I don't think it's worth anything above $30.
>>
>>382336184
It's missing "expected" things.

Like, there's only 3 guns. In the context of the setting it makes sense, but it feels "weird" because you expect a "shooter" to have more weapons than that. But it's not really a shooter.

It also doesn't have a classic Shock storyline. There's no SHODAN or Frank Fontaine, no plot twist (until the very, very, very end), and you're not completely alone; there's actually character interaction.
>>
>>382336562
>>382336679
>>382336184
It doesn't help that it really isn't scary in the slightest. Not even anxiety-inducing.
>>
>>382336562
Well, the ship itself isn't that claustrophobic - there's even in-game text that explains the fact it was built to be roomy, to prevent the claustrophobia and cabin fever that often overcomes people in cramped space ships.

It sounds like you guys literally want it to be a System Shock clone and are disappointed it isn't /exactly/ like SS in every way possible.
>>
>>382336502
I beat the game and the looking glass is never really that fleshed out as far as I could tell, typhon were found long before looking glass was created IIRC, since they were found before TALOS 1 was built
>>
>>382336850
Was it supposed to be? I never got that feeling.
>>
File: Prey Nerf Gun.webm (3MB, 702x394px) Image search: [Google]
Prey Nerf Gun.webm
3MB, 702x394px
Witcher is a shitty bamham clone. Prey is System Shock wannabe.

Which one of those titles do you think you'd enjoy more?
>>
This is not even a fucking joke. This is the hardest enemy in the entire game and my Morgan was no where near maxed out.
>>
>>382336879
>>382336948
You're not wrong. I just sort of have this expectation for these types of settings to be like System Shock or Alien and have really intimidating settings. Typhon station is really comfy, actually. It just feels like there's a disconnect.

It's really good, either way.
>>
>>382337005

Why break the glass and not climb?
>>
>>382337059
Lol, I used that junction box to kill damn near everything in that subsector every time I went there.
>>
File: wtf did I just read holy shit.gif (2MB, 256x192px) Image search: [Google]
wtf did I just read holy shit.gif
2MB, 256x192px
>>382337005
>Witcher is a shitty bamham clone
>>
File: 34.png (428KB, 566x609px) Image search: [Google]
34.png
428KB, 566x609px
>>382337005
>Witcher is a shitty bamham clone
>>
File: Prey Nerf Gun 2.webm (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Prey Nerf Gun 2.webm
1MB, 1920x1080px
>>382337191
Bars on the windows.
>>382337240
You're right anon. its bamham combat with a ubisoft open world. So its closer to an assassin creed clone
>>
File: refund.png (2KB, 248x248px) Image search: [Google]
refund.png
2KB, 248x248px
>>382337005
>news outlets hyping up the crossbow as some pinnacle of freedom in level design
>"that's really cool, shame I got spoiled on it since I love discovering things"
>play the game
>you're told in over 400 notes that triggering panels is explicitly what that item is designed for, even in-universe
>>
File: real prey 2.jpg (353KB, 1280x785px) Image search: [Google]
real prey 2.jpg
353KB, 1280x785px
>>382334601

guess the game is "fine" if a bit uninspired, but it's not the swaggin' space bounty hunting that we all wanted
>>
>>382337486
Is it good at annoying coworkers? I never did try to shoot security chief & friends with it.
>>
>>382337486
To be honest stuff like using the cross bow to navigate computers and blowing up the debris is bad game design. There is always a way into a room no matter what. Doesn't matter if you sunk a bunch of points into Leverage. Fuck choices that actually matter. Just throw a god damn grenade
>>
>>382336850
What about that time you have to calibrate the looking glass and the typhon pops up behind you That part actually made me jump because the game never really does jump scares, so the few times it does are pretty effective
>>
What does it look like ... the shape in the glass?
>>
>>382337975
Fucking loud static noise jesus fuck.
>>
>>382337975
That's the best jump scare I've ever seen.
Nothing else in my 20 hours of play so far has been anywhere near like it though. That really is a one off.
I've taken a break from it because I'm fed up with new enemies always appearing when I leave and then re-enter an area. The lack of enemy variety is just getting tedious to be honest.
It also doesn't help that (combined with the enemy spawning problem) you have to do a lot of backtracking once you get a keycard to different areas. If you haven't played the game before you wouldn't know where you can and can't go.
>>
>>382337601
There's a lot of rooms that can only accessed with the crossbow or with Mimic, and I don't want that alien shit in my veins.
>>
>>382338974
>Doesn't want any of the spells that actually make combat fun

You're already an alien, anon.
>>
>>382338974
>doesn't realize he's a Typhon and Alex is using you as an experiment
>>
>>382339069
>>382339312
The actual Morgan on the station wasn't a Typhon, just the one replaying his/her experience in a simulation.
>>
It's an okayish game, repetitive after a few hours in
>>
>>382337552
Yes. It's hilarious.
>>
Its alright
Pretty enjoyable shooter, but don't expect anything too great
>>
>>382339449
Did you play the game, anon?
>>
File: image.jpg (83KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
83KB, 600x800px
>first few hours: really interesting hook grabs you in, fun navigating the station and getting accustomed to dealing with mimics and such
>mid game: fucking amazing exploration and character building, story seems to be going meh
>everything after Dahl: bullshit slog with an unsatisfying conclusion and then a cheap tweest
>>
>>382339865
Yes? The person on Talos I known as Morgan has an unknown fate, and the entire game is a simulation of his/her experience during the incident being played by a human/Typhon hybrid.
>>
>>382339610
How's the story?
>>
>>382339449
>>382339312
>>382340289

Does nobody know what a spoiler tag is?
Thread posts: 63
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.