[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do people have such a hard time with tank controls? In the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: resident-evil-1.jpg (42KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
resident-evil-1.jpg
42KB, 640x480px
Why do people have such a hard time with tank controls? In the right context it's perfect and not at all difficult and cancerous like people think it is. If you have difficulty with tank controls and say a game is "unplayable" because of it, die.
>>
name one context where tank controls are appropriate
>>
>>382274587
Controlling a tank.
>>
>>382274587
Around slower moving enemies in tight areas, preferably horror.
>>
>>382274587
Horror games. Restricted movement makes you feel more vulnerable.

See Silent Hill or Resident Evil for examples.
>>
>>382274638
do you think you're funny
>>
>>382274516
I agree. Any game is playable through mastery. Practice makes perfect noobs
>>
>>382274827
It's not even so much this as fixed camera angles are unparalleled for building atmosphere and tension, and tank controls make it easy to play the game without sudden changes fucking you up.

They're seriously the opposite of "clunky" in this style of game.
>>
>>382274827
Silent Hill isn't even true tank controls since you can sidestep in it
>>
>>382274516
tank controls are okay. games should have some challenge. feels good when you master tank controls. learning enemy attack patterns and dodging is so satisfying.
>>
>>382274827
while it is true the restricted moving makes the player feel vulnerable, the fact that the game has to give such an unnatural handicap to the player in order to create tension makes the fear and horror feel artificial.

a player would have to go pretty far in terms of suspension of disbelief to go along with a movement type so far from how a normal human would conduct themselves, which may not be the best for an immersive experience
>>
They're the same people that complain about every games controls. This is why virtually every game released now uses a third person camera or s first person camera. You can't fuck up no matter how retarded you are.
>>
>>382274961
any game may be playable, but that game may not be optimal in how it plays

practice may make perfect, but practicing to play a bad game won't make the game any better
>>
File: sh1_strafe2.webm (2MB, 854x480px) Image search: [Google]
sh1_strafe2.webm
2MB, 854x480px
You only need to check the past 10-12 years of the game media's history, and you'll see why:

Everything uses "standardized" control scheme now. As in, either the old Halo design, or GoW design, or AssCreed design, or RE4-based design. Sometimes, a mix of all four of above.

It's been ages since a truly unique control scheme was still used in a major game title, and now we have an entire GENERATION of gamers that have never experienced controls like those in RE/SH, MGS, old Tomb Raiders, etc. Thus, they tend to go through a major culture shock when they play such games for the first time, which starts with a disgust and denial of acceptance towards then (= they give up).
It's amazing how something as simple as LEANING is nowadays considered unique and even weird in shooters like STALKER, because next to no console shooter uses it.

This all also ties closely to another "modern" game design trend: button prompts.
Modern gamer kids expect the game to tell how things work at all times, instead of them mastering the game themselves on their own. Using the STALKER as an example again, I've seen people make post like "I didn't know this game had a flashlight!" or "You can TRADE in this game??".

>>382275345
The side steps in SH games are like these special functions you use when needed with L&R buttons, unlike modern games that are pretty much WASD / dual-stick designed with strafing in mind. Their core controls are very pure tank controls.
>>
>>382275189
you have to be real careful with fixed camera angles imo, because there needs to be a balance between what the game needs to show the player to give them a fair chance versus what the game needs to hide from the player to create tension. How much vision a camera angle needs to give a player to make the game scary without being obtrusive really varies from player to player
>>
>>382276136
now hold on a second, I'm not too keen on that last part about modern gamer kids expect the game to tell them how things work at all times.

while it may be true that most modern games provide a significant amount of in-game assistance to players, it is not unreasonable to expect a game to tell a player how things work at all times, especially in terms of mechanics and controls

following up on your STALKER example: most players who play STALKER don't know about flashlight or trade simply because they have not read the game manual. In other words, STALKER still provides an explanation of how the game functions, it's just not in the game, but instead in the manual. Most modern games do not have such manuals, and have simply opted to move the tutorial into the game itself, which isn't exactly a heinous crime in itself.

And give those kids the benefit of the doubt; maybe they simply aren't familiar without how to access the game manual on Steam or something.
>>
>>382276814
>STALKER still provides an explanation of how the game functions, it's just not in the game, but instead in the manual.
True, but being a PC game, there's the one other thing I THOUGHT to be common knowledge and practice of PC gamers, that I've shockingly have started to question though :
Checking your key-bindings and general Options before playing the game.

I mean who knows, maybe it's just me that always re-binds the Crouch key and ups the Mouse sensitivity. Perhaps I am the last player to insta-disable all Bloom and Blur + set AF to max before even checking in-game.

That being said, STALKER ain't the only example I've seen of this stuff in the past decade or so. Yes, they do lack experience on varied control styles, but it's very sad to see so many people auto-bash anything slightly different.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.