[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it actually good or just a /v/ meme? It's on sale so

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 8

File: gothic 2.jpg (115KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
gothic 2.jpg
115KB, 1280x720px
Is it actually good or just a /v/ meme? It's on sale so I'm considering geting it.
>>
>>382333668
Yes it's good. 10/10
>>
It depends on you, really. You'll probably get mauled by the first goblin/wolf pup you encounter, and that's where you choose whether you want to dig a bit deeper to discover one of the best RPGs of all times or get mad and create a "/v/ tricked me into playing this" thread.
It's clunky and weird, it requires to savescum like you've never done before, it's also generally hard and overwhelming at first, but it's also one of the best games ever once it clicks.
>>
It is good, but don't expect too much from it.
Movement are tank-controls, and the combat is unforgiving and in need of getting used to.

It may not be a 10/10, since there are some things they did with the expansion I do not agree with, like the LP raise.

If you can speak german, you can always check out a demo, don't know if there is an english version out there.
>>
>>382333668
Yes, it's actually good.
>>
not OP, but are there any patches I need to install for this and the first game?
>>
>>382333668
the controls are kinda outdated but it's still a really good game overall
>>
>>382333668
It has horrible controls, but if you stick with it long enough to get used to the controls then it's one of the best RPGs ever.
>>
>>382335218
/thread
>>
If you need plot in your RPGs, keep walking. Gothic games are extremely simple in that regard. It however excels in always every other regard - quests, dialogues, combat, world design, progression, difficulty, music. It's also highly replayable since most quests can be done in 3-4 different ways, and joining a faction locks you out of other content.
>>
>>382333668
its the best rpg of all time
>>
>>382335603
I want to add, that you might have to tinker a bit to get the steam version to run, so keep that in mind.
Also even if the game isn't to you liking you can still refund. It should take you one hour at worst to get to the town, till then you cant decide for yourself.
>>
>>382336382
>can* decide
my bad
>>
>>382333668
No. It has aged like a carton of milk left in the desert for 15 years.

If the fact that nobody ever discusses about the content of the game other than "le best rpg ever xD" or muh khorinis is not a gigantic red flag to you, I don't know what is. There are legitimately good old games like Deus Ex and then there's gothic on the other end of the line.
>>
>>382336812
/thread
>>
>>382336812
Exactly what part of Gothic has "aged", again?
>>
>>382336812
Nah, you just didn't pay attention to to threads about it until based "it's time to discuss the best rpg ever" anon turned it into a meme
>>
>>382336812
this

there is one poster who makes daily gothic threads about how it's the best RPG ever made, but it's just mediocre - the voice acting is terrible, the controls are abysmal, the story is the most clichéd thing you've ever heard and isn't interestign at all, but on the other hand, the world-building and quests are okay

it's like a 6/10
>>
It's just 2$, are you poor or something? It's guaranteed to be better than whatever indie shit you have in your library now
>>
Play 1 first. There's usually a bundle with the first 3 in it for like $2,50. 1 has ungodly controlls that will need time to get used to and it might cause some trouble on modern PCs so keep this link handy.

https://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Gothic
>>
>>382336992
Everything? Combat, visuals, voice-acting and controls.

Don't bother posting that fucking combat webm and then say it's the best combat system ever. I do not fucking care.
>>
>>382337142
At least you admit it. You'd prefer an rpg with smooth controls and dogshit combat with a boring as fuck world and dead as fuck npcs with a "good story" over a game with generally no plot and obtuse yet precise controls with some of the best attention to detail world, npcs, quests, and cities.
>>
>>382337370
>with some of the best attention to detail world, npcs, quests, and cities.

Yeah, it's so great that nobody discusses about it. Stop fooling yourself into thinking that gothic is anything more than mediocre.
>>
>>382337370
Having an okay-ish world and okay quests isn't enough to make up for it when everything else is terrible, anon.
>>
File: 1411798792113.jpg (38KB, 537x515px) Image search: [Google]
1411798792113.jpg
38KB, 537x515px
>>382337370
>it's okay for a game to have bad gameplay as long as--
stop
>>
First gothic thread in a while with people hating on it. Ive never played the games, but was considering it after all the "greatest rpg" threads about it.
>>
>tfw actually enjoyed gothic 3 because I manage to slay a village of orcs with that shitty combat system
please forgive me
>>
>>382338029
It's 16 years old and it shows at some points. When gothic 1 came out there weren't really any RPGs with action gameplay like it, so they experimented quite a bit. It feels clunky but when you play for a couple of hours it actually makes sense why they made it the way it is. It looks like complete ass though and sometimes the AI bugs out which can either be funny or it ends up killing your quest NPC or some other stuff. It's definetly not a bad game but I'd lie if I'd give it a 10/10 without the nostalgia. When it comes to the world, npcs and general immersion of the game there's nothing quite like it though.
>>
>>382333668
disregard the graphics, its very good.
>>
>>382338029
It's just an average game, there really is nothing special about it.

There are other better RPGs from the same period, like Morrowind or KOTOR.
>>
>>382333668
it's a meme.
>>
It's really good and I'm not a slav
>>
Why does gothic combat get a pass and witcher 3's doesnt? Witcher 3's combat is more difficult on death march difficulty and is more fun.

Why is gothic 2 considered the best rpg even though it has no character creator, when witcher 3 isnt even considered an rpg because it has none?
>>
>>382333668
game is fucking shit, honestly this is another one of those "/v/ treasures" thats just over rated shit . its boring slow and clunky, nothing works right, /v/ only likes it cause it was the first to do it
>>
>>382337798
>>382337846
But it's literally the best. Not a single game out there has a world/city or npcs as believable as Gothic when it comes to schedules and interactivity. Same with quest design and how they fit into the static feel of the world.
>>382337947
I explained how unusual yet precise controls are better than smooth and intuitive controls with brain dead or completely absent mechanics. I'm describing why Gothic combat is better than skyrim combat.
>>
>>382338845
>But it's literally the best. Not a single game out there has a world/city or npcs as believable as Gothic when it comes to schedules and interactivity. Same with quest design and how they fit into the static feel of the world.
what about the witcher 3
>>
>>382339047
He hasnt played it. Hes a neet with an outdated pc from 2010 that cant run it.
>>
It aged like milk and has perhaps the worst combat in any RPG ever made joined with americn accents every where and characters smoking for no reason other than to be edgy
>>
>>382339047
Witcher 3 wins in scale but not scope. The quests are not tied to world design in any fashion. Witcher senses and talking to npcs is one kind of story based on rails entertainment, but the way Gothic does EVERYTHING without hiding markers is another thing entirely. The level of immersion is off the charts. Plus, in Witcher you can only talk to npcs if they have a quest for you. Novigrad might *look* more realistic than khoronis or the old camp, but the level of interaction is barely more than GTA which makes it *feel* less realistic
>>
>>382339047
>Witcher 3
>Believable NPCs
HAHAHA
>>
>>382339150
I have a 1080ti you retarded dumbass and I've played through Tw3 two times from beginning to end. I love it, but I won't pretend that even the best rpg of the modern age hasn't casualized for the worse major game design elements featured in games like Gothic and Thief
>>
File: 1495307988692.png (159KB, 356x1768px) Image search: [Google]
1495307988692.png
159KB, 356x1768px
>>
File: 1482908279359.jpg (35KB, 540x540px) Image search: [Google]
1482908279359.jpg
35KB, 540x540px
Talking about this series how is the first Risen?

It looks pretty decent
>>
File: 1495305057038.png (21KB, 638x495px) Image search: [Google]
1495305057038.png
21KB, 638x495px
>>
>>382339552
it's like a more modern version of G2, it's pretty good
>>
>>382339552
Its decently polished but it has its problems. Level design for example. Very early on they will throw side paths at you with enemies you can't even attempt to fight without at least another 6 level ups and the first hour of the game is just running around talking to NPCs
>>
File: idol.jpg (11KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
idol.jpg
11KB, 225x225px
>>382333668

One of the greatest RPGs ever made.
But keep in mind that Gothic II is >15 years old and so the controls are clunky and the graphics butt ugly.

If you decide to buy it get some of the community mods that fix some issues with newer OS and graphics.
>>
File: G2 Crypt.png (2MB, 1435x784px) Image search: [Google]
G2 Crypt.png
2MB, 1435x784px
>>
>>382339748

If you've got a decent strategy and know how the battle system works you can take on every enemy even on level 1...
>>
File: nebelturm.png (1MB, 1280x800px) Image search: [Google]
nebelturm.png
1MB, 1280x800px
[rattling intensifies]
>>
>>382339552
Risen is decent. Gameplay-wise it feels more like an alternative evolutionary path to Gothic 1 instead of something building on Gothic 2, but it's decent.
>>
Hey guys i know Risen 1 is pretty decent and 2 is decent too (inb4 its shit). How is 3?
>>
>>382338493
I've yet to play Morrowind but even if I go back to that time period and read discussions comparing the two games it reads as if they're talking about Skyrim with bizarre precognition. Overwhelming view seems to be that Gothic 2 is better and if that's the case I can see why.

https://forum.beyond3d.com/threads/gothic-2-or-morrowind.27465/
>>
>>382340084
Finally someone understands
>>
>>382340084
how the fuck do i kill the tavern guy, he reks me everytime
>>
>>382338631
Witcher 3 is new and popular. Gothic 2 is old and not that well know. It's the same reason they pretend VtMB and New Vegas are some underrated masterpieces despite their shitty gameplay but when it comes to Witcher average gameplay makes it a movie and not a game.
That's not to say those 2 aren't also good games.
>>
>>382342414
block, strike, block, strike, block, strike
ez
>>
>>382333668
It's excellent, play the first one first tho
>>
>>382343209
How can New Vegas possible be an underrated masterpiece? Everyone and their dog praises it.
>>
>>382343756
Cept for the billion tards that think 3 and 4 are better
Thread posts: 60
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.