[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

When will Linux be a viable gaming platform? I'm on Windows

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 156
Thread images: 11

When will Linux be a viable gaming platform? I'm on Windows 7 and once support for it is gone I'm not gonna upgrade to 10 or whatever fucking new version is available
>>
Oh no... support is gone... Whatever will we do? We'll miss out on all those great directx games, uhhh
>>
>>382293965
never

>there are people who pay for an inferior, bloated product to reinforce microsoft's near monopoly
>>
I already use it for a majority of my games.
>>
>>382293965

When the entertainment industry fully supports Linux. So, never.
>>
>>382294363
>>382294751
But I heard Linux is getting more and more popular.

>>382294641
Using Wine doesn't count.
>>
>>382295813
>Using software available on your platform of choice isn't allowed
Okay, I still can and do play a majority of my games on Linux
>>
I dual boot linux but its still got a ways to go before its a good gaming platform. Hopefully Vulkan takes off more because it allows for easy linux support. I know Mad Max has Vulkan exclusively on Linux but I'm not sure if any others do.
>>
File: Riddler_009.jpg (14KB, 180x274px) Image search: [Google]
Riddler_009.jpg
14KB, 180x274px
>>382294363
explain to me how it's possible to "pay for linux"
>>
File: iqrrn3nf.png (38KB, 120x201px) Image search: [Google]
iqrrn3nf.png
38KB, 120x201px
>>382294641
What games? Do they run well? I've considered switching over to linux, not because I hate windows but because I feel liked it'd be a nice change of pace. I don't want to lose all my games or jump through hoops just to get them running all the while losing out on performance.
>>
>>382293965
Use win8.1
>>
I use Linux primarily. There's plenty of games if you're willing to take the performance hit of less optimized drivers. War Thunder, RimWorld, Prison Architect all run fine. about 1/4 of the games I have on Steam run on Linux.

But I'm a programmer and a sysadmin, I'm working on my own game. Most of the time I spend on the computer isn't playing the latest AAA games.
>>
>>382293965
Not unless a majority of people use it. Products go where the money is, they don't create markets, and the people go whereever is convenient.

So Linux is never going to be a viable videogames platform.
>>
>>382296942
you can pay for a physical copy of a distro installation medium, such as a disc.
>>
>>382297179
There's a heavy push from Valve that has been trickling down for years. Plenty of super high up people in the game industry _hate_ Windows 10 and _hate_ the Microsoft Store. They don't want to be held hostage anymore, it's not ideological, it's 100% business.

Specifically, the dependence on DirectX will be going away with Vulkan being a real competitor and OpenGL becoming a standard option in engines due to the huge financial push to support iOS and Android with your engine. If you go to the Steam Developer Conference thingies they have talks about crossplatform support all the time, with a focus on Linux.

Steambox might be a meme, but Steam on Linux is not.
>>
>>382297046
You need to use Wine to play the latest games
>>
>>382296942
Well Debian charges for support, but I think he meant the steam OS system.
>>382297046
Check the games store page, on steam, and see if it works on steam OS. If it doesn't, it likely won't work natively through steam.
Otherwise just a quick search for them should bring up their compatibility with Linux.
Guild wars 1 and 2, a number of roguelikes, Divinity series, many emulated games.
>Inb4 some anon says emulated games don't count.
Basically it might take more initial setup, but you'll be free from forced updates , being locked out of administrating your OS, and you using vulkan will spur developers to make more support for it through statistics gathering.
>>
If you can't play it on Linux, it's probably not worth it anyway. Prove me wrong.
>>
>>382296942
professional linux guy here. You pay for support contracts, primarily. That primarily means Red Hat Enterprise License (free alternative being CentOS). I've worked with both, paying the RHEL license is a meme and their extra support is a joke. The main thing is paying for licenses make business suits feel warm and fuzzy on the inside.

>>382297481
>Well Debian charges for support
this isn't true, that's Canonical and Ubuntu.
>>
>>382297567
I enjoy senran kagura and final fantasy 10 and 13, but you're basically right
>>
>>382297442
Alright, if they get some big pushers to help spread some convenient, easy to install and use "standardized" linux package for the clinically retarded then yeah I guess we might see some change.

I wouldn't mind, not really fond of Windows either it's just that I pretty much just spend all my time playing videogames.
>>
>>382297684
AppImage does that. I personally am not a fan of AppImage because I actually understand package managers and dynamically loading libraries, but plebs do not.

AppImage are borderline Docker images or something. OpenShot (video editing software) distributes as AppImages now and it really does "just work".
>>
>>382297653
Sorry, for some reason I said Debian but I meant red hat. And even that that's only for Enterprise as far as I know. But yeah, you're right.
>>382297684
Honestly, people's reluctance to switch is just baby duck syndrome. They're scared of learning something new, but everyone has to learn how to use computers at some point. A benefit of knowing Linux is you can work both Linux and MS systems, vs only being able to work MS systems if you only use Windows. Also, if you're interested and have the right stuff and the ability to read and tinker, you can set up KVM and run Windows basically at native speeds though a virtual machine for those games not on Linux that you can't live without
>>
>>382297684
Also, really depending on how complicated and modular your software is, AppImage is pretty redundant.

I'm working on my own game and I'm statically compiling my dependencies into my binary for distribution which provides the same "just execute" benefit as an AppImage. The reason you _don't_ normally do this is often times you want to be able to update system libraries outside of the software itself, because of bugs or security. Though this could specifically be a problem for games as things (lets say font rendering in FreeType) might actually change from version to version, which could be bad, even if "better".
>>
>>382297464
Is there a considerable performance hit using Wine?
>>
I don't see the need for Linux. Windows 10 is just fine fo-ALERT, YOUR COMPUTER MUST RESTART IN 15 MINUTES TO DOWNLOAD UPDATES, PLEASE CLOSE ALL FILES BEFORE CONTINUING
>>
>>382298368
Yes, maybe, almost all 3D rendered games run slower on Linux because of shittier drivers, even with the "good" NVIDIA drivers. Whether it's Wine or not might not actually matter.

I'm not gonna bullshit you, performance is near universally worse on Linux when it comes to graphics APIs. It's improved a lot, with NVIDIA hiring organizations like LunarG to help optimize.
>>
>>382293965
It is viable but don't expect issues to be solved quick.
>>
>being this much of a hipster

There's nothing wrong with Windows 10. You can make it function almost exactly like W7 does, and modify the shell to make it visually similar.

>muh privacy doe

Says everyone while using goyphones and various proprietary bullshit as software or websites on their computers as it is.
>>
>>382298525
What about poo graphics drivers?
>>
>>382298454
Regardless of all the bullshit MS did to get it installed on people's computers, that issue is near the top of reasons why I'll never install 10. If I can't admin my own system when I want, how I want, for as long as I want, the system is shit. W10 restricts that to the point of needing registry hacks and third party software just to manage shit, it's stupid.
>>382298525
Indeed, but as vulkan shirt support grows those graphics issues will go down
>>
>>382298672
>muh privacy
Imbecile.
It's not about dodging the unavoidable botnet. It's about freedom, having choices.
>>
File: 1ecofxgy9f6z.png (808KB, 1080x1238px) Image search: [Google]
1ecofxgy9f6z.png
808KB, 1080x1238px
>>382294050
fpbp
vulkan will take off as it has most of the benefits of directx12(minus directinput/directsound) without the windows 10 only userbase
>>
File: 1475269453709.png (63KB, 838x801px) Image search: [Google]
1475269453709.png
63KB, 838x801px
>>382298689
they're worse
>>
>>382298843
This argument doesn't hold up unless you're using free software exclusively as it is. For the average person accustomed to using W7, there are no "choices" they'd notice missing.
>>
>>382293965
Honestly, probably never. Linux gaming is caught in a vicious cycle: there's very little official support because there's barely any audience compared to Windows and even macOS, and there's no audience because there's hardly any support.
>>
>>382298672
Sorry, being locked down and having my choices stripped from me is not my idea of a good operating system. And there is a difference between your online presence being mined, which I disagree with allowing, and with your own operating system mining your files for data to sell.
>>382298843
This
>>382299001
But even on 7 without only open software you still have a choice in how to admin your stuff. What to update, what to not update, what to block. And it stays that way
>>
>>382299102
See
>>382297442
>>
>>382299102
>vicious cycle
this isn't true, because it isn't getting worse, it's getting better (slowly).

The fact of the matter is it takes like a decade before end users see the result of any of this shit. But it's all happening at the top levels and it is already in the hands of software developers. We've seen a big push in gaming to support Linux and we see more of it than ever with near universal support from game engines like Unity that are more popular than ever.
>>
>>382299102
If micropenis decided to antagonize steam with the meme store, could steam become a game changer? As in, abandoning windows and supporting linux/apple exclusively? Hypothetically, of course.
>>
>>382299401
>abandoning windows and supporting linux/apple exclusively
never, it's about universal support, not cutting off marketshare.
>>
>>382299401
They'd never shoot themselves in the foot like that, but their movements now are to prevent themselves from getting screwed were MS to push such a store or other underhanded tactics that make steam seem unfavorable.
>>
The only thing stopping me from completely switching to linux is the game support.
I hate M$ and I hate how vulnerable Windows is if you act retarded even once.
>>
>>382293965
It's fairly viable now, through steam, and it only seems to get more accessible over time, not less.

This is coming from someone with no real dog in the fight. I mean, I use Linux Mint, but I have 4 gb of ram and a 1st gen i3 core CPU on a 2011 Sony Vaio that I got for 80 bucks a year ago. Which is to say, I prefer consoles.
>>
>>382300215
I just came to the realization that unless people start taking a stand, it's never going to happen. If a game isn't available for Linux or a console, then I just don't play the game, which means that the game producer goes without.

Granted, console play isn't as ideal as PC for a wide variety of reasons, but I'm not going to support MS and their shit-tier OS anymore. It's based on a kernal that was developed before the internet was adopted, and they've never made the changes that the needed to in order to compensate for the advent of the internet. It's a huge security nightmare due to its monolithic structure, and I refuse to support it.

Remember that me going without a dev's game means the dev goes without my money, too.
>>
PS4 uses Linux :^)
>>
>>382300260
>but I have 4 gb of ram and a 1st gen i3 core CPU on a 2011 Sony Vaio that I got for 80 bucks a year ago.
Why you do this to yourself
>>
>>382300798
Because I like to get fucked in the ass.
>>
all the linux fags in here talking like their os is going to compete like they've been saying for the past 10 years
I hope Microsoft fucks valve in the assignment because competition is a good thing and Microsoft is not some big bad monster you faggots have them out to be
>>
>>382300754
PS4 uses FreeBSD, not Linux.

>>382300798
It's a shitposting machine that also makes resumes. I don't do much else with it, nor do I want to.
>>
>>382300603
Sure you might think like that but most people don't. They think Linux is too hard to understand and that it doesn't have the accessibility Windows has.
You will never make the average Joe sit and learn the most basic linux commands.
>>
>>382300927
no
>>
>>382300927
By the way don't forget to buy Windows 10 ;)
>>
>>382301019
>>382301072
im a software engineer and dual boot both but you are delusional if you think linux will ever compete on a grand scale
go suck stallmans dick on /g/
>>
>>382300989
My 60 year old parents can get around Linux Mint just fine, and both of my parents were the kind to have their browser filled with those search bars and Bonzai Buddy, as well as a desktop filled to the brim with shortcuts.

If they can get a handle on it, literally anybody can. They just have to give it a try. Considering you can boot up Linux Mint from USB, there's literally no reason not to.
>>
>>382300927
>competition is a good thing
>but only when it winds up with microsoft on top
>>
>>382301178
If you were a software engineer, you would understand that the goal of Linux distros isn't to compete with anyone. That's like saying that a motorcycle is never going to compete with an 18 wheeler.
>>
>>382300962
>PS4 uses FreeBSD
Damn you're right
Gnucucks blown out
>>
>>382293965
Linux is already viable.
>>
File: 1425617379343.jpg (57KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1425617379343.jpg
57KB, 500x375px
>>382293965
yes, we are getting close to the year of linuxâ„¢
>>
>>382301371
Not really, The PS4 OS blows in comparison to the PS3 XMB, which WAS based on Linux (if memory serves). I have no idea why they thought that their new presentation was better than the old.
>>
>>382301206
I didn't say it was hard bro.
Your parents might have decided to try it out but like I said the average joe is too retarded/lazy to learn it.
>>382301178
I don't care if windows gets 99.9% of the pc market, that OS will still be shit.
>>
>>382301352
did I say that? I'm talking about everyone in here saying it will
also idk what you're smoking because every freetard in the world promises they will
>>
>>382301545
XMB was developed based on the Linux (TVs and PSP), but the PS3 is believed to use a custom OS called Cell OS. That said, the origin was linux based, and, since you aren't needing to optimize something like a cell processor, there's no reason for it not to be linux based. With the increase in RAM that the PS4 has, it would certainly be able to handle the transistion from game to XMB the way that the PS4 Orbis OS uses.
>>
>>382301735
>Your parents might have decided to try it out but like I said the average joe is too retarded/lazy to learn it.
It literally took a 5 minute conversation talking about the privacy concerns of Windows 10, as well as the problem with the monolithic archetecture, and booting up their laptop with a usb stick, to get them to decide to switch. What they needed to learn after I installed it and initially set it up was pretty much to double click on a shield icon when it appeared, as well as a couple of paragraph .txt file that I wrote.
>>
>>382302040
>being so autistic you force a hobbyist amateur OS on your parents

feel bad that they love you enough to sacrifice an OS from which they could be productive. you should have just bought them a Mac.
>>
>>382301815
Obviously not, since I'm a "freetard" and I specifically denied that it would happen.

That said, Windows is, and has been since 1993, the WORST possible choice you could pick. The ONLY reason to use it is if there is a specific program that you need that will not work on any other OS.
>>
>>382302195
>being so autistic to open your ass for your micropenis master to inseminate
Just kys neckbeard.
>>
>>382302195
What could the layman need from Windows that they couldn't also do on Linux? For most people, a fucking Chromebook would work.
>>
>>382302195
>Linux being amateur or hobbiest
It's used to run most of the internet, the world's fastest super computers, the entire Android market, and just because you're completely retarded when it comes to computers doesn't mean the desktop is hobbiest either
>>
>>382302040
here grandma and grandpa, enjoy never using a microsoft suite (inb4 libreoffice) or the numerous other products that make life better that are only available on mac and microsoft because i'm concerned about Microsoft (Wangblows haha lol get it?) storing your hillary clinton google searches and using it against you in the next alien war. Oh, and here's this hat I made for you but don't mind the tinfoil! ;-^).
Oh! If you ever need help (even though you don't know shit about computers) and let's face it, you definitely will because all linux distros have some annoying bugs that will piss you off to no end, it's just a google search away! Love you!
>>
>>382302195
>sacrifice an OS from which they could be productive
I guarantee you that anon's parents use their computer as nothing more than an internet machine, like most people do.
>>
>OS designed to be less "restrictive"
>Almost no popular software works on it
LOL. Linux autists never cease to amaze.
>>
>>382302430
>inb4 libreoffice
Which works if your parents are familiar with MS Office 2003 or earlier. You don't get to dismiss it without saying why you dismiss it.

>or the numerous other products that make life better
Such as? Genuinely curious.

>storing your hillary clinton google searches and using it against you in the next alien war
I don't have to provide a reason for them to have privacy concerns. Most people have them anyways (ironically, as they use their Android phones).

Could you also tell me why you have such a blind loyalty to the worst architecture imaginable for a machine connected to the internet? Why do you like Microsoft so much? I'm truly curious.
>>
>>382302430
That is probably the loveliest straw man I have ever seen. What did you name it?
Libre office works fine, and newer MS office stuff offers nothing new that you must use it for.
>>
>>382302453
>his parents buy a printer and scanner
>uh oh, it requires proprietary drivers not on gaynu, better have to waste an hour calling anon to help fix it
>his parents buy a USB flashdrive
>uh oh, it doesn't just werk, better call anon to waste more time to get walked through on how to mount it
>whoops, permissions! now they can't transfer photos over to their friend Sally's laptop

yeah, nah. you buy your parents a Mac, not install cheapo linux on their computers.
>>
File: 1492358725354.png (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1492358725354.png
2MB, 1920x1080px
>>382302709
>uh oh, it requires proprietary drivers not on gaynu, better have to waste an hour calling anon to help fix it
What printers are you buying? Literally every printer I've ever purchased has just werked.
>implying that there's literally any chance of a USB drive not just werking
Oh, I see, you're retarded.
>>
>>382302709
But anon, the Linux kernel has some of the best generic drivers I've seen. I've never had an issue plugging in a USB stick and having it not work. Some printers? Sure, but any printer I've had to use my laptop on has worked fine.
>>
>>382302709
I have yet to run into a printer or a flashdrive that doesn't work on Linux Mint. I've literally hooked up an HP Laserjet M13191 MFP, which is more than a decade old, and have them work on Mint.
>>
>>382302834
I've had several drivers not work out of the box on ubuntu which, if any distro has the most popular drivers, it should. This includes touchpad, mouse, and audio. I'm sorry, but most people want something that "just works"
>>
>>382302969
I've yet to run into any of the issues that you claim to have. Not saying they don't exist, but your issues are in the minority of modern computing devices (modern being any device made since, say Windows XP).
>>
>>382302886
>using a bloated kernel full of a million generic drivers for one scanner and printer
>>
>>382302969
List them
>>
>>382302969
Okay but you were talking about printers and USB drives. Are you just throwing out hardware devices in the hopes that one of them won't work? Also, all the devices you shotgunned there
>>
>>382302690
I use libreoffice, but it is definitely not even close to being as robust as microsoft's suite

I don't have blind loyalty. I use both. I just don't see Microsoft as a big evil person. If you had said this 10 years ago I might agree with you, but not anymore. They are currently one of the largest contributors to OSS in recent times.

I also don't think W10 is as bad as people make it out to be. It's hyped up because of the stigma people have carried from 10 years ago.
>>
>>382303118
What does generic mean to you? They are generic ffs.
>>
>>382303138
I'm not the same guy.
>>
>>382303118
Linux Mint is full of most of those drivers, and is still MUCH less bloated than Windows Vista, 7, 8/8.1, and 10.

Windows is bloated because of their fucktarded kernel architecture that they never rebuild, just patch. it's a kernel that was rotten a couple of months after it released, and they just keep slapping new shit onto it, while constantly having to patch what shouldn't exist anymore, and shouldn't have existed nearly a quarter of a century ago.
>>
>>382303150
It doesn't need to be robust. Newer MS office software has nothing that is revolutionary and necessary
>>
>>382303150
What does Microsoft's suite do for the layman that libreoffice doesn't? And, if, as a layman, you still wish to collaborate online (for whatever reason), why would Google's shit be completely untennable (again, for a LAYMAN)?
>>
>>382293965
If Vulkan really is the best thing since sliced bread and everyone makes Linux drivers for it; then you could run Linux from Scratch builds and still be able to play AAA games.
>>
>>382295813
>But I heard Linux is getting more and more popular.
Not necessarily. What's happening is that there are more computers out there, available to the public.

It is absolutely true that there are more linux machines today than there were 3, 5, or 10 years ago. It's also true that there are more machines in general today than 3, 5, or 10 years ago.

General computing wise, Microsoft is still king. When they tell their fanbase to jump, they say "How do you want me to pay for that, sir?"
>>
>>382303662
If developers made games for Vulkan and if those games were made to be compatible for Linux, yes.
>>
Never. Gaming is not going to work on an open source platform. Video games are a bitch to develop to play nice with the million desktop environments, distros, and whatnot going around. Open source is great for some things but not games
>>
>>382297442
If Vulkan takes over, MacOS will become the target platform.

It's just us nerds running BSD and Arch will be able to take advantage of that as well.
>>
>>382303735
Android is Linux based, anon. Laptops and desktops are getting replaced in the non-professional world with tablets and phones. Less than 2 years ago, Google said there were more than 1.4 billion ACTIVE Android devices in the world, and google play had 1 billion active users in "the last 30 days, (Article was written Sept 29, 2015)."

There is no way that one can claim that Linux's marketshare isn't growing.
>>
>>382302709
printer support on Linux is often better than Windows.

Windows can't do shit without some insane bloated driver. Linux supports most stuff out of the box.

>>382303820
>gamers
>paying for Apple hardware
that's not how this works anon
>>
>>382303820
Mac OS isn't a bad OS. It's just retardedly expensive for the hardware that you get. Mac OS won't take over so long as you can't build your own Mac.
>>
>>382303804
>Open source drivers make it hard to develop for lots of architectures.
If they're consistent across all platforms it makes it easier
>>
>>382303927
that's a pretty big if don't you think?
>>
when will linux be an os i can install simply by hitting next and not reading anything?

that's more important to me than pc games
>>
>>382293965
>When will Linux be a viable gaming platform?
Never.
>>
>>382303965
No. The open source drivers are constant across architectures
>>382303995
Have been able to do that in Ubuntu for like a decade
>>382304009
Read the thread
>>
>>382303995
Linux Mint and Ubuntu do this out of the box. I mean, I would recommend that you read it, and choose what you want (like proprietary drivers that allow you to play mp3s, or encrypting your hard drive/home folder), but you most certainly don't have to.
>>
>>382304035
no i tried it before, slightly less than a decade ago
it was not totally idiot proof
not that I need it idiot proof but I love things that "just work" for example windows 7
>>
>>382303927
wasn't talking about drivers, that shit's the same everywhere.
the issue with linux is that not many things are consistent. you have the same drivers, and presumably you're running something based on ubuntu, and that's it. open source means that any group of nerds can make their own audio driver, or desktop environment, or networking driver, or whatever and you have this huge mess of "standards" all being packed into different distros.
Devs are not going to patch a bug that appears because of an interaction with some random program unless it's something included in a very mainstream distro like SteamOS or Ubuntu, and running only vanilla Ubuntu kinda beats the entire fucking point of Linux in the first place. Not a platform for gaming dude.If you think that you can feasibly use Linux for anything beyond servers, some development, or very basic tasks then you're autistic. Don't be that guy who shows up with the powerpoint presentation with formatting all fucked up because you made it in Libreoffice but your buddy's laptop is running Microsoft Office.
>>
>>382304210
Linux Mint. It's literally a tiny window with 5 pages. If you don't need 3rd party proprietary drivers (in which case, you check a box), or use a keyboard that isn't set up in the American fashion (at which point, scroll down and select which keyboard you want to use), or encrypt your hard drive, or dual-boot, you have to do nothing but hit "next," until "Install," appears.
>>
>>382304234
>and running only vanilla Ubuntu kinda beats the entire fucking point of Linux in the first place.
What's the point of running Linux in the first place? For me, it's having a system that works for me without having a shit ton of problems like MS, or paying through the nose for Apple, and Linux Mint does this the best for me, having used nothing but windows from the time I was 6 to the time I was 28.
>>
File: 1497511454949.gif (3MB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
1497511454949.gif
3MB, 480x270px
>>382298843
>It's about freedom, having choices.

He types this while he has Steam installed.
>>
>>382304338
i liked mint the best out of what I tried
they need to make it even more like windows in every conceivable way, then it will be great
>>
>>382304234
While your idea on what open source is is mostly right, you don't get some random Joe submitting a driver patch for a HP printer. Companies have teams developing the drivers. And you can remove what components you don't want, and again you just assume they don't check what's being added to the code. I would never be "that guy" because I know how to use my Linux machine to output file types that won't conflict with MS and their shitty forced propriety file types
>>382304490
Choices, moron. Not being fully Foss, but it is nice to have that option.
>>
>>382304535
>They need to make it even more like Windows in every conceivable way, then it will be great.
Which Windows? Windows 7? If so, are you saying it should be exactly like Windows 7 in "every conceivable way," meaning that it should discontinue updates and support when Windows 7 does? If so, why not just stick with Windows 7?
>>
>>382298525
I thought nu-Doom and Deus Ex Mankind Divided ran better with the open source Radeon drivers?
>>
>>382304535
http://linux.oneandoneis2.org/LNW.htm
>Problem #1: Linux isn't exactly the same as Windows.

You'd be amazed how many people make this complaint. They come to Linux, expecting to find essentially a free, open-source version of Windows. Quite often, this is what they've been told to expect by over-zealous Linux users. However, it's a paradoxical hope.

The specific reasons why people try Linux vary wildly, but the overall reason boils down to one thing: They hope Linux will be better than Windows. Common yardsticks for measuring success are cost, choice, performance, and security. There are many others. But every Windows user who tries Linux, does so because they hope it will be better than what they've got.

Therein lies the problem.

It is logically impossible for any thing to be better than any other thing whilst remaining completely identical to it. A perfect copy may be equal, but it can never surpass. So when you gave Linux a try in hopes that it would be better, you were inescapably hoping that it would be different. Too many people ignore this fact, and hold up every difference between the two OSes as a Linux failure.
>>
>>382304535
What does this even mean?
>>
>>382298867
>vulkan will take off
just like opengl right
>>
>>382305435
Except it's better than opengl and being pushed by more groups
>>
>>382305661
that means literally nothing. directx12 is also better than older directxes.
>>
>>382305787
Being pushed by more groups definitively means something.
>>
With value pushing gaming on linux, maybe one day.
>>
>>382305787
More groups adopting it + the climate that MS is pushing trying to lock more developers into their platform harder than ever is making developers want to go elsewhere.
>>
I dualboot and only use Windows for games not on Linux.
>>
>>382306034
I honestly have no idea why they would even try that. It hasn't worked very well since the SNES. Keep in mind that the N64 is literally old enough to drink.
>>
File: pls look.jpg (58KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
pls look.jpg
58KB, 500x500px
Explain to me as if I were a toddler on how to dual boot into a Linux distro.
>>
>>382306103
I would dualboot if I could still easily encrypt my hard drive that way. That way I wouldn't have to use an old laptop that barely runs XP to add ringtones to my iPhone.
>>
File: dual boot.png (51KB, 996x545px)
dual boot.png
51KB, 996x545px
>>382306203
When you install Mint, there is literally an option to create a dual boot. If you select it, once you finish your install, whenever you boot up your computer, you get to choose whether Mint or Windows boots. It's that simple.

If there's any trouble whatsoever, there is help readily available:

https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/mint-install

https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/windows

https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/reserve-10
>>
>>382306203
don't bother. linux is a shit OS developed by hobbyists. it will always be a toy project until a big company like microsoft take over
>>
>>382306414
It's used for so many fucking applications and situations that you could not be more wrong. Fuck off
>>382306135
Getting desperate
>>
>>382306414
Which Linux is a shit OS? You realize you're talking about dozens of OS's, yeah?
>>
>>382306535
>Getting desperate
Just not desperate enough to make a good OS on a non-retarded kernel.
>>
>>382306591
Yeah, the Windows kernel has never been decent. Maybe one day
>>
>>382306535
the only applications that use linux are from poorfags who didn't want to pay for a good os.
>>
>>382306639
The kernel as it is will never be decent. The NT kernel was designed before the internet, and released a month or two before the internet was released. Being monolithic AND connected to the internet is stupid as hell, which is why Windows is so fucking bloated. They should have had a new kernel ready to go for Windows 95, Windows 98 at the latest. Instead, they just keep patching it.
>>
>>382306749
Which is why MS dominates the marketshare for servers, right? Wait, they've been shit on for years due to the fact that they are monolithic.
>>
>>382306749
Okay. Super computers, the internet, Android OS, weather monitoring systems...
>>
>>382296413
Vulkan will do a lot to help standardize games. What we're all waiting on is one big game to do so something with it.

I keep hoping Star Citizen or something will be that game but then I remember Vaporware.
>>
>>382306818
Android OS speaks to his point. linux only became relevant under a narrow focus with a massive company in charge.

proved his point for him just now desu
>>
>>382307034
>Pretty much every server
>Vast majority of smart phones (literally over a billion active at a time)
>Vast majority of tablets
>Chomebooks overwhelmingly used in education (30,000 new chromebooks activated per month on average).
Yeah. Extremely narrow.
>>
If only it had total support so I could ditch windows completely.
>>
>>382307193
um, sweetie, Android OS is narrow, it's built up by a multi billion dollar company specifically for consumers.
>>
>>382304035
>Read the thread
>Linux, viable gaming platform
Fine, I'll amend my statement. Not within any of our lifetimes.
>>
>>382307417
Not what we are talking about, though. We are talking about Linux. Which runs almost every server, which is on every single chromebook, is on every single android phone and is on every single android tablet.

Once again, Linux, at this point, likely has a marketshare that is bigger than MS's.
>>
>>382304719
Vulkan is a different case, and those are very rare. I don't own an AMD card. It's all hypothetical. I'm an actual Linux user, every "game changer" story you hear about Linux, usually isn't. Most of the time it's a single component that could make things better assuming all these other things happen as well. That's where we're at, we're rebuilding the plane we're flying while it's in the air.

Vulkan, better drivers, and a replacement for X11 (probably Wayland, but that is _BLEEDING EDGE_ and basically only comes on Fedora by default) are all things that need to happen, and they are, slowly.

For example I have no plans to support Wayland with the game I'm working on, on release. But I just have to flip a switch because SDL2 already has the support for it. Stuff like that doesn't really exist for Vulkan yet. Everything needs to happen before users really see it.
>>
DUDE LINUX LMAO
>>
>>382307674
you brought it up, honey. linux only has large market share through google giving it a narrow focus by making it ready for consumers. in every other instance it is for autistic virgins.
>>
>>382305435
OpenGL is very popular, it's just not as good as DirectX. That said OpenGL is used more than DirectX in total because _everything not microsoft_ including everything on your phone, which is OpenGL ES.

Vulkan is not only a performance improve, is makes it feature competitive from a graphical perspective.
>>
>>382307932
Sorry, you were talking to someone else. Linux is also used by basically every single major movie studio. The internet runs on Linux almost exclusively, and web servers are also predominantly Linux. So your "every other instance" claim is wrong.
>>
>>382293965
Linux will never be a viable platform for anything besides servers and neckbeard /g/ ricing bullshit
>>
>>382308502
>What is Android
>What are super computers
>What is anything space program related
Read the thread
>>
>>382296942

I own stock in redhat you uncultured swine.

people buy it.

>>382297046
xonotic
>>
>>382308973
>That spacing
Where did you come from? Why did you post like that?
>>
>>382293965
>When

This is the easy question to answer: when Linux starts out-performing Windows by a margin too large to ignore.

If, for example, Windows ran The Elder Scrolls 19: Skyrim Again at 30-40 FPS but Linux ran it at 60 FPS stable.

This is the type of firing power Linux needs to present in order to get a hold of the PC gaming market.

Linux needs to show a large improvement, so large that you are willing to re-learn your entire operative system to obtain it.
>>
>>382309203
Or MS being shit and people getting sick of them. Valve is big enough that their gradual push and their continued support for developing on open platforms that switching to Linux is getting less and less """"difficult""'" for normies
>>
>>382309847
>valve is gud boi meme
valvefags are the fucking worst
>>
>>382310037
I never said that. But they are the biggest force against Microsoft currently and I can support them for their open source push and not support them for their own Jewish practices
>>
>>382310037
Nobody ever said valve was good OR bad as a whole. Still, their push for developers to diversify the OSes that they release on can't possibly be seen as a negative.
Thread posts: 156
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.