[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Was this the best console ever made? >doesn't look completely

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 216
Thread images: 38

File: maxresdefault.jpg (70KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
70KB, 1280x720px
Was this the best console ever made?

>doesn't look completely fucking retarded
>best controller of the era with 4 shoulder buttons and rumble, the design of which has been emulated by almost every controller since
>vast library of games spanning ever genre
>ahead of its time with built-in system-link functionality that was supported by a respectable number of games
>capable of playing audio and video CDs
>system menu with memory card manager
>well-built and reliable aside from some laser issues with very early models
>thin, small, light, portable
>was incredibly developer friendly from both an economic and design point of view

Literally the most perfectly designed console to have ever existed.
>>
>>382107901
Games have aged like shit though

SNES/Genesis era was better
>>
>>382107901

Find me good second hand PS1 with original controller

Pro tips : you can't
>>
>>382107901
>perfectly designed console
>can't even do 3D graphics properly
lmao no
Playstation 2 Slim revision without the overheating issue is the best console ever made.
>>
>>382107984
Games on a system like SNES/Genesis are going to age better by default, they are 2D which hold up much better. That being said, it really depends on the game, because there are plenty of great looking 2D PS1 games like Alundra or Legend of Mana that still look incredible.
>>
>>382107901
>playstation
>when even N64 was superior
Yeah no
>>
>>382108095
>Pro tips : you can't
Funny enough, I actually did, just a few weeks ago. You have to dig a bit, but I managed to find a like-new PS1 on eBay with hookups, controller and even a preview disc for $40 after shipping. I even opened the fucker up and gave it a good inspection... literally unplayed.

>>382108150
I fucking love my N64, but from a design perspective it wasn't nearly as good of a console. The controller and general design of the system (expansion port on the bottom, what the fuck), are absolutely retarded. Games are a different story -- both have classics.
>>
>>382107901
What games from the PS1 should I play that I haven't yet?

I played SotN and REmake. I do not like Crash. I played the first Spyro. I do not like JRPGs.
>>
File: playstation-43177-11334534671.jpg (49KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
playstation-43177-11334534671.jpg
49KB, 640x480px
>>382108314
Alundra. I actually hate JRPGs too, so this game was a breath of fresh air on a system riddled with weeb shit. If you like Zelda, especially the 2D games, you'll dig it. It's pretty much a high-quality clone of ALTTP with jumping and sprinting, and much more difficult puzzles.

Also check out Medievil if you want a good action platformer.
>>
>>382107901
>3D wobbles
>2D has missing animation frames
hmm...
>>
File: 1-0003.png (2MB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
1-0003.png
2MB, 1280x960px
It's really incredible how they were able to make graphics that still hold up when you consider it had a 34Mhz CPU, 2MB Ram and 1MB VRam
>>
>>382108448
>3D wobbles
Depends on the game.

>2D has missing animation frames
Literally has nothing to do with the design of the system.
>>
>>382108464
I think it was largely due to a priority on effective use of visual tricks and art style rather than pure graphical prowess. Also, the large number of 2D games helped it stay fresh longer than other early 3D systems.
>>
>>382108505
>Depends on the game.
Every game wobbles. It's an unavoidable result of the cheap way the console does maths.

>Literally has nothing to do with the design of the system.
Except for Sony giving the middle finger to 2D games and designing the system like that
>>
>>382108679
>Every game wobbles.
Not every game, most games, but not every game, and to varying degrees. Even some N64 games had texture warping. Limitations of the era.

>Except for Sony giving the middle finger to 2D games and designing the system like that
Nothing about the way they designed the system has anything to do with "missing animation frames" in 2D games. That is completely dependent on how the developer wants to optimize their game environment. If you're talking about, say, a PS1 port of an arcade fighter port having less frames than the original release, that's because it's a less powerful system and the devs most likely had to cut frames to improve performance.
>>
>>382107901
>shitty controller that didn't even have sticks until 1998
>shitty """d-pad"""
>shitty graphics
>shovelware out the ass
>muh jrpgs
>>
>>382109108
The d-pad was good,what are you on? And in terms of games it might even be the best console ever made.
>>
>>382108884
>Not every game, most games, but not every game, and to varying degrees
Every game. It's literally unavoidable. Just less visible in some.

>Even some N64 games had texture warping.
None do, because every single pixel output by the console receives a perspective divide by z.

>Nothing about the way they designed the system has anything to do with "missing animation frames" in 2D games
Wrong. It lacks both a tile mapping chip that can easily manipulate tiles and effortlessly produce complex animations (like Saturn's VDP) or a GPU that is sufficiently flexible and programmable (like N64).

PS1's GPU can't do the kind of tile effects that the Saturn can do without doing hugely inefficient sprite-by-sprite manipulations.
>>
>>382107901
nah, 5th gen consoles were pretty weak. I'm much more fond of 4th and 6th gen personally.
>>
>>382109252
>Every game. It's literally unavoidable. Just less visible in some.
We will agree to disagree on that.

>None do, because every single pixel output by the console receives a perspective divide by z.
That is completely false. Go look at the stairs leading up to Kakariko Village in OoT. When you move, they warp like shit.

>PS1's GPU can't do the kind of tile effects that the Saturn can do without doing hugely inefficient sprite-by-sprite manipulations.
Right, like I said, optimization. It can be done, it may be resource intensive, but it can be done.
>>
>>382107901

>was incredibly developer friendly

You know NOTHING about what you speak
>>
>>382109609
compared to its competitors it was developer friendly
>>
>>382107901
Every sony console is the best console ever made.
>>
>>382109609
Compared to the N64 that shat on third parties devs so hard they all switched sides?
>>
>>382109431
>We will agree to disagree on that.
It's a literally objective part of how the console does maths. There's no sub pixel precision, there's no floating point. There's no z coordinate past a certain point in the pipeline.

>Go look at the stairs leading up to Kakariko Village in OoT. When you move, they warp like shit.
That's not warping. It's a moire pattern from the repetitive straight lines in the stair texture. Like wearing a striped shirt on TV.

>It can be done, it may be resource intensive, but it can be done.
Yes at 10 FPS if you don't run out of RAM first.
>>
>>382109609
>You know NOTHING about what you speak
Oh yeah? Enlighten me. Do you have any idea how fucking greasy Nintendo was in the 90s? On the N64, 3rd party developers would literally receive some absurd amount like 6 dollars off of every game sold, while Nintendo would cash in on the rest of it. They produced the cartridges, they published the games, they'd fucking charge the developer for manufacturing costs. It was one of the main reasons that devs abandoned Nintendo and made a mass pilgrimage to Sony.
>>
>>382107901
What is the PS2?
>>
>>382108286
>The controller and general design of the system (expansion port on the bottom, what the fuck), are absolutely retarded
You're really gonna say the controller was bad when the original playstation controller didn't even have joysticks? That's retarded.
>>
>>382109868
Certainly not developer friendly.
>>
>>382107901
>Integer only unit in calculations during rendering causes mass jitter.
Best console
>>
>>382107901
In brief, yes.

It gave birth to the best franchises ever in gaming: metal gear solid and final fantasy.
>>
>>382109962
>this is what normies actually believe
>>
File: 1496182064291.jpg (35KB, 540x540px) Image search: [Google]
1496182064291.jpg
35KB, 540x540px
>>382109739
>>382107901
This, nintendo still treated 3rd party developers like subhumans, charging them for shit that sony would do free like:
>Giving english speaking assistance to developers by phone if a sony guy was not in the studio already
>Giving fully translated dev kits, not like nintendo that gave you a japanese manual and a phone number from Japan that you could only call on japanese working hours and had to pay the long distance call, in addition of having to wait longer if an english speaking nintendo employee was not aviable (Just read Tim Stamper blogs about the nightmares they had to face, even when they were 1st party developers for the 64)
>>
File: one hand.webm (3MB, 800x568px) Image search: [Google]
one hand.webm
3MB, 800x568px
Console with the best third party support? Yes
Best console ever made? Quite possible,its either the PS1 or SNES.
>>
>>382109962
How underage are you?
>>
>>382109823
>yfw EEPROMs for saving games onto the cartridge cost 50c per cartridge in the 90s
>if you wanted it in an N64 game you had to pay Nintendo an extra $5 per cartridge for special 'Nintendo-brand' EEPROMs, using any other brand breached the N64 licensing agreement

>nobody at Nintendo went to jail for this
>>
>>382107901
Playstation 2.
>>
>>382110161
Age has nothing to do with it, the facts of my post still remain
>>
>>382110146
nintendo still does that though
>dev releases game on switch
>wants to release a patch that adds online functionality
>LOL NO PATCHES FUCK YOU
>>
>>382110285
maybe don't release a broken game
>>
>>382109904
>You're really gonna say the controller was bad when the original playstation controller didn't even have joysticks? That's retarded.
By the time the N64 released, the original dualshock was literally a year away. I'm a huge fan of the N64, I have a sizeable collection and I love games like Majora's Mask, StarFox 64, Perfect Dark and more, but you cannot seriously tell me that the N64 controller wasn't abysmally retarded in comparison to the dualshock. Moreover, the design of the console, while high-quality and fine for what it did, wasn't nearly as efficient or smartly designed as the PS1. The decision to put the expansion port on the bottom of the console meant that it was never used because producing any kind of accessories for it would be too large and expensive to make. The expandable RAM fragmented the userbase. The lack of memory cards meant you needed to buy a fucking "memory pak" separate from built-in cartridge storage and you had to fucking SWAP IT OUT every time you wanted to use rumble. It was a retarded design dude.
>>
The main thing that made the PS1 bad in hindsight was the decision to ship it with what was basically a Snes controller with 2 extra shoulder buttons for turning the camera in 3d.

Considering how awesome mandatory analog stick control and left/right/up/down camera controls turned out to be for the N64 and 3D gaming in general, it was pretty sad that nearly every PS1 game had to at least have digital dpad controls by default because not everyone owned the Dualshock.

I wish the N64 wasn't a clusterfuck of a console for developers though. You can emulate PS1 games on your coffee machine these days, but most of the N64 emulate like crap and some of them won't run at all
>>
>>382107901
It was the system I had the most fun with the games have aged poorly but fuck it ps1 4ever
>>
File: 1496054585950.gif (474KB, 200x150px) Image search: [Google]
1496054585950.gif
474KB, 200x150px
>>382110323
>haha you can't fix the one tiny game-breaking bug that only an ultor-autist living in the office would have been able to find, now you're fucked, it's your fault
>>
>>382110348
>The lack of memory cards meant you needed to buy a fucking "memory pak" separate from built-in cartridge storage and you had to fucking SWAP IT OUT every time you wanted to use rumble. It was a retarded design dude.
It was done like that BY design to punish third parties for not buying Nintendo EEPROMs for saving games straight onto the cartridge lol

Literally everything about the N64 was the result of careful planning. Yamauchi deliberately told the system architecture engineers to make the console as complicated and difficult as possible in order to weed out third party developers who weren't 'serious' enough to develop a game for the glorious Nintendo platform.
>>
>>382110285
What's this about no patches?
>>
>>382110424
I'll give you that, it would have been nice to have dual analog from the beginning, but plenty of games ended up supporting it in the end, especially given that the PS1 had a ludicrously long life cycle with plenty of time to churn out analog-compatible games.

>>382110582
I'm aware of that whole scheme, but that didn't really improve the experience of the end user. It may have weeded out shitty third party developers, but it also decimated third party support in general. I would have taken a few shitty games in exchange for having the support of hundreds of extra developers.
>>
>>382107901
N64 games aged better
>>
>>382109207
The segmented d-pad design is uncomfortable
>>
>>382110869
>unironically no games
>low FPS
>aged better

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH
>>
PS2. Better library and the games are still playable today, unlike PS1 games.
>>
>>382110869
The main thing that bothers me about N64 games is the framerate. At the time, I never really thought about it, but going back and playing Perfect Dark or Zelda nowadays can feel pretty jarring. In terms of the quality of 3D graphics, N64 blows PS1 out of the water. However, PS1 also had a fuckton of 2D games which, by default, will always look great.
>>
>>382110973
>PS1 games had good framerate
uhh
>>
>>382107901
Well, no, because even if you loved it, the PS2 improved on it in every conceivable way. Including almost 100% backwards compatibility.
>>
>>382110973
>PS1 calling out other consoles for low FPS
Is this where the pot calls the kettle black?
>>
>>382110348
>but you cannot seriously tell me that the N64 controller wasn't abysmally retarded in comparison to the dualshock
I don't see what's wrong with it, at least it had a joystick in the age of 3D. Not having joysticks meant games were tied to buttons which is just a terrible idea. Even if Nintendo did do some stupid decisions I still think N64 was superior to Playstation. Sony's heyday was PS2 and PSP, after that they became retarded. Furthermore all of N64 games was designed with the controller in mind, and Nintendo did much more for the industry than Sony ever did with games like SM64 and OoT.
>>
>>382107901
i think it is, but i had one when i was a kid so not objective. i feel like out of any console it had had the most good games. the good final fantasies, including tactics, all the good survival horror games, tomb raider

and of course croc legend of the gobos
>>
File: PS1.jpg (2MB, 2688x1956px) Image search: [Google]
PS1.jpg
2MB, 2688x1956px
planning on getting into PS1, this is my shopping list so far am I missing anything good?
>>
File: 1200px-GameCube-Console-Set.png (551KB, 1200x673px) Image search: [Google]
1200px-GameCube-Console-Set.png
551KB, 1200x673px
>Tiny and portable console
>4 controllers ports for multiplayer
>silent for disc based system
>super comfortable controller
>available in different colors
>almost indestructible
>powerful
>>
>>382107901
The hardware itself is a piece of hot garbage and always was. What made it good were it's games.
>>
>>382111420
>powerful
>couldn't handle burnout 3
>>
>>382109207
>And in terms of games it might even be the best console ever made.
that would be the SNES.
>>
>doesn't look completely fucking retarded
I'll give you that, but at the same time, it looks plain as fuck. Both the Saturn and N64 looked cooler during that gen
>best controller of the era with 4 shoulder buttons and rumble
The model 2 Saturn controller is objectively the greatest controller for 2D games of all time. The standard PS1 controller before Dual Analog was pure trash. It only got good once it got the ual analog, but few games even used the analog sticks and rumble. The Playstation controller only really began to shine during the PS2 era with the Dualshock 2.
>vast library of games spanning every genre
I'll give you that. The library was kinda more skewed towards JRPGs, but it still had variety. Lots of shovelware, though
>Ahead of it's time with built-in system link
Legit forgot the PS1 had this feature until you mentioned it. Can't think of ever actually seeing it in action (I think the only notable exclusives that used it are Armored Core and Wipeout). Whereas the Saturn had online multiplayer (Saturn Bomberman and Virtual-On used it).
>capable of playing audio and video CDs
Saturn could too.
>system menu with memory card manager
The Saturn took this further by having onboard memory, that could be further expanded with an expansion cartridge
>well-built and reliable
I'll give you that. Also, apparently, early PS1s are have excellent sound quality to the point where audiophiles will seek them out to use as dedicated CD players
>thin, small, light, portable
Definitely the most portable of the 5th gen consoles
>was incredibly developer friendly from both an economic and design point of view
This is the reason it won the gen. It had the cheapest, weakest hardware specs-wise. But it was easy to develop for, which attracted third-party devs. The Saturn was a nightmare to develop for, and the N64 was held back by the cartridge format and Nintendo's nigh-draconian practices over their licensees.
>>
>>382110980
>>382111026
The PS2 isn't really a better console. Honestly, I'd say it is objectively worse putting graphics and media capabilities aside. Taken on their own merits and not accounting for backwards compatability, I subjectively think PS1 had better games, but objectively the PS2 harder was total shit. It was underpowered as fuck even for its time, the controller was almost identical but lower quality, disc tray is always worse than a top loader, myriad laser and build quality issues, Ethernet was only achievable by the installation of a ghastly black brick that stuck out from the back of the console, and in general, it kind of just looked gaudy. Big black rectangle with giant abbreviated "PS2" slapped on the side in blue gradient.

>>382111497
What are you smoking? GameCube had problems but graphics weren't one of them. RE4 was literally the best looking game of its gen. The fuck?
>>
>>382111497
Cost a lot less than the PS2 and was generally speaking more powerful than it. Games like Burnout 3 (with its unusually heavy reliance on SIMD thanks to its physics system) are the exception.
>>
What iv'e really come to appreciate overtime is how solid the console feels.

I work in a used game store, so I handle them alot (since they are pretty much useless these days and people need their crack money) and they just feel so solid. The buttons are very satisfying, the lit and everything just feels so mechanical. I think the Gamecube is still my favorite console "build" overall but the PS1 is a close second.

Not to start a modern hate trend but I absolute hate how the PS4Pro looks. Don't get me wrong, its amazing, and Wipeout Omega Collection in Native 4k /w HDR is basically the pinnacle of aesthetic pleasure, but it just looks so repugnant. It looks like a fucking big mac. You couldn't just keep the original fat PS4 design and change the internals? Maybe change the color of the light strip or add a light strip or emblazn "PRO" on the front? I
>>
>>382109431
There's literally not a single 3D game on PS1 without models wobbling. L.I.T.E.R.A.L.L.Y. It's impossible. Physically. Like, at all. Show at least one game without wobbling, you can't.
>>
>>382109739
Developers were butthurt because Nintendo stuck with cartridges instead of falling for the CD meme. They wanted to fill games with shitty, faggy FMVs instead of actual gameplay.

Bu-u-u-ut CDs are better! Sure, they are better at
>Long ass loading times. PSX games were 75% waiting to play, 25% gameplay. The worst were fighting games, were the loading took longer than the matches.
>Being fragile crap. If you played a PSX game a lot you would have to go through multiple CDs, because they scratched like there's no tomorrow. Not to mention the optic reader, one of the worst pieces of crap ever created. Meanwhile, N64 consoles and cartridges were built like tanks, and only failed if you deliberately damaged them.
>CDs are a huge waste of space anyway. RE2 fit on a single N64 cartridge, but on the PSX it NEEDED 2 CDs for some bullshit reason. No excuse.
>>
File: bill.png (98KB, 289x310px) Image search: [Google]
bill.png
98KB, 289x310px
>Not PS2 due to the fact it plays the entire PS1 library
>>
>>382111820
literally every 2D game :^)
>>
>>382111820
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5oBeO-cui_c

Not him but this is a demonstration of how shit games looked on PS1. Emulators nowadays can fix that thankfully.
>>
>>382111726
>they just feel so solid. The buttons are very satisfying, the lit and everything just feels so mechanical.
Yeah, I've always felt the same way. I like the way you put it. It does feel very mechanical and solid. I like the way the buttons are laid out, the feel of pressing them, everything. When I pick up a PS4 with two hands, I can literally hear the plastic creaking.

>I absolute hate how the PS4Pro looks.
I agree with this also. It looks absolutely fucking retarded. Literally a black plastic triple-decker sandwhich. I feel like they were trying to channel a PS2 look, or go for some kind of powerful black control deck vibe, and it just ends up looking gaudy and autistic. Also, the buttons are 100% shit, holy fuck. You can literally take your thumb nail and pull the little strip of plastic they call the power button away from the console. Absolute dirt.
>>
>>382111690
PS2 slim fixed all problems you have with the system
>>
File: images.jpg (5KB, 300x168px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
5KB, 300x168px
>>382107901
>>best controller of the era with 4 shoulder buttons and rumble, the design of which has been emulated by almost every controller since

Holy shit. Imagine being this clueless.

Every single joypad from every major console for the past 25 years - EVERY SINGLE ONE - has taken their design directly from Nintendo's SNES /SFC pad, and that includes all of Sony' pads. Fuck, Sony also hastily stole the analogue stick from Nintendo's N64 pad once they realised it was the future of game control.

You everything about the modern "Joypad" to Nintendo.

But anyway, rant over, the PSX is one of the greatest consoles of all time.
>>
>>382111016
>>382111030
There are a lot of 60 FPS Playstation games and a lot of them that at least have a stable 30 FPS.
>>
>>382107901
for me it had to be the ps2 because it created the most kind of games that I like
>>
>>382111847
All 10 or so of them that can't hold a candle to Saturn's 2D games because 2D on PS1 was trash?
>>
>>382111690
>It was underpowered as fuck even for its time
The PS2 was fairly powerful, the main problem was the memory bottlenecks and weird architectural decisions that made it hard to fully flex that power.
>>
File: 1498501607870.jpg (245KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
1498501607870.jpg
245KB, 1024x768px
>>382112080
>imagine being so clueless than you actually believe the SNES pad didn't cues from earlier gamepads itself, and that a design can't be emulated by others if the design emulated something that came before it
>>
>>382112152
>There are a lot of 60 FPS Playstation games
Yeah, all the great ones like Tobal where it sucks and the game looks like a 32X game.
>>
The most important aspect of any console is the games available. It is the reason why somethin like the Wii is quite bad as a console because no matter what your console is like it doesn't matter if you can only appeal to a very limited segment of the market.
>>
>>382112161
>All 10 or so of them
You mean a few hundred?

>that can't hold a candle to Saturn's 2D games because 2D on PS1 was trash?
Ah yes, the Saturn, a console which single-handedly destroyed an entire company and has all of 5 good games, each which costs $300.
>>
>>382112080
To be completely honest, Sony brought in dual-analog sticks and it improved upon the N64. Nintendo later copied this.

Alien Resurrection on PS1 was the first FPS game to use the dual analog control scheme where the right stick is used to aim.
>>
>>382111690
PS2 wasn't underpowered but it had VERY lopsided strengths and weaknesses.

At shit like alpha blending, particle effects and physics processing it could blow away even the Xbox.

But at shit like texturing, even the Dreamcast was superior.
>>
>>382112398
The Saturn didn't destroy anything. It was a great piece of hardware. Sega's incompetence did.
>>
File: 435.webm (3MB, 700x526px) Image search: [Google]
435.webm
3MB, 700x526px
>>382112161
PS1 2D was pretty good,the difference on most multiplat Saturn/PS1 titles was minimal.

>>382112278
Still two games more than the N64 :)
>>
>>382112476
>Alien Resurrection on PS1 was the first FPS game to use the dual analog control scheme where the right stick is used to aim.
That's actually incorrect. Both Goldeneye and Perfect Dark had a control scheme where you could use the d-pad for movement and stick for aiming, or alternatively you could even hook up two separate controllers and use both at the same time. A little bizarre, but technically the N64 did do it first.
>>
I like to keep it simple. I don't get into specs or technical jargon with consoles, because for me a console is only ever as good as its game library.

That said, the PS1 was pretty fucking based. It had some amazing games, and was the kick off point for many huge franchises.

I'd really like if Sony joined the latest craze and released a PS1 mini of some kind, like Sega and Nintendo have done. Release a small scale model of the PlayStation with say 15 or 20 in built games.

I know you can always emulate, but it's nice to play on intended hardware too.
>>
File: snes-controller.jpg (894KB, 3872x2176px) Image search: [Google]
snes-controller.jpg
894KB, 3872x2176px
>>382112263
Imagine being so cluess that you don't realise that the ENTIRE design layout of the "joypad" belongs to Nintendo.

Imagine being so young that you don't realise somebody had to pioneer that design - a design so fundamental to gaming that people forgot where it came from and just accept it without thinking.

>Directional controls on the left
>Action buttons on the right
>action buttons laid out in a diamond formation, usually with an ABXY lettering or Red/Yellow/Green/Blue colouring
>shoulder buttons
>one or two indirect funtion buttons

That's Nintendo's design. The entire concept of it belongs to them - a refinement of their earlier NES pad and GameNWatch handhelds.

Bonus points for adding rumble functionality and analogue control which make a standard for everyone down the line.

Nintendo were the ones who decided HOW we will interact with games, and everyone has been riding their coattails since. Chew on that
>>
>>382112601
Should have phrased it better. Alien Resurrection was the first game to use 2 analog sticks the way we know now today.
>>
>>382112278
>60 FPS
>Playstation:109 games
>Saturn:29 games
>N64:7 games
>>
>>382112534
>The Saturn didn't destroy anything. It was a great piece of hardware
You know that it takes Saturn's GPU (VDP1) something like 8 cycles to alpha blend a single pixel? It takes PS1's GPU 1 cycle.

Saturn was only able to produce good 2D graphics due to Sega's MOAR CORES approach which resulted in them putting in a dedicated 2D processing chip and a bit more VRAM. In terms of actual engineering, the console was horrible.
>>
>>382112798
>Saturn sucks at alpha
stop the presses m8
>>
>>382107901
lol ps ahead of its time. the only pioneer in the gaming industry was sega. having online capabilities before everyone. using cds before everyone.
>>
>>382107901
SNES or PS2 are the best consoles ever made. Tons of good games for both.
>>
>>382112534
>The Saturn didn't destroy anything. It was a great piece of hardware. Sega's incompetence did.
No, the Saturn was an utter piece of shit, and it was Sega' incompetence that led to its creation and poor marketing. It did 2D in a time when people wanted 3D, and it was the result of Sega's frantic attempt to play catch-up when the realized that the industry had shifted to 3D games and their current design would be left in the dust, so they put 8 fucking processors in it and hoped to God that developers would have the patience to work with it. On top of that, it had barely any games that supported its ill-conceived analog controller, had barely any games in general, and had ridiculously expensive accessories. It was a piece of shit dude.
>>
>>382112793
All 109 of those are garbage. More than half are virtua fighter clones.
>>
>>382112949
More good games on that list than the entire N64 library
>>
>>382110901
This. Truly horror for fighting games.
>>
File: pcengine-cdrom2_3.jpg (207KB, 1859x1046px) Image search: [Google]
pcengine-cdrom2_3.jpg
207KB, 1859x1046px
>>382112865
>using cds before everyone

Wrong
>>
File: 1492093646200.jpg (79KB, 603x590px) Image search: [Google]
1492093646200.jpg
79KB, 603x590px
>>382112735
Remove your head from your ass buddy. I'm not "young", in fact I'm probably older than you and clearly more educated on the subject judging by how hard you're sucking Nintendo's cock. I'm not enough of an edge lord to pretend the dualshock didn't set the modern standard for controllers just because it took cues from what came before. Nothing, and I mean NOTHING is 100% original. You don't think the fucking NES controller took cues from the Atari 2600 controller, or arcade inputs? Something as simple as the idea of a red button came from somewhere, and it wasn't Nintendo who did it first. Nintendo piggybacked on the groundwork laid before them, and Sony continued that trend. The FACT is that modern controllers wouldn't look like they do without the dualshock, and whether or not Nintendo had a hand in shaping that trend does not mean it didn't happen.
>>
>>382112793
These are the 3D 60 fps games. I wonder how many 2D 60 fps games are out there.
>>
>>382112365
Except the Wii had an excellent library outside of obvious shovelware.
>>382112398
The Saturn failed more so because Sega fucked up, not because the Saturn was actually bad
>only 5 good games
Opinion discarded.
>>382112541
Most arcade fighter ports (Capcom stuff like X-Men vs Street Fighter and Darkstalkers) on Saturn are considered arcade perfect or nearly arcade perfect, whereas the same games on PS1 are considered trash. Also, stuff like Ogre Battle/Tactics Ogre and Lunar was better on Saturn (unfortunately Japan exclusive, though). Also, the Saturn had excellent exclusives like Guardian Heroes and Princess Crown that really showed off the 2D
>>
>>382113184
And didn't the 3DO come out before the PlayStation?
>>
>>382113316
whar are the good Wii games?
>>
>>382113341
And? The 3DO came out in 1993,the PC Engine CD came out in 1988.
>>
File: 1495683625964.jpg (16KB, 239x239px) Image search: [Google]
1495683625964.jpg
16KB, 239x239px
>>382113316
>not because the Saturn was actually bad
You don't get to discard anyone's opinion when this is what you think. It was a steaming pile of shit. It was thrown together at the last minute. It was so fucking terrible to develop for that Sega had to stop production of Sonic X-Treme, in part, because multiple employees were having mental and emotional issues and becoming sick. They didn't even make an analog controller until late in the system's life and it was supported by almost no games. It was an outdated turd with an incredibly limited library, weak 3D graphics and poor marketing.
>>
>>382113471
Answer the fucking question, dumbass
>>
>>382113506
reminder that it still sold better than the N64 in Japan and was one of their most successful consoles over there
>>
File: ..jpg (31KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
..jpg
31KB, 480x360px
>>382107901

I agree, though I prefer the look of PS One to PS. It was during PS/PS 2 eras when game developers were most creative and actually had to put effort into making a good game for it to sell.
>>
File: 1496094844622.jpg (32KB, 480x251px) Image search: [Google]
1496094844622.jpg
32KB, 480x251px
>>382113194
>judging by how hard you're sucking Nintendo's cock.
I said in my post that the PSX is one of the greatest consoles ever made. Yeah im sure sucking Nintendo's dick alright.

>You don't think the fucking NES controller took cues from the Atari 2600 controller?
No
>or arcade inputs?
Like Donkey Kong?
>Something as simple as the idea of a red button came from somewhere, and it wasn't Nintendo who did it first.
I never said Nintendo invented the fire button. I said the DESIGN is theira.

>The FACT is that modern controllers wouldn't look like they do without the dualshock, and whether or not Nintendo had a hand in shaping that trend does not mean it didn't happen.

Everything about the dual shock was stolen from Nintendo, yes or no?

>b-but the dual shock has TWO sticks! TWO instead of ONE!
>>
File: baroque-saturn-1.png (39KB, 352x224px) Image search: [Google]
baroque-saturn-1.png
39KB, 352x224px
>>382108425
There are some decent JRPGs if you bother too look. Like Baroque on the PS1. It's a FPS dungeon crawler with a scary and weird art style. My cup of tea. But it's untranslated.
>>
>>382110285
>LOL NO PATCHES FUCK YOU
Its funny because you say it like its a bad thing, developers are lazy as fuck because of how easy they can just release a shit broken game and patch it on release date.

What nintendo is doing is saying, "fuck you lazy asshole, if you release a game on a nintendo system you are supposed to release a working game, not a broken one like sony allows you fuckers to do"
>>
File: te.webm (853KB, 798x600px) Image search: [Google]
te.webm
853KB, 798x600px
>>382113316
The PS1 had some great 2D games too

>>382113509
Yes it came out before the PS1,i don't what it has to do with Sega or Nec though.
>>
>>382113506
Sega was such a cluster fuck company back then, and not much has changed since
>>
File: 1498312645683.jpg (46KB, 308x445px) Image search: [Google]
1498312645683.jpg
46KB, 308x445px
>>382113194
>The FACT is that modern controllers wouldn't look like they do without the dualshock
But it's Sony that haven't done anything in decades, they're the least innovative company in the industry. They currently have the worst controller of the big 3.
>>
>>382113582
>reminder that it still sold better than the N64 in Japan and was one of their most successful consoles over there
And this is relevant... why? It came out almost 2 full years before the N64 and sold 9 fucking million units. 9 million dude...
>>
File: 1497481576637.jpg (285KB, 762x375px) Image search: [Google]
1497481576637.jpg
285KB, 762x375px
>>382111840
Go to sleep Dobson
>>
File: 1498539024733.jpg (47KB, 220x330px) Image search: [Google]
1498539024733.jpg
47KB, 220x330px
And yet the only one people remember games from is the N64.
>>
File: 1496461912218.gif (995KB, 247x268px) Image search: [Google]
1496461912218.gif
995KB, 247x268px
>>382113848
No argument here. I absolutely fucking hate modern Sony. Everything they've done after the PS1 was dog shit IMO. But, I'm giving credit where credit is due. The PS1 was pretty instrumental in shaping modern consoles, for better or worse.
>>
>>382113678
And you say that like patches are always evil by default.

It doesn't have to be one of the other, and just so we're clear, being so autismo with patches is a fucking retarded practice. It doesn't benefit anybody.
>>
>>382113957
N64 is forgotten in Europe and Japan and only remembered in the land where it sold fairly well which is the US.
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 3024x3024px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 3024x3024px
>>382108150
N64 owner here anon, come on son, get real, PS was better for the library. I wouldn't WANT to be without my N64 experinces, but if you MADE me choose? N64 would have to go.
>>
>>382113506
The funny thing is that the company which made the N64's GPU actually offered it first to Sega, who turned it down because an American company made the chip. So the next place they went was Nintendo who accepted it.

Imagine how good that chip could have been in a console without Yamauchi's gimping. The Saturn could have murdered the PS1.
>>
>>382113918
>Columbus discovered the earth was round
>>
>>382114201
The problem of the Saturn was the CPU not the GPU,its not like it lacked good games at the start but the higher price and the lack of theird party suppport in the west killed it after the first year.
>>
it was probably the most interesting console I ever owned with so many different games that varied in both creativity and graphical capabilities. I had so many demo disks loaded with so much shit I don't think I have had that kind of experience since.
>>
>>382114201
Even if, that would have required Sega to not have been run by literal retards who were insistent on fucking the company into the dirt.
>>
>>382114323
>The problem of the Saturn was the CPU not the GPU
They were as bad each other m8, you really think hardware quads were any good?
>>
>>382113431
Tatsunoko vs Capcom
Xenoblade
Fragile Dreams
Metroid Prime Trilogy
Fire Emblem 10
Battalion Wars 2
Last Story
Pandora's Tower
Opoona
Elebits
MadWorld
No More Heroes 1 & 2
Donkey Kong Country Returns
Fatal Frame 4
Sin & Punishment 2
Klonoa remake
Sonic Colors
Wario Land: Shake It
Red Steel 2
Kirby: Return to Dream Land
Rodea the Sky Soldier
There's more, but I got tired of listing.

>>382113506
You do realize that the Saturn was a success in Japan, right? It only failed in the west due to Sega's incompetence. Mostly related to localizing games. 70% of the Saturn library is Japan exclusive because Sega didn't think it should localize weeb games. All the while the PS1 was experiencing a JRPG renaissance spearheaded by Final Fantasy 7. The Sonic X-Treme fiasco was also an example of Sega of Japan and Sega of America failing to work together to actually make the game a reality.

You have no idea what you're talking about, and I wouldn't be surprised if you were born after the 5th gen anyway.
>>
>>382107901
Nah. Because if the PS1 was that good, then the PS2 would be better, for being able to play all PS1 games natively, and arguably the launch PS3 would be even better, since it plays most of the PS1 games and all of the PS2 games natively.
>>
File: 1475529754541.jpg (199KB, 537x391px) Image search: [Google]
1475529754541.jpg
199KB, 537x391px
>>382114290
The bible already gave us that information before that italian homo
>Isaiah 40:22
>Job 26:10
>>
>>382111026
>Including almost 100% backwards compatibilit
some ps1 games were not able to play in the ps2?
>>
>>382114643
no. later PS2 models had worse compatibility than the early ones.
Even some PS1s had compatibility issues due to the different RAM chips in use.
>>
>>382114683
Not doubting you, but can you cite an example of a game that didn't work with any PS2 or PS3?
>>
>>382114643
I know my copy of Gran Turismo 2 didn't work when I hot a slim PS2, and I was pissed.
>>
Those were truly better times
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSlGv9aFk4o&t=1s
>>
>>382114323
>The problem of the Saturn was the CPU not the GPU
Honestly the Saturn's GPUs are worse than it CPUs. VDP1 is a joke of a GPU. It's alright at shitting out quads (which are inferior to tris at anything but making round spheres) but it's utterly horrible at anything to do with blending. VDP2 is a great chip for 2D but almost completely useless for 3D. Way too specialised.

The Hitachi SH-2 CPUs in the Saturn aren't really worse even individually than the PS1's MIPS 3000A.
>>
Why is grey plastic not used for hardware any more? I think it looks nice.
>>
>>382114823
Not him, but Poy Poy 2.
>>
File: 1498502167828.png (1MB, 930x903px) Image search: [Google]
1498502167828.png
1MB, 930x903px
>>382114438
>You have no idea what you're talking about, and I wouldn't be surprised if you were born after the 5th gen anyway.
Funniest shit I've ever read in my life. YOU have no idea what you're talking about, and I can almost guarantee I am older than you. You are actually making the bizarrely retarded argument that the Saturn's existence is somehow justified because "it was a success in Japan". Whoopdie fucking doo. I don't care if it was a success in Japan, it wasn't a success anywhere else. It was one of the worst consoles to develop for ever made, with a blatantly retarded 8 processor design that was skewed in favor of outdated 2D tasks. The console didn't sell a measly 9 million units compared to Nintendo's 33m and Sony's 102m because the American and Japanese divisions couldn't get along. That was only one part of it. If you knew anything about the shit you're talking, you'd know that this process began long before, with Sega releasing dozens of gay peripherals like 32X and destroying consumer confidence. The system was a pain to develop for, it had no Sonic game, it had terrible marketing worldwide, it had next to no analog-support and it was fucking terrible at 3D graphics which is what the industry wanted at the time. That is why it failed. Educate yourself.
>>
>>382114823

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_PlayStation_games_incompatible_with_PlayStation_2
The SCPH-75001 PS2 model replaced the processor responsible for PS1 support and I/O with a different, emulated one (similar to how the original PS3 does it) leading to compatibility issues with even PS2 games.
>>
>>382107901
It was an incredible console, but I agree with >>382107984

Nowadays I find it impossible to play PS1 games, early 3D is just so fucking ugly. And there are games with a weird mix of 2D and 3D that aren't much better, like Klonoa (and Tomba, I believe?)

>>382113184
CD-ROM support by 1988 was amazing. Is >>382113694 a PC-Engine game? Looks pretty good.
>>
>>382114862
>VDP2 is a great chip for 2D but almost completely useless for 3D. Way too specialised.
I fucking love how games that can actually use the VDP2 look though. It's like Mode 7 taken to the extreme.
>>
>>382115098
>Legend of Dragoon.
That explains why I could never get my copy to work. A friend recommended it back when I had the fat PS2, and it didn't work on it OR the launch PS3 that I own.
>>
File: 1437004086178.jpg (368KB, 840x700px) Image search: [Google]
1437004086178.jpg
368KB, 840x700px
>>382113506
>Sega had to stop production of Sonic X-Treme, in part, because multiple employees were having mental and emotional issues and becoming sick

What the fuck. I call bullshit on that.
>>
File: fs.webm (3MB, 800x614px) Image search: [Google]
fs.webm
3MB, 800x614px
>>382115036
The real reason was that the Saturn launched at a higher price than the PS1 and lacked third party support in the west,out of 700 games released only 200-250 were released in the US,when the PS1 had 100 games out the Saturn only had 15 in the shelves.

>>382115167
That's a PS1 game,this is a PC Engine game.
>>
>>382115167
>Is >>382113694 a PC-Engine game? Looks pretty good.
It's Harmful Park: High Brow Gag and Pure Shooting.

Not even joking.
>>
>>382115416
http://www.lostlevels.org/200403/200403-xtreme.shtml

“I took on far more than was healthy... and after 2 years I became extremely ill... a nurse told me he thought I had 6 months to live, actually. I lost 25 pounds, was sick all the time, had cramps... and still went in to work... all due to too much stress,” says Senn.

That was just one guy.
>>
>>382116150
I dunno whether that's Sega, or just Japanese Culture.

Not defending Sega, but I've heard similar shit regarding Team Silent at the time. Sometimes, your passion becomes an obession, and it's really detrimental to one's health. Of course, it's entirely possible that working for Sega in Japan was just putting you into a meat grinder.
>>
>>382116305
Pretty sure this was actually an American guy. Sega was feverishly trying to get the game to market for fear they were losing ground, and rightly so, and had no mascot game to sell systems.
>>
>>382112080
>believing controller ergonomics and features started with Nintendo
>too young to realize that button layouts were copied from arcade cabinets
>too young to realize that analog sticks were common throughout the 80s
nigga please
>>
>>382115036
Get it through your skull. The Saturn did not fail due to the hardware. Yes, it had shit 3D capabilities due to using quadrilateral polygons instead of triangles, and due to it's complex hardware configuration making it hard to develop for. But the few 3D games it did get were great. Burning Rangers, Nights, Virtual-On, Virtua Fighter, etc. And it had 2D games in spades that completely outclass the PS1. The PS1's hardware for 3D was not great by any measure, it was simply just easier to develop for which attracted third-parties. I'd argue that the Saturn's lack of 3D games actually helps it's legacy because 3D 5th gen games have mostly aged like milk. The most fondly remembered 3D games during the era are not remembered for their aesthetic. The 2D games are remembered for being beautiful though. Also, Sega's past mistakes with shit like the 32X ruining the consumer confidence is an example of incompetence, is it not? The reason the 32X even existed in the first place is due to incompetence. Instead of developing the Saturn and making sure it was the proper powerhouse it should have been, Sega allocated resources away from the Saturn to make the unnecessary, uncalled for, pile of garbage called the 32X. It's not the Saturn's fault that Sega decided to ruin their reputation with the 32X.
>>
>>382116526
That's an entirely fair assessment to make. Again, I wasn't trying to defend Sega. I just remembered a bunch of Team Silent literally working around the clock and sleeping under desks when designing the game, and they did that of their own free will.

Not having all the info, I was just trying to point out that it isn't always a meat grinder situation. Sometimes, these people do it to themselves.
>>
File: 686bf45f96ce06af9dd5324453868273.jpg (105KB, 2048x1024px) Image search: [Google]
686bf45f96ce06af9dd5324453868273.jpg
105KB, 2048x1024px
>>382111420
>me the cloth effects in Luigi's Mansion
>>
>>382114089
>I wouldn't WANT to be without my N64 experinces, but if you MADE me choose? N64 would have to go.

This is exactly my opinion as well. People like to pit N64 and PS1 against one another with the whole "quality vs quantity", but let's be honest here - PS1 had both. It simply came down to what you preferred to play.
>>
>>382111420
Those controllers are super destructible, even if the console isn't. This is a real problem.
>>
File: 1495982485699.gif (3MB, 167x190px) Image search: [Google]
1495982485699.gif
3MB, 167x190px
>>382116587
You are acting like a company's incompetence and the products they design aren't inherently linked. They are. And furthermore, you are also pretending that the Saturn wasn't a total piece of shit when in reality, it was. You don't seem to understand that the console was created with 2D in mind, during a time when the landscape of the industry was sharply shifting in favor of 3D. If you don't think that the incredibly difficult nature of Saturn development was at least partially responsible for its demise, you are beyond retarded. In fact, you just said it yourself: it was easier to develop for, and thus attracted third parties. Third parties mean more games. More games mean more money, more popularity, more lasting power. The Saturn did not have that.

On top of the terrible design, it had poor marketing in EVERY region outside of Japan, where they shilled the Segata Sanshiro shit, and it had incredibly expensive accessories. You can keep thinking that the Saturn was some kind of god-send gaming console that just got a bad rap due to the American launch, and you would be wrong. It was poorly conceived hunk of trash that was only good for outdated 2D games, and it never had any chance of competing with the two other. That is the fact.

Case closed.
>>
>>382117074
Don't forget the fact that they also shat out the 32X like 6 months before the Saturn launched, and the 32X was expensive as hell.

They really didn't do themselves any favors by launching that.
>>
>>382115036
The Saturn being difficult to code for wasn't the reason it failed. That didn't stop the PS2 from being a huge success. The problem was internal fighting in Sega and each of their branches just being retarded in general.

Regardless of its 3D deficiencies it still turned out some of the best looking 3D games of that generation. Virtua Fighter 2 is 60 fps and a higher resolution than both PS1 and N64 could do. Dead or Alive was also incredible looking and that was by a third party dev. If it was marketed better more developers would have taken the time to learn the hardware.
>>
>>382117216
Yep. Prior to Saturn/Dreamcast, Sega had a terrible reputation for releasing a bunch of autistic expansions and peripherals. They spread themselves too thin and consumers wouldn't have any of it.
>>
>>382117342
>Regardless of its 3D deficiencies it still turned out some of the best looking 3D games of that generation
Yeah... no. That is not even close to being true. 60 fps is cool and all, but from a purely graphical standpoint, Virtua Fighter 2 does not even hold a candle to some of the later PS1 and N64 games. Majora's Mask and Alien Resurrection absolutely fuck anything on the Saturn into the dirt. Both VF and DoA are also fighters, which are poor demonstration of true graphical prowess because they lack large, interactive environments. If you tried running Super Mario 64 on a Saturn it would fucking explode, and that was a launch title.
>>
>>382117074
The N64 had better 3D than the PS1, and yet it was seen as a failure comparatively. But yet it's still seen as a huge success compared to the Saturn, despite having a significantly smaller library, virtually no JRPGs besides Paper Mario and Ogre Battle 64, expensive cartridges that can't hold as much data, virtually no 2D games (only other one I can think of is Mischief Makers), shit sound quality, very little third-party support compared to the PS1, etc.
Explain that.
>>
>>382117897
I couldn't name 5 games for the Sega Saturn. I'm not even joking. Obviously, the same can't be said for the N64 and the PS1. And all of those released when I was of an age where they were directly marketing to me. I was 10 years old when the N64 dropped, which was gaming's bread and butter back in the day.
>>
>>382117672
I never said Saturn was better than N64 or PS1, just that with talented developers it was able to turn out some impressive games that still hold up. Regardless of whether VF2 was surpassed later on in the generation it still looks solid even today with its high res graphics for the time and smooth frame rate.

The Saturn beta of Shenmue is also impressive for the time with actual facial animations on the characters https://youtu.be/foZUcPQAMvg
>>
>>382118206
That's because you are a pleb
>>
>>382117897
>Explain that.
There's nothing to explain. The N64 didn't do as well as the PS1, and yet the Saturn sold almost 4x less than the N64. That's fucking abysmal. The N64 introduced analog, it had some of the most recognized, popular games ever made, and titles like Super Mario 64 and Ocarina of Time literally became the new standard for EVERY genre of 3D game which came after. It doesn't matter if it had no JRPGs, memory paks, cartridges and shit sound quality, it was better marketed, it had better games, it followed the trends of the industry and it was a relatively big success as a result. The Saturn, by comparison, was outdated, had no good games, did not follow the trends of the industry and was poorly marketed. This isn't rocket science my dude.
>>
>>382118440
Ok. Well, then, most of the gaming world is a pleb, and plebs still spend their money. If plebs couldn't name 5 games for a console, that doesn't bode well for the console.
>>
>>382108123
I agree. Also Symphony of the Night, the Megaman X games, hell there are a lot.
>>
>>382118206
>I couldn't name five games for the Sega Saturn
So, again, lack of marketing is an example of Sega's incompetence, not the Saturn being inherently bad. I don't blame you for not knowing any Saturn games at the time, because 1. it wasn't marketed strongly and 2. they didn't localize almost 3/4 of the library. I would blame you now though, because the internet exists and you can easily research this shit.

Shining Force 3
Panzer Dragoon
Daytona USA
Guardian Heroes
Fighting Vipers
All of these games were localized (two of them are launch games), so it's not like I'm resorting to listing obscure weeb Japan-only shit.

>>382118449
>no good games
Please stop with this meme. Yes, the Saturn failed in the marketplace. Yes, the 3D was too complex to attract devs. Yes, Sega shot themselves in the foot repeatedly. But had a solid fucking library of games. Just because you haven't done the due diligence to actually discover them doesn't mean they don't exist at all.
>>
>>382111165
You're missing everything good and went for weebshit instead.
>>
>>382118449
>Saturn had no good games

VF2
Sega Rally
Daytona USA
Nights into Dreams
Panzer Dragoon series
Fighter's Megamix
Guardian Heroes
Shining Force 3
Radiant Silvergun
Street Fighter Alpha 2 and 3
X-Men vs Street Fighter
Dragon Force
Darkstalkers
Silhouette Mirage

It has a great library
>>
>>382119153
>VF2
Boredom: The Fighter
>Sega Rally
Whole game can be beaten in less than 10 minutes
>Daytona USA
Has graphics that would embarrass the 3DO
>>
>>382119906
>boredom the fighter
pleb detected
>can be beaten in 10 minutes
its an arcade game. The length is irrelevant the game has flawless controls and still plays great and has high replayability to it
>has graphics that would embarrass the 3DO
and yet has great controls and track layout making it still fun to play regardless of graphics
>>
Why is it whenever there's a Sony/PlayStation thread, Nintenkiddies always come in and talk shit? Like no one asked for your opinions, fuckers.
>>
>>382108150
N64 had better games but was a shit console
>>
>>382120274
OP explicitly did though
>>
>>382120379
Seeing as it was more powerful than PS1, had fast load times, and a superior controller I don't see why you think that.
>>
>>382120379
Wrong
>>
>>382120582
>>382120591
Not him, but the N64 had better hardware than the PS1. It was primarily just worse at sound, and having huge games. And the N64 has probably a bigger proportion of it's library being considered noteworthy compared to the PS1 (mainly due to the PS1 having immense amounts of shovelware), but it is empirical fact that the N64 had less good games (and less games total) than the PS1
>>
>>382121502
>mainly due to nostalgia

Fixed
>>
>>382120582
Shitty analog stick and low capacity cartridges
>>
>>382121502
Maybe less good games, but more great games
>>
File: Bubsy_3D.png (147KB, 238x238px) Image search: [Google]
Bubsy_3D.png
147KB, 238x238px
>>382121985
So you're just gonna pretend the PS1 doesn't have the biggest proportion of shovelware in it's library of all time? Only rivalled by the PS2 and the Wii.
>>
>>382122612
The N64 was full of shovelware too,it just had a smaller library and most of the "good" games are Nintendo and Rare shit.
>>
>>382107984
The platform has a lot of 2d games that give Snes and Genesis a run for its money.
And a lot of 3d games that do have nice looking stylized low poly graphics.
>>
>>382122612
PS2 was worse and the Wii is the undisputed king.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (98KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
98KB, 1280x720px
>>382122612
Shovelvare is always automatically on the most successful console.

Why do you think WII had so much shovelware.

And why do you think PS4 is soon becoming shovelware central.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uM523jjrvf4

Not like other consoles didn't have turds of there own.
>>
>>382122612
>Gold X Award
kek
>>
File: 1447760678329.jpg (3MB, 4608x3456px) Image search: [Google]
1447760678329.jpg
3MB, 4608x3456px
>>382123512
>>
I must be the only person in the world not bothered a single bit by the PS1's wobbly uneven lines. I haven't seen a game that it ruins. In some games (very minor) I prefer the messed up geometry as it makes things like wooden beams or stone walls look more authentic.

At the same time I jizz myself to low poly hard edge games like MML with its perfect artstyle. Capcom in the PS1 days truly knew how to make games on the system, they were the masters.

I play all my PS1 games on a PS2 slim nowadays, I don't know if that makes the wobbly lines less noticeable or what but I don't think I've ever been bothered by them like you autists seem to obsess over it.
>>
>>382123949
Pretty sure the PS2 implements smoothing. Can't remember for sure though.
>>
>>382123801
>93%
>>
>>382107901
No. If you were around for it, and weren't an underaged fuckwit, you'd know it had serious problems. Kill yourself retard
>>
File: original_xbox.jpg (33KB, 620x301px) Image search: [Google]
original_xbox.jpg
33KB, 620x301px
no THIS is the perfect console
>>
>calling PSX console PS1
>>
>>382108095
I still have the original PS1 controller lying around somewhere
>>
>>382125540
>trying to start shit 200 posts into a thread
Go back to /vr/ where the trolling is as out of date as the games.
>>
>>382111840
>CD meme
this fucking board sometimes.
>>
>>382125540
I owned a PSone which was the redesigned PS and literally had PSone on the box so i always called it PS1
>>
>>382107901

70% of the games were ugly unplayable shit
>>
>>382125243
>Xbox Hueg pros
Best versions of multiplats
Hackable
Lots of great, niche exclusives
Most advanced online at the time on console
System link
S controller is essentially a prototype 360 controller

>Xbox Hueg cons
It's Xbox Hueg
Vast majority of people think it only has Halo
Introduced paid online
Duke controller was Xbox Hueg
Not emulatable still after 16 years
Consoles are starting to die due to the faulty clock capacitor
>>
>>382126084
>2450 released game
It was the best of its time
>>
>>382107901
SNES is easily the best console
>>
File: Wii-Console.png (560KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Wii-Console.png
560KB, 1200x1200px
no THIS is the best console ever made
>>
>>382125540
>because it wasn't called the PSX you literal fucking retard
>>
>>382111165
you fucking weeb
>>
>>382112080
Xbox controllers seemed far more sega-influenced at the start to me.
>>
>>382126832
>Duke controller
>cons
That pad was the comfiest gamepad I ever had in my hands
>>
>>382126941
Nope. Ugly design, archaic controller, limited to 2D games, sidescroller heaven. Try again.
>>
>>382127326
Maybe I'm just going off of memory from being 10 when it launched, but that shit was unwieldable. Like, not only was it too big, but the shape was so retarded that you can't even properly hold it. Maybe now as an adult, it's probably not as bad with bigger hands. But I still bought an OG Xbox with S controllers because S controllers seem to be designed a bit more sensibly. Even the face button layout on the Duke looks dumb. Narrow diagonal ovals? Round circles just seem easier to press.
>>
>>382111165
No, it's perfect. Fuck all westacucks.
>>
>>382126945
>Wii pros
Hackable
Free online
Backwards compatible with Gamecube
Plenty of great, niche exclusives
Quite a few games support GameCube controller or Classic controller

>Wii cons
Waggle
Shovelware
Online was shit
Shit hardware, so graphics weren't great
Got few, if any, multiplats due to the shit hardware
>>
File: nitendofallos2.gif (1019KB, 352x288px) Image search: [Google]
nitendofallos2.gif
1019KB, 352x288px
>>382128745
WAGGLE WAS GREAT YOU FUCK
>>
why buy a PSOne when the PS2 is backwards compatible?
>>
>>382119115
Saturn's got a really okay library.
the issue is that the Saturn has almost fuck-all 3D exclusive games (really, most of the non Sega developed 3D Saturn games are PS1 ports)

like, if I'm looking for a 3D platformer on Saturn, I'm stuck with fucking Bug, Croc and Ninpen Manmaru (which is super jank, although that's mostly due to it being full of fiddly tiny platforms than the controls and camera being unworkable)
the machine had some solid 3D racing games, from top shit like Sega Rally and (Japanese) Daytona CE to other less known games like F1 Challenge and Hang-On GP (which kind of sucks, but I still enjoy it)
if you liked Sega's 3D fighters, the machine was brilliant (also, VF2 and DOA run at a brilliant full 480i)
and then there are some other things (Bulk Slash is great, but there's very little else for 3D action on the Saturn, the Panzer Dragoon series as a whole is stellar, Wing Arms kind of sucks, so does Sky Target other than the cool bosses)
NiGHTS is fun, but it's still kind of weird. Burning Rangers looks cool (by fucking literally rendering the scene twice every frame so it can do the transparency effects), but it's a bit jank as a game and performance suffers a bit.

there's loads of solid arcade stuff, but most of it is better played in MAME at this point

and I've listed a decent amount of games, but I could go on for longer with the PS1 and list better games overall

>>382119906
>Has graphics that would embarrass the 3DO
Japanese CE fixes that. US CCE fixed it too, but it fucks with the handling, soundtrack, and other shit.

also
>Whole game can be beaten in less than 10 minutes
mate, the game is from the same time period that Ridge Racer is, and that's a game with literally two tracks

>>382117897
N64 library had more big name titles by far. Sega's biggest hits on the Saturn were games like VF2 and Sega Rally, games that were already huge in the arcade.

PS1 did way better than it had any right to, and I love that machine.
Thread posts: 216
Thread images: 38

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.