[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is there any evidence that a controller with aim assist gives

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 2

File: bike-safety-helmet.jpg (136KB, 648x457px) Image search: [Google]
bike-safety-helmet.jpg
136KB, 648x457px
Is there any evidence that a controller with aim assist gives players a reliable advantage over people using keyboard and mouse?
>>
>advantage
Not really, it's like putting a skateboard under a dog with no legs to race a greyhound
>>
>>382259202
it gives you a disadvantage if anything
aim assist is just a crutch for the baddies on consoles, otherwise fps for example would be nearly unplayable for them
>>
>>382259202
when shadowrun was released console players would tend to win everytime against pc users of equal skill.
>>
>>382259903
You got that completely backwards
>>
>>382260132
Do you have any proof?
>>
Advantage? Not really, it makes the game borderline playable for controller players.
>>
>>382259567
This, despite the joke. Aim assist on a controller is certainly better than not having aim assist on a controller, but unless the game is designed with unusually large hitboxes or designed so that an aim-assist always hits, a mouse is still a more reliable way to aim and hit something. For one, you can aim and fire at where the target will be, rather than where they are right now, and don't run into problems of the aim-assisted shot hitting the wrong area of the target, or even possibly missing. It also means you aren't forced to lock onto a specific part of the opponent, which you may not want to do.
>>
>>382260224
http://www.rahulsood.com/2010/07/console-gamers-get-killed-against-pc.html
>>
>>382259202
In general no.

There was a snap to target feature in some FPS that was an unfair feature for consoles.

COD4 was the last one I remember playing that did this. It was where you ads, shot, let go, ads shot, let go, super fast and you could clear out a room in an instant.

But that is still pretty situational.
>>
File: aaaaaasdasd.png (543KB, 942x794px) Image search: [Google]
aaaaaasdasd.png
543KB, 942x794px
>>382259202
Obviously depends on the degree of aim assist retard. A lot of console shit have full lock on, equivalent to an aimbot.

But for the level of aim assists in console multiplayer shooters, no, still not even close to a mouse and keyboard

https://www.techspot.com/news/39738-microsoft-killed-cross-platform-project-because-pc-gamers-wrecked-console-gamers.html
>>
>>382260552
This is what spawned all pc that "no scoping" and "hard scoping" horseshit that ruined online fps.
>>
>>382259202
Man as a teen, I'd turn off auto aim any console shooter I could, jack the aim movement up to as fast as possible and do fine on the hardest difficulty and then do great in MP when online became a thing.
I also did fine in arena shootans with M+KB and do fine now in whatever shooter there is, console or PC so I guess I don't get the may may. Unless I'm just that damn good?
>Even though my reaction time is slowing now that I'm 30
>>
>>382259202
Aim assist is a major disadvantage in most console shooters because it works off vectors so you could be shooting someone far away, about to kill them, then the "assist" will snap to someone closer, who likely has more health. And in MP it could be the difference between getting a kill and getting killed. I always turn off aim "assist" because it's utter rubbish, it also usually fucks up in games that aren't hitscan because it snaps to an enemy so you can't lead your shots.
>>
>>382260494
>2010
damn anon thats outdated. any sources from the last year or two
>>
>>382260494
http://news.xbox.com/2017/01/27/gears-4-versus-social-cross-play/
>750k matches
>115k unique players 91/9 split Xbox majority
>90% of matches were mixed
>W10 and Xbox players had closely matched results when comparing average k/d, score, and kills per match

So we have an actual statistics result against the vanquish "hearsay" results. Hmmmmm
>>
>>382262358
No because cross-platform play was abandoned after that experiment specifically because of that. Do you have a single other example of cross-platform FPS/RTS that wasn't immediately abandoned or isn't notorious for PC gamers having a huge advantage? Because the only one I know of is Shadowrun and that game nerfed PC players in every patch.
>>
>>382262484
>>382262358
>>382260828
See
>>382262406
>>
>>382262406
B-B-But muh PC Mastur race reddit told me Comsole players sucked
>>
>>382262594
That's nice, that's one game, that nobody on PC even plays according to your statistic, is a cover-based TPS and not an FPS, is locked to Windows 10 which serious gamers stopped using, and doesn't compare to Shadowrun where they literally had to make PC players' weapons less accurate and damaging in patches to make up for the gap caused by controllers being about as good for playing FPS as boxing gloves are for playing guitar.
>>
>>382262785
It is an objective fact that a mouse is better for an FPS than a controller, there's not really a comparison.
>>
>>382262786
>PC is superior
>Except in [x] because it's [y]
Also I play it on PC with my friends on bone and they still kick my ass so your conjecture is just as good as mine
>>
>>382262406
These aren't reliable results because they don't disclose the team's composition. A team with 4 console players + 1 PC player against 5 console players would still be considered "mixed". The real results come when you pit a team composed of 5 pc players against 5 console players.
>>
>>382263138
>PC is superior in FPS and RTS
>OH YEAH WELL LOOK AT THESE STATISTICS FROM A WINDOWS-10 ONLY COVER-BASED TPS THAT NOBODY PLAYS ON PC, SEE I'M RIGHT SHADOWRUN NEVER EXISTED SHUT UP
>>
>>382263181
>The real results come when you pit a team composed of 5 pc players against 5 console players.
But that wouldn't fit my narrative, I need to prove that a device made for controlling a spaceship in SpaceWar is as good at pointing at things on a screen as a device designed for pointing at things on a screen.
>>
>>382263247
>More conjecture
Why are you so mad that the world isn't as cut and clear dry and you vehemently say it is?
>>382263181
90% of 750k matches were mixed and the results came out are pretty close regarding k/d, score, and kills per game so the sample size is more than sufficient. If even one PC player could carry the team then I'm sure the results would have been more skewed
>>
>>382262837
At the same time, it's a matter of skill. While it is easier to aim with a mouse, and I will give you that, a skilled player on a controller will still beat the average player on KB/M as the results showed in >>382262406 There's always going to be pros on both sides that buck the norm.
But you are delusional if you think that all PC players are better than console players simply because of there hardware choice.
>>
>>382263634
What conjecture? I made none in that post.
>>
>>382263636
>At the same time, it's a matter of skill
Skill is irrelevant when your hardware caps a skill ceiling lower than that of the other paltform.
>>
>>382263820
no evidence that this is true
>>
>>382264095
Except Shadowrun, the one game where this was tried, which had to nerf PC players' weapons just to make the game fair.

And you know, the fact that a mouse is objectively more accurate no matter what your subjective experience is.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJN1VvfHO4M

>c-controllers are j-just as good guys
>>
>>382264376
That would be a skill gap, not a hardware gap. The roles weren't switched either to form a basis of comparison
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.