[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How does Microsoft plan on making a profit on the 2 billion they

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 4

File: minecraft-2-download.jpg (67KB, 600x336px) Image search: [Google]
minecraft-2-download.jpg
67KB, 600x336px
How does Microsoft plan on making a profit on the 2 billion they spent on mojang?
>>
minecraft now has inbuilt telemetry
>>
they already did with merchandise and all the ports of the game.
>>
>>382304309
by selling OS's like they do on all microsoft purchases
>>
>>382304309
dont make it for ps5
win 10 exclusive but also on xbox
>>
>>382304309
They've already made it back with releasing versions on every system, telltale game, and additional merchandise.
>>
Have you seen the children with all the merchandise?
>>
Either:

A) Play the long con and get royalties on the exclusivity, spin-offs, and merchandising that's inevitably going to happen.

Or:

B) They don't, knowing full well that it won't. It's a standard business practice to buy an IP and then sit on it 'till the end of time, if only to keep their competitors from using it.
>>
>>382304309
Your image says it all
Minecraft 2, exclusive to Windows 10 and Xbox.

We're at that point already, as Microsoft just announced official shader support will only exist on Windows 10 and Xbox (the two platforms running the C++ based version).
>>
they dont. this is either a) marketing, the ability to mention microsoft more or b) to keep it away from any other market. imagine if mac got their hands on this and made this a mac exclusive? yes, ignore the outrage and massive backlash, its an extreme example, but thats whats microsoft is exempting effectively.
"Minecraft: only on sony products"
or
"Minecraft: only on apple products". the draw of this shit is fucking massive and it becoming/and or getting better support on a system could be a sway away from them and to someone else. microsoft bought linkdln for 26 billion, minecraft is this tiny drop in the bucket some bigwig decided was worth making sure no one else got their grubby little hands on

shiiiet, even just "minecraft 2, only for nintendo switch"
minecrafts sold almost as many copys as there are playstation 2`s on planet earth. people are so fucking salty that they include copys of tetris that CAME with phones as sold copys of tetris just to make sure minecraft dosent count as best selling game of all time ever
>yfw tetris copys with phones count but the pinball game with windows xp dosent, even tho it would it would count as 600 fucking million, double tetris nearly
>>
>>382304309
Minecraft generates around 73 million a year on selling the game alone. Throw in merchandise, spin-offs, licensing deals, paid servers, branding, etc. and it's considerably more.

The 2.5 billion Microsoft spent on buying out Mojang would only generate around 25 million a year doing nothing but gathering interest in a bank. The thing rich people and big corporations understand is money that sits around being stockpiled and doing nothing is worthless.
>>
How much did it sell post microsoft purchase?
>>
>>382304823
Is that pinball game available for purchase or is it exclusively a bundle-in?
>>
>>382305401
>lose 2.5 billion so you can make 45ish million a year
welp, itll pay itself off about 10 years after everyone who made that decision is dead
>>
>>382305528
>45ish
You wot
>>
Well I for one bought it in alpha, an I apparently have to buy it again if I want to play.
>>
File: 1447053834671.jpg (52KB, 346x339px) Image search: [Google]
1447053834671.jpg
52KB, 346x339px
>>382305587
if you were already making 25 million a year in interest, and you move up to 73 million a year, your only making 48 million more.

seeing that both measurements were estimates, "about", i just rounded that shit off. if they literally sat on their asses, they would have 2.5 billion AND that not accounting for compound interest 55 years worth of 25 million interest. theyd be sitting on 3.8 billion, instead of in 55 years just breaking even on their original 2.5 billion

THIS of course, assuming that minecraft makes that money and remains that popular, every year....for 55 fucking years
>>
>>382305528
My point is the 2.5 billion was only generating 25 million a year while Minecraft is generating over 100 million a year. It does seem counter-intuitive to a point, but really money that sits around is worthless to big corporations. And as others have mentioned, there's a lot of other perks that went along with their purchase, like expanding their own brand.
>>
>>382305976
This whole discussion would be great if Apple didn't have 250 billion dollars sitting around doing nothing
>>
>>382305976
maybe, but if that money dosent make people money in their lifetimes its a silly decision.
>>
File: 1497636249527.png (975KB, 1280x1384px) Image search: [Google]
1497636249527.png
975KB, 1280x1384px
>>382306056
>>382306095
You guys don't understand. Their mentality isn't, "I need XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX amount of money before I die", it's, "I need XXXXXXXXXXX amount of money coming in every month until I die."
>>
>>382305454
It was a system seller
>>
It comes out on every platform in existence and faggots buy it for everything they can. It's a standard. It's the second best selling game of all time, behind Tetris.

There will be sequels. Movies. Expect Lego, Mario/Nintendo, Star Wars levels of franchise related nonsense. People being born right now will most likely die at a ripe old age while Minecraft related bullshit will still be coming out.

The fact that Microsoft owns the largest franchise of this day more than makes up for any costs. Their name is directly attached to the coming generation's favorite activity.

A couple billion is nothing for this type of bottled lightning. Do you think Facebook ever plans to make back the 18 BILLION they spent on Instagram? No, they're not retarded. They just saw that it was about to make them irrelevant to every one younger than dirt.

Notch could have made as much as he fucking wanted. I think he just wanted to be rid of it. He could have been one of the wealthiest people on the planet if he wanted. Double digit billionaire. Minecraft is that big of a fucking deal.

lmao. What a world.
>>
File: 1425240891213.jpg (48KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1425240891213.jpg
48KB, 600x600px
You poor fools, assuming that money is the only motivating factor here. You're severely underestimating the power of having such a recognizable brand in your back pocket, that will leave a lasting imprint on generations to come.

By the way, what would you say to me if I were to ask you how I could search for specific information online?
>>
>>382306930
There are already legos for it and there is an official Mario theme for the Nintendo versions of the game.
>>
>>382307245
Yep, but this shit is not going away. It will be everywhere for at least a couple of decades.
>>
>>382306930
>>382306938
This. They pulled a Walt Disney which is the best move you could make. 2.5 billion is nothing to a 85 billion dollar company to begin with, and now they can shove their cock into the entire first world and most of the second/third world.
>>
>>382306930
>tetris

Fuck off it was a bundle in with Gameboy it doesn't count.
>>
>>382307396
based microsoft
>>
>>382306358
okay, split the amount they kept and divide it over 55 years. wew, zero effort and you can tell your boss you made DOUBLE
>>
>>382304309
It's sold over 100m copies
100m * $20 a copy = 2 billion
>>
>>382309623
It sold lots of those before the sale to microsoft right?
>>
>>382309623
>neglecting the distributor's chunk of the price tag
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.