[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's your favorite game that uses procedural generation?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 4

File: fractal-chess.png (407KB, 498x496px) Image search: [Google]
fractal-chess.png
407KB, 498x496px
What's your favorite game that uses procedural generation? Do you think they use random elements well?
>>
File: Dwarf-Fortress2.png (136KB, 1279x751px) Image search: [Google]
Dwarf-Fortress2.png
136KB, 1279x751px
>>382069231
obligitory
>>
>>382069231
Towerclimb.

Yes, and no at the same time if that makes sense. Chapter 2 is the better part of the game, and while still random, it's a lot more focused and straightfoward in what you'll face. You'll always do the Wheels segment, but the shape of it is a bit different.

I don't think it becomes that different each time so in that sense, I think it's not using random elements that well. But at the same time, it's forcing you to get through the same kind of content in a slightly altered variety of it so you can't just go through it with identical inputs from memory.
>>
File: fc,550x550,black.jpg (84KB, 550x550px) Image search: [Google]
fc,550x550,black.jpg
84KB, 550x550px
Binding Of Isaac
I honestly think it handles random elements almost perfectly. Sometimes you get dealt a bad hand but I don't get frustrated when each playthrough is ~30 minutes. My only gripe is that I got bored of fighting the same bosses/enemies in my many many runs, but that doesn't have anything to do with the procedural stuff. I hope Munroe's next game is as good.
>>
File: ill_rec_084.jpg (88KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
ill_rec_084.jpg
88KB, 800x800px
bump
>>
back from page ten
cmon /v/!
>>
>>382069442
Toady made a sequel?
>>
>>382073758
Achhtually it would be called Slaves To Armok Chapter III
>>
>>382069442
Really, few games are as impressive as Dorf Fort in terms of procedural generation
>>
Terraria honestly, because of all the little details like breakable shit, different enemies, pots, chests, underground cabins, gem caves, spider caves, underground pools and mushroom biomes, etc etc.

And then there's the underground desert, jungle, corruption/crimson and ice biomes to add even more variety to the underground. Every once in a while you stumble upon some weird world generation as well.

I think the most important reason it worked well though is that there was an actual game to be found, that is facilitated by the random generation, instead of being a bland and empty everything with no purpose and three kinds of blocks that don't do anything different from one another.
>>
Spelunky. It's rigid enough to leave you with a workable path but randomized enough that different iterations have their own ratio of perks and difficulty
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.