[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Which fantasy book series should be made into video games ?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 93
Thread images: 20

File: 23814733.jpg (38KB, 312x475px) Image search: [Google]
23814733.jpg
38KB, 312x475px
Which fantasy book series should be made into video games ?

Do you think a broken empire adaption could work ?

I'm also not totally signalling those 2 anons in the deleted LOTR thread I was talking with about black company
>>
>>382163625
Do the books get better?
I got like 2 chapters into the first one and the absurd amounts of edge made me drop it
>>
Funny enough, Wheel of Time got a pretty decent game based on the setting (set something like 150 years before the Eye of the World). First person magic spells, relatively accurately modeled levels, and the multiplayer had some neat tower defense bits.

Only thing that caused it to not be a huge hit was that System Shock 2 dropped about a week before it.
>>
>>382163625
The Red Knight.
I only read two of the books. They're alright.
>>
>>
>>382164065

YEEES

I literally wrote a comment on this in the other thread, if you don't mind I'l copy paste

"The broken empire trilogy is a great look at a piece of shit POV character, that by the end you end up rooting for anyway. One of the best anti-hero main characters I've seen.

I picked it up and at the start I was like "this is just dumb" because he is 14 when we see him and he's doing stuff a 14 year old shouldn't be able to do (they try explain he's a big lad for his age but I feel like the author should have aged him up to 17 at least) but after that and he ages up quite a bit to a fully grown adult I really started getting immersed into it and became one of my favourite series "

I wholeheartedly recommend it because Jorg actually matures while not actually being a better person
>>
File: felix gomez.jpg (56KB, 921x231px) Image search: [Google]
felix gomez.jpg
56KB, 921x231px
>>382163625
Felix Gomez series by Mario Acevedo.

It could be a CYOA type game, in the vein of Telltale, only not made by Telltale because I'd like it to not suck.
>>
>>382164128

>playing as a woman

lol
>>
File: The World of First Law-1.png (132KB, 480x320px) Image search: [Google]
The World of First Law-1.png
132KB, 480x320px
I just want a total war mod for The First Law series
>>
File: dying earth.jpg (432KB, 607x1024px) Image search: [Google]
dying earth.jpg
432KB, 607x1024px
>>382163625
I remember picking up the first book some 5 or so years ago. Dropped it after 100 or so pages. I don't even remember anything about the story, just that it was basically unreadable. Oh well.

>Which fantasy book series should be made into video games ?

That's an easy one.
>>
>>382163625
Literally the most edgy try-hard book series ever.

If you are looking for a Dark Fantasy novel try The Black Company.
>>
>>382164812
Black Company would make a fantastic RTS or TBS game.
>>
>tfw no Malazan Book of the Fallen RPG where I can BTFO ancient evils with a crossbow equipped with explosives
>>
>>382164812

>not even reading the spoiler

wew anon

Can the Malazan series be made into a video game ?

I think anyone who has read it acknowledges that you can't fit all of it into a game , you'd have to choose the genre and focus there. You could have an action RPG where you play as a soldier on the ground or an RTS or a grand strategy where you control one of the empires or nation states in the game

Which would people here prefer to play?
>>
>>382165012

>when hedge BTFO a dragon with a crossbow with explosives

Is there anything better then "AN ANCIENT EVIL" getting destroyed by a guy who knows how to use clay bombs ?
>>
>>382164812
But The Black Company is very, very badly written. The premise sounds promising, but god fuck the writing is abysmal. I don't even care if the justification is that it follows regular people who don't speak in purple prose, you can do that without an average per sentence word count of five.
>>
>>382164065

Holy shit this. I literally have never dropped a book in my entire life after having burned through the entire works of a bunch of fantasy authors, I got like four or five chapters into this one and at some point in a flashback the main character brings up that his first word was "revenge" or some shit and I just laughed so hard I couldn't go on.
>>
>>382165180

I really liked how the characters actually in the company conversed with each other, actually sounded like dudes just talkin shit while bored out of their fucking minds
>>
File: betelgeuse joker.jpg (46KB, 604x339px) Image search: [Google]
betelgeuse joker.jpg
46KB, 604x339px
>>382165180
>short sentences = bad writing
>>
>>382165185

The character realises revenge is fucking retarded and he's just really immature, he ends up deciding to unite the broken empire
>>
>>382165618

That's fine and all, anon, I just couldn't handle the absolutely absurd amounts of edge in the book, I'm glad you enjoyed it.
>>
>>382165709

I understand anon

I really wanted to drop the book early but I stuck with it because I found the concept of a post apocalyptic Europe interesting

The 2nd book is by far my favourite since the main character is forced to accept his faults and becomes far less edgy while still being a cheeky shit and an enjoyable story to follow as he comes to reason with his failures so far while still holding onto the ethics of "his times"
>>
File: wiedzmin.png (3MB, 1225x975px) Image search: [Google]
wiedzmin.png
3MB, 1225x975px
Video game series when?
>>
>>382166441

>tfw shit author got awesome video game series

at least he isn't making money off of it
>>
>>382165593
I'm sure a skilled writer could pull it off, though I doubt it would work with anything longer than a few dozen pages. But Cook is not that writer, and a few dozen pages TBC is not.
>>
Elric Saga
The main character is literally Sauron if Sauron decided to stop being an evil overlord of doom one day and left his stronghold to become a vagrant in the world that his empire has terrorized and destroyed for thousands of years.
>>
>>382166830

Isn't that overlord ?
>>
File: Dissolution.jpg (169KB, 790x1352px) Image search: [Google]
Dissolution.jpg
169KB, 790x1352px
If you are going to make a generic DnD game, at least try to do something a bit different for a change. How could they make an entire game about Menzoberranzan and not allow the player to play a Drow or pick the evil alignment?
>>
>>382166805
You're still failing to defend your retarded criterion for the quality of prose.
>>
>>382164767
>stankland
>angland
>midderland
>styria
>>
>>382163625
Didn't think anyone else on /v/ liked or even read that trilogy. You're a cool guy OP. Wish we could be friends irl.
>>
>>382167104
Overlord is about a guy who wants to be an archetypal Evil Overlord stock fantasy villain by overthrowing other evil people.

The Elric Saga is the opposite journey. Elric is already a stock Evil Overlord at the start of the series, and even slated to be the next emperor of his people, but the story is about him leaving his birthright and civilization to learn about the world his people conquered and exploited.
>>
>>382167324

we could be
>>
>>382164285
My fellow Dresden fan. This would be a fun game. Do you go Tactic RPG with it or Action RPG?
>>
>>382167386
Where do you live? Leaf-bro here.
>>
File: 51M2e6jdx4L.jpg (60KB, 333x500px) Image search: [Google]
51M2e6jdx4L.jpg
60KB, 333x500px
>>
>>382167604

Ausfag who is an immigrant from Europe
>>
>>382167201
What else is there to say? The books are unreadable schlock and that's all there is to it. Or do you want me to pirate the book from somewhere and start posting excerpts?
>>
>>382167836
Alas t'was not to be. But tell me something. The Broken Empire is basically set in a far-future post-apocalyptic Earth right? Or do you think it's an alternate world?
>>
I am stuck getting through the 8th book in the Malazan Empire series. I hear it is the worst one but I can't bring myself to like anyone in it or care. I want to finish it for the last two books. Are they worth it?
>>
>>382168074

It's europe for sure, the tall tower that his dad occupies is just a skyscraper, looking at maps this is very obvious

the AI ghost he gets the pistol off was the guy who sent the nukes flying

If you like talking about books we could add each other on discord or something

>>382168096

I'm up to the 8th book as well, I haven't got very far into it but I am feeling some of what you're saying on us getting a bunch of old characters that been out of the game for a while but I've heard the last book is the best book
>>
File: 1431403436583.jpg (226KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1431403436583.jpg
226KB, 1280x720px
>>382165012
>Malazan Book of the Fallen
Enlightened taste, one of the better magic/technology hybrid worlds ever made too. Usually that combination doesn't work very well.
>>
>>382168386

Has anyone actually read Malazan and all of its other side works including the ones still coming out ?

I've seen a lot of people read the main series but ignore the side stuff after a certain point

Also best character

WITNESS
>>
>>382168096
>I am stuck getting through the 8th book in the Malazan Empire series. I hear it is the worst one but I can't bring myself to like anyone in it or care. I want to finish it for the last two books. Are they worth it?
I'll admit it's been a while since I last read the series, and I've been meaning to reread but haven't yet. My memory though (I can't remember if it was the 8th book but that sounds right) is there was a point where I definitely felt a lull and that the various threads had gotten a little too loose, and I did lag a bit. But I also remember plowing through it and that the ultimate payoff in the last few was well worth it, and it overall remains a solid series. So I think you should get through it and finish the series off.
>>
>>382168487
>Has anyone actually read Malazan and all of its other side works including the ones still coming out ?
Not me, I read the series as it got released and I haven't gone back to it yet after finishing book 10. I had forgotten there were other side works made actually, that gives more of a reason to reread it, then I can see how some of the totally fresh (to me anyway) stuff is.
>>
File: Neuromancer_(Book) (1).jpg (28KB, 245x406px) Image search: [Google]
Neuromancer_(Book) (1).jpg
28KB, 245x406px
This deserves a AAA kind of game
>>
I need to find a good fantasy series to read on the bus. I like to read but finding worthwhile books is hard.
>>
>>382168096
8th book is Toll the Hounds isn't it?
From memory it's alright. Written slightly different from the other books though because it's being narrated by Kruppe.

I really liked the last two books in the series. They were a great payoff for all the shit that had been building up for the past books. Especially the final book.
>>
File: Crusadekino.jpg (730KB, 1287x2100px) Image search: [Google]
Crusadekino.jpg
730KB, 1287x2100px
I'm thinking an anti-musou game. You manage various conflicts within the holy war, trying to keep the various houses and generals to heel while also charging into battles.

By anti-musou the fights would of course not revolve around capturing points and mowing down enemies, but on-the-field tactics and morale management.
Maybe like Mount and Blade but with a hard focus on unit tactics and way way waaay chunkier swordplay.

The only character that would be meant to body people is THE MOST VIOLENT OF ALL MEN.
>>
>>382169026
Eh, I'm not sure. The story wasn't anything special and the two things that carried the book were Gibson's unique writing style and the at the time novelty of the setting. The latter obviously no longer applies, nor would the former in a game.
>>
>>382168845

Dancers lament is the newest book in a new trilogy focusing on Dancer and Kellenved

>>382169113

Who is more entertaining , Kruppe or Tehol and Bugg?
>>
>>382163625
Fantasy fucking sucks.
>>
>>382169098
"Good" in what way?
>>
>>382169413
I've always been a Tehol man. 5th book is best book.
>>
>>382169241

Wait, explain this written by the same guy who did Malazan

What do you mean "crusade kino" is it historical fiction or just fantasy ?
>>
>>382168363
Glad my own assessments weren't far off. While the offer is appreciated, I prefer face-to-face interaction as opposed to online.

But I will give you a personal recommendation of a dark fantasy series that is extremely underrated and similarly stars a grim anti-hero which the kids here would predictably deem to be "edgy". The Chronicles of Malus Darkblade. It's part of the Warhammer fantasy lore but you do not need to be familiar with any of it to be able to enjoy the series.
>>
>>382163625
Like you said black company would be good

Inda could be a jrpg easy

Malazan would be too big for that shit but its my literal favorite

I can see chronicles of Thomas Covenant being a single player game
>>
File: 1324736630418.jpg (3KB, 126x116px) Image search: [Google]
1324736630418.jpg
3KB, 126x116px
>Reading
>2017
Seriously? You could be working on that backlog anon, instead you waste your time on books? baka
>>
>>382169690

>tfw have a vidja and book backlog

How do I cope

>>382169585

Oh well anon, no problem I'l definitely add that book to the list, Have you read 15 hours of the imperial guard series in warhammer 40k?

One of my favourite short stories
>>
>>382169413
Tehol and Bugg easy

Kruppe got little bit tiring for me but I still loved that OP bastard
>>
>>382165043
RTS so I can fly my floating castle over the world and fling fireballs and crows at the helpless soldiers below
>>
>>382168363
>>382168669
>>382169113
Ok thanks. I will read on. I also know that there were some characters that apparently I was supposed to like, like Whiskeyjack that I just stopped liking after a while. His whole story with the one mage who died then became the queen or ruler of the bone army, names escape me at the moment, just made me grow to dislike them.
>>
File: crusade.jpg (645KB, 954x1197px) Image search: [Google]
crusade.jpg
645KB, 954x1197px
>>382169495
Its low fantasy where the first trilogy focuses on a massive continent spanning jihad/crusade, the reason for it, the REAL reason for it, and all the major players- but specifically the math magic teacher (Drusas Achamian) of a character who infiltrates and then assumes the role of the religion's messiah (Kellhus Anusurimbor, a thought monk).

It's really fucking dope and the prose is great too.
>>
>>382169893
No I haven't. 40K hasn't been my thing because I'm generally inclined towards fantasy. But I'll check it out, thanks.
>>
The Edge Chronicles
>>
>>382169905
>>382170015

Ima just drop one of my favourite interactions from the series I think its from memories of Ice

"Stonny twisted in her seat to the High Priest of Shadow.' Does your god truly know how small your brain really is? What is the issue? Elder Gods don't know the secret handshake? His mask is too realistic ?'

'He's immortal, you slut!'
>>
>>382170102

>Jihad/Crusade

Pick one and only one you fuck, and I'l decide to read it off which you choose
>>
>tfw want to write a book
>every idea I think of has already been thought of by someone else
this sucks
>>
File: IMG_1595.jpg (135KB, 886x711px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1595.jpg
135KB, 886x711px
>>382164065
I didn't even get that far. When group kills and rapes a town I pushed through but then he gets possessed by ghosts who exist because of their terrible fate and his unstoppable edge somehow pushes it back and all the others because he is just that much more dark, pained and edgey than ghosts of people murdered in horrible ways.
>>
>>382170275
memories of ice was my favorite book in the series

never 5get Itkovian
>>
>>382170585

Then take something that's already been done and polish the concept. Christ knows there's a gorrillion NYT bestsellers that can all be summarized with "woman is sad that close relative/friend is dying of cancer".
>>
File: IMG_2173.jpg (169KB, 800x922px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2173.jpg
169KB, 800x922px
>>382164995
It's called Myth: The Fallen Lords
>>
>>382169098
Malazan book of the fallen
Imagine Game of Thrones but actually well written with a better setting, more characters, tense moments that don't come from just killing off main characters and a much grander scale.
>>
File: 1498556637891.png (56KB, 491x585px) Image search: [Google]
1498556637891.png
56KB, 491x585px
>>382170441
the great ordeal is made of up of various cultures, some emulating romans, some emulating brits, some emulating asian and middle eastern and viking. Its Jisade- a Cruhad, if you will.

In fact the religion backing the war is a polytheistic one that has sublimated into a monotheisitic hiearchy. The Thousand Temples, the many-faced god, described in the Tusk, an ancient monument bearing the scriptures of the lord, as well as- and im a bit fuzzy on this, a treatise written by a in-the-flesh messiah that existed some 2000? years before the conflict told in the book.

The religion they are going against is a purely monotheistic one. The city that is the seat of the Holy Shriah (much like an imam), reminds me of a middle eastern city.

However the people they kill are just as sand-niggery if not more so, and their armies colors and equipment often sounds like cross bearing bucket helmeted skirted horse mace wielding badasses.

Its a holy war.
>>
>>382164563
A quick sentence that sums up this book series. The covers look fascinating.
>>
>>382170585
That's funny, it's the opposite for me. I don't want to write a book, but whenever I go looking for some shitty fantasy/science fiction/cyberpunk to read I'm always left with a feeling of dissatisfaction. These are genres that I should in theory enjoy, but very few authors write things I want to read about. Which just tells me that the things I want to read about are not interesting to others. Hence I have no reason to become a writer.
>>
File: On-Stranger-Tides-by-Tim-Powers.jpg (405KB, 981x1600px) Image search: [Google]
On-Stranger-Tides-by-Tim-Powers.jpg
405KB, 981x1600px
Not sure how, but somehow in some way we need another good pirate adventure game.
>>
>>382170585
That shouldn't stop you. Shit doesn't need to be original, just make it good. Find the lacking aspects in similar stories and approve upon them in your own.
>>
>>382170659
>then he gets possessed by ghosts who exist because of their terrible fate and his unstoppable edge somehow pushes it back and all the others because he is just that much more dark, pained and edgey than ghosts of people murdered in horrible ways.
That is explained later and he realizes he was a retard for even thinking that was why the ghosts fucked off
>>
>>382163625
The way magic works in Mistborn is pretty much what you'd expect in a video game, so that I guess.
>>
File: IMG_2174.jpg (30KB, 697x471px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2174.jpg
30KB, 697x471px
>>382174972
>Hey guys look how edgy I am! :Chases away ghosts and unzips katana:
>Fuck off edgelord author!
>Jokes on them, I was only pretending.
>>
>>382176151

>what is an unreliable narrator
>>
>>382163625
The ending of the last book was so fucking shit. If anyone is planning to read this don't read the 3rd book.
>>
I guess I'll ask here, Are there any books similar to the Alien movies?
>>
Redwall

I wanna be the Taggerund
>>
>>382169690
>not dividing your time between vidya, reading, and working out
>>
>>382171425
An Iraq war vet gets turned into a vampire while deployed, becomes a private eye when he gets discharged, and proceeds to have cheesy adventures in a paranormal kitchen sink world that has vampires and werewolves and aliens and El Chupacabras and such. Fun, pulpy stuff.
>>
>>382176312
You are missing the point. If it looks like shit, smells like shit, and has the texture of shit, then for all intents and purposes it is safe to say we are dealing with shit. Even if someone tries to convince you that it is just the illusion of shit.
>>
File: lin khepri.jpg (93KB, 409x1000px) Image search: [Google]
lin khepri.jpg
93KB, 409x1000px
A game that takes place in Bas-Lag (Perdido Street Station setting).

Preferably a dating sim.
>>
>>382176625

>tfw that's going to become my life when I return home 1 month early from my family from a holiday tomorrow
>>
>>382171246
The Shriah is the head of the Thousand Temples, you mong. The TT is has vague similarities to the Catholic Church it's based on, especially the Trinity/Thousand Gods thing.
The religion they're crusading against in the first trilogy is Fanimry, which is basically Islam, led by a not-Caliph, very iconoclostic and occupying the desert.
Best part is that Fanimry is basically confirmed to be the true faith. The voice Kelhus keeps hearing is the Solitary God, the Tusk was given to Men by the Inchoroi.
>>
>>382170747
Itkovian is off-brand Jesus.

Coltaine is a real hero.
>>
>>382163625
Oh hey I'm one of those Anons.
>tfw never get to experience the Battle at Charm, or the Siege of the Black Castle at Juniper, or the Fight against the Dominator in the Barrowlands.
Thread posts: 93
Thread images: 20

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.