[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>developer makes game >developer makes sequels to said

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 200
Thread images: 23

File: fag.jpg (27KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
fag.jpg
27KB, 900x900px
>developer makes game
>developer makes sequels to said game
>gameplay becomes somewhat derivative because they're fucking sequels
>make a 20 minute video pointing this out and whining like a retard
>get angry that the sequels don't have as many gimmicks as the original
>collect patreon money
Does anyone here honestly think that he makes a decent point?
>>
>>382058704
Literally who?
>>
>>382058704
You're just mad cause you can't make anything worth shit with your time.
>>
>>382059049
Matt, how old is your gf?
She sounds 12. Are you a pedo?
>>
I like Matt but the last video was pure whining.

"Wah, this game isnt exactly like the other game."

And you motherfucking know if it was exactly the same the point would just have been "Wah, it isnt any different from the other game."

You cant please anyone no matter what. I personally love all the souls games. Theyre all good, with BloodBorne being my favorite one because the setting/lore/etc. Stop fucking whining and fighting over which game is "best" you fucking manbabyfaggots.
>>
>suddenly /v/ hates him because he didn't praise Bloodboredom like it's some holy symbol of gaming
Loving every laugh.
>>
>>382059351
>he didn't praise Bloodboredom like it's some holy symbol of gaming
It is though. I'm a pcbro and even i will admit it.
>>
>>382059285
What? His whole point was that it WAS the same game. From never tried to innovate or improve much in any of the Souls games. He made that clear several times, from fighting mechanics to boss design.
>>
>>382059604
Matt leave this thread
>>
Clearly he is disappointed in BOTW if he went back to souls vids.
>>
>>382058704
>wahhh he didn't jerk off Bloodborne

I'm glad he's willing to drop truth bombs and not preach to the choir.
>>
>>382058704
>Waaaaah!!!! Mommy! Mommy! The mean man on the internet disagreed with me :(((((((((((((((( Waaaah!!
Cringe
>>
>>382059604

Not him but why should a company innovate if they already have a proven niche. Just keep making what the fans want.
>>
>>382059683
He isn't reviewing BOTW until all the DLC is released.
>>
>>382059683
He's waiting until the DLC to review it. Though I'm personally hoping he rips the game to shreds.
>>
File: 1495078137006.jpg (67KB, 569x802px) Image search: [Google]
1495078137006.jpg
67KB, 569x802px
>>382059049
>>382059351
>>382059604
>>382059705
>>382059721
Matt?
>>
His point was that the later games continued some of parts of Demon Souls; the combat and exploration, but left out the parts that actually made Demon Souls an incredibly unique and interesting experience. You know this, though, because you're just trying to stir shit up like you always do when you make these threads.
>>
>>382059604
Theyre fucking sequels. What do you want? The games are all very similar, with enough differences to actually be different enough between them but still being part of the game series.

I just dont understand what you niggers want. Do you want it to be exactly the same or completely different? Do you want it to be very similar or very unfamiliar? Do you want it to be half new and half old?

Like what the fuck? Why dont you just enjoy yourself. And if you dont, get over it. Sorry you didnt like it, kill yourself if youre that upset. No one answer will please you people. If the game isnt some perfect combination of new and old, you wont be happy. Protip: nothing is ever a perfect combo of new/old.
>>
>>382059753
Dude, even Miyazaki showed he didn't give a fuck with the recent games. As early as Dark Souls 2, he said he wanted to move on to other stuff. Then when he became president (after they had already started DaS3) he decided that was the end of it. You're retarded if you think a developer wants to just make the same thing over and over. It's usually an executive or publisher demanding it be the same for maximum profitability.
>>
>>382059774
what will you do if he likes it?
>>
>>382059753
It's not what the fans wanted, though; that's why most Souls fans were disappointed with DaS2 and 3.
>>
>>382058704

>get angry that the sequels don't have as many gimmicks as the original

Gimmicks are often good. When your whole console or game is counting on one gimmick, that's a problem. But if a level or a bossfight has a gimmick, that's just good variety.
>>
>>382059953
>You're retarded if you think a developer wants to just make the same thing over and over.

Well Terada made SRW games for 25 years and there's 70+ games in the series.
>>
File: 1471017156228.png (5KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
1471017156228.png
5KB, 512x512px
>>382059904
You sound upset about the truth anon.
>>
>>382059470
>I'm a pcbro
no you're not
>>
File: 1495670949050.png (151KB, 341x314px) Image search: [Google]
1495670949050.png
151KB, 341x314px
>>382058704
>Wow, Demon's Souls was so innovative and experimental, even if some of the ideas were a little rough! The other Souls games needed to not be afraid of risks like DeS.
>Where the hell are the shields in Bloodborne? Why did they get rid of Estus in BB?
>>
>>382059774
He won't. It righted most of the wrongs he went over in his TP and SS reviews. He'll give it a good review, and provide some constructive criticisms in a few areas, like the combat for example.
>>
File: 2135676108.jpg (19KB, 500x295px) Image search: [Google]
2135676108.jpg
19KB, 500x295px
>>382060051
>Terada
We're talking about good developers. Sorry I had to actually point that out to you.
>>
>>382060232

As if you even know who he is.
>>
I fucking hate summer
>>
>>382060161
taking things away isn't innovation.
>>
>>382060268
>A literal who
You're just proving my point, anon.
>>
>>382060270
then leave. no one is forcing you here.
>>
>>382060343
>developers only matter if their games come to america!
>>
I never liked him and his Zelda/Mario reviews are boring and could be shortened 80% without losing any content.
>>
I unironically think that ds1 is the only good souls game
>>
>2 months no video
>releases a new one
>it's a fucking Souls video again
I swear this fucker probably just dumped something from years back
>>
fuck off and stop shilling this literal nigger here
e-celebs are not video games
>>
>>382060429
Never implied that. Still doesn't prove that he's good.
>>
>>382060161
he explains why that's not innovative in the video
>>
>>382060656

Can you name any games he's made that are bad or good? Because I can since he's made so many, but if you can't then you're just shitposting and don't know anything about him or his company.
>>
>>382060640
>Oh noez! I've went into a thread I don't like and posted in it. How could this be happening to me!?
>>
>>382060762
VIDEO
GAMES
>>
File: 1450571418431.png (202KB, 500x333px) Image search: [Google]
1450571418431.png
202KB, 500x333px
>>382060161

One, Dark Souls was already a series where you could be fast and aggressive at the cost of defense, but it was one option of many. In Bloodborne, they just made it the only option. Two, you can't really compare mechanical changes to unique and memorable moments. The Irithyll reveal is a memorable moment. Maiden Astrea killing herself is a memorable moment. Finding the Old Workshop is a memorable moment. Replacing an automatically replenishing, limited, and slow to use healing item with a faster, semi-limited, farmable healing item isn't a memorable moment, and it's not even a good change.
>>
I like Matt, I really do. Like, I like him as a person. But the more videos he makes the more I disagree with him.

I've been skeptical ever since the DS2 vid. hbomberguy did a fucking shit, gay-ass liberal unfunny rebuttal to it and still managed to BTFO most of Matt's WAAHHHH BLOODY OVERLAY whining.
>>
He's right to say that the combat is too shitty to be the absolute primary focus of the series and that the Souls games are more valuable as memorable experiences than as mechanically rigorous action games.
>>
>>382060817
Nigga, do you not see the Soulsborne discussion?
>>
>>382060904
>I like Matt, I really do. Like, I like him as a person. But the more videos he makes the more I disagree with him.

You can like someone but disagree with them and vice versa (dislike someone and agree with them).
>>
>>382060993
I see people talking about an e-celeb's opinions.
>>
>>382060993
sorry, didnt see those 2-3 actually discussing the game.
>>
>>382061070
Well, you have two options.
1.Leave the thread.
2.Keep whining and keep the thread you don't like alive.
>>
>>382061070
And yet here you are
>>
I steered clear of Dark Souls 2 and Dark Souls 3 and he does a pretty good job of articulating the reasons why I did that.

But to put it in my own words, I really liked the Metroid style interconnected world of Dark Souls 1, and was disappointed to hear that it wouldn't be in 2. Everything I've seen of Dark Souls 2 seemed to give off a vibe of cheapness and an overall drop in quality.

I picked up and played Bloodborne and felt like it was similarly a drop in quality, but I can't put my finger on why. The points he makes in the video are good, but to me it was something in the art direction that seemed lazy to me.

Anyway, he does a good job, and fuck you.
>>
>>382058704
>my biggest problem with Demon's Souls is that nobody says nigger.
>>
>>382059895
Dark Souls and Bloodborne were both unique from DeS, and DaS3 is loaded with nostalgia and references because it is meant to conclude these games. Matt is just some weirdo bandwagoner who is trying to make himself seem smarter than other Souls fans.
>>
>>382061231
I don't know sounds like you just got shit taste.
>>
>>382058704
t. buttmad DaS2 fan
>>
>>382060904
what points did hbomb make that you agreed with
>>
>>382061231
>bloodborne
>lazy art direction
Now that's a new one.
>>
File: 1493379784018.gif (128KB, 500x300px) Image search: [Google]
1493379784018.gif
128KB, 500x300px
>>382060303
>>382060892
But Matt also talks about how he likes the 'rough' mechanics in DeS. He likes white/black world tendency event even though most people hate them. He also likes that Souls form reduces your HP to half, even though most people use Cling Ring to bring it back up to 75% and there are multiple health regen items that can be used and stacked together for a very high and broken HP regen.
I'm not a big fan of the blood vial system myself, but someone could easily say that Miyazaki was trying to be "innovative" by combining the Estus system from DaS and the grass from DeS together.
>>
i like when he criticised das2 for having the pate and creighton storyline happen mostly offscreen then praised das1 because the npc storylines happened offscreen
>>
File: 1340812344095.jpg (5KB, 127x137px) Image search: [Google]
1340812344095.jpg
5KB, 127x137px
>rips on Super Mario Sunshine for being unfinished
>even quotes Miyamoto saying that "A delayed game can be good eventually, an unfinished game is forever bad"
>sucks Wind Waker's dick
>acknowledges cut content but glosses over it because the game is "fun"

He's a fucking hack
>>
>>382061723
That was such horse shit, the Pate/Creighton stuff was one of the better side quests in the series. It felt totally natural to have it happen offscreen and it forced you to make a choice in the moment.

Matt should stick to complaining about Bioshock.
>>
>>382061550

Bloodborne is a shit and lazy game with no soul
>>
>>382061942
(You)
>>
>>382059721
cringiest post of the thread
>>
>>382061893
It's one of the better sidequests until the end of it where it's clear they ran out of ideas and just said "whoever you chose to help was the bad guy all along :^)" and completely ruined it.
>>
>>382061806
Sunshine would be forgivable if the levels weren't an absolute dumpsterfire. Sunshine really demonstrated that Nintendo had its priorities skewed during development.
>>
>Waaah waaaah
Why do people do this? People who disagree with you is a child?
>>
>>382062061
Struck a nerve I see.
>>
>>382062072
No, they were both bad you idiot. Pate is a coward who would be happy to loot your corpse and Creighton is a madman serial killer. You are supposed to trust neither but rather cooperate to your mutial benefit.

I'm sure Matt missed this point because he's a mega casual.
>>
>>382061710
Those rough mechanics could easily be iterated on and improved but were dropped instead.
>>
>>382061710

He liked tendency and max HP reductions because, in addition to being innovative, they were daring and against the grain. The idea of making a game harder when the player failed goes against very common notions of game design, even if the players ultimately had multiple methods of mitigating these downsides.

Giving you a faster heal in a higher quantity is different from previous games, but not really daring or going against the grain. You could say that forcing players to go shieldless is daring, and I'd agree with that to an extent, but many people choose to play Souls games like that anyway because they enjoy it, not because it's the only playstyle available.
>>
>>382059904
Demon's Souls and Dark Souls were designed to be hard because it fit with the harshness of the atmosphere they were building. Dark Souls 2 and 3 bought into their own hype too much. The magic is still there but there's too much David and Goliath without enough thought put into the whys. While I love Bloodborne myself, I'm not actually a big fan of Orphan of Kos, because Matt was completely correct that after Ludwig and Maria this was going to feel samey. He's not shit talking sequels being similar, he's saying that they aren't presenting enough variety on a single-game basis. Ludwig's second phase is this awesome moment that perfectly compliments Gascoigne losing it, Orhpans and Maria's second phase are, "fuck you it's phase two and this game is supposed to be hard."

People are acting like he's gone full contrarian when he's made it abundantly clear that Dark Souls is his favorite in the series. That's far from a bold position.
>>
>>382062456
>completely missing the point of what I was talking about
Having the booby trapped home be either Pate or Creighton's depending on who you helped was a Telltale-tier bullshit copout.
>>
>>382058704
>tfw no loli gf
how did he do it?
>>
>>382061723
He didnt complain that things happened offscreen, you dishonest piece of shit, he said that because they were so focused on eachother, it was hard to feel involved in the storyline which is absolutely true. You don't actually do anything besides letting Crate out of his cage, and making a snap decision at the end to decide who you want to side with. Kill yourself.
>>
>>382062726
pate wants to kill you with the boobytrap to loot your stuff and creighton wants you to go in and trigger the boobytrap first so he can loot the reward

>>382062797
how is this any different to seigmeyer and sieglund?
>>
>>382061723
You're also a dishonest piece of shit, because Matt also said that that storyline was one of the best parts of DaS2, before he leveled the, completely called for, criticism of your involvement and the ending. Did you even fucking watch the video?
>>
>>382062898
Different actions you take completely change the storyline, it's not as if siegmeyer and sieglund are fighting at the end and you just choose to save one or the other. There are actually really specific conditions that YOU as the player, have to carry out throughout the questline in order to get the good ending. Again, kill yourself.
>>
>>382062712
You're retarded, Orphan going phase 2 is literally a parallel to Gasciogne.
>>
What's this? Loving Dark Souls got too mainstream so now it's Demon's Souls' turn to be the game REAL cultured gamers love?

wew
>>
>>382062726
Its Pate's. God, you people are dumb. Go play the actual games and stop letting a youtuber tell you your opinions.
>>
>>382063267
different actions influence the outcome of the pate and creighton quest too, for instance wearing the equipment pate gives you turns creighton hostile, this wasn't brought up at all in his video

>>382063403
fuck off back behind your paywall retard
>>
>>382062898

>how is this any different to seigmeyer and sieglund?

Because you have to do several, optional things interacting with Siegmeyer along the questline in order to progress it, not just exhausting dialogue at various points? And the final stage has you either going in and solving the problem yourself, which disheartens him and makes him realize he's not a very competent adventurer, letting him sacrifice himself to help you escape in an attempt to repay his debt to you, or him miraculously surviving, only to continue his lifestyle of putting himself in danger, and there would eventually be a time where you weren't there to save him.

Your interaction is required every step of the way, and can have a big impact on how it ends.
>>
>>382063520
>for instance wearing the equipment pate gives you turns creighton hostile, this wasn't brought up at all in his video
That hardly adds depth to the storyline at all, man, and just serves as another ending. Now that you've dropped the strawman, and started talking about this honestly you have literally no arguments. My suggestion is you actually watch matt's video, and then try refuting what he said.
>>
>>382063520

>fuck off back behind your paywall retard

But he has offers no extra content/perks for people who donate to his Patreon. Do you actually just hate him for having one at all?
>>
>>382063832
Not him but that's pathetic. You're dismissing a facet of the sidequest because it goes against your argument.
>>
>>382060048
Dunno, Demon's Souls bosses didn't have any cool gimmicks to them. Maybe the giant manta fight, but other than that, not really.
>>
>>382060147
different guy but Bloodborne is very good, bought a ps4 for it and gravity rush, cool your hot head

t. pc gaymur since Descent
>>
>>382064636
I enjoyed Fool's Idol myself but I agree with you.
>>
File: adios.gif (3MB, 270x266px) Image search: [Google]
adios.gif
3MB, 270x266px
>>382058704
>people are still this asshurt about his ds2 video

You faggots sucked his cock when he ripped Bioshock: Infinite 12 new assholes but now he's one of those subjects that induces rage to a select few autistic anons.
>>
>>382059834
4u
>>
>>382059683
>>382059774
Based on his twitter comments, he loves the game but wishes the difficulty didn't fall off a cliff in the late game. He also said he isn't going to do a video about the game before all the DLC is out.
>>
>>382064636
Old Hero is blind, listens for you. Lady Astraea was just an NPC bodyguard and a neat room. Tower Knight has archers and Achilles heels. Adjudicator has a dumb weak point. Phalanx, Armor Spider, Old Monk, Dragon God in particular. Fool's Idol. ManeaterS. leechmonger and Dirty Colossus are not very standard fights.

leaving Penetrator, Allant and Flamelurker as the kind of bosses that became typical from Artorias of the Abyss and beyond
>>
File: 1489560034293.png (8KB, 203x209px) Image search: [Google]
1489560034293.png
8KB, 203x209px
>Rant 10 minutes about how a game can't be a prequel to another game because they already explained the main character's hat
that was legit autistic
>>
Who are you talking about?
>>
>>382064636

I would say Yellow Monk is a very cool gimmick.

Most bosses still have something to make them stand out. You can argue whether it's good/cool, but it speaks to the design philosophy of the game to make each encounter different.
-Phalanx is helpless without the adds
-Tower Knight can be knocked over by slashing his ankles
-Allant can de-level you
-Armor Spider has a unique "webbed" effect that effectively over-encumbers you
-Fools idol has clones and immobilizing magic circles, plus a guy who revives her
-Maneaters can buff itself with the tail, which can be removed by attacking that part until it comes off
-Adjudicator is invulnerable except for weakpoints (common in other games, but something to spice up DeS where it's usually not the case)
-Old Hero is blind
-Leechmonger regens HP from attacking you
-Dirty Colossus can give you a fly swarm DoT effect, which can be removed by damaging yourself with fire (and an enemy NPC in the town illustrates this before the boss fight)
-Astrea bitterly takes her own life if you kill her companion
>>
>Yeah, the next video is coming up soon guys
>Well, to drop a little hint it's a Metroidvania, but it's not this or that game
>*deliberately ignores people in chat saying La-Mulana*
>anyway it'll be out shortly

>proceeds to post Soulshit video #287

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>382065648
I hope you're not trying to defend TLoZ SS
>>
>>382058704
I thought his latest video had well constructed arguments.

And yeah he's right the camera is shit, use K+M.

More generally, I think he makes mostly good videos although sometimes his biases show, such as his belief that competitive games cannot contain any kind of randomness (see his videos on Dota and on Pacman scoring). There's nothing wrong with having those biases, but if you don't agree with them, you're not going to agree with the arguments that are built upon them.
>>
>>382061608
not him but the narrative aspects of the game are legit 100% right when it comes to hbomberguy. Matt doesn't see metaphor and appreciates the effectiveness of a backstory that doesn't do anything in DaS1, while DaS2 intro tells little of what's happening but it uses symbolism to convey the tone of the game.
>>
>>382065905
>his belief that competitive games cannot contain any kind of randomness
That is objectively true.
>>
>>382065880
I do, but regardless of the quality of the game and the rest of his arguments through that video, that rant was the stupidest shit I've seen in his channel.
>>
File: 1498169340166.png (267KB, 469x357px) Image search: [Google]
1498169340166.png
267KB, 469x357px
>all these faggots that still insist on defending DaS2
>>
File: 1385349968201.png (42KB, 305x312px) Image search: [Google]
1385349968201.png
42KB, 305x312px
He was really overselling Demon's Souls and I say this as someone who likes DeS more than most of the other games too.

He said he liked the non-traditional bosses in DeS but then makes no mention of what he thought of the non-traditional bosses in the other games so it just makes it seem like he just wants to jerk off to DeS.

Also did anyone else get the impression that part of the reason he even made this was just so people could fuck off about asking him what he thought of Bloodborne and DaSIII?
>>
>>382058704
SOULBABBIES BTFO HA HA HA HA
>>
>>382066104
>giving contrarians attention
>>
>>382065987
Nope, it's an opinion. Or more accurately, the idea that randomness detracts from the "competitivity" of a game is an opinion. That there are competitive games that contain RNG is factually true (Quake, Starcraft to name the obvious ones)
>>
>>382065648

I agree that it's a kind of weak point, especially since MC was Capcom-developed, but I agree with the general idea behind it.

Essentially, "Nintendo cares too much about Link having a consistent image, as evidenced by them ignoring something in the timeline they established (Where MC starts with Link not having a hat, and shows an earlier hero with a tunic but no hat) just so that the character would look similar to how he looks in every other game." It reminds me of Miyamoto's attitude toward Mario, where he only wants "official" Mario characters (Mario, Peach, Toad, Koopalings, etc.) and enforced that mentality on the Paper Mario games.

BotW's team seems to have agreed with Matt's complaint, seeing as they ditched the traditional outfit altogether, and I think almost everyone was happy for the change.
>>
>>382059834
You're a big guy
>>
People aren't video games. Fuck off, Reddit.

>>>/reddit/
>>
>>382066746
There's literally no reason for future or past Links to wear the hat just because Minish Cap Link didn't have a hat at the start of the game. Complaining about ruining the origin of the hat is fucking stupid. That might as well be the story of how that Link got that hat, and became to look like the hero.
For that matter, the identity of previous hero that doesn't wore a hat is left ambiguous on purpose.
>>
>>382060892
>where you could be fast and aggressive at the cost of defense, but it was one option of many. In Bloodborne, they just made it the only option
Shields are still in Bloodborne, they just wanted them to be less central to it. And BB easily has Souls beat when it comes to options in combat
>>
>>382066189
>He was really overselling Demon's Souls and I say this as someone who likes DeS more than most of the other games too.
Honestly, the fact that every souls game has the same areas as DeS is as bothersome as every new Mario game having the same 8 areas over and over. It's lazy as fuck.
While I agree he oversold the bosses, the main complain of the video is completely right in my opinion
>>
File: 11422y216.jpg (227KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
11422y216.jpg
227KB, 500x500px
>>382058704
>be OP faggot
>Make shitty little thread on /v/
>whinging about some You Tuber whos making videos.
>>
>>382067351
yes, it's a grand total of 1 (one)
>>
>>382067480
2 (two) counting DLC. So like I said, you can still jerk off with your shield if you want
>>
>>382067083

I think it's pretty clear that MC was intended as a "how Link got his hat" story, even if it doesn't make sense why other Link's would carry on the tradition, or downright conflicts with other origins (i.e. OoT, where the hat is part of Kokiri garb and other people also wear it).

Still, I agree that it's weak and he goes on too long/harshly about it, but trying to enforce a common appearance for Link while the series works it's way backwards is a bad trend.
>LttP takes place long before LoZ 1+2 with a different character, why would he wear the same clothes?
>He needs to be recognizeable
>OoT takes place long before LttP, why would he have the same clothes?
>He needs to be recognizeable. Also, we'll have it be the clothes his village wears, to establish this as the origin of the outfit.
>MC takes place long before OoT, why would he have the same outfit, except for the hat?
>He needs to be recognizeable. This'll be the origin of the hat. Fuck that other origin.
>SS takes place long before MC, why would he be wearing the same clothes, but with a hat this time?
>He NEEDS to be recognizeable. This is the newest, truest origin of the clothes. Fuck all those other ones.
>>
Why most people on /v/ suck this guy's cock?
>>
>>382067425

>whinging
>>
>>382068421
they dont they bitch about him mostly and make threads like this.
>>
>>382068421
because he blows normies the fuck out
>>
>>382068501
Whoops little phone auto correct grammar error.
Oh Allah the great sand god how will I ever recover.
>>
>>382067351

>Shields are still in Bloodborne, they just wanted them to be less central to it.

One is included as a joke, even if it has some limited utility. The other blocks only a specific, fairly uncommon type of damage in BB. I could see them being used for short sections, but they're nothing like DaS, where you could design entire different builds around different types of shields.

>And BB easily has Souls beat when it comes to options in combat.

Nah. Weapons feel very samey. A weapon having two forms isn't really a big thing, especially in a series that has always allowed you to equip multiple weapons. The arcane items are very limited compared to the entirety of sorcery/miracles/pyromancy, and all that's left is evading, countering, and melee attacks. DaS has those things along with ranged abilities and shields. Bloodbornes entire shift was removing playstyles deemed too safe/easy, and what it added to melee combat was pretty minimal.
>>
>>382063323
A parallel that loses all impact when we saw a beast become more human in a second phase. Orphan's powerup is more akin to Gherman's.
>>
>>382068501
both words
>whinging
>whining

Still makes his point
>>
>>382058704
you need to stop posting here hbomberguy
>>
>>382058704
He was 100% right, demons souls is a superior game
>>
>>382058704

He's one of those ecelebs that parrots the most popular /v/ opinion and pukes it into a video for money. People here treat this guy like he's the Roger Ebert of video game critics or some shit. None of his arguments are solid enough to warrant the long rants and even if they make good points, your average /v/ poster already knows more than half of that shit already.

He has openly been here on /v/ and people shill him for free. It's fucking awful considering the majority here hate "ecelebs" yet praise this dumb guy that pretends really really hard like his opinion is one of the highest quality shits in the toilet.
>>
File: hack.jpg (71KB, 610x405px) Image search: [Google]
hack.jpg
71KB, 610x405px
>>382069704
t.levine
>>
As soon as I saw this video I got the biggest fucking boned because I knew /v/ would shit it's pants about it.

So glad to see bloodborne get btfo. So glad to see someone finally agree with me that demons souls was a way better game. It feels so fucking good to see you fucks get assblasted.

Bloodborne fucking sucked, it's the best litmus test for souls fans.
>>
Glad he called out From for changing mechanics for no reason or not fixing series wide flaws.
>>
>>382058704
>playerbase gets diluted by bros, fags and gamer girls
>sequals to original lose what originally made the game good
>he made a 20 minute video on this
I mean hes not wrong but this isn't exactly anything new, theres been an image rolling around on /v/ describing this exact scenario for like 7 or 8 years now?
someone please post the image it if they have it
>>
File: YP0qZ.jpg (8KB, 193x254px) Image search: [Google]
YP0qZ.jpg
8KB, 193x254px
>SotC review
>Calls HUD elements a flaw
Why should I listen to anything he says again?
>>
>>382072075
SotC was reviewed in pair with Ico, which didn't have any HUD or UI elements. Which is why he brings it up and suggests ways it could have done without a HUD so that it would be more in like with Ico.
>>
>>382072075
He seems like your typical "muh immersion" fag that you saw way back in 2012 /v/.
>>
>>382072606
>This sequel changed something present in the first game
>Therefore it's a flaw and needs to be corrected
His opinion on Dark Souls makes a lot more sense now.
>>
>>382072623

Back when /v/ was less shitty, you mean?
>>
>>382073112
>2012
>Less shitty
You're joking right?
>>
>>382073174
less shit than today if you ask me
>>
>>382073302
So you are joking.
>>
>>382072623
What did /v/ start valuing over immersion in recent times? Because it's certainly not gameplay.
>>
>>382073302
check 'em
>>
>>382073389
Graphics
>>
>>382058704
>still spouts that enemies swinging through walls gives them an "unfair advantage"

Matt, when encounters are designed around that fact it isn't a fucking "unfair advantage". Unless you're talking in immersive "it takes me out of the game" terms, in which case fuck off.

And you shouldn't have made this video without playing the King's Field games. In some cases Demon's Souls is regressive from that series. Dark Souls even brings back some of the better elements of King's Field.
>>
Why the fuck are you guys still upset over this?
>>
He's right about the gimmicks though
>>
>>382074108
People are upset their favorite game series gets criticized
>>
>>382059285
I wouldn't say that it was pure whining, sure a lot of his points were purely "muh opinion" but he was right about some things, like that fact that bosses in all the souls game got progressively less interesting in design and gameplay.

Fighting a big boss with a large weapon that you have to dodge attacks before exploiting an opening is fun and interesting the first time, but having to fight the same kind of boss over 6 times with no actual gameplay changes is boring.

From has the same problem with having bosses be multiples too, too many bosses are just 2-3 enemies you have to fight at once.

Not to mention literal repeats like the belfry tower gargoyles, which is just the same boss except now there's more of them.
>>
File: 1496266613132.jpg (78KB, 968x745px) Image search: [Google]
1496266613132.jpg
78KB, 968x745px
>these "people" are actually getting upset because some random guy on youtube made fun of their video game
>>
>>382075057

>Fighting a big boss with a large weapon that you have to dodge attacks before exploiting an opening is fun and interesting the first time, but having to fight the same kind of boss over 6 times with no actual gameplay changes is boring.

The movesets are different and bosses have different phases, you can't call non gameplay changes.

Moreover, if you aren't satisfied with the core gameplay loop even with some repetition then maybe you never really liked the series. People have played sports like soccer or tennis for years without any big changes because for them the core rules are entertaining enough. I don't know exactly what you're expecting out of a sequel, since they have done a couple of different things like the aforementioned phases or multiple enemies like the recent painted world final boss.
>>
File: 1490846460290.jpg (73KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
1490846460290.jpg
73KB, 640x640px
Every single person I see try to "refute" Matthew's arguments literally just says the exact thing he says he isn't saying.
You people need to work harder at actually listening to what he says rather than jumping to the defense of Dark Souls because you think you're cool for liking it.
>>
I just wanted him to talk about Dark Souls 3 but instead he made a video about Demon Souls again.

Really disappointed.
>>
>>382075527
He made his thoughts on 3 pretty clear in this video. It's highly derivative and fails to learn from the mistakes and successes of the previous games. It's fine but it's not memorable.
>>
>>382059834
>anyone disagreeing with you is obviously the creator of what you're disagreeing with
This forced meme needs to die.
>>
>>382075527
REDDIT DETECTED
PURGE IMMEDIATELY
>>
>>382058704
>e-celeb bullshit
fuck off cancer
>>
>>382075392
Sports like soccer and tennis are played for the competition, not the experience. It's a test of a players skill against another player.

Video games like dark souls are 99% singleplayer experiences where innovation and unique development is not only looked favorably upon but also encouraged.

Different movesets is hardly a gameplay change. It's still the same thing as previous bosses, sit back and play defensively until you've memorized the bosses patterns, then exploit the pre programmed openings. Repeat until they're dead then move onto the next boss that does the same thing.

As for different phases, most of them are literally just the same thing except they make it a test of patience rather than a test of skill. Irithyll of the boreal valley is a good example of this, the second phase doesn't actually add anything to the fight, it just makes it arbitrarily harder for the sake of difficulty.

I'm more than satisfied with the core gameplay, I'm just not satisfied with facing the same boss designs over and over with just a new coat of paint. It's lazy and overdone.
>>
>>382075392
A game can be much more than just a core gameplay loop, anon.
>>
>>382075965
SHUT UP REDDIT
GET IN THE OVEN LIKE THE FILTHY JEW YOU ARE
>>
>>382075825
stfu hothead
>>
>>382076176
you stfu reddit
>>
>>382075958
>being this new
>>
>>382058704
I think that the people who say this are really beef jerky.
>>
>>382076070
>>
>>382075648
that's not ENOUGH, i want a video like he did for DS2.
>>
>>382075965
>>382076018

Look, I agree that more can be done on bosses, a lot of the gimmicks on DeS were interesting and them being developed more in the sequels would obviously be a good change.

That said, if you got to a point in DS2/3 that you were literally bored with dodging and waiting for openings then again, I don't think you really like the core loop. Maybe my analogy to sports was flawed, but you can look at another game series like the 2D Mario games instead. Some of them really lack in innovation and become a bit repetitive, like NSMB Wii or NSMB 2, but their core game is still fun because the mechanics are solid. The same applies to the DS series really, but I'd argue that they never dipped that low.
>>
>>382076808

>i want a video like he did for DS2.

Despite getting a lot of attention for his critique/negative videos, he's obviously more interested in doing videos on games he thinks are good. Rattling off the many problems in a game a lot of people agree is pretty flawed isn't as interesting as finding the areas a great game could be even better.
>>
>>382059604
>From never tried to innovate or improve much in any of the Souls games
I don't even like the Souls games and I know that's not true. Hell, people hated on Dark Souls 2 because it tried to innovate and improve.
>>
>>382077087

Didn't he like DS2?

Moreover he seemed to enjoy Mario/Zelda and he was also overly critical of both.
>>
>>382062239
It's just a way to mock somebody with an opinion you don't like.
>>
>>382076968
>I don't think you really like the core loop

That's the thing. There shouldn't BE a core loop. I agree with Matthew on the combat mechanics, they're not deep enough to hold up an entire game composed of combat.
It's why, despite Bloodborne being my favorite of the games and having my favorite combat, I cannot stand chalice dungeons. Because they're nothing but combat.

If you love Souls combat so much that it keeps you interested despite not really ever changing then that's fine, that's preference, but it's not my preference, and there's absolutely no harm in throwing a few gimmicky, atmospheric bosses in with the mechanical ones.
What does throwing in a Maiden Astraea or a King Allant harm the game? Very little, really. Soul of Cinder would have been best that way. Have him be a pathetic, drained creature with no soul left to feed the fire, like an even more fargone Gwyn.
You still have Nameless King if you want your fill of hardcore combat and he's definitely harder than Soul of Cinder in most people's books, so he can be your boss if that's what you want.

Just don't deprive me, the singleplayer guy who loves the atmosphere and worldbuilding more than anything, of emotionally satisfying experiences.
>>
>>382076808
Well, aren't we spoiled.

Dude, you're not going to get what you want. He's not going to make a 40 minute Dark Souls 3 rant, and he may not even be making a 4 hour Bloodborne video anymore. If you keep expecting people to make what you want out of them, then you become spoiled and incapable of possessing thoughts or conclusions of your own. It's exactly what happened with the rise and fall of Global Rule 15 "analysts".

If you want a Dark Souls 3 rant, either make one yourself, or go looking elsewhere, because Matthewmatosis isn't going to make one.
>>
>>382077383

Alright, that's fair.
Yes, for me the mechanics currently in the game are enough to engage me, but I can't argue against trying to do different things, I'd think that could make for a better game. I'd never consider the sequels inherently flawed though just because they focused on the combat aspect.
>>
Official /v/ challenge time!
Say something nice about each Soul's game!
>>
Emerald Herald or Gwynevere?
>>
>>382059351

I haven't been a big fan of his work and I've seen other anons that are about the same. But by all means just call us all bloodborne fans and disregard the hate he's received in the past.
>>
>>382077585
it's fine, i'll assume he didn't like DS3 and continue playing it myself because i enjoyed it, it had the best combat of all the souls game, bloodborne not included
>>
>>382077862
Then that's your conclusion to make. If you like it and want to keep liking it, then that's fine. The real problem is that the tone of your posts makes you seem so indecisive that if Matt made a rant video about DS3, you'd turn against it immediately.
>>
>>382077714
They aren't flawed, per se, but they lack anything to separate them from previous titles. What reason do I have to play dark souls 3 over dark souls 1 or demons souls if it's just the same formula repeating itself again? I mean either way I'm gonna get a giant boss with slow, strong attacks that I have to roll away from before running in and cutting his legs. I'm gonna get the same slightly taller humanoid with a sword that I have to roll around and take a swing at periodically. If I'm looking for pure gameplay, there's little reason to ever play the other games outside of pvp.
>>
>>382063323
>Gasman transforms from a hunter into a beast
>Ludwig transforms from a beast into a hunter
>Orphan transforms from a wailing baby into a wailing baby with wings and explosions

Woah... deep lore.
>>
>>382077805
Dark souls 2 is always pretty cheap to buy, so there's that.
>>
>>382078290

>What reason do I have to play dark souls 3 over dark souls 1 or demons souls if it's just the same formula repeating itself again?

They aren't the same games. I agree with you that we could have more originality but to call them the same experiences with nothing new to offer is overlooking a lot of nuances. Fuck, I can argue about the Mega Man classics and those games are much more similar to each other.

In souls you have things like gear, weapons, level/world designs, spells, covenants and hell even things like engine differences that all matter to making the experience feel distinct. Moreover the bosses aren't the same even if they follow the same paradigm and lead to different experiences.
>>
>>382058704
Honestly I thought the exact same thing when I watched that vid. The guy is autismo. No wonder he's a weeb too.
>>
>>382080239
he's a self-hating weeb who only wants to watch mature anime for mature individuals such as himself
>>
>>382080425
So... he doesn't like Hidamari Sketch?
>>
File: 1498547251352.jpg (41KB, 326x326px) Image search: [Google]
1498547251352.jpg
41KB, 326x326px
It's a stupid video. He's right about DS2 and 3 but to say Dark Souls is just a sequel that improved already existing mechanics is retarded.

The level design (which he mentioned) is a massive innovation to the series. The covenant system is just as big, ambitious and unique as the shitty world tendency he jerks off. Then he complains about lack of unique bosses that feel like an adventure game rather than an action game when it has Gwyndolin, Ceaseless Discharge, Priscilla, moonlight butterfly and Taurus demon. I mean fuck, you could even throw seath in there.
>>
File: 1481644901030.png (727KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
1481644901030.png
727KB, 960x540px
Who here's watching the true kino DS walkthrough?
>>
>>382080850
>can't even go 1 hour without e-celeb shit
>>
>>382080850
>Poopie XD
No thanks
>>
>>382075452
I think he said that DaS1 is still his favourite game in the series
>>
>>382080850

I dunno, I tried watching it but it's hard to listen to. He makes good points here and there, but a lot of it is just baffling.

>See the Ringed Knights in the DaS3 DLC
>Notice how they look similar to Darkwraiths
>"Ah, okay. Since these were some of the earliest warriors who used the Dark, I guess the implication is that the later Darkwraiths based their armor off of the Ringed Knights."
>Eli brings the point up that they look similar
>"It just makes no sense, there were no Darkwraiths back then, why would their armor look like Darkwraiths. Stupid."

Also he's really bad; strange that someone who complains that future Souls games focus too much on challenge would include two mods that purely add challenge to the game.
>>
>>382080850
>Constantly lambasts people for finding difficulty fun
>Becomes a pissy baby whenever he dies and claims the attacks that kill him are "unfair"
Nah
>>
>>382080958
Did you even check the OP?
>>
>>382069704
>He parrots the most popular /v/ opinion
But most people see Demon's Souls as the worst souls games and it's on the bottom of everyone's tier list.
Also a large number of the games he reviews aren't even games /v/ talks about
>>
File: 1493713025505.jpg (24KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1493713025505.jpg
24KB, 500x500px
>>382084573

>But most people see Demon's Souls as the worst souls games and it's on the bottom of everyone's tier list.

KEK, do you actually believe this?
>>
>>382085097
People who say that are probably shitposting or never played the game.
Same with people who put BB at the bottom of their lists
>>
>>382085097
Probably a DS2 fan.
>>
>>382072889
The developer was clearly going for minimalism and tried to remove as many HUD elements as possible, these intentions were expressed in multiple interviews, so to point out ways to remove more of them as suggestions isn't at all unwarranted or unreasonable.

But keep shitposting, fuck actual discussion right?
Thread posts: 200
Thread images: 23

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.